No announcement yet.

Lana Del Rey - Norman F*cking Rockwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future generations will marvel that one album contained “Venice Bitch” and “Mariners Apartment Complex” and “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it.” And they will scoff in disbelief that Lana Del Rey was once treated as anything but the poet laureate of a world on fire. –Amy Phillips
    I hope they all looked into the mirror after this list, because Pitchfork has done Lana dirty all these years, especially with BTD.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• hope is a dangerous thing is #22 on Pitchfork's year end list.

22. Lana Del Rey: “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it”

In 2019, Lana Del Rey doesn’t have to explain why she considers hope to be a dangerous thing, but what does she mean by “a woman like me?” How does one of the decade’s greatest pop music enigmas define herself? In the piano-ballad closer of Norman ******* Rockwell!, she offers a few clues: She finds inspiration from Sylvia Plath and photographer Slim Aarons. She’s not quite happy but she’s definitely not sad.

Because the arrangement never picks up—it’s just Jack Antonoff’s muted piano, his pauses as loud as the chords themselves—Del Rey pushes the dynamics with her vocal delivery, building to a whispered falsetto as affecting as any of her most elaborate crescendos. Once upon a time, listening to her music meant scouring all the references and layers to find the reasons for the apocalyptic dread in her voice, the slow-burning romance in her melodies, the nostalgic haze of her videos. On “hope is a dangerous thing,” she lays the mystery bare, looking directly into our eyes and telling us what she sees. –Sam Sodomsky
      https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...st-songs-2019/

Comment

• The greatest is #2 on Pitchfork's year end song list.

2. Lana Del Rey: “The Greatest”

On “The Greatest,” the big one—the ultimate disaster—looms large. Civilization teeters toward oblivion, the temperature climbs upward, and Lana Del Rey is our soothsayer. She narrates these end times with a wry resignation that’s nostalgic and tactile, dreamy yet prickly. Pining for Long Beach and a lost lover, missing the music and nightlife of New York, her response to the future is to cling to her past. She’s had a ball, but as she flips through the photo album, she concedes that the culture is a little too lit, that the heat is making her breath feel heavy.

The gut punch of the song is that despite her exhaustion, she sounds fulfilled. There's contentment in her voice as it floats over Jack Antonoff's sour guitar chords and soft keys, as if she’s savoring her just desserts. This isn’t just a character study, though: As one woman's world goes up in smoke, Del Rey zooms out to observe other anguishes: Kanye West is a shadow of himself; Hawaii is panicked by fictional missile strikes; David Bowie’s vision of life on Mars is now being pursued by Elon Musk. As her voice drops to a whisper, she takes in this surreal and depressing panorama—what a truly ludicrous ending, right?—then suddenly she perks up. Why? Because there’s a livestream to watch. The greatest loss of all, it turns out, is our attention spans. –Stephen Kearse
        https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...st-songs-2019/

Comment

• #6 on Billboard's AOTY list.

6. Lana Del Rey, Norman F--king Rockwell

It all started in September 2018 with "Mariners Apartment Complex," a dreamy and somber rock ballad. Nearly a year later, Norman F--king Rockwell arrived, teeming with that very specific combination of power and grace that Lana Del Rey has been building for the past decade. Penultimate track “Happiness Is a Butterfly” features velvety vocals and references from the Lana Del Lexicon (iconic American landmarks, serial killers, dancing). Then there’s “Venice B--ch,” a soothing, near-ten minute psychedelic rock opus that makes you miss the '70s, even if you weren’t born yet. Suddenly, Del Rey seemed universally loved by critics; not that this was a terribly vital development. With Lana, the point has never been whether you like her or not -- "fresh out of f--ks forever" can be interpreted in a number of ways -- it’s about how she makes you feel, as any LDR fan knows. Still, it propelled her to an overdue album of the year nod at the 2020 Grammys. -- GAB GINSBERG
          https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...of-2019-top-50

Comment

• Loving all this praise. Wish Honeymoon got this praise too tho :(

Comment

• #5 on Albumism’s 50 Best Albums of 2019 list.

#5 | Lana Del Rey | Norman F***ing Rockwell!
              Polydor/Interscope

According to Matthew Hocter: “What this album most definitely is, is a carefully created and curated piece of musical history. An album that speaks to those eager to listen and yes, an album comprised of many dimensions and layers. You see, Lana Del Rey ultimately is just that: Lana Del Rey. I see no one particular persona at all, rather I see the many layers and complexities of an artist exploring the trials and tribulations that many of us go through, something that she the artist and let’s not forget, human being, is just putting out there for all to hear. Again, something that most of us will never do.”
              https://www.albumism.com/lists1/best...-fing-rockwell
              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• She is running away with aggregated year end list charts. On AOTY.org with 57 lists compiled (usually the do about 130-140 lists, so the gap will be bigger) these are the current standings.

1 Lana Del Rey - Norman ******* Rockwell!
                210 Points

2 FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
                130 Points

3 Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
                127 Points

4 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
                117 Points

5 Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

6 Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
                98 Points

7 Tyler, the Creator - IGOR
                97 Points

8 Solange - When I Get Home9 Points

9 Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
                89 Points

10 Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
                81 Points

So far the biggest blowout was in 2017 when Kendrick Lamar's DAMN was #1 with 718 points in front of Lorde's Melodrama with 418 points.

Comment

• Also way ahead on Metacritic's aggregated lists so far.

1 Norman ******* Rockwell by Lana Del Rey 65.5
                  2 When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? by Billie Eilish 34.5
                  3 Ghosteen by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 34
                  4 Magdalene by FKA twigs 30.5
                  5 All Mirrors by Angel Olsen 29.5
                  6 Purple Mountains by Purple Mountains 22.5
                  7 Igor by Tyler, The Creator 22
                  8 Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood 21
                  9 Remind Me Tomorrow by Sharon Van Etten 19
                  10 Dogrel by Fontaines D.C. 18.5

Comment

• It will really be a travesty if this doesn’t get its grammy. It really is such a phenom album
                    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• Happy for her, but #JusticeforLustForLife
                      Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• This album is a snoozefest compared to her previous records.

I literally find nothing exciting on it apart from Doin‘ Time.

Her previous records had much more appeal to me personally.
                        DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Bartender deserves it. Yas

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                              This album is a snoozefest compared to her previous records.

the audacity I think you don’t like it cause it is less mainstream and urban than her previous ones.
                              For me it’s her absolutely best effort.
                              Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                This album is a snoozefest compared to her previous records.

Preach
                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Even though I enjoy this album, it's also not one of my favorite records by Lana.

Comment

• Honeymoon > NFR (so far) > Born To Die / Paradise > Ultraviolence > Lust For Life

Comment

• It's a tie between NFR & Honeymoon for me. I am a 'snoozefest' lover
                                      "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
                                      https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
                                      "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

• NFR> Ultraviolence > Born To Die/Paradise> Lust For Life> Honeymoon

I love all of them and this order changes quite often.
                                        Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• NFR>Ultraviolence>Born to Die>Paradise>Lust for Life>Honeymoon here
                                          ? i bloom just for you ?

Comment

• Ultraviolence is quite a mood throughout.
                                            DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Comment

• Not a fan of Honeymoon or L4L at all.
                                              She won me over again w/NFR and yaaay, we'll have a Bartender vid, one of my faves off the album!
                                              Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• All of this critical acclaim really is justice. This album feels like such a triumph (and return to form of sorts for me since I didn't really connect with the previous two compared to Ultraviolence and Born to Die).
                                                late.

Comment

• I’ve always felt she deserved this acclaim. I’ve always been left scratching hung my head As to why she hasn’t had this level of acclaim until now. Each one of her previous albums is different from the next her she sticks to her sound and evolves it. She’s a lyrical genius.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post
                                                    I’ve always felt she deserved this acclaim. I’ve always been left scratching hung my head As to why she hasn’t had this level of acclaim until now. Each one of her previous albums is different from the next her she sticks to her sound and evolves it. She’s a lyrical genius.
                                                    She's a woman, it's always more difficult for a woman to be taken serious and that combined with the false start on SNL that haunted her for a LONG time resulted in an underrated career critically.
                                                    I of course wish it wouldn't have to be like that, it's unfair, but the fact she managed to do it NOW instead of being completely forgotten says so much about her talent.
                                                    She's really, to me, THE most talented lady in music that emerged this decade.
                                                    "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
                                                    https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
                                                    "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X