X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Westen View Post
    Wow, it's been ages since we agreed on something
    <3

I'm actually shocked how bad this is since I LOVED her previous work. I listened to it few times hoping it would grow on me, but it sounded worse each time. Melodies are so uninspired and lyricial content is on elementary school level. I'm starting to suspect she was forced to record this album.
    When we lose what we love
    Don't think anything will ever taste the same
    When we lose what we love
    Don't think anything will ever feel as good again

Comment

• Originally posted by NoAngel View Post
      <3

I'm actually shocked how bad this is since I LOVED her previous work. I listened to it few times hoping it would grow on me, but it sounded worse each time. Melodies are so uninspired and lyricial content is on elementary school level. I'm starting to suspect she was forced to record this album.
      Tbh the only reason I listened to this album more than once is because I love Marina, I hope at least it can grow on me... After few listens Karma and Emotional Machine are catchy, but I don't feel anything listening to this album, it's so bland I don't even hate it

Comment

• Completely agree with both of you, Westen and NoAngel :(

Comment

• Handmade Heaven, To Be Human, Emotional Machine and Life Is Strange are the most reminiscent of her old days (very TFJ but with a new touch).

I really love Emotional Machine and my favorite truly is To Be Human. Very beautiful.

Comment

• Just saw an interview of hers and she said Superstar is the next single.

Anyways; i can declare there's not even a single filler on this outstanding album, i love it to pieces. I mixed and matched the tracklist of the both parts and now it even flows more perfectly.
            Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

• It’s not that bad, people are being so dramatic! It’s definitely not ‘kooky’ Marina and has elements of being generic/mainstream but it’s still very Marina.

Fear is just epic for me now, I have it on repeat. Many of the song lyrics are quite relatable and delivered with a more mature/simple perspective now that she’s a bit older. Really loving Believe in Love and Too Afraid
              You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• I now have No More Suckers and Soft to be Strong on repeat and shuffle. Just those two!

Comment

• Originally posted by westhammer View Post
                  It’s not that bad, people are being so dramatic! It’s definitely not ‘kooky’ Marina and has elements of being generic/mainstream but it’s still very Marina.

Fear is just epic for me now, I have it on repeat. Many of the song lyrics are quite relatable and delivered with a more mature/simple perspective now that she’s a bit older. Really loving Believe in Love and Too Afraid
                  THIS!!! I’m sure in one other first interviews for this era it was pretty much said this would be her most mainstream sounding album

Comment

• I was quite disappointed by the album(s) as it lacks anything distinctive aside from her vocals, lyrics and some of the track arrangements. It's like Electra Heart without the edge or story. Did she get her budget slashed on this record? Orange Trees is my favourite track so far.

My favourite Marina is Froot Marina but we all know how that performed chart-wise. I hope this record does better, I just want her to have a hit single damn it! She's already served her fans plenty of pop gems so there's no need for a retread.
                    Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
                    Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

• After more listening, I've come to the conclusion that I still prefer Love. It has much bigger highs (Handmade Heaven, Superstar, Baby, To Be Human) than Fear, which is mostly meh and only Life Is Strange sounds like something she would do before.

The songwriting on both parts is really safe, lazy and clunky, but luckily her vocals manage to save it sometimes, and there are still great moments (again, Handmade Heaven). I am just kinda shocked that the person who wrote Numb, Rootless, Froot, etc. is now writing lazy rhymes like in True. Most of the songs, even the better ones, feel like she just forced words to fit the catchy melodies, which often ends up as sounding cheesy, lazy, forced, whatever you call it.

The concept is pretty underdeveloped and random, basically she sings about the same things in both parts, so no need to split them, unless if she wanted to put 14 songs and make it easier to listen to. But she could've easily made a much better 10-track album by dropping some of the clunk.

I wish she'd included more of her Greek heritage into the songs. Karma sounds amazing in the verses, but then the basic pop chorus brings it down.

It's definitely her worst for me, but even her worst is a nice pop album. It's just that she set the bar so high with her previous album, which were all stellar and unique, that this one just seems underwhelming. It doesn't help that the first three songs that we got (Baby, Handmade Heaven and Superstar) are imho the best this album has to offer, so listening to the rest is even more disappointing.

Eh Marina, Marina. I still love and worship her. And I'll keep listening to this and bopping to the basic hooks. I do love Enjoy Your Life despite the basicness of it. Glad that some people dig this one and maybe she'll get new fans. Hope that her next album is a bit better though.

So far, my scores for each of her albums:
                      The Family Jewels 10/10
                      Electra Heart 7/10
                      Froot 8/10
                      Love + Fear 6/10 (likely to change more as time passes)
                      Last edited by Carbon; Wed May 1st, 2019, 11:33.
                      last.fm

Comment

• I feel really bad now for genuinely liking this record.

Your comments on LOVE+FEAR are put together very well. I just wonder if I may have a different perspective on it.
                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• There’s not even a simple filler on this, I keep playing it and each time these songs do get better and better. Its so easy to listen while she kept the edgy part in all of them as well.
                          Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

• "Superstar" is a GEM. Such a brilliant song, I can't get enough of it at the moment.

The album has grown on me over the days and I'm really loving it now. It really gives me "Electra Heart" vibes at some points. Even though I love(d) "Baby", it feels out of place on this and they could have skipped it IMO. Her strongest weapon is still her voice that elevates songs so much. So glad to have a full record again after all those years, as I never realized how much I actually missed her.

Comment

• What a beautiful album, great concept and lyrics. Marina's voice is perfect.

Karma sounds like a potential single.

Comment

• https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/marina-...00564BE8205805

If there are any Canadian fans of Marina here, her GA tickets for the Toronto date are going for CAD20 currently.
                                I have received many gifts from God,
                                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                  I feel really bad now for genuinely liking this record.

Your comments on LOVE+FEAR are put together very well. I just wonder if I may have a different perspective on it.
                                  I love it too

Originally posted by oaknuys View Post
                                  There’s not even a simple filler on this, I keep playing it and each time these songs do get better and better. Its so easy to listen while she kept the edgy part in all of them as well.
                                  I wish I could give you reputation on mobile!
                                  2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• I can see the clear difference between the Love & Fear tracks thematically

Even though the Fear tracks often have an element of love about them the underlying theme of Fear is very strong for me and is the self doubting, typical Marina that is present on most of her other albums. Fear of not being loved, fear of failure; her insecurity is heavy in Fear

Love is much more carefree and accepting. I think she really wanted to capture that sense on Love - maybe that’s why it’s airy/breezy/generic!
                                    You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• Originally posted by KokoCollino View Post
                                      I love it too

I wish I could give you reputation on mobile!
                                      Seriously this album clicked with me so instantly, it all filled with delightful stuff and it revolves around the power of music nevertheless it contains absolute gems such To Be Human / Handmade Heaven and Soft to be Strong those three can be easily considered as part of my absolute favs of 2019 oh btw, mixed up the fear and the love part and made my tracklist out of it. To me the mixed up tracklist sounds even better. For eg. Soft to be Strong was placed at the very end of album and i wanted to hear it sooner than the track 16 lol

Comment

• [MENTION=37893]oaknuys[/MENTION]

To Be Human and Handmade Heaven are also easily among my faves of the year so far! Marina did THAT

Comment

• Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
                                          [MENTION=37893]oaknuys[/MENTION]

To Be Human and Handmade Heaven are also easily among my faves of the year so far! Marina did THAT

Glad to hear you are feeling the same regarding these two epic tracks. They are both pure magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by SG1401 View Post
                                            In the YouTube session they did a few days ago they said “End of the Earth” was written for a movie and I so wanna know which one it is, I’m intrigued.
                                            Some Netflix apocalyptic guff, probably!
                                            Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (23rd May 20) - Charli XCX, Foxes, Sol Seppy, Moby, Ellie Goulding, Maya Hawke, Tove Lo, Sparks, Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit, Einstürzende Neubauten, Carly Rae Jepsen, Perfume Genius, The Dears, Sara Evans, Transglobal Underground, The Vapors, Alma, Noah Cyrus, Jess Williamson, Ilse DeLange

Comment

• To be human is by far my favorite from this album

Comment

• Still digging Karma, Superstar, Emotional Machine, Orange Trees and Soft To Be Strong a lot!
                                                YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• I created my own track list now I will try this one out from now on and see if I like it or make adjustments.
                                                  • I pro-actively mixed LOVE + FEAR songs, making it a 15 track album. I actually like the concept of a 15 track album with Baby as the bonus.

• Mixing the songs leaves more options to give the album a flow I like and also portray the roller coaster that life is - and not just having LOVE first and FEAR second. While I do appreciate and respect MARINA's effort of a creative approach with two contrasting sides, I prefer to not categorize the songs.

• I love Baby but Clean Bandit are the main artist, so I think it fits better as the bonus track. Luis Fonsi adds something to the song and it's impressive how the three parties work together, but Luis shouldn't be on the 'regular' album.

• Handmade Heaven is still THAT era and album opener to me.

• I love the transition from Orange Trees to Karma.

• End Of The Earth screams stunning album epilogue to me.

• Baby is the uptempo encore, just like at a concert.
                                                  1. Handmade Heaven
                                                  2. Enjoy Your Life
                                                  3. Orange Trees
                                                  4. Karma
                                                  5. Emotional Machine
                                                  6. You
                                                  7. Life Is Strange
                                                  8. No More Suckers
                                                  9. Believe In Love
                                                  10. Superstar
                                                  11. True
                                                  12. Too Afraid
                                                  13. Soft To Be Strong
                                                  14. To Be Human
                                                  15. End Of The Earth

Bonus:

16. Baby (with Clean Bandit & Luis Fonsi)

Comment

• End of the Earth should have been the last song on the album. It suits better with the « Fear » idea and it sounds so misplaced as the 8th song on the album. Evertytime I listen to it I’m like « Ok the album is finished » and then the next song appears which is odd to me

Comment

Working...
                                                    X