No announcement yet.

Solange - When I Get Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not too impressed with this to be honest. 2 albums in the same manner as A Seat At The Table feels painfully long.

Binz is a particularly nice addition to her back catalogue though.
    YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

I tried listening to this on my way to and from the gym and I didn't get any of it. I will try again over the weekend...maybe I need to be high to appreciate this *shrugs*

Comment

The problem is that it pretty much sounds like ASATT Part 2. For some reason I can’t appreciate it that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose View Post
          The problem is that it pretty much sounds like ASATT Part 2. For some reason I can’t appreciate it that much.
          I appreciate the fact it's a much shorter affair though. ASAAT is a bit long IMHO.
          I have received many gifts from God,
          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

I am not sure yet. I loved A Seat At The Table, but I had trouble getting through this one

Comment

It's redundant. Couldn't get through it. I'll try again later.

Comment

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

This is so overrated. The album sounds like a loooong boring interlude or intro. Whatever you call it.

I'm starting to be annoyed by this "great urban music". It all sounds the same. Gr8 production tho.

I need some excitement and some thrill like I had with Losing You, Don't Touch My Hair and Cranes In The Sky.

Maybe I'll like it with more plays. Hopefully
                  BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                  YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

This is so overrated. The album sounds like a loooong boring interlude or intro. Whatever you call it.

I'm starting to be annoyed by this "great urban music". It all sounds the same. Gr8 production tho.

I need some excitement and some thrill like I had with Losing You, Don't Touch My Hair and Cranes In The Sky.

Maybe I'll like it with more plays. Hopefully
                    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

Almeda is good, the rest of the album don't do anything for me and I follow her since the Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams era :/

Comment

Binz, Dreams and Almeda so good.

Comment

SOUND OF RAIN is the best imo and the one I consider a proper song.

Comment

This album has still R&B at the centre and takes the loose songwriting of A Seat at the Table to the next level, but I don't get comments about this being part two of that album at all.

When I Get Home has a different vibe, it's far more bass driven than A Seat at the Table. There are jazz and psychedelia influences that weren't there on the previous album, while the percussion is far more hip-hop based. I can hear shades of Sade and the last Earl Sweatshirt in this record, though ultimately it sounds completely Solange.

Such an immersive album to get lost in, the soundscape is stunning. I can't wait to listen again and check out the visuals too.
                              late.

Comment

Weird album.

Comment

it's not bad but it's not average but it's not excellent
                                  Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Unbreakable34 View Post
                                    Weird album.
                                    I feel the same and I am usually open to experiments. However, this feels like a painfully long improv session.

Comment

Im surprised with the reception the album is getting here. I honestly think this is better than ASATT

Comment

Played it high and it made more sense.
                                        Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                          Thank you for the advice, will try <3

I quite like it, but I'm sure it's an album that makes more sense once you get used to it. I still haven't.

Comment

Yea this album is not yet a grower
                                            Forever Young

Comment

This is perfect whilst getting high on weed.
                                              Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyOfMe View Post
                                                Thank you for the advice, will try <3

I quite like it, but I'm sure it's an album that makes more sense once you get used to it. I still haven't.
                                                Also, watch the film as well. A couple of songs grew on me as well watching it.

I, too (lolz) enjoy ASATT more but I've grown to enjoy this. This is a very experimental non conventional styled album in regards to structure. It's an album that some will like, some will not...and that's ok.

I really love her tone. Just like her sister, it gets better with age. So maybe I'm a little biased because I kinda dig almost anything her voice is on as of late.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                                  I tried that, it worked

Comment

This is a great record for meditation or falling asleep.

Comment

I can see why this album is a mixed bag for some people. It sounds like one long song but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's definitely for someone with an acquired taste. It's definitely a grower tho.
                                                      Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

This feels like ASATT part 2 but more samey and like one overlong song blob

the production sounds great, I just wish this was a bit more varied. I guess it’s an aquired taste
                                                        last.fm

Comment

For now I'm still a little disappointed. Not as instant and more samey than ASATT. I miss a Cranes In The Sky, Mad, Don't You Wait on here. Sales also reflect that it falls a little flat in comparison. Maybe (my) expectations were too high. Will definitely revisit though and I hope it grows on me when I'm in the right mood.
                                                          aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Currently at 90 on Metacritic based on 8 reviews.

Comment

Dis art.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Working...
                                                              X