replied

Leave a comment:

• ThaInfo1
    replied
    FINALLY!!! Can't wait to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    extended director’s cut of the short film, includes alternate version of "Dreams"

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    #46 on Albumism’s 50 Best Albums of 2019 list.

#46 | Solange | When I Get Home
    Columbia

According to Patrick Corcoran: “The album undoubtedly forms an ode to Houston, Texas both musically (in the chopped and screwed sound of “Almeda”) and in artistic and personal inspiration (in the feature of Debbie Allen and Phylicia Rashad on “S McGregor”). But the title of the album also reflects the notion that this iteration of the artist is finding her creative home. Lyrically, meanwhile, it sees her released (for the most part) from the burden of being a spokesperson for black women, instead offering her a chance to be freer, more carefree and more personal.”
    https://www.albumism.com/lists1/best...hen-i-get-home

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    #27 on Billboard's AOTY list.

27. Solange, When I Get Home

While Solange's stellar 2016 release A Seat at the Table was a reaction to the world around her, the Texas-born artist took a more insular approach to her fourth studio album. When I Get Home is a jazz- and hip-hop-infused deep dive into Knowles’ hometown of Houston, with references to its highways, culture and people. The 19-track album, interspersed with poetry and spiritual wisdom, serves as the kind of unconstrained and uncompromising glimpse into black womanhood audiences have come to expect from the younger Knowles sister. -- TAYLOR MIMS
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...of-2019-top-50

Leave a comment:

• DnBLover
    replied
    That performance.... Wow. Astonishing.
    I wanna watch this live.

Is that performance of the year or what?

Now I need to spin this album again

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Binz is #11 on Pitchfork's year end list.

11. Solange: “Binz”

“Binz” is a one-minute-and-51-second playful fragment of music bleeding out of and into the songs before and after it on Solange’s album When I Get Home. Because that album aspires to abstraction through repetitive loops and vocals, when you listen to the tracks sequentially, “Binz” feels like a respite. Its bassline is a lure, the hi-hat a metronome for your sacrum to ride. Multi-part harmonies and singsong back-and-forth between Solange and The-Dream feel like peering into a closed session. “Binz” is a banger, a sunny break from the self-serious mood of When I Get Home. To call it an “interstitial” is to acknowledge its place in how we listen to music in this day and age. False starts while scanning a playlist, tinny snares from passing headphones, auto-play in all of your feeds: In 2019, sound is primarily experienced as fleeting. –Anupa Mistry
    https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...st-songs-2019/

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    #5 on Pitchfork's year end list.

5. Solange: When I Get Home

In Solange’s vision of Houston, the streetlights are hazy, the liquor is dark, and the air is humming with dreams. The singer’s fourth album, When I Get Home, is a collection of reveries on family, history, and blackness—a love letter to her hometown. She finds solace in the frequent repetition of phrases and calls on powerful forebears for guidance, be they Alice Coltrane, Steve Reich, or DJ Screw. With its loose, almost jazz-like form, When I Get Home elevates Solange’s artistry to another plane: The grace and wisdom that flowed through 2016’s A Seat at the Table is chopped and screwed, complicated not just spiritually but musically as well. The album’s more abstracted tendencies also come to the forefront in its surreal visual companion piece, set in various real and imagined locations around the city. But in Solange’s generous hands, heady ideas don’t feel out of reach. We’re all given a place to rest in her Houston of the soul. –Eric Torres
    https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...t-albums-2019/

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied
    Solange and her crew really did that. Such a masterful display of culture. I love how much fun she seems to be having too.

Plus we're getting the directors cut of the visual next week, yeeeee.

Leave a comment:

• Loveguru
    replied
    WOWOOW that was so dope.

The album is stale now but the tour has been stellar

Leave a comment:

• dylonj
    replied
    I really enjoyed that! Vocals were on point! But that backup singer to the left needs to let loose a bit she was a little stiff but that was captivating.

Leave a comment:

• ThaInfo1
    replied
    The art. The slay. I stan.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Loose
    replied
    Acquired taste is an accurate description. I feel like there’s enough instant hit material around that keeps me entertained and doesn’t force me to try a 100 times.

The Sol-Angel era was nice though and even her previous record made me want to take a seat at the table, even if it was just for some moments.

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied
    Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
    Call it high level art if you like, but sonically it was just too samey and repetitive for me to enjoy for longer than a couple of listens.
    The fact that it didn’t get a physical release and that I couldn’t watch the accompanying movie due to it being exclusive to whatever it was (was it Apple?) didn’t help much to sustain my interest either. It kinda came and went. ASATT made a much more lasting impression, and I felt like there were many more details to discover on each subsequent listen.

I’m curious to see what she will cook up next, though. She’s an artist worth paying attention to - unlike many others, including Grammy nominees.
    I can see why people wouldn't like this album, it's definitely an acquired taste. While the whole album is a vibe, I don't find it one-note at all; it's a journey. Then again, I adore liquorice so....

Yeah the film was exclusive to Apple. The extended cut is doing a tour of theatres, art festivals and centres etc until the end of January, so hopefully Solange will put it online once that's run its course.

Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
    Who is her label because they really support her vision
    Solange is still with Columbia.

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
    This is a brilliant album, experimental but not just for the sake of it. A body of WORK.
    this x1000

[MENTION=12901]ThaInfo1[/MENTION] preach it louder for those who can't hear it at the back.

Leave a comment:

• Loose
    replied
    Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
    We all can't have taste.
    As if taste is defined by the grade of boredom you like in so-called ‘experimental’ music.

Nah, sis. Solange doesn’t speak to my clit with dis.

Leave a comment:

• Marchum
    replied
    It took a long time to grow on me but this sure is a masterpiece.

Leave a comment:

• ThaInfo1
    replied
    We all can't have taste.

Leave a comment:

• Loose
    replied
    I hate it. I choose to go clubbing instead of getting home if home sounds this dull

Leave a comment:

• Gravity
    replied
    True (EP) is still one of my favorite albums ever. I didn't care for A Seat At The Table. Great lyrics/messages, bland sonical palette.

This is a brilliant album, experimental but not just for the sake of it. A body of WORK.

Leave a comment:

• ThaInfo1
    replied
    As a whole I enjoyed this more than A Seat a The Table.

I will say ASATT songs themself were more powerful (due to the theme and messages behind them...them being fully structure songs helped too).

I LOVE this album. Never heard anything like it before. I appreciate the experimentalist in her. And let's talk about her tone **heart eyes** It's legit like butter. She may have one upped her sister in that department (ok maybe a tie). I appreciate how she evoke her message through the song's structure rather than just the lyrics. Artistic masterpiece.

I will say the film does help tie things together. I remember she was supposed to release the film (with extra footage) to all platforms in august but Idk what happened. She's good at cancelling things smh.

This will be one of those albums folks will come back to in 5 year and will say it was a much slept on masterpiece. All of those ppl ain't real ones

Leave a comment:

• LittleLinda
    replied
    Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
    This album is a masterpiece, the Grammy's are wrong for shunning it. I guess it's just too abstract and high a level of art for most people to get.
    Call it high level art if you like, but sonically it was just too samey and repetitive for me to enjoy for longer than a couple of listens.
    The fact that it didn’t get a physical release and that I couldn’t watch the accompanying movie due to it being exclusive to whatever it was (was it Apple?) didn’t help much to sustain my interest either. It kinda came and went. ASATT made a much more lasting impression, and I felt like there were many more details to discover on each subsequent listen.

I’m curious to see what she will cook up next, though. She’s an artist worth paying attention to - unlike many others, including Grammy nominees.

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied
    This album is a masterpiece, the Grammy's are wrong for shunning it. I guess it's just too abstract and high a level of art for most people to get.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
    [MENTION=28072]beredy[/MENTION] there's a whole visual album
    See! I like Solange and the album but had no idea there are any videos from the era.

Leave a comment:

• Ska8er
    replied
    Campaign didn't have much to do with it really. The quality is there but the album underperformed and disappeared quite quickly. Its abstract nature didn't help.
    [MENTION=28072]beredy[/MENTION] there's a whole visual album

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    I think that When I Get Home completely flew under the radar. Yes, it got great reviews, but I don't remember seeing it mentioned randomly online, while A Seat at the Table was very prominent throughout the year. ASATT also had a clear lead single with Cranes In the Sky and that video also got some buzz. Is there any actual video for WIGH?

Just compare the threads for the two album here - ASATT got 18 pages, while WIGH 4. I just think there wasn't enough visibility for her throughout the year and no campaign can fix that.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    She still has a lot to learn from Beyoncé. Her team hyped the hell out of this for Grammy consideration (after she won her first Grammy) but it looks like her big mouth and her previous comments on the Grammys cemented her exclusion. I guess we won't see Tina Knowles presenting next year.

Leave a comment:

• Loveguru
    replied
    Who is her label because they really support her vision

Leave a comment:

• ThaInfo1
    replied
    Yasssss give me. This album is art.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    Solange has announced a new director’s cut of When I Get Home, the companion film to her album of the same name, will debut at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, Texas on July 17.

The new version of the film tops out at 41 minutes and will include “new scenes and musical arrangements,” according to a press release. It will screen at museums across the world throughout July and August before closing its run during the Chinati Foundation’s Chinati Weekend in Marfa, Texas in October. The extended cut hits digital stores and streaming services on August 5.
    Source

Leave a comment:

Working...
X