• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy
    God Control
    Extreme Occident
    I Don't Search I Find
    Fas Gastoso

Future and Batuka are honorable mentions. I was pretty lukewarm on both at first, but I love the music for Future (those sun-dappled horns especially) and that beat for Batuka is sick.
    The sands of time fade into dark
    Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
    A message to madness
    Feel music that's realness

Comment

• Finally, I decided to rank the album. I’m not sure I actually agree with it

Killers Who Are Partying
      Batuka
      Dark Ballet
      God Control
      Crazy
      Medellín
      Come Alive
      Soltera
      Bitch I’m Loca
      Extreme Occident
      I Don’t Search I Find
      Crave
      I Rise
      Faz Gostoso
      Looking For Mercy
      Future
      Ciao Bella
      Back That Up To The Beat
      Funana
      Champagne Rose (yes, I tagged it on )

I voted for the top 5 in the thread poll. I still find it odd that some of the pre-release songs were the weakest, but I’m also very glad they let us discover the amazing songs all together.

I am furious only Medellín and Crave are the singles at this point.
      M08T10

Comment

• I would have voted for Soltera too

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
          I would have voted for Soltera too
          I debated putting it in, but I decided against it
          M08T10

Comment

• Voting was so difficult. Three choices were clear, but the rest was hard. I voted for God Control, I don't search I find, Ciao Bella, Extreme Occident and Future.
            I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
              Oh my god I love the three bonus tracks. Just listened to them for the first time and they are all amazing. They are miles better than "Come Alive", "Killers Who Are Partying" and "Bitch I‘m Loca" (even though I like those as well) and they should’ve replaced them.
              Totally agree about the bonus track: they are amazing, Ciao Bella above all !!!

They could very well replace the terrible Future, Crazy and Bit*h I m Loca that I ve erased by now from the album

Comment

• I like every track except Back That Up to the Beat.
                Difficult to choose 5, but I tried:
                Crave
                Crazy
                Batuka
                Faz Gostoso
                Bitch I'm Loca

Comment

• Top 5 right now

1. Crave
                  2. Medellín
                  3. God Control
                  4. Dark Ballet
                  5. I don't search I find

Comment

• Love:

Killers Who Are Partying
                    God Control
                    Crazy
                    Extreme Occident
                    I Don’t Search I Find
                    Crave

Like:

Batuka
                    Dark Ballet
                    Come Alive
                    Bitch I’m Loca
                    Faz Gostoso
                    Looking For Mercy
                    Future

Used to dislike but they grew on me:

Medellín
                    I Rise
                    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• [MENTION=36999]MadonnaIcon[/MENTION] ignoring the poll and voting everything. I had to check who the hell voted for BTUTTB
                      M08T10

Comment

• For a second I also thought about voting for it.
                        I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                          [MENTION=36999]MadonnaIcon[/MENTION] ignoring the poll and voting everything. I had to check who the hell voted for BTUTTB
                          BTUTTB is a very good track
                          Way better than BIL, Faz Gostoso, Crazy and Future combined

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
                            I would have voted for Soltera too
                            Same here.
                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by CandyShop View Post
                              BTUTTB is a very good track
                              Way better than BIL, Faz Gostoso, Crazy and Future combined
                              There’s surely no way BTUTTB is in anyone’s top 5?
                              M08T10

Comment

• The reassessment of Madame X has begun;
                                https://www.sturgisjournal.com/news....D8mskqslaYPc88

The Farr Side: Reassessing Madonna’s album

By David T. Farr

Posted Jul 13, 2019 at 11:00 AM

My first impression of Madonna’s latest album, “Madame X,” was not a good one. Her fans let me know how wrong I was.

I won't apologize for having an opinion, but I can admit when I'm wrong.

My first impression of Madonna's latest album, "Madame X," was not a good one. And her fans let me know how wrong I was in my review of the album in a recent column.

It's cool to get feedback from readers. Most of the time the comments are nice, but once in a while I'll hit on a topic that's explosive. Apparently, Madonna is still very much the talk of the world. I received nearly 400 emails from readers asking me to re-listen to her album and give it a second chance.

The holiday weekend offered me more time to listen to "Madame X" without interruption. I was wrong. Yes, it's different from her previous works, but that's OK. This album takes more than a skim-through to witness its brilliance. That alone makes it worth checking out again.

I will say, though,listening to the actual CD on my home stereo system made all the difference. I've been enjoying her channel on Sirius XM. She's quite candid, in interview, about the new record, too.

I was too quick to call for Madonna to "embrace her age." Even I know better than to say that to a woman who's been calling the shots for 40 years on the music scene. It's Madonna, fool. She can do whatever she wants while all the others take notes. She's a wave-maker, a trend-setter and a ceiling-breaker. And age has nothing to do with that.

"Medellin" was our true real insight into this phase of her life.

It took a while for me to grasp the song, but to hear it loud and uninterrupted, the music is amazing, something I've admired about Madonna songs.

The rest of the album is where it gets interesting, some might say bizarre. I have since changed my tune. "Madame X" is a revolutionary album filled with multiple twists and turns, some easier to navigate than others. The electro-Latin pop sound is infused with politically charged lyrics, bold attributes and some moments of genius.

Once you navigate the album you realize the shiny moments for what they are: great tracks.

I have to give mention to "Crave," her latest single. She plays down her newfound accent on the love song and lets the emotion take over. That same emotion is stretched on "Crazy," a song that gets better the more I listen.

"Come Alive" is, by far, one of the best Madonna songs this century, if not since her "Ray Of Light" album. The lyrics speak to me right now as I'm trying to find myself again. I must have listened to this track 10 times, turning it up louder each time. These lyrics are me ... "Mouth closed, I don't want your opinion, who you talkin' to?/ Stand out, No, I don't wanna blend in, why you want me to?/They say be all I can be and all I want is peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace/See the world, Haven't seen it all, I wanna see it's, see it's, see it's, see it's, see it's dreams...repeat (come alive)."

The chorus and synthesized orchestral composition make it a perfect 10. This is the Madonna I love.

I still stand firm on my dream of what Madonna needs to do next — a "standards" album, her way.

Ok.
                                Its important to notice that the reassessment of madame x has already begun.
                                Great to know
                                Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• Dark Ballet
                                  God Control
                                  Crave
                                  I Rise
                                  Looking For Mercy
                                  It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
                                  But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

• So I voted for :

Dark Ballet
                                    God Control
                                    Killers Who Are Partying
                                    Crazy
                                    Faz Gostoso
                                    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• I didn’t vote.... but these are my fave of the day

Come Alive
                                      Ciao Bella
                                      Looking for Mercy
                                      I don’t Search I Find
                                      Batuka

Comment

• Madame X is on sale on Amazon’s big event. The boxset is now £41, the vinyl is £17 and the cassette and CD (standard) are now both £6.
                                        M08T10

Comment

• Here comes my review for 'Madame X':

Booklet (1/5): Unfortunately, I don't like the cover of the standard edition and would consider it my least favorite one since her 80s releases probably. I could've lived with the cover of the fanbox (the one with her blonde hair in a braid) though. The booklet includes no lyrics (as always ever since 'Music') and the pictures don't really much to me. I've never been a fan of her albums' booklets, but this one is even inferior to her past few albums', so I can only give her 2/10 in that part.

Concept and realisation (1/5): I had high hopes when she initially introduced the concept, hoping that it would end as her portraying some 'Electra Heart'-esque persona. This was not the case. The red thread is the influence by traditional Portuguese and modern Latin music in many of the songs, but I feel like Nelly Furtado's 'Folklore' paid better tribute to that approach back in the day. The album is diverse in terms of length and sound, includes 13 songs. It makes sense that the album starts with 'Medellin', but 'I Rise' is an inappropriate way to close the album - unlike e.g. 'Voices' or 'Easy Ride'. The vocal production on 'Madame X' is messy: Her voice is artificially altered in a few songs and in most of them, it was rather pointless and didn't add anything to the song's overall sound (e.g. 'Crave' or 'Future'). For her standards, she collaborates with other artists a lot on this album, and the only pointless collaboration is 'Future' for me. I like that she sings in Spanish and Portuguese in a few songs . The album is lyrically quite political - probably her most political since 'American Life'. As a whole, 'Madame X' is probably a bit more mature than her past two albums - but not on 'American Life' or 'Ray of Life' level. 5/10

Song by song (3/5):

Medellin: Quite an interesting choice for a lead single. I was never a big fan of it and would consider it my least favorite lead single of hers since the 80s. The verses are a bit too slow, the chorus lacks that 'WOW' sound, Maluma's parts are OK. The song is quite long with almost 5 minutes and it takes 3 minutes to reach its musical peak. I haven't liked the music video much and I feel like the song's execution was a bit poor if they were heading for her personal 'Despacito'. I can still give it a generous 5/10.

Dark Ballet: The first half is very nice - like a hip hop ballad actually. That sound suits her well. Then comes the break and it's very unexpected: An altered voice sings over that ballet sound before she has a speaking part introducing an upcoming 'wind'. The break ends and the song's finalized with a repetition of the last line. Interesting song, but I feel like it would've been executed in a better way - maybe with the chorus being repeated in full for a 3rd time. 6/10

God Control: One of the album's highlights ! It's not up there with some of the gems of the past few albums, but I like that it combines a handful of melodies as part of that disco sound that suits her very well. You don't really notice the length of the song, which is a plus. My highlight within the song is the 'It's a weird kind of energy...' part. 7/10

Future: I really disliked the song after the ESC performance and was deeply disappointed. It is OK, but this type of song wouldn't have made her records during previous eras. The lyrics are a bit cheesy and the collaboration with Quavo was a bit pointless. 4/10

Batuka: The lowlight of the album. I would've preferred the song to be an intro or completely left off from the album since it basically is a long chant with her singing a line that is repeated by a choir - and this goes on for almost 5 minutes. Sorry, but I can only give this one 1/10 - and that one point is due to her not using swear words.

Killers Who Are Partying: The title is very irritating as you may expect an uptempo song. In fact, the song is a ballad and has got nothing to do with partying but with her singing about unifying with minorities. Not sure whether it's fair to consider the islam a discriminated group of people looking at the situation with basic human rights in countries with a mostly muslim population. The song goes on for more than 5 minutes and it takes a while until the song starts picking up drive, but the chorus and the c-part are nice. 6/10

Crave: Her 'accent' sounds a bit irritating on this song, but I like that the song has a calm atmosphere - like a more toned down version of Ellie Goulding's 'Close to Me'. The chorus is nice, Swae Lee couldn't fully convince me and I understand why it was chosen as single No. 2 - I feel like this is for 'Madame X' what 'Ghosttown' was for 'Rebel Heart'. Apart from the fact that 'Ghosttown' was the stronger song. 6.5/10

Crazy: The song is a solid pop song that comes across as a bit lost in the concept of the album, but I don't mind it either ;) . 6/10

Come Alive: I would liken this one to 'MDNA's 'Superstar'. It's a very simple pop song, but I like it actually because it misses out on any unnecessary gimmicks. Well, there is the outro of the chorus, but it fits in the context of the album... 6.5/10

Faz Gostoso: The song with the biggest hit potential. I can easily imagine this one having a music video similar to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' 'Downtown'. Pity though that that song happened to be an almost cover, but she's always had odd cover choices in her discography ('Fever', 'American Life'). It's not amazing, but I like the song due to its catchiness - it invites you to dance. The 3rd verse could've been executed in a better way... 6.5/10 with the potential for a 7/10 ;) .

Bitch I'm Loca: It's the average song you'd expect from a collaboration with Maluma - and the shortest song on the album with less than 3 minutes. Her third song ever to include 'Bitch' in the title and the song doesn't go any deeper than her wanting to have a good time with 'Mr Safe' (Why is Maluma called like that though?). An additional chorus in the end would've been nice. A bit better than 'Medellin' but nothing really remarkable. 5.5/10

I Don't Search I Find: The 2nd highlight on the album. Madonna really shines here... The song has a strong message and it's incredibly catchy - again Madonna in disco mode circa early 90s. I would liken the sound to Mad House's version of 'Holiday'. Even her vocal alternation makes sense here... Finally enough love! 7/10

I Rise: An average pop song with motivational lyrics. Initially, the chorus didn't do much to me, but I think I grew up to it. It's a pity that the best part only comes during the last 30 or so seconds. That should've been the direction of the song... The song doesn't really work as an album closer as it makes you feel like something's yet to come... 5.5/10

Summary: The last two albums were disappointing on one hand ('MDNA') and quite surprising in a positive way on the other hand ('Rebel Heart'), so I was very curious about 'Madame X'. I can see that she had a vision for the album, probably the most since 'Confessions' back in the day, but the execution didn't live up to that. It's her first album without at least one 8/10 song since 'Like a Prayer' and there are too many average songs on it, as well as 'Batuka', which shouldn't have happened. As a fan, it of course belongs in my collection, but I fear that it wasn't worth the 18.99€ I paid for it. All in all, just a 4.5/10 for 'Madame X'.
                                          Last edited by theMathematician; Tue July 16th, 2019, 20:05.
                                          When the bones are good, the rest don't matter
                                          Yeah, the paint could peel, the glass could shatter
                                          (Maren Morris)

Comment

• Who is she?

Comment

• BATUKA video drops on Friday.
                                              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• That's one video i'm not excited about
                                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                                                  BATUKA video drops on Friday.
                                                  Ugh

Comment

• My Top 5 are:

1) Killers Who Are Partying
                                                    2) Extreme Occident
                                                    3) Faz Gostoso
                                                    4) Dark Ballet
                                                    5) Batuka

Comment

• Dark Ballet
                                                      God Control
                                                      Extreme Occident
                                                      Faz Gostoso
                                                      Ciao Bella

Comment

• [MENTION=65457]theMathematician[/MENTION] I think you missed your review on Looking For Mercy?
                                                        UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                                                          BATUKA video drops on Friday.
                                                          Interesting, it''s the track which had all the potential to be amazing imo. but the execution of her vocals etc. kinda ruins it for me. I am curious to see what a visual has to offer and if it can change my mind overall

Comment

• so now there's no hope for I Don't Search release, what a loss
                                                            KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
                                                              so now there's no hope for I Don't Search release, what a loss
                                                              In fairness she’s only had 2 singles from this album, despite all the videos.
                                                              M08T10

Comment

Working...
                                                              X