Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madonna - Madame X

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by madfan13 View Post
    I don’t believe sending a song to radio is the marker of an official single, that’s absurd. Many promo singles are sent to radio (“Masterpiece” says hello). Now, if you need M to type the word “single” on another Instagram post to confirm it as a single, well, that’s super silly. “I rise” has received more promo and a better treatment than “Crave” already. The strategy changes for every song being released and I don’t mind that. In the end, they probably realise sending the song to radio may be a waste of time as it won’t get much airplay, who knows?
    So basically your criteria for what a single is... your own perception or just being somehow separately released (remixes, video, etc.)? I guess we had so many singles this era then. Well done M!
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

    Comment


    • Anyone who doesn't think I Rise is an official single is crazy tbh... Medellin clearly the lead too...I think the issue is they tried with a few songs but never really fully committed...

      Comment


      • "MedellŪn" and "Crave" are the only singles. PERIODT!

        "Batuka", "God Control" and "Dark Ballet" even had videos, something "I Rise" doesnít have. Does that mean that they are singles?
        Britney Spears ē Janet Jackson ē Christina Aguilera ē Michael Jackson ē Selena Gomez ē Hilary Duff ē Taylor Swift ē Justin Timberlake

        Comment


        • Hey, this discussion in itself proves that no one truly knows which songs were the actual “singles”. You know what? I think M and Interscope had a far more open minded approach to selling the album than most people on here do. Did it produce the results they were expecting? Probably not, but it was an interesting and exciting approach. To the last comment, YES, “I rise” did have a video, but Madonna decided to release it with/through Time Magazine (obviously because they co-funded/produced it).

          “I rise” had a video, remixes, actively promoted by her (even with a performance!) and a vinyl release. So it hasn’t been sent to radio, oh well. This whole era has been targeted at her hardcore fans mainly anyway. They tried to reach out to the GP with “Medellin” and maybe even “Crave” and it didn’t work. So why bother again?
          ďA sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.Ē - Bette Davis

          Comment


          • I Rise was a promo single, so were the other songs released prior to album release. Medellin and Crave are the official singles released from this album. I Rise was serviced to clubs and dance radio, that doesn't mean it was an official single.
            Cha Cha Instructor

            Comment


            • There are no "official" singles in 2019 when physical singles market hardly exists.
              The fact that "I Rise" will have a physical release means it's a single by definition.

              Comment


              • OK, I didnít want to cause any trouble. I remember that Medellin and Crave were labelled by Mís team as MXís lead singles (worldwide except the US the former, in the US the latter), and I was wondering if I Rise could be considered something more than a promo.
                The fact it has a video, remixes, a ltd 7íí edition as a part of the MX boxset and a future, proper (although limited) vinyl edition should have been enough for it to be considered a single, a few years ago...
                "Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by madfan13 View Post
                  Hey, this discussion in itself proves that no one truly knows which songs were the actual “singles”. You know what? I think M and Interscope had a far more open minded approach to selling the album than most people on here do. Did it produce the results they were expecting? Probably not, but it was an interesting and exciting approach. To the last comment, YES, “I rise” did have a video, but Madonna decided to release it with/through Time Magazine (obviously because they co-funded/produced it).

                  “I rise” had a video, remixes, actively promoted by her (even with a performance!) and a vinyl release. So it hasn’t been sent to radio, oh well. This whole era has been targeted at her hardcore fans mainly anyway. They tried to reach out to the GP with “Medellin” and maybe even “Crave” and it didn’t work. So why bother again?
                  This... I Rise literally has had everything a single would have apart from maybe a cassette and CD format release? But then again why does it even matter, when I get the 12" single I shall be putting it with my other 12" singles and treating it like a 12" single even if some people don't think it is....

                  Comment


                  • In this streaming age, if you don't service a song to any radio format, it's not an official single. Both Medellin and Crave were serviced to Pop and AC/HAC radios, therefore they are official singles.
                    Cha Cha Instructor

                    Comment


                    • I'm still mad she hasn't released 'Faz Gostoso' as a single.
                      Big.Big.Booty.

                      Comment


                      • Song of the day

                        Crave

                        Comment


                        • WHY MADONNA'S 'MADAME X' DESERVES TO RANK AMONG HER GREAT RECORDS'

                          https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/w...recor

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                            I'm still mad she hasn't released 'Faz Gostoso' as a single.
                            Didn't she film a video in Brazil? Or did I dream that?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                              In this streaming age, if you don't service a song to any radio format, it's not an official single. Both Medellin and Crave were serviced to Pop and AC/HAC radios, therefore they are official singles.
                              In the streaming age radio is pretty irrelevant. Playlists decide on what become a hit, singles are a thing from the past but if they're physically released, how can they not be singles?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CandyShop View Post
                                WHY MADONNA'S 'MADAME X' DESERVES TO RANK AMONG HER GREAT RECORDS'

                                https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/w...recor
                                This link works:
                                https://attitude.co.uk/article/why-m...records/21855/

                                Regarding the article, itís nice. I donít wholly agree with it. Itís a good record but not among my favorites. I like it but I donít absolutely love it. But that changes. My music tastes have evolved but there are tons of records Iím actually enjoying and streaming from Marina, Dido, Lana Del Rey, Katy Perry, Lizzo and even Taylorís new one. So I know that Iím still craving music. But I digress...

                                The album is avant-garde; it is experimental and will be looked back upon fondly. Just like Erotica to a degree. Itís just as a fan my musical inclinations have evolved too and if it wasnít for it being a Madonna album, Iím not sure Iíd be a big of a fan of it.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Zeph View Post

                                  The album is avant-garde; it is experimental and will be looked back upon fondly. Just like Erotica to a degree. It’s just as a fan my musical inclinations have evolved too and if it wasn’t for it being a Madonna album, I’m not sure I’d be a big of a fan of it.
                                  Erotica and Madame X are very different, just saying. I wouldn't make that comparison at all. I don't mean to disrespect Madame X, she's a nice lady and she's had a fantastic huge career. She's the biggest pop star of all time. But Erotica plays a lot of instruments, Erotica wrote all its own music. Erotica spent hours and hours a day in the studio. Erotica's a producer, Erotica's a writer. What Erotica does is different. Erotica is not just rehearsing over and over again to put on a show. There's a spontaneity in Erotica's work. Erotica allows itself to fail, Erotica allows itself to break. Erotica's not afraid of its flaws. There are major differences between Erotica and Madame X.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                    Erotica and Madame X are very different, just saying. I wouldn't make that comparison at all. I don't mean to disrespect Madame X, she's a nice lady and she's had a fantastic huge career. She's the biggest pop star of all time. But Erotica plays a lot of instruments, Erotica wrote all its own music. Erotica spent hours and hours a day in the studio. Erotica's a producer, Erotica's a writer. What Erotica does is different. Erotica is not just rehearsing over and over again to put on a show. There's a spontaneity in Erotica's work. Erotica allows itself to fail, Erotica allows itself to break. Erotica's not afraid of its flaws. There are major differences between Erotica and Madame X.
                                    I will give you that and your points are all fair and valid. My comparison or rather mention of Erotica was more so to how it was acknowledged years later as some monumental piece of work. I believe the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame also praised and inducted it into its HOF for being such a significant and historic opus especially at a time where sexuality was spoken of. So yeah, I wouldnít compare MX to Erotica musically. Well you are right, itís hard to compare it with regards to substance especially with the points you raised.

                                    MX is an album by an artist who Iíve followed and practically stanned for years... sheís just changed I guess. I wish I wouldíve enjoyed the album more. I mean itís not like I stream it or say, omg I have to go hear Medellin or Killers right now. Unfortunately I donít.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Zeph View Post
                                      I will give you that and your points are all fair and valid. My comparison or rather mention of Erotica was more so to how it was acknowledged years later as some monumental piece of work. I believe the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame also praised and inducted it into its HOF for being such a significant and historic opus especially at a time where sexuality was spoken of. So yeah, I wouldn’t compare MX to Erotica musically. Well you are right, it’s hard to compare it with regards to substance especially with the points you raised.
                                      You kinda missed my reference

                                      Originally posted by Zeph View Post
                                      MX is an album by an artist who I’ve followed and practically stanned for years... she’s just changed I guess. I wish I would’ve enjoyed the album more. I mean it’s not like I stream it or say, omg I have to go hear Medellin or Killers right now. Unfortunately I don’t.
                                      Believe it or not, I still force myself to listen to this album once a week because who knows when we will get next one and I am forcing myself to enjoy it, and with each listen it actually gets worse, like I said, it's so exhausting to listen to it it makes me tired, her voice is unpleasant, lyrics are too repetitive. But I have to say again, I do enjoy Crave more and more every time I hear it. But like you said I don't feel any need to listen to any tracks (not even those 2 bops FG and BIM), I have no desire to do that on its own. And once I stop listening albums weekly, I probably won't ever return to any of the songs (same with MDNA), maybe only Crave.

                                      There's just something unlikable about this album and I can't explain it.

                                      Comment


                                      • ^^ @Westen nope I got what you said about Erotica vs MX musically and what not.

                                        I would be lying if I said I listen to the album weekly. I don’t.

                                        The last time I found myself zoning out and listening to it, I did enjoy Looking For Mercy, Funana and Back That Up. I stopped playing FG in the summer. It’s just the album is something else. It doesn’t mesh with me and I’m not sure as others have. Oh well, it’s a great thing we all got opinions and different tastes. It’s great that it’s did so well.

                                        Last sentence included a hint of sarcasm...we all know it’s a streaming era and most artists of a certain age are forced to face ageism. *But even still...

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Zeph View Post
                                          ^^ @Westen nope I got what you said about Erotica vs MX musically and what not.
                                          My post was actually Lady Gaga's comment on her comparisons to Madonna

                                          Originally posted by Zeph View Post
                                          I would be lying if I said I listen to the album weekly. I don’t.

                                          The last time I found myself zoning out and listening to it, I did enjoy Looking For Mercy, Funana and Back That Up. I stopped playing FG in the summer. It’s just the album is something else. It doesn’t mesh with me and I’m not sure as others have. Oh well, it’s a great thing we all got opinions and different tastes. It’s great that it’s did so well.

                                          Last sentence included a hint of sarcasm...we all know it’s a streaming era and most artists of a certain age are forced to face ageism. *But even still...
                                          Looking for Mercy is one of those exhausting songs to listen too, repetitive, dumb lyrics, dead thin vocals, once again stupid LAP reference that she is overusing, Funana is like among her worst songs ever (so are Come Alive, Crazy, Future, Dark Ballet the list goes on)

                                          She re-imagined BTU well, but it doesn't fit the album at all.

                                          Oh yeah I forgot, I do enjoy I Rise from time to time, even tho it's perfect example of generic and basic song, I enjoy vocoder in it.

                                          I don't think her age has anything to do with us not enjoying this album. I regret wishing for Mirwais to come back, even he failed.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                            My post was actually Lady Gaga's comment on her comparisons to Madonna



                                            Looking for Mercy is one of those exhausting songs to listen too, repetitive, dumb lyrics, dead thin vocals, once again stupid LAP reference that she is overusing, Funana is like among her worst songs ever (so are Come Alive, Crazy, Future, Dark Ballet the list goes on)

                                            She re-imagined BTU well, but it doesn't fit the album at all.

                                            Oh yeah I forgot, I do enjoy I Rise from time to time, even tho it's perfect example of generic and basic song, I enjoy vocoder in it.

                                            I don't think her age has anything to do with us not enjoying this album. I regret wishing for Mirwais to come back, even he failed.
                                            Ha ha ha ... looking for mercy has/had depth. The reference wasn’t as noticeable as Don’t Tell Me in Future. Funana is good and so is Back That Up although I enjoyed Pharrell’s production better. I liked Come Alive when I first heard it but now its a chore but not as much as the whole album. I’m a song and lyric person. I’m surprised I didn’t like I Rise as much. I guess because I know she could do better.

                                            That really sums it up.

                                            MX could’ve been better because she can do better. The lyrics were weak!

                                            Her age has nothing to do with this album’s caliber (you misunderstood me).

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Zeph View Post
                                              Ha ha ha ... looking for mercy has/had depth. The reference wasn’t as noticeable as Don’t Tell Me in Future. Funana is good and so is Back That Up although I enjoyed Pharrell’s production better. I liked Come Alive when I first heard it but now its a chore but not as much as the whole album. I’m a song and lyric person. I’m surprised I didn’t like I Rise as much. I guess because I know she could do better.

                                              That really sums it up.

                                              MX could’ve been better because she can do better. The lyrics were weak!

                                              Her age has nothing to do with this album’s caliber (you misunderstood me).
                                              Oh god I forgot about that dumb reference in Future, it feels so forced, just like LAP reference in two songs on the album! Come Alive joined Body Shop as one of her worst songs of all time, after just first listen.

                                              I can't stand Pharrell's production outside of HC so thank god she didn't keep it for MX tbh

                                              I love production in Killers, and I love chorus, but just like with the rest of the album, no need to play it on its own.

                                              Oh god, I remember bopping so hard to almost every RH song back in the day for 2 years at least... I miss those days, I really can't find one positive thing about this era and I can't wait for tour to be over so MX can rest in piss.

                                              She overcooked this album, I bet it would've been better if she did it like most her albums in very short time without looking back, but she dragged this on forever and for nothing... It feels forced, like 'I have to be political because it's cool at the moment. I have to make album inspired by this and that because I lived in Portugal and it's good narrative for interviews'.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                                Oh god I forgot about that dumb reference in Future, it feels so forced, just like LAP reference in two songs on the album! Come Alive joined Body Shop as one of her worst songs of all time, after just first listen.

                                                I can't stand Pharrell's production outside of HC so thank god she didn't keep it for MX tbh

                                                I love production in Killers, and I love chorus, but just like with the rest of the album, no need to play it on its own.

                                                Oh god, I remember bopping so hard to almost every RH song back in the day for 2 years at least... I miss those days, I really can't find one positive thing about this era and I can't wait for tour to be over so MX can rest in piss.

                                                She overcooked this album, I bet it would've been better if she did it like most her albums in very short time without looking back, but she dragged this on forever and for nothing... It feels forced, like 'I have to be political because it's cool at the moment. I have to make album inspired by this and that because I lived in Portugal and it's good narrative for interviews'.
                                                I totally enjoyed RH > MX big time. It’s weird how you said ‘back in the day’ and it just dawned on me that it was around this time in 2014 that RH leaked. Five years ago. FIVE

                                                Although I enjoyed the Avicii tracks by far (and I didn’t care for LFL at all at the time). Other tracks like Borrowed Time, Graffiti Heart, Beautiful Scars, WAOM, and title tracks were amazing. Body Shop wasn’t as horrible as you make it out to be. Sex was horrible among other tracks that made the proper album. I remember at the time we had to buy from iTunes. I played the extra album more than the standard one.

                                                Come Alive isn’t one of her worst songs and I thoroughly enjoyed it at first listen. It was meant to be anthem, an inspirational song. It still is when you think it’s a break from slavery for the Batukas but us mortals could’ve enjoyed a little more lyrical discovery.

                                                Comment


                                                • I totally disagree with all of the above.
                                                  This album is not one to just go back and causally listen to. It is one to continuously unwrap and devour. It is romantic, political, artistic, deep, incredibly experimental and an album like no other. Only Madonna can put out a record like this. I don't feel this is forced in any capacity. Gosh if you think this is then may I remind you of American Life. A beautiful album but at the time was as jarring as nails on a chalk board.

                                                  Come Alive and Body Shop are two of my favourite Madonna songs this last decade. Amazing, but I guess that goes to show our taste is very different.

                                                  I enjoy RH a lot but it artistically has nothing on MX. Each to their own however.

                                                  Sticky and sweet my sugar is lol. RAW. Classic
                                                  Last edited by Mpol; Fri September 20th, 2019, 00:15.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • For me "Madame X" is better than "Rebel Heart", much more original and world music inspired, what I always wanted Madonna to do. It's also way better than "Erotica" that I've actually never really liked. If we cut "Medellin", "Crave", "Come Alive" and "Future" off, MX is actually a good album. Of course I'm not counting these 3 bonus tracks from the deluxe edition as they're rather vile.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • ^^ [MENTION=4967]Mpol[/MENTION] [MENTION=3221]maroon[/MENTION]

                                                      disagree with the above two posts but that is what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks.

                                                      I wish MX was an album we, let alone, I craved to devour as it grew rather stale rather quick. It became a left over that was all but discarded in my library. But enough with the analogies, the album portends to be worldly and it is. It just lacks something.

                                                      I enjoyed RH far more. Give me Avicii’s demos over MX anytime.

                                                      American Life IMO was never forced. It ranks as my favorite album. The tracks there are all superior to anything on MX: Nothing Fails, X Static Process, Love Profusion, title track, Easy Ride the list goes on and on ...

                                                      I guess I wasn’t old enough to appreciate Erotica when it came out. It meant a lot more to those at the time if that makes sense.

                                                      AL, Confessions, Music, HC and RH rank in my top 5. MX is my least liked album of all her albums along with possibly, well it’s not up there.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Song of the day

                                                        I Donít Search I Find

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by maroon View Post
                                                          In the streaming age radio is pretty irrelevant. Playlists decide on what become a hit, singles are a thing from the past but if they're physically released, how can they not be singles?
                                                          What? Radio still determines hit singles, at least in US. There are many songs who are radio driven hits despite not doing very well on streaming. If you service a single to any radio format, it is a single.
                                                          Cha Cha Instructor

                                                          Comment


                                                          • I still love and listen to Madame X and think Madonna did a great job. Maybe as an artist, Madonna isn't for some of you guys anymore. It's okay to admit it and move on. After 3 consecutive bad albums (despite MDNA being my fave), MX made me excited for a Madonna era again. I'm sure i'll love the album more once i'll attend the show and see live interpretations of the songs.
                                                            Cha Cha Instructor

                                                            Comment


                                                            • After all these months of threatening to sell the ticket... And I oop-
                                                              I have received many gifts from God,
                                                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                                              .

                                                              Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                                              Comment

                                                              Working...
                                                              X