Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GetBack
    replied
    It's a great album. If she only had some personality to go with it, she's just too boring.

Leave a comment:

• LotsOfLove
    replied
    Y’all should participate

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied
    Originally posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
    Who has seen the tour yet?
    I went to the Glasgow show a few weeks back, it was incredible. Charli has so much charisma, and really sells the songs (plus she actually gives us vocals during the ballads).

I was a sweaty mess by the end from jumping too much, was definitely thankful for the ballad section in the middle. Also her stans are such trolls; as soon as I entered the bar there were a guy and a girl dressed as taxis and people were shouting for the song during a quiet moment between tracks (Charli told them to f**k off )

She did the whole album + a few hit singles & Pop 2 faves. The light show was incredible too, though we didn't get confetti cannons and only one cube due to it being a smaller venue. Such a good night (not just because I got asked for ID when buying beer and tequila dddd, the show was amazing [and the drink prices were cheap for a concert venue]), would definitely recommend it.

I forgot that Rina Sawayama was an amazing UK opener; so much talent, the crowd loved her.

Originally posted by Hugo View Post
    This album is ******* awesome. No one can do it like Charli.
    No lies. I knew we'd get bangers, but I didn't expect to get so many futuristic ballads on this album. Charli really laid her soul out on the table.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    This album is ******* awesome. No one can do it like Charli.

Leave a comment:

• LOVE+FEAR
    replied
    Who has seen the tour yet?

Leave a comment:

• LotsOfLove
    replied
    She's getting her own Netflix Show! How she created Nasty Cherry and how they will become famous.

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondini View Post
    #7 in Australia - her first top ten anywhere!
    I guess Charli doing promo every time she’s in Australia paid off! Glad she managed a top 10 on top of her UK best peak.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    #7 in Australia - her first top ten anywhere!

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    14 UK - beating her previous peak by one place. Deserves some kind of

Leave a comment:

• LotsOfLove
    replied
    I Don’t Wanna Know is sooo good and smooth. Definitely one of the highlights of the album!

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    ^ Have you all stumbled into the wrong thread or is there a forum glitch?

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by GonPop View Post
    Xtina's impact!
    I don't think the screaming was that bad.

Leave a comment:

• croatiaxtina
    replied
    GREAT PERFORMANCE!

Leave a comment:

• GonPop
    replied
    Xtina's impact!

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    So America gives her better treatment with a full uncut performance and an interview advertising the album. If The Graham Norton Show was running she'd have had that here but instead we had to sit through Craig David.

I LOLed myself at the furniture "dancing". "I think i'll just roll on this sofa"

Leave a comment:

• Tansike
    replied
    The album is as good as I expected. It's less interesting musically than her previous releases (Vroom Vroom, Number 1 Angel and Pop 2) but even though they were more interesting, they didn't hit hard for me and I got over them rather quickly. I can see myself enjoying "Charli" longer and this may end up as my favorite release from her.

"1999" is finally growing on me. But the songs we didn't know so far are definitely the standouts for me so far.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
    Technically 'Gone' is both their song, it is tagged with '&' and not with 'featuring', they are both lead artists on it.
    I know. I'm talking about the impression on newcomers, not the technicalities. It's credited like that because Chris did most of the lyrics.

Leave a comment:

• IVyoncé
    replied
    Technically 'Gone' is both their song, it is tagged with '&' and not with 'featuring', they are both lead artists on it.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    ^ Basically, yes though Charli's got her own pouts and moves that are all OK until the "dance-off" - that idea should have been killed on the spot. It doesn't work on the track or the video. It makes it look they just gave up on the song instead of ending strongly with the main chorus and melody.

Album is #10 in mids. She might stay top 12 if lucky - Bat For Lashes managed to only drop a couple of places last week.
    The hard work is after that where she tries to keep it afloat. 2 weeks on the top 100 is the first task.

Leave a comment:

• LotsOfLove
    replied
    I feel awful saying these things. But it basically boils down to a lack of presence. You can be sure that many people that saw the performance on Jonathan Ross came away with the impression that Chris was the star and Charli was the support act - he was really stretching it calling them both "megastars"!.
    I always had the impression that Christine really shined in the Gone video and basically put Charli in the background, even tho it should be the other way around as it's Charli's song and video. But Charli was completely lost in that video while Christine was serving powerful looks and expressions.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    I feel awful saying these things. But it basically boils down to a lack of presence. You can be sure that many people that saw the performance on Jonathan Ross came away with the impression that Chris was the star and Charli was the support act - he was really stretching it calling them both "megastars"!. People have laughed at the video where Charli attempts to dance - this is a huge problem. Despite big airplay the song has done no better than the usual Chris song. It hasn't taken off like Boys or 1999 where Charli's presence was stronger. Sucker failed commercially because people couldn't connect to her as an artist with an identity. The same fate will befall this album. Marina has no hits but gets in the top 5 because she has a strong identity. Even that overrated Martinez creature can get a top ten album.

Yet she co-writes songs and gives them away and gets some of the biggest hits around! She'll end up being the next Cathy Dennis.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
    Charli has spoken extensively about how much she enjoys collaborating, seeing herself as a curator of sorts. Why wouldn't she do what she loves most on her album?

2099 is getting a video to promote the album, but it isn't a radio single. White Mercedes will most likely be the next radio single, Charli's already shot a music video for it in Kiev.
    It just contradicts itself by being her most personal album lyrically but sounding like her least personal sonically. Collaboration for the mixtapes is fine but she's never going to succeed as a solo artist if she doesn't act like a solo artist. She's not like Bjork where she has a fluid but recognisable sound and her collaboraters enhance her own artistry.

I didn't see any White Mercedes promo info. EDIT: i did, i just didn't connect the dots! If a video gets made it gives the impression it's a "single". Obviously you can make videos for anything you want - see Marina, Beyonce... but i didn't know otherwise - but that's good to know.

I saw on Instagram she's in talks with Petras and Cash for a Click video and also a Shake It one and an Official one are being mooted.
    Last edited by Blondini; Mon September 16th, 2019, 15:19.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    On first listen, this is my least favorite Charli LP.

Leave a comment:

• urbanmusik
    replied
    TThe only "good" thing about Click is the humungous fart noise at the end. I don't get the logic of calling an album after yourself but smothering yourself in other people's sounds? Shake It is better than Click but may as well be a mixtape track from seven years ago, she has as much presence on it as Malcolm McLaren did back in the eighties. Dare i say it but she should have kept Sophie and had less AG Cook. The Vroom Vroom EP was exceptional. She should have the confidence to release a full solo record, not "me and my mates".
    Charli has spoken extensively about how much she enjoys collaborating, seeing herself as a curator of sorts. Why wouldn't she do what she loves most on her album?

2099 just struck me as a bizarre thing to single out for a video/radio single(?) when you've got Warm and Cross You Out both far far stronger and more radio-friendly. She'll probably completely overlook White Mercedes, too (composed with the same team she did Senorita with). Although i've told her twice she should do a video for it (she asked fans about potential videos the second time!)
    2099 is getting a video to promote the album, but it isn't a radio single. White Mercedes will most likely be the next radio single, Charli's already shot a music video for it in Kiev.

I want more of her sonically - to go with the more open lyrics she's giving us. Gone is basically a Christine song more than a Charli one. It is mostly Chris' lyric and sounds more like a Queens song than a Charli song. Warm sounds like a Haim song minus the guitars. They're great but they don't sound like Charli. They sound like Charli walking into someone else's studio, guesting on someone else's record. Same as Pop 2. February 2017 just stops and literally becomes someone else's song for 30 seconds! She's two steps away from being DJ Khaled.

Cross You Out actually sounds like a track either artist would make - it is the perfect team-up.
    All of these collaborations sound like a progression of the PC music Charli has been working on since Vroom Vroom, and mastered on Pop 2. Charli made demos for all of them before the other artist was involved (though Chris was more involved than most other collaborators and Sky didn't write on Cross You Out).

All of the features bring some of their own sound to the tracks, but I don't see this as as a bad thing since collaboration is something Charli does so well (without losing her own sound imo).

Despite a lot of the things you disliked about the album being things that made me love it, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the LP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X