No announcement yet.

Beyoncé & VA - The Lion King: The Gift / Black Is King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THERE'S A DELUXE EDITION???? No one move!!!
    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• “Black Is King is a visual feast; it provides several slow-panning scenes of stillness where we absorb the striking beauty and duality of bright colours against deep brown tones.https://amp.theguardian.com/film/202...plus-lion-king
      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• ‘Black Is King’ review: Beyoncé’s ‘The Lion King’-inspired visual album is a feast of aesthetic excellence

With fantastic, underrated artists from the African diaspora, from Wizkid to Tierra Whack, this sumptuous display continues Queen Bey's reign

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme...-2719195%3famp
        Last edited by Hugo; Fri July 31st, 2020, 13:45.
        "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post

I get what you mean... but I can't fault her for that, because I absolutely love the "live stills" style you speak of. I do agree though that this project in particular could have had more of an actual (as in: acted out) narrative. I can already see many casual viewers scratching their head as to what this has to do with The Lion King, because there is no "obvious" storyline.
          When we got the scene of the guy with the tiger python in the trailer, I thought there might be actual dialogue in this in between songs. But the storyline remained abstract and metaphorical.

Anyway, loved it. And at this point I can't even imagine her ever putting an album out with just 3-4 music videos... that would be a disappointment.
          I'll be honest, I half expected the movie dialogue interludes to feature and for Beyonce to mime along to Simba, and I thought there might have been a storyline of sorts that saw some sort of re-birth and celebration of being a King etc.

But I love how much this is a celebration of Africa and it's culture, but after only seeing it once, it feels a little light - they focused on the imagery of it perhaps more than the culture. That ties into the whole 'live stills' aspect I suppose, but if the fashion was removed, I'm not sure what the piece then becomes.

There's a lot here I want to revisit but I think upon reflection my favourite part was Otherside - the whole Moses basket thing was heart breaking and presumably about her miscarriage again... or yet another one?
          Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Beyoncé: Black Is King — powerful and instructive

The artist’s new video album, released today, celebrates African culture, costume, custom and skin

https://www.ft.com/content/909a1ca9-...0-442b1af16502

Comment

• I guess it's time to re-visit this too.

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• I love how Blue was featured true so many videos having the time of her life

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I'll be honest, I half expected the movie dialogue interludes to feature
                  They did, though? Or do you mean you expected the only movie dialogue to be those scenes, mimed by Beyoncé?

I have already watched it twice now and I'm still annoyed about "Scar", it just feels out of place to me so early on in the movie. The whole "fallen villain" theme of the song makes no sense at that moment (which is probably why the lyrics were reduced to the first verse...?). If I didn't know the songs already in their original order, I would be left wondering what that part is supposed to tell me. I'd really love to ask her why she moved it.
                  It's not the only song that was shifted to a different spot, but the only one where it makes no sense to me.

Anyway, there are so many beautiful moments in this that I could spend hours making screenshot after screenshot. She really has a good eye for imagery. The only thing I will never quite understand (and am hella tired of) is her obsession with inserting grainy 4:3 shots... not needed, but ever since the I Am World Tour, she keeps doing that over and over again.
                  Oh well... many directors have a signature habit, I guess that one is hers...

Comment

• Yeah the placement of Scar suprised me

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I'll be honest, I half expected the movie dialogue interludes to feature and for Beyonce to mime along to Simba, and I thought there might have been a storyline of sorts that saw some sort of re-birth and celebration of being a King etc.

But I love how much this is a celebration of Africa and it's culture, but after only seeing it once, it feels a little light - they focused on the imagery of it perhaps more than the culture. That ties into the whole 'live stills' aspect I suppose, but if the fashion was removed, I'm not sure what the piece then becomes.

There's a lot here I want to revisit but I think upon reflection my favourite part was Otherside - the whole Moses basket thing was heart breaking and presumably about her miscarriage again... or yet another one?
                      Didn't she say in the movie that it was not about Africa but the world/term black
                      Forever Young

Comment

• Originally posted by Loveguru View Post

Didn't she say in the movie that it was not about Africa but the world/term black
                        No idea. She said a lot of things. If you take away the fashion, I’m not sure it does that either though? The clothing is very centric to the entire piece and whilst it adds an identity to the work, it’s all images based and lacks narrative drive. The entire thing really is just one long photo shoot.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• 5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• I loved it. It's true it lacked a dialogue story line but it's still a visual album after all. I loved the way narration and poetry were used here and there but the main story was told through the visuals. It didn't need a lot of words to portrait the celebration of black excellence and African ancestry. Some of the scenes are definitely open for interpretation too.
                            Cinematography, fashion, art and music are the center piece here all focusing on cultural artefacts. The narration always evolves around black excellence imo with all forms, skin tones and roots.
                            My favorite visuals were probably Mood 4 Eva, Brown Skin Girl, Find Your Way Back and My Power.
                            Spirit was mostly recycled but the church choir was a stunning addition.

EDIT: Water needs to be mentioned too, wow

Last edited by BeeBoy; Fri July 31st, 2020, 16:04.
                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• I think she wanted to tell the story with poems, snippets of the interludes, scenery and let the lyrics do the real work and it works perfectly imo, more dialogues and/or acting would have been distracting, I watched it 3 times now and I see different things. Even just small details in clothes/costumes etc.

Comment

• The Deluxe flows so much better without the movie interludes.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• My god!!!!!

Comment

• 5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• This has to be the best thing she has ever done. I can't imagine the hours of work. Thank god for her dedication, this was an experience.

Comment

• Rewatching

Comment

• Just listened to the deluxe. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the tracklist. Anyway the album is much better without all the dialogues and "BLACK PARADE" fits perfectly. I also really like the new "FIND YOUR WAY BACK" remix. It might be even better than the original version in my opinion. The album remains a masterpiece and the new artwork is nice too. Can’t wait to watch the visuals tonight.

PS: "MY POWER" is still the best song on the album but I know y’all aren’t ready for that conversation.
                                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• JeremySpears you aint ready for these MY POWER visuals. Believe me.

Comment

• I have just one request.
                                              Book a stadium. Build a stage. Bring back to OTRII band. Hire dancers. And lake a Black is King concert streaming on Youtube or wherever it fits.

Comment

• How tf did she dance like that? My mouth was open the whole time...

Comment

• SPOILER

Comment

• I need a physical copy of this CD+Movie, idc if it is just an overpriced gold boxset featuring CD, DVD/Blu Ray and Vinyl or just seperate releases. The Gift and Black Is King deserve EVERYTHING

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugo View Post
                                                      SPOILER

to THINK we were about to witness this LIVE. Fudging Covid.

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

to THINK we were about to witness this LIVE. Fudging Covid.
                                                        I think she’ll just tour it next year and do something similar to MCWT - first leg will be BIK and the second B7. Unless she ends up having a lockdown baby.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• To think her next tour will have Eveyrhting Is Love, The Gift, collabs and most likely more to be chosen from, the setlist choices will be hard

Comment

• Here's hoping there's no Jay Z then

Comment

• Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
                                                              To think her next tour will have Eveyrhting Is Love, The Gift, collabs and most likely more to be chosen from, the setlist choices will be hard
                                                              I wouldn't mind her forgetting about her first four albums then.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X