Beyoncé & VA - The Lion King: The Gift / Black Is King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

I wouldn't mind her forgetting about her first four albums then.
    I actually wouldn't mind that either, her catalogue is so strong

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugo View Post
      Here's hoping there's no Jay Z then
      we better get Blue this time, add Chloe x Halle as support act

Comment

• Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
        I actually wouldn't mind that either, her catalogue is so strong
        I mean, keep Crazy in Love, Halo or Single Ladies, RTW for that mash up with Formation and My Power and let's bring the last 4 years on stage.
        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

I mean, keep Crazy in Love, Halo or Single Ladies, RTW for that mash up with Formation and My Power and let's bring the last 4 years on stage.
          That would be perfect tbh, also the way those era's compliment eachother so well theme wise while also being so completely different, ugh talent

Comment

• BLACK IS KING merch available on her website https://shop.beyonce.com/collections/all
            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• https://shop.beyonce.com/collections...ong-sleeve-tee

if only this was a pullover, I would have bought it without blinking

Comment

• Note that this collection is collaboration with Black designers.

Comment

• I would love to support it, but every design I like is a long sleeve T-shirt, I never wear those

Comment

• 5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Don't forget to vote on IMDB

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt12607910/...tt12607910%2F&
                      "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• The dancer with the really short blonde hair was just spectacular throughout the entire film.

Comment

• So...I just finished watching it and I'm...a bit underwhelmed?

The film was a lot more abstract than I expected it to be, and there was too much stillness like others have mentioned. The way it was promoted I was expecting an actual "film" of sorts following The Lion King storyline, but what we had was a combination of poems/interludes and high fashion?

Considering that the film was financed by Disney and/or Parkwood, I also expected a bigger budget. You can see the disproportion in budget between what was filmed for this film compared to the videos for "Spirit" and "Bigger" released last year. A lot of scenes looked quite cheap and there were a lot of recycled sets. The first third of the film suffered from this a lot, and "Nile" and "Find Your Way Back" felt like they were done on a $5 budget. Moreover, I expected more choreography in some videos. It's an album full of bops, and B spent too much time posing instead.

I'm glad it picked up after that, and was happy that the best songs from the album had great videos. "Mood 4 Eva", "Brown Skin Girl", "My Power", "Water" and "Already" were the clear highlights, with the first three in particular being pieces of art. I freaked out when they played the extended version of M4E, but I wish we had some choreography at that point. All those people by the pool...it could have been epic.

Like LittleLinda mentioned, she really needs to retire those grainy 4:3 shots. I never liked them and they seem to be getting more frequent.

Anyway, it's still a great film and I am forever proud to be a B fan. She has accomplished so much yet still feels underrated. I hope this gets the recognition it deserves.

Now I read something about a deluxe edition? Going to check it out.
                          Last edited by Ska8er; Sat August 1st, 2020, 03:26.
                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• the word film does make us confused as it's usually associated with traditional drama film.
                            maybe she should use different word like visual art or art film or art video.

I knew this was going to be lemonade style film when the PR called this visual album.
                            and visual in trailer as pretty much gave us lemoande style..
                            this is how she likes it and work great from the way she intertwine music, visual, fashion, symbolism and poet.
                            But I do get that it's too left field, less audience friendly for locals and casual audience.
                            it would fun to see If she adopt more traditional film style and make real musical film.
                            Last edited by Shayonce; Sat August 1st, 2020, 03:55.

Comment

Are you always so positive in real life?
                              I swear I never saw you posting one nice thing, ever.
                              LOL please. you can't deny this is laziest deluxe she ever done. zero effort, zero value and zero creativity.
                              especially when deluxe version is huge trend in urban music scene right now.
                              this is simply way below her standard. just cheap tactic to get (lil) sales without effort.

Comment

• Okay so I've just watched the whole thing (don't ask how).

I really enjoyed it! It was visually breathtaking and just gorgeous. I totally was not ready for "Find Your Way Back" and "Mood 4 Eva". Now I kinda regret for pushing "Already" to be released on YouTube when it's easily one of my least favorite segments off the movie. I'm surprised you didn't like the "Find Your Way Back" visuals Ska8er, it's easily one of my faves. I was in AWE watching that portion. "Brown Skin Girl" & "Water" were good as well and I actually really enjoyed "NILE" - mainly because I didn't expect the song to have THAT visual. Also, "My Power" was cute. Love the set and everything!

On the other hand, I'm going to echo what some here have mentioned - I feel like she kinda focused way too much on the aesthetic rather than the storyline itself. I feel like the plot kinda gets lost in the middle because the main character disappears a lot and instead we have those magazine spread shots which are indeed majestic but I feel like she could've done something else with it. I know some of those shots probably have some symbolic meanings behind it but unfortunately not a lot of us know what those meanings are, some narrations or dialogues or acting would've helped. I also wish they would've re-recorded the Lion King dialogues. Also in regards to what Ska8er mentioned regarding the sets looking cheap, I don't personally find it 'cheap cheap' but I guess when you compare it to Kendrick's "All The Stars" video then yes, hers are way less intricate - they still look great though.

Overall, still I'm very satisfied with this. Better than Self-titled? Nah, but I'd definitely say I enjoyed it more than Lemonade - Lem is too 'dark' and muted for me aesthetically while this one is more vibrant, more energy. Weirdly enough, I don't find the cheap Instagram filter shots annoying. Are they necessary? Nope. Was I bothered with them? Again, not really.

Comment

• Also, is it just me or the voice-over is much louder than the actual music itself? No?

Comment

• It’s certainly not cheap, and I’m not sure Disney financed it either - based on comments from Tina about Bey spending her own money, I think it was made first then sold to Disney. The entire thing is basically a behind the scenes video of a Vogue photo shoot or something, but it’s still enjoyable to watch and well made. It’s just a little more art house performance art than a traditional film.
                                    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• "The entire thing is basically a behind the scenes video of a Vogue photo shoot or something"

Comment

• abi "Find Your Way Back" is mostly posing in grainy shots, and it uses the same set as "Bigger" plus the desert which gave it a cheap look for me. The start of "Nile" was bad as well, with her just standing in the middle of nowhere wearing the same white outfit. I did enjoy the second part, but it was too short (where's the extended version at?).

I am glad you saw Mood 4 Eva's potential. Even without choreography, it's by far the best music video and most commercial song on here. It's vibrant, confident, fun, and the Carters shine on it. Better late than never

I don't find it better than Self-titled or Lemonade. Self-titled had breathtaking and career-defining visuals, whilst Lemonade had a very powerful (and easy to follow) storyline.

I'm on my second watch now and I'm appreciating it more. I think it's much more enjoyable going into it when you expect an "art house performance" collage as menime123 correctly described it.

I don't find the deluxe edition disappointing, as it is exactly what we expected. I'm glad she made a version without the interludes to make it more accessible to the GP and deviate from The Lion King, whilst Black Parade fits like a glove as it comes from a very similar sonic landscape. Would have I preferred a new song? Of course. But beggars can't be choosers, and I'm just glad we have another visual album. Also, new songs on a visual album without a music video trigger my OCD. I still want an epic Black Parade music video

The Find Your Way Back remix is a bit throwaway in my opinion. She should have released an Already remix instead as it's the "single" from this project. I was also disappointed to see that she didn't include M4E's extended version. Stupid TIDAL.

I really want a physical release.
                                        Last edited by Ska8er; Sat August 1st, 2020, 09:49.
                                        Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Not bad for BTS footage

Comment

• Also why she hasn't worked with Dave Meyers is still a mystery to me, or has she?

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                                              Also why she hasn't worked with Dave Meyers is still a mystery to me, or has she?
                                              No she hasn't, and I was actually thinking about this the other day.

A Melina video for this would have been great as well.
                                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugo View Post
                                                  "The entire thing is basically a behind the scenes video of a Vogue photo shoot or something"

I’ve already given my full review, read the thread, most people seem to agree that it’s like she swapped a stills camera for a videocam.
                                                  Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• So, which ones of those ungrateful extras during "Brown Skin Girl" who complained they were being underpaid while in fact they got paid 2x as much the regular rate?

Comment

• I don't think they were actually in it?

The film is getting substantial backlash on Twitter for appropriating African culture for capitalistic purposes. Even Noname tried to call her out, and the comments are appaling.

She created an ode to the continent and gave artists from there a chance to shine. Plus she's donated so much already. I don't get what they expect from her.
                                                      Last edited by Ska8er; Sat August 1st, 2020, 14:19.
                                                      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Why would one pay attention to that seriously.
                                                        The praise and pride overtakes the shade and bitterness.

Comment

• Is Noname the new Azealia Banks? I've seen 'calling out' a few acts before (Bey & J.Cole) but I still have no idea who she actually is.

People have this certain hate towards Beyonce because she's apparently a 'capitalist who needs to open her purse more' yet they don't do the same to her other peers. Like I don't get it, why Beyonce specifically? Keep the same energy for the other artists.

Also, what is this pizzagate thing people have been talking about? I thought we left conspiracy theories back in 2009, no?
                                                          Last edited by abi; Sat August 1st, 2020, 13:36.

Comment

• Edit
                                                            Last edited by Hugo; Sat August 1st, 2020, 13:45.

Comment

• Bey always have gotten hate and showing homage to her heritage and roots. First people accused her of bleaching her skin, then she should shut her mouth because is too wealthy to show the struggles of a community, now she can't make a love letter to Africa because yet again she is too wealthy and is an American and you can't represent the 'continent' then appearently. I am glad she just does whatever she wants, because these are the same sad people who also would be mad if she had she stayed quiet and had not done anyting political or had never spoken out on any topic....

Comment

Working...
                                                              X