No announcement yet.

FKA twigs - Magdalene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twigs seems to have a lot of physical formats available for this. I got the blue smoke vinyl from Vinyl Me Please when it was available, it's pretty.

Originally posted by bluecherry View Post
    Seeing this live tonight and I honestly can’t wait to ascend.
    Hope you're enjoying that higher plane of consciousness.
    late.

Comment

• She cancelled her show in Zurich yesterday last minute.

The people were already there and then they just said: Sorry guys, we can’t make it happen tonight.
      DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Comment

• Oh wow I would be furious. Imagine travelling for hours. Tickets in general should be sold with some insurence for travel expenses given how expensive they are anyway and how often artists cancel and reschedule
        MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
          She cancelled her show in Zurich yesterday last minute.

The people were already there and then they just said: Sorry guys, we can’t make it happen tonight.
          Oh lord...

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
            Oh wow I would be furious. Imagine travelling for hours. Tickets in general should be sold with some insurence for travel expenses given how expensive they are anyway and how often artists cancel and reschedule
            I made the bold decision not to buy any further tickets for quite a while as it is the third time a gig got cancelled that I wanted to attend to. Kelis and Banks have both cancelled their gigs here as well.

Comment

• So I was pretty optimistic right up until the end that I will be in Milan tonight despite being so sick for a couple of days and having high temperature. I even went to the store yesterday afternoon and bought stuff for sandwiches and some snacks for the bus ride just to come home and find my bf sleeping with a headache. After a talk we decided to cancel the trip because neither one of us was feeling too well. So unfortunately I'm not watching fka tonight.

Hopefully she adds some more dates somewhere close by because I'd love to see the show and I really wanted to see her live.

I'm spinning the album right now under a blanket and with some hot tea...
              I have received many gifts from God,
              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• #2 on Pitchfork's year end list.

2. FKA twigs: MAGDALENE

FKA twigs’ second album plays like an unsparing breakup manual for a distant species, some glamorous alien race presumably as brilliant at everything as she is: singing, producing, writing, dancing, seducing, exorcising, empathizing. MAGDALENE is an overwhelming collection of intimacies, a generous feat of communication that turns her specific pain (not all of us have to get over a breakup with a celluloid vampire) into communion.

For all the clever syntheses in MAGDALENE’s production—polyphonic vocals wisping over bass shudders; operatic trills distorted into grisly yelps—twigs is desperately clear in her words. Over the alluring trap beat of “holy terrain,” she asks coyly for fidelity, nervous and brave in her open-heartedness. Part the waves of distortion on “home with you,” and she is wailing, gorgeously, at the injustice of emotional abandonment. And on the exquisite centerpiece “cellophane,” she is as exposed, fallen, and overwhelmed as the album’s namesake. But unlike Mary Magdalene, twigs can reclaim her narrative, in this act of graceful assertion that makes the agony of her love heroic. –Stacey Anderson
                https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...t-albums-2019/

Comment

• Deserved!

Comment

• Album of the year, for sure
                    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• sad day is #67 and Cellophane is #1* on Pitchfork's year end song list.

67. FKA twigs: “sad day”

On the slow-burning “sad day,” FKA twigs alternates between a pining falsetto and a clenched, scratchy voice, full of regret. “Would you make a wish of my love?” she asks in the high voice, before dropping down and remembering the pain she caused in the past. The track, a jagged instrumental courtesy of twigs alongside producers Skrillex, Nicolas Jaar, Benny Blanco, and Noah Goldstein, fills in the space between these two modes of address—sweet entreaty, throaty self-recrimination. The refrain samples the British classic “It’s a Fine Day,” made famous in its 1992 rave rendition by Opus III, providing a moment of release from all the romantic tension and misguided hope. –Thea Ballard

1. FKA twigs: “cellophane”

It’s nearly impossible to separate the physicality of FKA twigs’ work from her voice—she moves with the trained precision of an athlete, changes costumes as if she’s shedding skin, and carries herself with the dramatic flair of a Shakespearean thespian. Projecting strength in moments of extreme fragility feels like it’s become part of her routine more recently; a very public breakup with her Hollywood ex was followed by the discovery of a medical condition anchored in her uterus. This year’s MAGDALENE was twigs’ exorcism of those woes—the ones that suddenly appear on your doorstep, the ones brewing internally—with “cellophane” as its final absolution.

Heartbreak is a trial so delicate that the slightest degree of pressure can shift whether it ends in acceptance or despair. On “cellophane,” twigs recognizes that fissure and puts on an acrobatic display of deciding whether she’ll dip a toe into the darkness of its void. It’s a song best listened to alone, where the beauty of its restraint can be made clear. A whisper of a beat propels an inquisition into self-doubt, longing, and regret—her voice aches, soaring with resolve before a gravitational pull brings it back down. A dreamy piano melody serves as a sidekick alongside synths that swell to a climax and then drop out altogether. It masterfully makes the ugly, complicated mess of interrogating lost love feel like an act of pride. Because when you’ve aimed a spotlight at yourself, perhaps all that matters is knowing you’re worthy of its glow. –Puja Patel
                      https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...st-songs-2019/

*AND THAT'S A GODDAMN F*CKING FACT. I'VE SAID THIS SONG IS A MASTERPIECE AND IT IS.

Comment

• It should have been the other way around. cellophane gets tiring so very quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                          It should have been the other way around. cellophane gets tiring so very quickly.
                          Why don't Cellophane do it for you?

Comment

• #19 on Billboard's AOTY list.

19. fka Twigs, Magdalene

FKA Twigs has always dressed emotion in somewhat dangerous apparel, cloaking the raw power of her voice in layers of noise and spiky electronics. With the release of “Cellophane,” the world-rending first single from Magdalene, it was clear something had changed. “Didn’t I do it for you?” she pleads on the track, bereft, tears almost palpable in the gentle quiver of her delivery. The production was rich and confounding as ever, but vulnerability was the operative idiom, for the song and the album it ultimately closed. More incantatory than declarative, tracks like “Daybed,” “Mary Magdalene,” and “Mirrored Heart” expose the flesh beneath the crystal garments of Twigs’ production. Draped in lucid, shimmering sonics, Magdalene lays heartbreak newly bare. -- WILLIAM GOTTSEGEN
                            https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...of-2019-top-50

Comment

• I love this album more and more each listen.

I can't get the chorus of Cellophane out my head. I do wish it wasn't the first song she came out with. I would've went with Sad Day.
                              Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• When is the Sad Day video supposed to drop?

Hope she gets another Grammy nomination next year for this song.

Comment

• When is the Sad Day video supposed to drop?

Hope she gets another Grammy nomination next year for this song.

Comment

• ^its out sis where ya been?

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                      ^its out sis where ya been?
                                      the sad day video?

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                        ^its out sis where ya been?
                                        Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
                                        the sad day video?
                                        sad day video is not out. I don't even know if it has been filmed. Good sis [MENTION=12901]ThaInfo1[/MENTION] is confused.

Comment

• My bad it ain't out yet.

Saw the screenshot from youtube and thought it was the video but it's just the song.
                                          Last edited by ThaInfo1; Wed December 11th, 2019, 21:49.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                            sad day video is not out. I don't even know if it has been filmed. Good sis [MENTION=12901]ThaInfo1[/MENTION] is confused.
                                            The video was shot by Hiro Murai in October. twigs said it was coming soon a week or two ago.

All of this critical acclaim is beyond deserved. twigs delivered such a fully realised body of work with Magdalene.
                                            late.

Comment

• It’s #42 on Slant Magazine’s list of the 100 Best Albums of the 2010‘s:

42. FKA twigs, Magdalene
                                              A distinct feminine energy pulses through FKA twigs’s shimmering sophomore effort, Magdalene. Coming off the back of a major public breakup with actor Robert Pattinson and a period of ill-health which left her creatively and physically depleted, twigs made it her mission—both in the writing of this follow-up to 2014’s LP1 and in the extraordinary wushu and pole training she undertook for her Magdalene tour—to embrace her pain. There’s little sense on Magdalene that twigs believes there’s an ideal way to be; all she can do is learn how to accept her own contradictions as a necessary part of growth. The album is a knotty meditation on the process of separating self-perception from public perception, and of twigs’s reclamation of her body and work as hers and hers alone. Richmond
                                              https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/...the-2010s/amp/
                                              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Brilliant record. Such a shame she didn't receive more Grammy nominations! I finally listened to it two weeks ago and it's already my 4th most played album of 2019.
                                                Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• This is so so good ugh.

Actually, as this album was released in November, it should be eligible for some Grammy nominations for 2021 no?

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
                                                    This is so so good ugh.

Actually, as this album was released in November, it should be eligible for some Grammy nominations for 2021 no?
                                                    Yes. Hopefully it gets at least some Alternative/R&B/Vocal noms. It deserves AOTY, but I don't think it will be able to pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X