Nightwish - HUMAN. :II: NATURE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightwish - HUMAN. :II: NATURE.

It's been a while since "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" came out in early 2015, but the Finnish Symphonic Metal pioneers Nightwish will finally release their long awaited, yet untitled ninth studio album in early 2020. It will be the second album with Floor Jansen as their lead singer and frontwoman.

According to Tuomas Holopainen, one of the founders and the songwriter for their material, the album is likely to have ten or eleven songs and they will use the orchestral instrumentation in a different way than before. They also posted a lovely photo from their recording house on Facebook a while ago (see above) and have confirmed Kai Hahto has the new main drummer, with former drummer Jukka Nevalainen taking care of band-related business behind the scenes now.

In addition to the upcoming new album, Nightwish will also embark a new World Tour in 2020, having already announced four Latin America dates and one European date.

When Finnish sextet Nightwish announce a new studio album people tend to take notice. They know that something special is brewing. Band leader Tuomas Holopainen once said that whenever he creates a new record he has the intention of capturing something rare and unique, a monument and a true album experience. In 2020 he’s certain to achieve his objective once again. Nightwish have completed the recordings for their 9th studio album and are proud to announce the title, artwork and tracklisting.

HUMAN. :II: NATURE. will be released on 10th April 2020. The long-awaited record, following 2015’s critically-acclaimed “Endless Forms Most Beautiful”, will be a double album containing 9 tracks on the main CD and one long track, divided into eight chapters on CD 2.The tracklisting will read as follows:

Disc 1:

Music
    Noise
    Shoemaker
    Harvest
    Pan
    How’s The Heart?
    Procession
    Tribal
    Endlessness
    Disc 2:

All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Vista
    All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - The Blue
    All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - The Green
    All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Moors
    All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Aurorae
    All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Quiet As The Snow
    All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Anthropocene (incl. “Hurrian Hymn To Nikkal”)
    All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Ad Astra
    The album pre-order will start on February 7th.

HUMAN. :II: NATURE. was recorded from August to October 2019 at Röskö campsite, Petrax Studios and Troykington castle, as well as Finnvox Studios, by Tero Kinnunen, Mikko Karmila and Troy Donockley. The mixing was done by Mikko Karmila at Finnvox, with Tuomas Holopainen and Tero Kinnunen. Mastering was done by Mika Jussila at Finnvox.

Comment

Released on my birthday, I am really curious for disc II actually

Comment

I already love it based on cover, title and tracklist alone!

Though the second disc is interesting. It's all ONE track on the second disc divided into eight chapters. I still think "Greatest Show On Earth" was a bit too much and they are slightly exaggerating with these long tunes now.

Oh, and 10th April is less than three months away, so that's kinda soon-ish and we may get a first taste soon

Comment

Wow! That's great news! -I'm glad we can expect a new new NW album that soon! - The cover looks great and I already love the theme of the album. However, I'm afraid that they will stick to their "ethnic pop path" and continue releasing artsy-fartsy lengthy tracks. "Greatest Show On Earth" was already quite tiring. Same applies to "Song Of Myself". Not only cutting off the middle 8 parts is a way to destroy great songs.

Anyway, hopefully, this album's tracks will suit Floor's voice more. "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" is indeed my least favourite NW album.
          Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Originally posted by Mainshow View Post
            However, I'm afraid that they will stick to their "ethnic pop path" and continue releasing artsy-fartsy lengthy tracks. "Greatest Show On Earth" was already quite tiring. Same applies to "Song Of Myself". Not only cutting off the middle 8 parts is a way to destroy great songs.

Anyway, hopefully, this album's tracks will suit Floor's voice more. "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" is indeed my least favourite NW album.
            I guess you mean songs like "Élan" or "My Walden" with 'ethnic pop path', right? I think with song titles and an album title like that, they will definitely continue with that kind of music and considering there are only nine songs on the first disc, they'll most likely end up being lengthy tracks as well

Even though "Greatest Show On Earth" grew on me last year (due to all those reaction videos appearing on YouTube), I never played "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" in full since the beginning of 2016, I only played around four of the songs every now and then ever since which isn't a good thing for a Nightwish album. So my initial love for it also disappeared and it's pretty low in my personal ranking as well.

...with that said, I hope even though "All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World" is seen as one song, they cut the eight chapters in different songs with 5 minutes each instead of just one song with 40 minutes length.

Comment

I like the concept of the 2nd disc, much like Kate Bush's "Aerial" (Sky of Honey).
              I'm interested! Will be the first album I'll listen to by them.
              "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
              https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
              "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                I like the concept of the 2nd disc, much like Kate Bush's "Aerial" (Sky of Honey).
                I'm interested! Will be the first album I'll listen to by them.
                Oh, always excited to hear an opinion of a new Nightwish album by someone who wasn't familiar with them previously! Fingers crossed you will enjoy it!

Comment

The album pre-order will start on February 7th.
                  Somehow I overlooked this part yesterday, so pre-orders are coming out in three weeks. That probably means we will get the first single then as well?

Fingers crossed for another physical release. They are one of the very few bands who always released their singles physically as well and it would be a shame if they'd stop doing that. I know it's not as big as it used to be, but Nightwish can definitely still pull a physical single release off and it still works for the German speaking countries.

Plus, they always entered the singles charts in a few countries with their singles, so it will be interesting to see if the lead single for this will do it again. Would be a rare thing to happen for this genre, fingers crossed it will work!

Comment

Apparentely, "All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World" will be 35 minutes long!

Comment

Fantastic article about "HUMAN. :II: NATURE."

This is going to be one hell of an album. I can't freaking wait!

Also, it's interesting they'll have a similar theme (our slavery to technology, addiction to social media and egotism) just like Within Temptation's "Resist" from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post

Also, it's interesting they'll have a similar theme (our slavery to technology, addiction to social media and egotism) just like Within Temptation's "Resist" from last year.
                        And I also read an article about Delain's new album where a reviewer also said that their album reminded him of Resist

Comment

Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
                          And I also read an article about Delain's new album where a reviewer also said that their album reminded him of Resist
                          Oh wow, looks like Within Temptation set a trend for Metal bands?

Comment

Pre-orders are already out in New Zealand & Australia, so the song lengths are already known:

Disc 1
                            No. Title Length
                            1. "Music" 7:23
                            2. "Noise" 5:40
                            3. "Shoemaker" 5:19
                            4. "Harvest" 5:13
                            5. "Pan" 5:18
                            6. "How's the Heart?" 5:02
                            7. "Procession" 5:31
                            8. "Tribal" 3:56
                            9. "Endlessness" 7:11
                            Total length: 50:33

Disc 2 - “All the Works of Nature Which Adorn the World”
                            No. Title Length
                            1. "Vista" 3:59
                            2. "The Blue" 3:35
                            3. "The Green" 4:42
                            4. "Moors" 4:44
                            5. "Aurorae" 2:07
                            6. "Quiet as the Snow" 4:05
                            7. "Anthropocene (incl. “Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal”)" 3:05
                            8. "Ad Astra" 4:41
                            Total length: 30:58

Looks like Disc 2 isn't just one very long track after all. That's good to know. I also adore most song titles!

Comment

"Noise" is out NOW!

Comment

Official video.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post

That article does indeed sound very promising. Thanks for sharing.

I still really don’t get the album title? I feel like there’s a deeper meaning that has somehow been lost on me? How do you even say it? Is it just called Human Nature? Also, I find the positioning of the full stops so ugly.

I just don’t understand it... their albums usually have awesome titles?

Comment

Originally posted by Airwrecka View Post

That article does indeed sound very promising. Thanks for sharing.

I still really don’t get the album title? I feel like there’s a deeper meaning that has somehow been lost on me? How do you even say it? Is it just called Human Nature? Also, I find the positioning of the full stops so ugly.

I just don’t understand it... their albums usually have awesome titles?
                                    Glad you enjoyed the article!

I'm also not sure about the title. I heard someone saying it's simply called 'Human and Nature' or just 'Human Nature' and maybe the :II: is just Tuomas being too artsy/creative.

With that said, I never got into "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" as album title and it didn't help that its title track is one of my least favorite songs ever by the band.

Comment

OMG, Dan!!!! You are back!

Personally, I think that "Human :II: Nature" means "Human vs. Nature", like to opponents and it would perfectly fit the atmosphere of "Noise" and its music video.

Random thought: ":II:" also reminds me of Atari's Pong
                                      Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Yeah, 'vs.' would make sense as well - actually even more.

btw, I love how they didn't just create an instagram account (finally) but they're also doing a great job there!

Comment

Working...
                                        X