No announcement yet.

Nightwish - HUMAN. :II: NATURE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so I'm a huge Nightwish fan but I'm also a huge charts fan in general - so with the Coronavirus going on, it's already clear that there'll be a drop in physical sales and with Nightwish being a band who mostly benefits from physical sales, I'm kinda worried about that. This could have been their biggest album to date, so we'll see how things will turn out...

Comment

Only four days until this gets released!

After a very strong start with "Noise", I feel like most of the hype is already gone. There's probably another video release on Friday (at least I'm expecting one, but you never know with Nightwish).

Comment

My 3CD Deluxe set arrived in the post today. I'm quite surprised as I was expecting huge delays.

Starting my first listen now!

The earbook is so nice. I will try and take a couple of photos if anyone's interested.

Comment

^ Ah, lucky you! I read about many people saying they already got their copy some days earlier. Glad they're so up-to-date with shipments!

Somehow I never thought about it, but isn't it weird this comes out on Good Friday?

Anyways, I'm so excited to hear this. Definitely gonna stay awake until midnight today, so I can listen to it immediately

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
            ^ Ah, lucky you! I read about many people saying they already got their copy some days earlier. Glad they're so up-to-date with shipments!

Somehow I never thought about it, but isn't it weird this comes out on Good Friday?

Anyways, I'm so excited to hear this. Definitely gonna stay awake until midnight today, so I can listen to it immediately
            Yeah, I suppose Good Friday is a strange date for a new Nightwish album haha.

So after my first full play and then a revisit of a few tracks, I'm feeling quite underwhelmed. I'm happy to spend more time "getting to know" the music because it's a new Nightwish album, but it certainly hasn't grabbed me.

'All the Works of Nature Which Adorn the World' is basically just a classical score, so there's really only 9 Nightwish tracks - 2 of which we already know.

I'll post some more detailed thoughts once everyone has a chance to listen, but the early reviews were certainly spot on. There's some interesting elements (including a heavenly operatic segment on 'Shoemaker'), but the album really lacks some conventional hooks and choruses. I would have loved another 'Alpenglow', 'Ghost River' or 'I Want My Tears Back'.

Comment

^ I‘ve already read/heard many similar reviews, saying they‘re kinda disappointed and it seems to be a weaker album - again!

Still looking forward to this. I mean, new Nightwish after five years, it was about time! Plus I remember a similar situation with WT‘s Hydra, when many fans were disappointed at first, I immediately loved it and nowadays it‘s not seen as their weakest albums by lots of fans anymore.

Four and a half hours to go for me!

Comment

^ I‘ve already read/heard many similar reviews, saying they‘re kinda disappointed and it seems to be a weaker album - again!

Still looking forward to this. I mean, new Nightwish after five years, it was about time! Plus I remember a similar situation with WT‘s Hydra, when many fans were disappointed at first, I immediately loved it and nowadays it‘s not seen as their weakest albums by lots of fans anymore.

Four and a half hours to go for me!
                Oh yes, there were meltdowns when Hydra came out, but I loved it from day one. It's possibly my favourite WT album; or at least joint with The Silent Force.

I actually love Endless Forms So Beautiful and would say it might be my favourite NW album. I'm really into biodiversity and evolution, so it definitely resonated with me. The new one kind of feels like it was meant to be a sequel, but I'm not really feeling the epicness yet.

The first half of Music is too quiet for me. It's practically inaudible and very underwhelming. By the time it really gets going, it's over. I'd say the same about All the Works... too. Ad Astra was the piece that really stood out for me, and by that time the project was closing.

Still, Nightwish are a complex band with a lot of thought behind their compositions, so I expect the whole thing will grow on me with time.

Comment

We just passed midnight here and I‘ve just started listening to it for the first time!

Music is the complete opposite of an opening compared to how they open their albums most of the times (Dark Chest Of Wonders, Shudder Before The Beautiful or TPATP).

Comment

Ok, the main album is over for a few minutes as I'm starting writing this. Honestly, I think this album is a masterpiece. It's epic. They finally mixed up the folk elements from tracks like "I Want My Tears Back" or "My Walden" with their earlier Symphonic Metal style just the right way for me here. Every single song tells a beautiful story and even though there are some not top notch songs like "Harvest", every song has at least one part that seems to be out of this world.

So yeah, I'm completely here for that. There's just one negative thing so far - and unfortunately, that's a big one: It's WAY too short compared to their previous albums! Because even though the score part is lovely and may sound beautiful at some moments, I definitely don't see it as a track for the proper album. So basically 9 songs and 50 minutes.

Comment

Fantastic review and I completely agree with it!

From their massive international fanbase to the flagrant extravagance of their music, everything about NIGHTWISH is righteously, riotously big. Easily one of the biggest metal bands on the planet and clearly riding a wave of creative momentum, they would have surprised everyone a lot more if they had made a new album that wasn't even more artistically aspirational and over-the-top than its predecessors. Frankly, after the widely acclaimed progressive splurge of 2015's "Endless Forms Most Beautiful", nothing short of a musical apocalypse choreographed by Walt Disney is going to fit the bill right now. Fortunately, NIGHTWISH have never been in the business of aiming low and "Human. :II: Nature." smashes its targets with ease, while somehow sounding like a brave new chapter for the band at the same time. If you want big, it's definitely here, but this is the most intimate and emotionally resonant record NIGHTWISH have ever made, too. They're a clever bunch.

If you're a fan, you will already have heard the singles: the thunderous and edgy "Noise" and the twinkly eyed, folk-drenched "Harvest". Both were clear forward steps from the occasionally self-conscious opulence of previous records — NIGHTWISH sound so collectively at ease these days, that despite sounding like a vast amount of money has been spent on making this all sound overpowering and colossal, "Human. :II: Nature." is subtly rich and warm in sonic terms, too. In fact, it truly sounds like a real, red-blooded band in action. The orchestral and atmospheric embellishments that are so integral to the NIGHTWISH experience are here in abundance, of course, but it's beauty and intensity that dominate, rather than mere empty bombast. "Procession" and "Shoemaker" are both grand showcases for Floor Jansen's magnificently versatile voice, but her presence is used sparingly and with lethal efficacy. In the former, her blissfully melodic narrative is cleverly woven through an ever-changing, wildly dynamic landscape that builds into a very fine metal song, but which could have easily veered off in an entirely different direction. The latter is simply spellbinding. Meanwhile, the hook-laden "How's The Heart?" is almost obscenely memorable and sweetly touching.

A sense of spontaneity, and perhaps freedom, is more apparent in Tuomas Holopainen's songwriting here than ever before. Opener "Music" is simply dazzling, a mini-symphony that gently redefines the NIGHTWISH sound across seven epic minutes; "Tribal" is four minutes of pure dark melodrama and one of the heaviest things NIGHTWISH have recorded in a long time: where the band of "Century's Child" and "Once" sounded pristine but sometimes distant, "Human. :II: Nature." is fully present and surprisingly fiery. Part one closes with "Endlessness", a gripping, prog metal epic with both Jansen and Marko Hietala in supreme vocal form and enough low-end crunch to keep most recalcitrant metalheads intrigued.

As observant folk will be well aware, the second half of NIGHTWISH's ninth studio album comprises 30 minutes of instrumental, orchestral music. The band's "love letter to planet earth" is definitely not going to send every metalhead spinning in an ecstatic froth, but if you've followed the NIGHTWISH story up to this point, it's a sumptuous, poetic and deeply romantic celebration of the great outdoors, full of soaring melodies and moments of spine-tingling tranquility. The absence of the humanity that informed the album's first half is deliberate, of course: as much as NIGHTWISH are being indulgent here, this is also music that promises to soothe frayed psyches and to deliver some much-needed serenity and calm in these most troubling of times. It might even inspire a few people to become more ecologically enlightened. Either way, Finland's symphonic standard bearers have just made the most ambitious record of their career and it may well be their very best, too.
                      source: https://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/human-ii-nature/

Comment

Oh my... sorry, I'm having a little meltdown with this album. Also, I just discovered that they uploaded lyric videos for all songs!

And not just basic lyric videos, they really put a lot of work into them!

Here are a few of them:

Comment

It currently looks like "How's The Heart?" will be the third single, as it doesn't have a lyric video yet and someone asked them why it hasn't a lyric video yet, and they replied with 'tomorrow'

Hm. Interesting choice, unfortunately it's my least favorite song alongside "Harvest" so far, but apart from the lead singles, their single choices have never been the best ones.

Comment

Tansike I am so glad you are enjoying it! There’s definitely some great stuff there, but I think you hit the nail on the head for me...

There's just one negative thing so far - and unfortunately, that's a big one: It's WAY too short compared to their previous albums! Because even though the score part is lovely and may sound beautiful at some moments, I definitely don't see it as a track for the proper album. So basically 9 songs and 50 minutes.
                            I didn’t realise All the Works... was a score until a few days ago. I just assumed it was an over ambitious Poet and the Pendulum or Greatest Show on Earth. Beautiful as it is, it’s not really a part of the main album. So that leaves 9 tracks... 2 of which we already knew. And I still think Music is only half a song because it’s so quiet to begin with.

So unfortunately it’s like 6 1/2 new songs for me.

I think that’s why I’m so underwhelmed.

Procession has really grown on me now though. Wow!

Not really feeling Tribal yet...

Mainshow where are you?
                            Last edited by Airwrecka; Fri April 10th, 2020, 20:48.

Comment

^ Yes, also waiting for Sven's review!

I'm still getting into this and discovering the tunes. This will probably take a lot of time to really, really get into (like knowing the lyrics, or even the meaning behind the songs) as most songs are so complex.

My thought about this album being too short is starting to get more and more negative, because I definitely need even more. But I just read that Tuomas said he would love to release another album in 2021, so who knows, maybe we won't have to wait for five years this time and if that's the case, I'd be fine with those nine tracks when all is said and done.

"Music" (second part), "Noise", "Shoemaker" (that outro!!) and "Pan" are the clear highlights for me after one day. "Endlessness" is coming close the more I listen to it, "Procession" and "How's Your Heart?" are cute, also need to get used to "Tribal" more but it has some cool parts while "Harvest" is my least favorite song.

Comment

OT but it suits here the most: Anette‘s father passed away due to complications with the Coronavirus

Comment

Guys, I enjoy reading your reviews!
                                  I can't join you for now because my copy hasn't arrived yet (and I don't use Spotify).

In the meantime, I would love to see you submit your points for UkmixVision 2020 ;)
                                  https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...te-semi-finals
                                  Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

Ok, I think I've played this enough to be able to comment on individual songs now.

Music - I know I'm repeating myself, but the first half is such an inaudible non-event. I spend most of it just fiddling about for the volume button! Seriously, guys, it's the introduction to a Nightwish album about humans and nature - it should be freakin' epic!!! I feel like the lacklustre opening is almost foreshadowing this slightly underwhelming album? From about 2 mins onwards, however, the song is totally epic and I love it. Floor sounds great, and this could easily have been on EFMB.
                                    Noise - I really enjoy this. It's quite funny how it appeared to be a strange single choice given it's lack of commerciality - but it's actually one of the most radio friendly tracks on the album LOL.
                                    Shoemaker - I love all of it, but that ending - oh. my. god. One of the best songs on the album. <3
                                    Harvest - I'm clearly in the minority, but I think it's stunningly beautiful. Another favourite for me.
                                    Pan - pretty good. Reminds me of Dark Passion Play. I think it gets a bit too shouty in places though.
                                    How's the Heart? - it's really grown on me, and I can see why they'd pick it as a single. Easily the most commercial song on the album. It slightly reminds me of Élan in places. I do love the celtic influences.
                                    Procession - Wow! It took a few plays for me to connect with this. It is really special and totally reaffirms my love for Floor. Her voice is just divine. I do think it should have been the last track on disc 1 though.
                                    Tribal - does absolutely nothing for me, unfortunately. I think it suffers immensely from following Procession, but it's also a bit of a racket to be honest. It's basically what Master Passion Greed would sound like if it didn't have a tune. (Disclaimer: I really like MPG)
                                    Endlessness - pretty good. Loving the vocals! I don't think it's the best song to finish on though. I'd probably swap it with Procession, although I'm guessing there's some Tuomas narrative reasoning to the track order?

All The Songs With No Vocals - nice enough I guess. I'm not really feeling the woman at the beginning. They already did that with Richard Dawkins (which I loved). Feels a bit unnecessary to do it again? Ad Astra is when it really gets going, and then sadly, it's all over.

So yeah, I do really like the album, and I'm glad it kind of builds on from EFMB, but it's too short and nowhere near as consistently epic as their last few albums.
                                    Last edited by Airwrecka; Mon April 13th, 2020, 23:44.

Comment

My thought about this album being too short is starting to get more and more negative, because I definitely need even more. But I just read that Tuomas said he would love to release another album in 2021, so who knows, maybe we won't have to wait for five years this time and if that's the case, I'd be fine with those nine tracks when all is said and done.
                                      Yes please!!!

Comment

Nightwish died the day when they let Troy turning an epic band into a ridiculously Schlager-ish shadow of themselves whose songs sound more like cheesy Eurovision stuff from Ireland in the 90's.

I'm listening to the album for the very first time now (just received my copy today) and I actually feel embarrassed for listening to it (in parts). Floor's doing vocal gymnastics to please her former vocal coach (instead of showcasing her strengths (Shoemaker is an exception)) and Troy's uneventful and non-distinctive voice and artsy-fartsy pipes parts are randomly thrown in. He might be a great musician but he doesn't fit Nightwish at all and his vocals are ridiculous for a band of that calibre.

I wanted to give them another chance after their weakest album to date ("Endless Forms Most Beautiful") but I guess that I will have to say goodbye to a once-amazing band. They were pioneers in the world of Symphonic Metal but they should propably be classified as a different band now (probably a Country Metal Schlager Folk band?). Also, I'm shocked at how less involvement there is from Emppu. Where are the inspiring guitar riffs? Where's the metal? Apart from a few and short parts, this record sound like a score for a Disney movie.

I'm pissed off and heavily turned off and I lost the will to finish this album.

There is a tiny glimpse of the mind-blowing and epic Nightwish I have fallen in love with on this record like the 2nd half of "Shoemaker" which got me by surprised or "Pan" but apart from Noise (which was a bit misleading as a lead), I somehow have the feeling that they forgot to come up with some melodies or heavy riffs and tried to create something like an audiobook of Irish folk tales with a few short phrases of metal.

I will give it another try tomorrow but honestly, I'm highly disappointed again.
                                        Last edited by Mainshow; Thu April 16th, 2020, 23:40.

Comment

I've always thought that Floor is the issue why I can't connect with Nightwish anymore but I seriously believe that it's Troy I have problems with. He always tries to conquer each track he's more involved in and his loud folsky parts overshadows the heaviness and epicness of Nightwish. Their signature sound has vanished in most parts and it feels like listening to score/Tumoas' solo projects with a few Metal elements thrown in.

Also, I miss Marco's vocals. "Once" and "Dark Passion Play" are my favourite albums and Marco's been heavily involved in both records (as a vocalist).

Comment

OMG I love Tribal! I'm just istening to it right now
                                            I'm blown away!

More Tribals and less Troy's shit please!

Comment

Ok the second half of the album is slightly better.
                                              But I somehow expected this record to be heavier and darker again...also a bit faster?

I seriously don't think they should be classified as a Metal or even rock band anymore. It really does bother me that the guitars were buried and in some parts, I think it sounds like a huge ego trip of Tuomas. Too much keyboard and synths and ambitious songwriting and vocal gymnastics for Floor "to prove fans that she's right for Nightwish" - all this make. It sound less organic and somehow even artificial and unnatural to me.. Which is highly ironic since this record was meant to be a love letter to life, nature and Mother Earth.

I'm sorry but even Delain's latest album was more Metal, entertaining and epic than this one.
                                              This album's sound is even worse than "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" and it seems that Nightwish is about to turn into Auri 2.0.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually happy for Tarja she's not been part of this downfall of the former Symphonic Metal Gods.
                                              Last edited by Mainshow; Thu April 16th, 2020, 23:49.

Comment

Oh come on, Sven. Don't hold back - tell us what you really think!

Comment

Working...
                                                X