Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

Fourth studio album by Angel Olsen, released today.

Last edited by Jonathan; Fri October 4, 2019, 19:27.
    >>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Lark and All Mirrors are amazing. Can't wait to hear the album in full. And for my vinyl to arrive.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Angel talks with Jenn Pelly and breaks down every song. Very informative.

Comment

Ugh Angel. Why do you have to fight Lana for my AOTY?????

Amazing album. Not sure it's better than My Woman for me, but in the end it might end up being just that. This one definitely needs a mood to be heard. Love the crazy rock, synth and string mixes in the songs.

Comment

I've only listened to it once while ironing lol but I can already tell it's quite an impressive record, despite the lack of attention I had due to my shirts and trousers haha

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

#4 on Pitchfork's year end list.

4. Angel Olsen: All Mirrors

With each record, Angel Olsen’s music grows grander and darker, and on All Mirrors, she spreads her leathery wings and nearly blots out the sky. Her most dramatic release yet, All Mirrors telegraphs to us in Andrew Lloyd Webber-sized gestures: When Olsen's voice ascends an octave on “Lark,” the accompanying drum resounds like a cannon aimed at a fortress, and the dive-bombing glissandos from the orchestra mimic debris streaming around her. Over the album’s inky expanse, Olsen tries out an entirely new, gothic corner of her record collection: The Cure’s Disintegration, Cocteau Twins’ Heaven or Las Vegas, Siouxsie and the Banshees. Even at its gauziest, however, Olsen’s music still thrums with anxiety; her version of dream-pop is unsettled by existential terror, which prickles to the surface of “Too Easy” and “What It Is” like fever sweat. –Jayson Greene
              https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...t-albums-2019/

Comment

Two songs from the album ended up on Pitchfork's year end song list. She also has a collab with Mark Ronson on the list.

24. Angel Olsen: “All Mirrors”

Angel Olsen has always been difficult to pin down, a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an otherworldly warble and gut-punching lyrics. She has spent her career shapeshifting between genres and personas, from solo folkie to barnstorming indie bandleader to Mark Ronson- collaborating pop singer. On “All Mirrors,” the title track of her latest album, Olsen introduced her latest (and perhaps greatest) incarnation: mighty goth sorceress. The song unfurls like the train of a black satin wedding gown, undulating on a bed of sinister, classic-Hollywood strings and subtle synth pulses. Olsen intones ominously about lost beauty, being buried alive, and repeating the past, building to the kind of cathartic climax that demands to be shouted from a windswept cliff in a fierce rainstorm (preferably while wearing the elaborate bejeweled headpiece from the song’s striking music video). With that, we are thoroughly under her spell. –Amy Phillips
                13. Angel Olsen: “Lark”

On “Lark,” the opening track from All Mirrors, Angel Olsen once again surveys how men and women in love struggle to see each other clearly. She expands an idea from 2016’s “Heart Shaped Face”—that baggage dragged from relationship to relationship is too heavy to bear—into a high-stakes epic, the first of her songs that could legitimately shock you. She begins tenderly, but about a minute in, she starts hollering as if from the top of a mountain. Even once Olsen turns gentle again, the string arrangement simmers with dread—there is some kind of explosion coming, the song warns us, before it arrives, spectacularly. “Told me that I was the woman/He’d always be losing, always be dreaming,” Olsen says just before everything erupts. “What about my dreams?” she screeches, sounding like so many ambitious, fed-up women before her. –Jillian Mapes
                https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...st-songs-2019/

Comment

New Love Cassette and Endgame are my personal faves from this, but it is overall brilliant.

Comment

Summer might be my favorite out of the album tracks, but both Lark and All Mirrors are easily highlights for me. Lark is such a journey, and All Mirrors resonates with so much power in the music, lyrics and vocals.

Comment

#15 on Billboard's AOTY list.

15. Angel Olsen, All Mirrors

On her fifth album All Mirrors, Angel Olsen confronts her fractured state of mind with the sheen of strings, synths and self-assurance for an unburdening that allows the ascendant artist to display the clearest visage of herself yet. Despite the pivotal transition period of her life and career, Olsen still manages to not lose sight of her singular skills as a lyrical firebrand and captivating vocalist, whether she’s navigating the tense sonic standoff of “Impasse,” honing a quiet power in the hushed affirmations on “Tonight,” or soaring above a symphony as sweeping as the mountains in her Asheville, North Carolina hometown on “Lark." The reflective nature of All Mirrors suggests that Olsen might not be as familiar with the person staring back at her lately, but she’s never sounded more sure of herself than now. -- B.K.
                      https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...of-2019-top-50

Comment

Working...
                      X