Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2019 (#2 & #1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abi View Post
    My numero uno. Urgh, the rollout for this album was such a mess. It definitely suffered from being associated with the Lion King, even Wikipedia listed the album as 'a soundtrack'.

Honestly, there is no bad song on the album and I personally think the highlights off this album are so much better than LEMONADE. "Bigger", "Already", "Nile" & "Brown Skin Girl" are really such great additions into her discography. I'm still praying they're gonna release "Already" in the summer even though I know it's pretty much impossible.

They really should've gone with a different lead single for the album. Market "Spirit" only as the soundtrack single, and choose an uptempo like "Already" or "Water" for this one to avoid causing a misunderstanding regarding the sound of the album, and probably even leave out the "Lion King" from the album title. But anyways... we're used to having questionable marketing decisions when it comes to her music so...
    All of this, The Gift was my #1 of the year. A criminally underrated flop of an album that could've done so much better if given the proper push.

FKA Twigs was a revelation from me. Didn't pay attention to FKA before it, and I remember giving it a go at work and getting constant chills throughout. My #3.

Wondering who the Top 2 are, since my Top 15 besides Ariana already charted.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Tbh I didn't care about The Gift, Lizzo and Magdalene. The rest of Top 10 looks great tho. Can't wait for the winner

Comment

• Cuz I Love You was a solid album. "Juice", in particular, is spectacular. I enjoyed The Lion King: The Gift.

Tinashe for #1?
        Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [330-326]

Comment

Tinashe Songs for You

* Year-End Chart History: Aquarius (#2, 2014), Amethyst (#16, 2015), Nightride (#7, 2016), JOYRIDE (#13, 2018)

* Voted by: Loose, Preyoncé, Unbreakable34, Loveguru, mattsky, BeeBoy, Ivica, shinydiscopaul, minime, cheapthrills, ThaInfo1, DnBLover, JSparksFan, Ska8er, Rihab, croatiaxtina, JeremySpears, urbanmusik, abi, Marchum
          * Genre(s): R&B, Hip-hop, Pop
          * Highlights: ”So Much Better” (feat. G-Eazy), "Die A Little Bit” (feat. Ms. Banks), "Hopscotch”, ”Save Room For Us” (feat. MAKJ), ”Link Up”, ”Story For Us”

Songs for You is the fourth studio album by American singer Tinashe, released independently through her own label Tinashe Music Inc. on November 21, 2019. It is the first project since her departure from RCA Records in February 2019. The project features collaborations with MAKJ, Ms. Banks, 6lack, and G-Eazy. The album has received positive reviews, with publications praising her creativity, production and songwriting, as well as for releasing music independently.

Songs for You received positive reviews from music critics. Stereogum's Chris DeVille regarded the album as sonically "[feeling] like freedom. Liberated from label meddling, she has assembled a fine reminder of what made her to likable [sic] in the first place," and compares the overall sound for the album as "the vibe is that of an extremely talented R&B artist getting back to cooking after a deep, cleansing exhale." Madeline Roth from MTV describes Songs for You as "Tinashe taking full creative control over her work; something she was finally able to do [...] The result, it seems, is music that comes straight from the soul." Nylon's Allison Stubblebine said that "Tinashe is the R&B superstar we've been looking for, and now that her first-ever independent album Songs For You has dropped, it's time to throw it on repeat and give her the praise she deserves. There's not a single bad song on the record: Concluding at 51 minutes, the 15-track release showcases everything Tinashe does best."

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
          SHE IS BACK! This is a masterpiece. I‘m obsessed! There are no bad tracks. It’s better than "Nightride" and "Joyride". "So Much Better" is my favorite song.
          Originally posted by basticasas View Post
          I'm overwhelmed by this, THIS IS THE TINASHE THAT I WANTED!!!!! I'M SO GLAD 4 HER, THE ALBUM IS AMAZING!!!! Life's too Short, Feelings, Die a Little Bit, Link Up, Story of Us and Touch & Go are my favs!
          Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
          I wasn't expecting this album to sound so diverse. Tinashe touches on so many sonic bases, yet the album still sounds like a harmonious body of work. Her songwriting has such a distinct voice, it really ties the whole thing together.
          Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post

The songs are revealing themselves more with each listen, I can already tell this is going to be one of my favourites of 2019 by the end of the month. I love how Tinashe has patched two songs together on multiple tracks, she really is giving us so much.

This reminds me more of an elevated version of Tinashe's earlier mixtapes than her albums. I can't believe RCA had the audacity to stifle her when this was the brilliance she was capable of.

Tinashe deserves the world.
          Originally posted by Loose View Post
          She’s done a good job with this record. Replay value is high.
          Originally posted by shinydiscopaul View Post
          This is up there with the best albums of the year for me. What an absolutely cracking record. She really delivered and I'm so happy she's getting the recognition she deserves at long last.
          Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
          Ms Banks has the best feature but G Eazy fits soooo well on So Much Better. The way he raps... I can feel it

Comment

Ariana Grande thank u, next

* Year-End Chart History: Yours Truly (#16, 2013), My Everything (#4, 2014), Dangerous Woman (#6, 2016), Sweetener (#4, 2018)

* Voted by: Loose, Preyoncé, Unbreakable34, Loveguru, mattsky, Tansike, BeeBoy, beredy, Ivica, shinydiscopaul, cheapthrills, ThaInfo1, DnBLover, JSparksFan, Ska8er, Rihab, croatiaxtina, JeremySpears, abi, Marchum
            * Genre(s): R&B, Pop, Trap
            * Highlights: ”break up with your girlfriend, I’m bored”, "7 rings”, "thank u, next”, ”NASA”, ”bad idea”, "ghostin"

Thank U, Next (stylized in all lowercase) is the fifth studio album by American singer Ariana Grande, released on February 8, 2019, by Republic Records. Following the release of her previous studio album Sweetener (2018), Grande began working on a new album in October of the same year, enlisting writers and producers such as Tommy Brown, Max Martin, Ilya Salmanzadeh and Andrew "Pop" Wansel. The album was created in the midst of personal matters, including the death of her old friend Mac Miller and her break-up with fiancé Pete Davidson.

The album was preceded by two singles, the title track and "7 Rings", both debuting atop the Billboard Hot 100 chart, becoming Grande's first and second number one single in the US, respectively. "Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored" was released as the third single on the day of the album's release, peaking at number two on the Hot 100. In support of both Sweetener and Thank U, Next, Grande embarked on the Sweetener World Tour, beginning on March 18, 2019. Commercially, the album peaked atop the charts of many countries, including Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. One month after its release, the album was certified platinum by Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), for moving one million album-equivalent units in the US. The album has also broken multiple records on streaming services.

Upon its release, Thank U, Next received widespread acclaim from music critics, with many praising its cohesiveness and production. It was nominated for Album of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Album at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards while its second single, "7 Rings", was nominated for Record of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance. Thank U, Next was also ranked in several year-end and decade-end best music lists.

Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
            Okay so I'll say that I'm in love with Arianiqua.

Here are some of my raw thoughts of the album (just the new songs). I gave it my first listen at work, a listen while I worked out, and now I'm doing my cloud 9 listen currently lmao.

needy - Been waiting for this since the snippet. Not as raw as it was in the snippet (and as I originally wanted it), but I still LOVE. Makes me sappy and shit. She better emote.
            NASA - Catchy and relatable AF. Obesessed. I can't help but to Monica bop my head to it.
            bloodbline - The saucier sister of Side to Side. love the horns and stuff. Makes me wanna put my hands on my knees and let the lord take over.
            fake smile - This gives me Kanye/Jay production sample kinda teas that I was not expecting at all. Wasn't sure how I felt about it on the first listen but it has been a grower already. Think this is something my hiphop/neosoul-esque fathead boyfriend could appreciate.
            bad idea - Okay so this song confuses me. It's the only song on the album that sounds a little...unfinished and could be more polished. The first half is just aight and a little dull for this album so far for me tbh (yet it could grow on me...kinda reminds me of something)...but then these strings and full on production come in following this trap beat that bangs...wtf?
            make up - Yaaasss Arianiqua This rides. She rides the beat in a Bey/Rih kinda way. Nothing too special about it but I digs it.
            Ghostin - One of her most vulnerable and sappy songs ever. Omg girl really went there Love it. This is what I expected the whole album to be with what she has went through. Glad she did a song like this on here. This song will go down as one of those deep, emotional album cuts that will be special. Makes me wish she put that Remember song on here (a song she took of because she said she wasn't ready for the world to hear it in a sad way)
            in my head - Trapiana at her finest. One of my favs. Love everything about it. The vocal acrobatics and the skrr skrr in the chorus that brings out my inner bird smh. Yes bitch!!!
            break up with your girlfriend, I'm bored - THIS IS THE BAD BITCH ENERGY I ****ING NEED IN MY LIFE. YAAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Overall, I'm still processing. But I love this. It's definitely up there with Sweetener and Dangerous Woman for sure. But give a bitch sometime before she starts having to rank shit. Lol.
            Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
            Ghostin is a very powerful song, it touches me deep inside because I relate so much to it. F.ck
            Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
            I've had two months to sit with this album, and I think it's her most cohesive effort to date. There really isn't a bad song on the LP, but there also really isn't a big stunner. Sweetener wasn't perfect, but it had "Breathin" and "God Is a Woman" (two 10/10 songs). The best song on this album isn't even close to either of those two.

I adore the title track, but "In My Head" is probably my top song on the album. "7 Rings", "Ghostin", "Break Up...", "Imagine", and "Fake Smile" are all lovely, too.
            Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
            I LOVE HOW THIS BASICALLY TAKES US BACK TO 2004 POP
            Originally posted by hellohello View Post
            For some reason, this album reminds me of the more mellow songs from Riri's "ANTI" album and that is why I love it so much. I can listen to this album from start to finish without skipping. This goes well back to back with "Sweetener" imo. Both albums are a delight to listen to but this is more cohesive and the songs sound better when played in full imo.
            Originally posted by naughtynae View Post
            Ok so I'm going through a break up and this album clicked with me so much. Lyrically some songs go in interesting directions. This is the first album where I feel she feels like a true artists shes always been a star but I believe her on this album. It also has the right balance of bops and introspective tracks. I'm a fan.
            Last edited by abi; Wed March 18th, 2020, 10:28.

Comment

• Thank you so much everyone for the participation! Appreciate the love & everything!
              Loose Preyoncé Unbreakable34 Loveguru Leo Jonathan mattsky Tansike BeeBoy likeidogoldlink beredy Ivica shinydiscopaul minime cheapthrills ThaInfo1 heppolo DnBLover JSparksFan Ska8er Rihab croatiaxtina JeremySpears urbanmusik Marchum
              ​​​​​​
              Last edited by abi; Wed March 18th, 2020, 10:33.

Comment

• Also, would love to know if you guys are interested for this one?
                If yes, then when do you think we should start and how many albums we should vote for? I'm thinking of 15 (min) to 25 (max).

Comment

• MAGDALENE is such a great record. I also love TUN. Thank you for hosting!
                  Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Amazing job as always, Abi!!!

My review of Ponytails album She was my number one. I think my quote says enough to explain why. Loved this album. The best albums always seem to come from a dark place, but I feel like Ponytail really found a sound that works for her.

K?mix loves Miss Nashe. Wasn't expecting her to be that high. She was my #4. Solid album all around.

Here is my top 25 albums of 2019.
                    1. Ariana Grande - thank u, next.
                    2. Summer Walker - Over It
                    3. Solange - When I Get Home
                    4. Snoh Aalegra - ugh, those feels again.
                    5. Tinashe - Songs For You
                    6. Tyler, The Creator - IGOR
                    7. Anna Wise - As if it were Forever
                    8. Banks - III
                    9. SiR - Chasing Summer
                    10. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
                    11. Ari Lennox - Shea Butter Baby
                    12. Tobi Lou - live on ice
                    13. Roses Gabor - Fantasy and Facts
                    14. Lion Babe - Cosmic Wind
                    15. Kehlani - While We Wait
                    16. J. Cole and neem’ - Revenge of the Dreamers
                    17. Elle Varner - Ellevation
                    18. Offset - Father of 4
                    19. Gunna - Drip Or Drown 2
                    20. Lucky Daye - Painted
                    21. Dumblonde - Bianca
                    22. DaBaby - Kirk
                    23. Dawn Richard - New Bread
                    24. Megan the Stallion - Fever
                    25. Beyoncé and Co. - Lion King Soundtrack
                    Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• I honestly don't get the love for Tinashe's album. My bf plays that album and it sounds so bland and derivative. Like template R'n'B album. Not even repeat listening helps. I expected Ari to take #1 because she was the only one from my list that didn't appear yet after fka (my #1 BTW) and I didn't think she was going to miss this list.
                      I have received many gifts from God,
                      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• In this dry economy, well deserved to Ariana
                        | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Also, would love to know if you guys are interested for this one?
                          If yes, then when do you think we should start and how many albums we should vote for? I'm thinking of 15 (min) to 25 (max).
                          YEESSS PLEASE!!!

I‘m very happy with the Top 2! Voted for them both.
                          DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Comment

• Ah, my top 2 is the top 2 here, but in reverse order! Both are terrific LPs! I feel like Ari's is more pop, but I wouldn't protest her winning here, and as for Tinashe? I never expected her to really wow me the way she seemed to impress so many others, but Songs for You is quality through and through!

Many thanks for hosting, abi!
                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [330-326]

Comment

This would be great!!!

Comment

I‘d need a list of all possible albums though as I never remember what has been released when.
                                DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post

I‘d need a list of all possible albums though as I never remember what has been released when.
                                  Listing all the albums would be too much but I'll list albums that made into the countdown from 2010-2019. You can also reference Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop year-end charts for that matter.

Also, I'm still asking the mod for permission to start the countdown.

Comment

• Oh I thought Tinashe ranked already. Good top 2!

Here's my ranking:
                                    1. Beyoncé & Various Artists - The Lion King: The Gift
                                    2. Tyler, the Creator - IGOR
                                    3. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
                                    4. James Blake - Assume Form
                                    5. Anderson .Paak - Ventura
                                    6. Solange - When I Get Home
                                    7. KAYTRANADA - Bubba
                                    8. Summer Walker - Over It
                                    9. Chance The Rapper - The Big Day
                                    10. Tinashe - Songs for You
                                    11. Ariana Grande - thank u, next
                                    12. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
                                    13.Post Malone - Hollywood's Bleeding
                                    14. Dreamville & J. Cole - Revenge of the Dreamers III
                                    15. YBN Cordae - The Lost Boy

Originally posted by abi View Post

Yes please! Awesome job as always abi.
                                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Thank you abi for hosting such an awesome countdown and reminding me of all these beautiful, talented musicians.

Comment

• You did a fantastic well done job with the rate abi. Much love!

Well done to Ariana but I normally never give the popper stuff in my votes. But a win is a win yes yes yes what

Comment

• Originally posted by mattsky View Post
                                          MAGDALENE is such a great record. I also love TUN. Thank you for hosting!
                                          Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                          Amazing job as always, Abi!!!
                                          Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                          Many thanks for hosting, abi!
                                          Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                          Awesome job as always abi.
                                          Originally posted by Marchum View Post
                                          Thank you abi for hosting such an awesome countdown and reminding me of all these beautiful, talented musicians.
                                          Originally posted by minime View Post
                                          You did a fantastic well done job with the rate abi. Much love!
                                          Well, thank you everyone for participating! It's always fun running this countdown every year and I'm happy that y'all enjoyed it.

Comment

• You killed it

Comment

Working...
                                            X