Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2019 (#2 & #1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    Nothing wrong with stealing a few 100k from old rich people. 'Genick' is a bop.
    Damn sure that there is something very wrong with her.

abi Who says that criminals can’t do great music?
    DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Comment

• Loose I mean I just remember that one of my faves is Chris Brown so I really shouldn't have asked that.

Comment

• I guess they both hit hard in a different way.

Comment

• I actually enjoyed . Ed's effort
          Forever Young

Comment

• I didn’t pay attention to any of these records appearing in the countdown so far.

Comment

• I don't have anything nice to say about Ed, so that says it all. I tried Jamila's album twice and both of the times I couldn't wait for it to be over. I don't like her voice and the music is kind of annoying to me also.
              I have received many gifts from God,
              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• 45. (tie)

Raphael Saadiq Jimmy Lee

* Year-End Chart History: N/A

* Voted by: Leo, Jonathan
                * Genre(s): R&B, Funk, Soul
                * Highlights: "Something Keeps Calling” (feat. Rob Bacon), "So Ready”, "I’m Feeling Love”, "Rikers Island”

Jimmy Lee is the fifth studio album by American R&B singer, songwriter, and producer Raphael Saadiq. It was released on August 23, 2019 by Columbia Records. The album is named after Saadiq's brother, who died of a heroin overdose after contracting HIV.

Comment

• 45. (tie)

Juju Bling Bling

* Voted by: Rihab
                  * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, Trap
                  * Highlights: "Vermissen” (feat. Henning May), "Hardcore High”, "Live Bitch”, "Intro”

Bling Bling ist das erste Soloalbum der deutschen Rapperin Juju. Es erschien am 14. Juni 2019 über die Labels Jinx Music, Chapter One und Universal Music. Neben der Standard-Edition wurde das Album auch als Limited-Deluxe-Box veröffentlicht.

Comment

• 45. (tie)

BJ The Chicago Kid 1123

* Voted by: Leo
                    * Genre(s): R&B, Soul, Hip-Hop
                    * Highlights: "Time Today”, "Feel The Vibe” (feat. Anderson .Paak), "Get Away” (feat. JID, Buddy, Kent Jamz), "Playa’s Ball” (feat. Rick Ross)

1123 is the third studio album by American singer-songwriter BJ the Chicago Kid. The album was released on July 26, 2019, by Motown. The album features guest appearances from Anderson Paak, JID, Buddy, Kent Jamz, Eric Bellinger, Rick Ross, Offset and Afrojack. It received a nomination for Best R&B Album at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards.

Comment

Danny Brown uknowhatimsayin¿

* Voted by: Jonathan, urbanmusik
                      * Genre(s): Hip-Hop
                      * Highlights: "Dirty Laundry”, "Best Life”, "3 Tearz” (feat. Run The Jewels), "Savage Normad”

U Know What I'm Sayin? (stylized as uknowhatimsayin¿) is the fifth studio album by American rapper Danny Brown. It was released on October 4, 2019, by Warp Records. The album features guest appearances from Run the Jewels, Obongjayar, JPEGMafia and Blood Orange. Executive produced by Q-Tip, with contributions by Paul White, Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Standing on the Corner and JPEGMafia, the album received widespread critical acclaim, appearing on several publications' year-end lists.

Comment

Burna Boy African Giant

* Voted by: Loveguru, BeeBoy, heppolo
                        * Genre(s): Afro-fusion, Afrobeat, Dancehall, Pop, Hip-Hop
                        * Highlights: "On The Low”, "Gum Body” (feat. Jorja Smith), "Anybody”, "Gbona”

African Giant is the fourth studio album by Nigerian singer Burna Boy. It was released on July 26, 2019, by Spaceship Entertainment, Bad Habit, Atlantic Records and Warner Music. The album is a mixture of Afro-fusion, Afrobeat, dancehall, pop and hip hop. It was primarily produced by Kel P, along with production from P2J, Benjamin Zill, Mr Kleb, DJDS, GMK, Chopstix, TMXO, Dre Skull, Skrillex, Levi Lennox and IO. The album features guest appearances from Zlatan, Jorja Smith, Jeremih, Serani, M.anifest, Damian Marley, Angelique Kidjo, Future and YG. African Giant was supported by six singles: "Gbona", "On the Low", Killin Dem", "Dangote", "Anybody" and "Pull Up". It won Album of the Year at the 2019 All Africa Music Awards and was nominated for Best World Music Album at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards.

Comment

• There goes my first vote. African Giant really was a great album. Glad it made it into Top 50 since it's probably not what most of Ukmix cares for
                          MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• This is even weirder than the first bunch.

Raphael Saadiq is a neat producer. Apart from him I have never ever listened to any of the other musicians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loose View Post
                              This is even weirder than the first bunch.

Raphael Saadiq is a neat producer. Apart from him I have never ever listened to any of the other musicians.
                              This year we have lots of less popular acts charting. Maybe having less voters is not a bad thing after all.

I know BJ the Chicago Kid because he is featured on one of Kehlani's albums. Did a quick listen to his album and it's pretty nice actually. Very old school R&B with lots of Soul & Hip-Hop influences here and there.

As for Burna Boy, I recognize him from of course Bey's The Lion King project. Checked out some of his songs but I didn't quite enjoy them yet. Not as much as I enjoyed "Ja Ara E" at least.

Comment

• I was browsing through Saadiq‘s Jimmy Lee the other day.

I like the fact he‘s drawing inspiration from a drug addict and family member. This World Is Drunk is a vibe. King Fall is another great track.

Comment

Yuna Rouge

* Year-End Chart History: Chapters (#27, 2016)

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, heppolo, JSparksFan
                                  * Genre(s): Pop, R&B, Disco, Soul
                                  * Highlights: "Black Marquee” (feat. G-Eazy), "Castaway” (feat. Tyler, The Creator), "Pink Youth” (with Little Simz), "Does She” (feat. Jay Park)

Rouge is the fourth international studio album by Malaysian singer-songwriter Yuna. The album, which saw her collaborate with many international acts, was released on July 12, 2019, by labels Verve Forecast Records and Universal Music Group. Five songs in the album were released as singles. Rouge, Yuna's seventh album overall, was recorded between 2017 and 2019.

Comment

• 39. (tie)

Dreamville & J. Cole Revenge of the Dreamers III

* Year-End Chart History: KOD (#19, 2018), 4 Your Eyez Only (#26, 2016), 2014 Forest Hills Drive (#13, 2015), Born Sinner (#15, 2013)

* Voted by: cheapthrills, DnBLover, Ska8er
                                    * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, R&B, Trap
                                    * Highlights: "MIDDLE CHILD”, "Under The Sun” (feat. DaBaby, Lute), "Costa Rica” (feat. Guapdad 4000, Reese Laflare, Jace, Mez, Smokepurpp, Buddy & Ski Mask the Slump God), "Down Bad” (feat. JID, Bas, J. Cole, EarthGang, and Young Nudy)

Revenge of the Dreamers III is the third compilation album by American record label Dreamville and J. Cole, released on July 5, 2019, by Dreamville and Interscope Records. Revenge of the Dreamers III includes contributions from Dreamville artists, J. Cole, Bas, Cozz, Omen, Lute, Ari Lennox, EarthGang, and JID. The album features appearances from several artists including DaBaby, T.I, Young Nudy, Buddy, Reason, Maxo Kream, Mez, Vince Staples, Ty Dolla Sign, Dreezy, Smino, Saba, and Guapdad 4000, among others. The album features production from a variety of record producers, including T-Minus, Christo, Elite, Bink!, Deputy, Henny Tha Bizness, Hollywood JB, ChaseTheMoney, Pyrex, Galimatias, Pluss, Kal Banx, and Cam O'bi, among others. Recording sessions for Revenge of the Dreamers III took place in Atlanta, Georgia at Tree Sound Studios over the course of 10 days in January 2019. A total of 343 artists and producers were invited, while 142 songs were recorded during the sessions. On the standard edition of the album, 35 artists and 27 producers contributed to the final product. The album was accompanied by a thirty minute documentary titled, Dreamville Presents: Revenge, documenting the recording sessions.

Comment

• 39. (tie)

Daniel Caesar CASE STUDY 01

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, Leo, abi
                                      * Genre(s): R&B, Soul, Neo soul
                                      * Highlights: "CYANIDE”, "LOVE AGAIN” (with Brandy), "SUPERPOSITION” (feat. John Mayer), "ENTROPY”

Case Study 01 (stylized in all caps) is the second studio album by Canadian singer and songwriter Daniel Caesar, released on June 28, 2019, through Golden Child Recordings. It features guest appearances from Brandy, Pharrell Williams, John Mayer, Sean Leon and Jacob Collier.

Comment

• 39. (tie)

Chance the Rapper The Big Day

* Year-End Chart History: Coloring Book (#16, 2016), Acid (#45, 2013)

* Voted by: Leo, Ska8er, Rihab
                                        * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, Pop-rap, Gospel rap, R&B, Soul
                                        * Highlights: "Hot Shower” (feat. MadeinTYO & DaBaby , "We Go High”, "Handsome” (feat. Megan Thee Stallion), "Slide Around” (feat. Lil Durk & Nicki Minaj)

The Big Day is the debut studio album by American rapper Chance the Rapper, released on July 26, 2019. The album follows several mixtapes by the rapper including the reissue of his collaborative Merry Christmas Lil' Mama in 2017, and is his first solo project since Coloring Book in 2016. The album was influenced by Chance's marriage, which occurred in March 2019. The album was met with generally positive reviews from critics, but received backlash from fans on social media. The album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200, Chance's highest-charting entry to date.

Comment

• Yay for Yuna. Didn't vote for it, not a big fan of the album either but it's always nice to see Asian acts thriving! "Black Marquee" was cute though.

Not a big fan of Daniel Caesar's latest effort either, but it wasn't a bad album. I really like "CYANIDE". Surprised his previous album didn't chart though considering how popular "Best Part" was (at least in where I live).

Chance deserved to flop based on the album artwork alone. Also what was the controversy surrounding the album's release? Was it because he was mad at all the not-so-positive reviews?

Comment

• Chance's album was soooo long
                                            Forever Young

Comment

• I should have been checking out YUNA a long time ago but I completely forgot.

Edit: She absolutely deserves to appear in this countdown. Forevermore and Blank Marquee are great atmospheric songs. JSparksFan proved taste again.
                                              Last edited by Loose; Thu February 6th, 2020, 09:22.

Comment

• Ohhh...
                                                Chance and Daniel!
                                                i can’t believe I forgot so many great albums

Comment

• I have to be honest.. I didn't check out the J.Cole joint..as most people (like we saw in 2018 for a certain couple) I'm not really here for them

Chance was such a disappointment for me I didn't want to vote for him despite liking some tracks on the album. The Coloring Book was great and is one of my decade favrorites, this was trash compared to it.
                                                  MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

Little Simz GREY Area

* Voted by: Jonathan, minime
                                                    * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, Pop-rap
                                                    * Highlights: "Selfish” (feat. Cleo Sol), "Venom”, "101 FM”, "Offence”

Grey Area (stylised as GREY Area) is the third studio album by English rapper Little Simz, released on 1 March 2019 through Age 101 Music.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X