Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2019 (#2 & #1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missy Elliott Iconology

* Year-End Chart History: Miss E… So Addictive (#30, ‘00s)

* Voted by: Preyoncé, Unbreakable34, mattsky, Tansike, likeidogoldlink, Ivica, shinydiscopaul, JeremySpears
    * Genre(s): Hip-hop, Trap, R&B
    * Highlights: ”Throw It Back”, "DripDemeanor” (feat. Sum1), "Cool Off”, ”Why I Still Love You”

Iconology is the first extended play (EP) by American hip hop artist Missy Elliott, released on August 23, 2019. It is her first body of work since her 2005 album The Cookbook. The EP features a variety of musical genres that cover the breadth of her career as an artist and has received favorable reviews from critics. It was released at a time when Elliott returned to music following a lengthy hiatus.

Comment

Khalid Free Spirit

* Year-End Chart History: Suncity (#24, 2018), American Teen (#17, 2017)

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, Loveguru, mattsky, Tansike, BeeBoy, Ivica, Rihab, abi
      * Genre(s): R&B, Pop
      * Highlights: ”Talk”, "Better”, "Saturday Nights” (feat. Kane Brown), ”My Bad”

Free Spirit is the second studio album by American singer Khalid, released on April 5, 2019, through RCA Records. It is the follow-up to his 2018 EP Suncity, and includes the single "Talk". Khalid also announced a short film directed by Emil Nava to accompany the album, which was released on April 3. The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200.

Comment

• Extra batch for today.

Comment

• oh Khalid!

Loved the album
          Forever Young

Comment

• I enjoyed all the albums in the Top 20. I didn't listen to Shea Butter Baby or Urgh, those feels again, might have to check them out.

Blood Orange barely missed my list.
            Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Ciara delivering another trash album. I'm tired.
              Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• 12. (tie)

Kehlani While We Wait

* Year-End Chart History: SweetSexySavage (#6, 2017), You Should Be Here (#21, 2015)

* Voted by: Loose, Preyoncé, Unbreakable34, Tansike, BeeBoy, minime, cheapthrills, ThaInfo1, JeremySpears, abi, Marchum
                * Genre(s): R&B, Pop
                * Highlights: ”Nights Like This” (feat. Ty Dolla $ign), "Butterfly”, "Nunya” (feat. Don Kennedy), ”Footsteps” (feat. Musicq Soulchild)

While We Wait is the third commercial mixtape by American singer and songwriter Kehlani. The album was released on February 22, 2019, by Atlantic Records. While We Wait features guest appearances from Musiq Soulchild, Dom Kennedy, Ty Dolla $ign, and 6lack.

Comment

• 12. (tie)

Banks III

* Year-End Chart History: The Altar (#10, 2016), Goddess (#11, 2014)

* Voted by: Loose, Tansike, ThaInfo1, Rihab, croatiaxtina, JeremySpears
                  * Genre(s): Goth-pop, Electronic soul, Pop, R&B
                  * Highlights: ”Contaminated”, "Gimme”, "Look What You’re Doing To Me” (feat. Francis & The Lights), ”Godless”

III is the third studio album by American singer and songwriter Banks. It was released on July 12, 2019, by Harvest Records. It was preceded by the release of three singles, "Gimme", "Look What You're Doing to Me", and "Contaminated". The album peaked at number 21 on the Billboard 200.

Comment

KAYTRANADA Bubba

* Year-End Chart History: 99.9% (#28, 2016)

* Voted by: Loveguru, likeidogoldlink, minime, heppolo, DnBLover, Ska8er, urbanmusik
                    * Genre(s): Alt-R&B, Dance, Pop, Electronic
                    * Highlights: ”10%” (feat. Kali Uchis), "Vex Oh ” (feat. GoldLink, Eight9Fly, Ari PenSmith), "Gray Area” (feat. Mick Jenkins), ”Need It” (feat. Masego)

Bubba is the second studio album by Canadian electronic music producer Kaytranada, released by RCA Records on December 13, 2019. The album features guest appearances from Kali Uchis, Pharrell Williams, Mick Jenkins, Tinashe, Estelle, Charlotte Day Wilson, and GoldLink, among others.

Comment

• Bubba was that girl
                      Forever Young

Comment

• There goes my #1 BANKS! So happy you guys liked that album. It was my favourite of the year and it’s still fresh af to me. Such a great compilation of many different sounds. Absolutely LOVED it!

Kehlani‘s record was good, Night Like This being one of THE most played songs from the past year.
                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• Banks did her things with III. Her best and my favorite project of hers. She was my #8

While We Wait was super cute and an amazing project to hold fans over while she was preggo. RPG and Nunya >>>>>>>

Bubba was cute, but I wish he had some more slow/mid tempo cuts. Those are my favorite productions of his. He let the geh out on this album.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                            Banks did her things with III. Her best and my favorite project of hers. She was my #8
                            Preach!!

I am also pleasantly surprised that her other two records ranked pretty damn well in this competition.

Comment

• GoldLink's album is an absolute banger. Glad it made the top 20 since it's not exactly Ukmix' favourite genre. Ciara's alberm was trash. A few highlights but too many fillers. Loved Free Spirit and While We Wait, Nights Like This is one of the best tracks of the year for me. Need to check out the rest, all have been on my list tbh. I've been bopping to Gimme by Banks to nearly a year but forgot to vote for her
                              aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Moving on, his very first entry in the top 10 ladies and gentleman...

James Blake Assume Form

* Year-End Chart History: The Colour in Anything (#17, 2016), Overgrown (#12, 2013)

* Voted by: Loveguru, Leo, mattsky, heppolo, DnBLover, Ska8er, Rihab, croatiaxtina
                                * Genre(s): Alt-R&B, Electronic, Soul, Hip-Hop, Pop
                                * Highlights: ”Barefoot In The Park” (feat. Rosalia), "Mile High” (feat. Travis Scott & Metro Boomin), "I’ll Come Too”, ”Where’s The Catch?” (feat. André 3000)

Assume Form is the fourth studio album by English singer-songwriter and producer James Blake. It was released on 18 January 2019 by Polydor Records. Critics described the album as having a more upbeat sound than Blake's prior work, especially his previous album, The Colour In Anything (2016). The album, which contains elements of electropop, hip hop, and R&B, features guest vocal appearances by Travis Scott, Moses Sumney, Rosalía, and André 3000, as well as contributions from producer Metro Boomin.

The lead single "Don't Miss It" was released on 4 June 2018 and two further singles, "Mile High" and "Lullaby for My Insomniac" followed in January. Upon the album's release, Assume Form received praise from critics for its more upbeat sound, romanticism and production. The album was nominated for Best Alternative Music Album at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards.

Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
                                Easily the best Album of the last 6 months
                                Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                This is great. I know it's early, but I can see it ending up as one of my favourite albums of the year.
                                Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                Love this album, although it did take a couple listen to sink in. Power On is the one for me.

Comment

• James who? No clue who dat is.

However, that Barefoot song is rather good.

Comment

• ^He did "Forward" on Beyonce's Lemonade. He's rather indie/alternative and I'm happy that he's finally made the top 10 considering how lowkey he is even though I'm not really a fan.

However, I do looooove "Barefoot In The Park". I think I'm starting to have a crush on Rosalia, she's so gorgeous!

Comment

• Welcoming a newcomer on this countdown...

Summer Walker Over It

* Year-End Chart History: N/A

* Voted by: Loose, Unbreakable34, Loveguru, BeeBoy, minime, ThaInfo1, Ska8er, croatiaxtina, JeremySpears, abi, Marchum
                                      * Genre(s): R&B
                                      * Highlights: ”Come Thru” (with Usher), "Playing Games” (with Bryson Tiller), "Body”, ”I’ll Kill You” (feat. Jhene Aiko)

Over It is the debut studio album by American singer Summer Walker. It was released on October 4, 2019, by LoveRenaissance and Interscope. The album has spawned the singles "Playing Games", "Stretch You Out", and "Come Thru." It also features the remix of Walker's "Girls Need Love" featuring Drake. Aside from Drake, the album features collaborations with Bryson Tiller, Usher, 6lack, PartyNextDoor, A Boogie wit da Hoodie and Jhené Aiko. Most of the album is produced by Walker's boyfriend, London on da Track. Walker went on the First and Last Tour in support of the album from October 25, 2019.

Originally posted by Marchum View Post
                                      I'm obsessed with the whole album. Play it at least once a day from start to finish, if not more. It's my go-to album whenever I need some music in the house.
                                      Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                      Became my most listened to album this year in a month. Surpassed Thank You Next. The bird music always does it to me.
                                      Originally posted by minime View Post
                                      Yeah I'm really enjoying this. Happy to hear it's doing well too.

Comment

• "COME THRU" IS REALLY ONE OF THE BEST R&B SONGS OF THE DECADE!!!

Comment

• Playing Games and Like It became easily my favorite songs from this record.

It‘s a solid debut. However it could have been much stronger with a little more variety in production imo.

Comment

• Fever is pretty good. It's definitely better than the album she just put out yesterday.

I really love "Selah" on Jesus Is King.

7 EP has "Old Town Road" and "Rodeo" which makes it pretty good for me.
                                            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [110-106]

Comment

• "Over It" was my #2. Neck and Neck with my #1. I loved this album and has been in heavy rotation since release. R&B that vibed through the entire album. Although I do miss some of the other variety of her project prior, Londononthetrack did a good job considering he's typically a hip hop producer.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Random, but am I the only one who thinks that Summer Walker always looks different every time? She's a gorgeous woman, but I saw the album cover, then I saw her speech when she received the newcomer award, I saw some of her music videos and I swear they all look like different persons.

Comment

• I absolutely adore Assume Form. It's the first James Blake album I heard in full, and I did not expect such a high quality of songwriting and production. My #4.

I enjoyed Summer Walker's album a lot, especially Playing Games and Come Thru, but I feel that she's too dependent on her boyfriend (the album is filled with London tags), and her performances have been lifeless. Her recent comments on coronavirus annoyed me too. Regardless, I ranked the album at #8.
                                                  Last edited by Ska8er; Sun March 8th, 2020, 14:03.
                                                  Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by abi View Post
                                                    Random, but am I the only one who thinks that Summer Walker always looks different every time? She's a gorgeous woman, but I saw the album cover, then I saw her speech when she received the newcomer award, I saw some of her music videos and I swear they all look like different persons.
                                                    She had some surgery done ✅

Comment

Working...
                                                    X