UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2019 (#2 & #1)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aang
    • 27 Dec 2007

Yuna Rouge

* Year-End Chart History: Chapters (#27, 2016)

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, heppolo, JSparksFan
    * Genre(s): Pop, R&B, Disco, Soul
    * Highlights: "Black Marquee” (feat. G-Eazy), "Castaway” (feat. Tyler, The Creator), "Pink Youth” (with Little Simz), "Does She” (feat. Jay Park)

Rouge is the fourth international studio album by Malaysian singer-songwriter Yuna. The album, which saw her collaborate with many international acts, was released on July 12, 2019, by labels Verve Forecast Records and Universal Music Group. Five songs in the album were released as singles. Rouge, Yuna's seventh album overall, was recorded between 2017 and 2019.

Comment

• aang
      • 27 Dec 2007

39. (tie)

Dreamville & J. Cole Revenge of the Dreamers III

* Year-End Chart History: KOD (#19, 2018), 4 Your Eyez Only (#26, 2016), 2014 Forest Hills Drive (#13, 2015), Born Sinner (#15, 2013)

* Voted by: cheapthrills, DnBLover, Ska8er
      * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, R&B, Trap
      * Highlights: "MIDDLE CHILD”, "Under The Sun” (feat. DaBaby, Lute), "Costa Rica” (feat. Guapdad 4000, Reese Laflare, Jace, Mez, Smokepurpp, Buddy & Ski Mask the Slump God), "Down Bad” (feat. JID, Bas, J. Cole, EarthGang, and Young Nudy)

Revenge of the Dreamers III is the third compilation album by American record label Dreamville and J. Cole, released on July 5, 2019, by Dreamville and Interscope Records. Revenge of the Dreamers III includes contributions from Dreamville artists, J. Cole, Bas, Cozz, Omen, Lute, Ari Lennox, EarthGang, and JID. The album features appearances from several artists including DaBaby, T.I, Young Nudy, Buddy, Reason, Maxo Kream, Mez, Vince Staples, Ty Dolla Sign, Dreezy, Smino, Saba, and Guapdad 4000, among others. The album features production from a variety of record producers, including T-Minus, Christo, Elite, Bink!, Deputy, Henny Tha Bizness, Hollywood JB, ChaseTheMoney, Pyrex, Galimatias, Pluss, Kal Banx, and Cam O'bi, among others. Recording sessions for Revenge of the Dreamers III took place in Atlanta, Georgia at Tree Sound Studios over the course of 10 days in January 2019. A total of 343 artists and producers were invited, while 142 songs were recorded during the sessions. On the standard edition of the album, 35 artists and 27 producers contributed to the final product. The album was accompanied by a thirty minute documentary titled, Dreamville Presents: Revenge, documenting the recording sessions.

Comment

• aang
        • 27 Dec 2007

39. (tie)

Daniel Caesar CASE STUDY 01

* Year-End Chart History: N/A

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, Leo, abi
        * Genre(s): R&B, Soul, Neo soul
        * Highlights: "CYANIDE”, "LOVE AGAIN” (with Brandy), "SUPERPOSITION” (feat. John Mayer), "ENTROPY”

Case Study 01 (stylized in all caps) is the second studio album by Canadian singer and songwriter Daniel Caesar, released on June 28, 2019, through Golden Child Recordings. It features guest appearances from Brandy, Pharrell Williams, John Mayer, Sean Leon and Jacob Collier.

Comment

• aang
          • 27 Dec 2007

39. (tie)

Chance the Rapper The Big Day

* Year-End Chart History: Coloring Book (#16, 2016), Acid (#45, 2013)

* Voted by: Leo, Ska8er, Rihab
          * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, Pop-rap, Gospel rap, R&B, Soul
          * Highlights: "Hot Shower” (feat. MadeinTYO & DaBaby , "We Go High”, "Handsome” (feat. Megan Thee Stallion), "Slide Around” (feat. Lil Durk & Nicki Minaj)

The Big Day is the debut studio album by American rapper Chance the Rapper, released on July 26, 2019. The album follows several mixtapes by the rapper including the reissue of his collaborative Merry Christmas Lil' Mama in 2017, and is his first solo project since Coloring Book in 2016. The album was influenced by Chance's marriage, which occurred in March 2019. The album was met with generally positive reviews from critics, but received backlash from fans on social media. The album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200, Chance's highest-charting entry to date.

Comment

• aang
            • 27 Dec 2007

Yay for Yuna. Didn't vote for it, not a big fan of the album either but it's always nice to see Asian acts thriving! "Black Marquee" was cute though.

Not a big fan of Daniel Caesar's latest effort either, but it wasn't a bad album. I really like "CYANIDE". Surprised his previous album didn't chart though considering how popular "Best Part" was (at least in where I live).

Chance deserved to flop based on the album artwork alone. Also what was the controversy surrounding the album's release? Was it because he was mad at all the not-so-positive reviews?

Comment

• Loveguru
              Legend
              • 26 Mar 2009

Chance's album was soooo long
              Forever Young

Comment

• Loose
                Legend
                • 17 Apr 2006

I should have been checking out YUNA a long time ago but I completely forgot.

Edit: She absolutely deserves to appear in this countdown. Forevermore and Blank Marquee are great atmospheric songs. JSparksFan proved taste again.
                Last edited by Loose; Thu February 6, 2020, 07:22.
                It's a man's man's man's world.

Comment

• Marchum
                  Superstar
                  • 05 Jul 2018

Ohhh...
                  Chance and Daniel!
                  i can’t believe I forgot so many great albums

Comment

• BeeBoy
                    Superstar
                    • 25 Dec 2008

I have to be honest.. I didn't check out the J.Cole joint..as most people (like we saw in 2018 for a certain couple) I'm not really here for them

Chance was such a disappointment for me I didn't want to vote for him despite liking some tracks on the album. The Coloring Book was great and is one of my decade favrorites, this was trash compared to it.
                    aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• aang
                      • 27 Dec 2007

Little Simz GREY Area

* Voted by: Jonathan, minime
                      * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, Pop-rap
                      * Highlights: "Selfish” (feat. Cleo Sol), "Venom”, "101 FM”, "Offence”

Grey Area (stylised as GREY Area) is the third studio album by English rapper Little Simz, released on 1 March 2019 through Age 101 Music.

Comment

• aang
                        • 27 Dec 2007

35. (tie)

Trina The One

* Voted by: mattsky, minime
                        * Genre(s): Hip-Hop, R&B
                        * Highlights: "BAPS” (feat. Nicki Minaj), "Get Money”, "Mama”, "On His Face” (feat. Lightskin Keisha)

The One is the sixth studio album by American rapper Trina. It was released on June 21, 2019 by Fast Life Entertainment and her label, Rockstarr Music Group. It is her first album since Amazin' (2010). The album was preceded by the singles "If It Ain't Me", "Get Money", "Mama", "On His Face" and "BAPS".

Comment

• aang
                          • 27 Dec 2007

35. (tie)

Mahmood Gioventù Bruciata

* Voted by: heppolo, Rihab
                          * Genre(s): Pop, R&B, Moroccan Pop, Hip-Hop
                          * Highlights: "Soldi”, "Barrio”, "Uramaki”, "Gioventù Bruciata”

Gioventù Bruciata (Italian for "Wasted youth") is the debut studio album by Italian singer-songwriter Mahmood. The album was released on Island Records on 22 February 2019. The album peaked at number one on the Italian Albums Chart. The album includes the singles "Uramaki", "Milano Good Vibes", "Asia occidente", "Gioventù bruciata" and "Soldi". Gioventù bruciata was first released as an extended play on 21 September 2018.

Comment

• aang
                            • 27 Dec 2007

35. (tie)

Fantasia Sketchbook

* Year-End Chart History: The Definition Of (#29, 2016), The Side Effects of You (#14, 2013)

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, minime
                            * Genre(s): R&B, Soul
                            * Highlights: "PSTD” (feat. Tank & The Bonfyre), "Bad Girl”, "Enough”, ”Looking For You”

Sketchbook is the sixth studio album from R&B artist Fantasia, released in the fall of 2019. The album marks her first album since the release of 2017's Christmas album Christmas After Midnight. In an interview with Billboard, Fantasia discussed the meaning behind the album title: “I'm like, 'Sketchbook!

Comment

• aang
                              • 27 Dec 2007

Okay so this Mahmood guy, I've been hearing his name a couple times here so I decided to check out his music and wow, I'm really loving what I'm hearing so far. He doesn't sound like your typical Pop/R&B singer, there's something about his sound that I really dig - might be the local music influences? Idk but let me finish the album.

Comment

• Loose
                                Legend
                                • 17 Apr 2006

Fantasia‘s record was partly great imo. I haven’t voted for it though as it wasn’t well-crafted enough.
                                It's a man's man's man's world.

Comment

• mattsky
                                  Legend
                                  • 17 Mar 2009

You know I’m team Khia but Trina always delivers
                                  Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Marchum
                                    Superstar
                                    • 05 Jul 2018

Sketchbook was dull

Comment

• ThaInfo1
                                      ThaInfo1 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Was indeed. Fanny Mae has lost her touch. All her last 3 albums were eh.

Revenge of the Dreamers was dope. It was on my top 25 but I had to narrow it down to 15.

I only enjoy Cynade and the Brandy song from Foot's album.

Big Day was way too long but had some bops. Enjoyed that he had En Vogue, Kierra Sheard and SWV as features with current day rappers. That was dope.

I enjoyed a couple of songs for Raphael Saadiqs albums.

I need to check out some of these others as I haven't heard .
                                  • Omiros
                                    Legend
                                    • 05 Nov 2008

Revenge of the Dreamers was quite good, but I tend to be biased towards Cole releases.

Daniel Caesar's album is meant to be good but he put me off listening to it by his behavior. I really struggle to separate the artist from the art.

The Big Day was one of the most disappointing releases of the past few years for me, but I still did enjoy some of the songs which is why I voted for it. It's a good record if you get rid of the filler.

I haven't listened to the rest to be honest, although I want to check out BJ and Burna Boy's releases.
                                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• aang
                                      • 27 Dec 2007

Wait ThaInfo1 is that a new feature that you just did? Legit had never noticed that.

Comment

• Loveguru
                                        Legend
                                        • 26 Mar 2009

Yea those albums were meh to me
                                        Forever Young

Comment

Working...