Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2019 (#20 - #18)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a record I have voted for!

Mabel‘s High Expectations left me a bit underwhelmed even though it’s a fairly neat record for being that commercialized.

We Don’t Say became my jam during summer 2019 due to its sublime sexual tension and storytelling. OK (Anxiety Anthem) was another great moment for me even though the production is way too bubblegum pop for my taste.

I am actually surprised it ranks that low as the record has been crafted to achieve commercial success.
    DRINK. SMOKE. DANCE. VIBE A LITTLE BIT | My last.fm

Comment

• Voted for BROCKHAMPTON. I really liked "If You Pray Right" as reminds me of a Timbaland production and some of the other tracks are really good as well.

I was never a Mabel fan but she really lost me when she decided to take Dua Lipa's "New Rule" direction with her sound.

Comment

• Oh and I decided to check out a couple of Mahlia's songs while making that post but I honestly, she's kinda good. Sonically she's not different than any other current female R&B singers like Summer Walker, Ella Mai, etc. but well, a bop is a bop.

Comment

• I have been planning to listen to the new BROCKHAMPTON and Meghan albums but haven't gotten around to it.
          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• 25. (tie)

Gallant Sweet Insomnia

* Year-End Chart History: Ology (#36, 2016)

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, Loveguru, Rihab, abi
            * Genre(s): R&B, Soul
            * Highlights: ”Sweet Insomnia” (feat. 6lack), "Sleep On It”, "Compromise” (feat. Sabrina Claudio), ”Paper Tulips”

Sweet Insomnia is Gallant’s sophomore album. It features rapper 6lack and R&B singer Sabrina Claudio as well as contributions from producer Stint. This project differs from Ology with heavier, old-school synths, but continues to show off Gallant’s impressive vocal abilities. “Sharpest Edges”, “Sleep on It”, and “Compromise” were all released as singles before Sweet Insomnia’s official debut.

Comment

• 25. (tie)

Flying Lotus Flamagra

* Year-End Chart History: You’re Dead! (#46, 2014)

* Voted by: Jonathan, heppolo, DnBLover
              * Genre(s): Jazz-funk, Hip-hop, Electronic
              * Highlights: ”More” (feat. Anderson .Paak), "Black Balloons Reprise” (feat. Denzel Curry), "Land of Honey” (feat. Solange), ”Spontaneous” (feat. Little Dragon)

Flamagra is the sixth studio album by American record producer Flying Lotus, released on May 24, 2019 by Warp Records. It is his first album since 2014's You're Dead!. The lead single, the spoken-word "Fire Is Coming" featuring David Lynch, was released along with its video on April 17, 2019. The album also features contributions from Anderson Paak, George Clinton, Little Dragon, Tierra Whack, Denzel Curry, Shabazz Palaces, Thundercat, Toro y Moi and Solange.

Comment

Doja Cat Hot Pink

* Year-End Chart History: N/A

* Voted by: Loose, BeeBoy, Marchum
                * Genre(s): R&B, Pop, Funk, Soul
                * Highlights: ”Juicy” (feat. Tyga), "Say So”, "Cyber Sex”, ”Rules”

Hot Pink is the second studio album by American rapper and singer Doja Cat. The album was released on November 7, 2019, by Kemosabe. It features the singles "Juicy", featuring Tyga, "Bottom Bitch" and "Rules". The album features guest appearances from Smino, Tyga and Gucci Mane. According to the Rolling Stone Top 200 Albums chart, Hot Pink has sold 167,600 album-equivalent units in the US during its chart run on 5,867 pure sales.

Comment

• Gallaaaaant!!
                  Forever Young

Comment

• OMG I love Doja Cat! I ranked her pretty high.

if I remember correctly she was my #4.

Comment

• It didn't rank in my 15 at the time, but at this point now it would've. It's been growing on me like crazy. Hot Pank is perfect for the gym too.

Love The Flying Lotus song with Solange.
                      Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• Love everything about Megan, but Fever was lukewarm.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• 22. (tie)

Post Malone Hollywood’s Bleeding

* Year-End Chart History: Beerbongs & Bentleys (#30, 2018)

* Voted by: Tansike, BeeBoy, heppolo, Ska8er, croatiaxtina, abi
                          * Genre(s): Pop, Hip-hop, Pop rap, Pop rock
                          * Highlights: ”Circles”, "Goodbyes” (feat. Young Thug), "Wow”, ”Sunflower” (with Swae Lee)

Hollywood's Bleeding is the third studio album by American rapper and singer Post Malone. It was released on September 6, 2019, by Republic Records. The album features guest appearances from DaBaby, Future, Halsey, Meek Mill, Lil Baby, Ozzy Osbourne, Travis Scott, SZA, Swae Lee, and Young Thug. The production was handled by Andrew Watt, BloodPop, Brian Lee, Carter Lang, DJ Dahi, Emile Haynie, Frank Dukes, and Malone himself, among others.

Hollywood's Bleeding received generally positive reviews and debuted atop the US Billboard 200. It is Malone's second US number-one album. The album was the second-biggest first week sales of 2019 and biggest in streams. It was supported by six singles: "Wow", "Goodbyes", "Circles", "Enemies", "Allergic", and "Take What You Want". The first three songs peaked at number two, three, and one on the US Billboard Hot 100, respectively. The album also includes the Billboard Hot 100 number one single, "Sunflower", a collaboration with American rapper Swae Lee, from the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse soundtrack.

Comment

• 22. (tie)

Kanye West Jesus is King

* Year-End Chart History: Kids See Ghosts (#31, 2018), The Life of Pablo (#12, 2016), Yeezus (#8, 2013), Watch The Throne (#3, 2011), My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (#1, 2010), 808’s & Heartbreaks (#6, 2008), Graduation (#12, 2007) (#21, ‘00s), The College Dropout (#15, ‘00s), Late Registration (#42, ‘00s)

* Voted by: Jonathan, JSparksFan, Rihab, croatiaxtina, JeremySpears
                            * Genre(s): Christian hip-hop, Gospel
                            * Highlights: ”Follow God”, "Closed on Sunday”, "Selah”, ”On God”

Jesus Is King is the ninth studio album by American rapper and producer Kanye West. It was released on October 25, 2019, through GOOD Music and distributed by Def Jam Recordings. The album follows a Christian theme, with West describing it as "an expression of the gospel." West had formed his gospel group the Sunday Service Choir in January 2019, performing gospel songs and covers of songs from West's discography. The songs "Water" and "Everything We Need" were performed live prior to release by the Sunday Service Choir.

Jesus Is King features guest appearances from Clipse, Ty Dolla Sign, Kenny G, Fred Hammond, Ant Clemons, and the Sunday Service Choir. Production is included from West, Benny Blanco, E*vax, Finatik N Zac, Francis Starlite, Labrinth, Mike Dean, Pi'erre Bourne, Ronny J, Timbaland, and Warryn Campbell, among others. West quit taking medication for his bipolar disorder and began recording in August 2018, originally announcing the album as Yandhi. The album missed two initial release dates in September and November 2018 under its original title, before being delayed indefinitely.

Comment

Lil Nas X 7

* Voted by: Tansike, cheapthrills, JSparksFan, JeremySpears
                              * Genre(s): Hip-hop, Pop Rock, Trap, Alternative
                              * Highlights: ”Old Town Road” (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus), "Panini”, "Rodeo” (feat. Cardi B), ”C7osure (You Like)”

7 is the debut extended play (EP) by American rapper and singer Lil Nas X. The EP was released on June 21, 2019, by Columbia Records. It was preceded by the Billboard Hot 100 number one single, "Old Town Road" (both the original version and Billy Ray Cyrus remix), "Panini", and “Rodeo”. It features guest appearances from Cyrus, Travis Barker, and Cardi B. 7 received six Grammy Award nominations, including a nomination for Album of the Year.

Comment

• I loved Flying Lotus' album but it didn't have a lot of longevity.

I avoided Post Malone as much as possible the past few years but Sunflower, Circles and Wow won me over. He can definitely write a hook.

Kanye's album works better as a concept than an album. I was disappointed by the lyricism and mastering. The Sunday services are much better.

I don't rate Lil Nas X.
                                Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Ari Lennox Shea Butter Baby

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, Leo, likeidogoldlink, minime, ThaInfo1, Marchum
                                  * Genre(s): R&B, Soul, Neo soul, Jazz
                                  * Highlights: ”Shea Butter Baby” (feat. J. Cole), "BMO”, "Whipped Cream”, ”Up Late”

Shea Butter Baby is the debut studio album by American singer and songwriter Ari Lennox. It was released on May 7, 2019, by Dreamville and Interscope Records. The album was executive produced by Dreamville producer Elite. In addition, the majority of the album was produced by Dreamville's in-house producers: J. Cole, Elite, Omen, Ron Gilmore, and Christo, among others.

Comment

Blood Orange Angel’s Pulse

* Year-End Chart History: Negro Swan (#10, 2018)

* Voted by: Leo, likeadogoldlink, beredy, heppolo, croatiaxtina
                                    * Genre(s): R&B, Neo Soul, Alt-R&B
                                    * Highlights: ”Dark & Handsome” (feat. Toro y Moi), "Benzo”, "Good For You” (feat. Justine Skye), ”Gold Teeth” (feat. Project Pat, Gangsta Boo & Tinashe)

Angel's Pulse is a mixtape by Dev Hynes as Blood Orange. It was released via Domino Recording Company on 12 July 2019. It is his first release since his fourth studio album Negro Swan (2018). Originally released digitally, it was later released on compact disc, vinyl, and cassette tape on 4 October 2019.

Comment

Snoh Aalegra - Urgh, those feels again

* Voted by: Loose, likeidogoldlink, ThaInfo1, urbanmusik, Marchum
                                      * Genre(s): R&B, Soul
                                      * Highlights: ”I Want You Around”, "Whoa”, "To Find Someone Like You”, ”Toronto”

- Ugh, those feels again is Snoh Aalegra’s sophomore album released on August 16, 2019. Snoh initially announced the release date through an Instagram post on June 14, 2019 along with the release of the album’s third single “Find Someone Like You.”

Comment

• Decided to check out all the three artists while making those posts and I really liked "BMO" by Ari and "Toronto" by Snoh. Probably the most soulful batch of albums we've had so far.

Comment

• Yay, I‘ve been voting for Ugh Those Feels Again cuz I stan!

Comment

• Ugh, Those Feels Again was my #4. I had such a tough time with my top 5. All were neck to neck. THE QUALITY she has.

I forgot all about Angel's Pulse. Would've been in my top 20. His best work yet imo.

Ari Lennox was my #11. Such a solid album. Love her whole sound, vibe and she's funny af.

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Working...
                                            X