No announcement yet.

Rina Sawayama - Sawayama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this album - it did sound a very disjointed listen on the first go, a bit like the spice girls and destiny's child mixed with nu metal

It's a grower though - Who's going to save you now is my favourite.
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

I was just listening to this yesterday and although it has some gems on it, she's so one-trick-pony with her material to me.
      Floped and localed

Comment

This album is very eclectic, like 10 different genres. I love 'Bad Friend' and the only other songs I downloaded after listening were 'Dynasty' and 'Chosen Family'.
        Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

This is a Bad Friend Stan account.

Comment

I love Tokyo Love Hotel. It does something to me.

This is sooo Utada circa Exodus.
            Floped and localed

Comment

Have you seen any interviews of her?

I was starstruck by her BIG amount of personality she‘s got. I was very impressed with all her contributions.

I wish her music on the other hand was a bit more polished. Some things I‘d describe as a hot mess still.
              "You don't have to be perfect but you have to be 100% committed." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | My last.fm

Comment

I gave this a proper spin after digging into Sawayama interviews. It’s indeed much better with all the background info.

There‘s definitely a very instant 90‘s/early 00‘s cheesy chart pop vibe to it but I can swallow it better knowing how much thought went into it actually. As for now my favourites would be:

#1 COMME DES GARΗONS (LIKE THE BOYS)
                #2 WHO‘S GONNA SAVE YOU NOW?
                #3 XS
                #4 BAD FRIEND
                #5 TOKYO LOVE HOTEL

I still can’t handle neither the mess that STFU is nor DYNASTY.
                "You don't have to be perfect but you have to be 100% committed." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | My last.fm

Comment

Music video for "Bad Friend."

Comment

Great she‘s trying something new even though I don’t know what to do with it.

Comment

That was cute. Glad my fav got a video.

Comment

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

That’s indeed some sort of tragedy after growing up in the UK for so long.

Comment

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

The deluxe edition of SAWAYAMA is coming Dec 4

read here

Comment

Originally posted by Loose View Post
                                The deluxe edition of SAWAYAMA is coming Dec 4

read here
                                Looking forward to the deluxe edition. This album is so much stronger than I expected. "Akasaka Sad" randomly clicked with me the other day.
                                Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2020: [#1!]
                                Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2020: [#1!]
                                Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2020: [#1!]

Comment

After all it resembles a wild and vivacious Anime soundtrack. It’s overall very quirky and in your face.

My favourites are the more refined XS, Bad Friend, **** This World (I wish this was a full song) and Who‘s Gonna Save You Now.

I might add LUCID as well as it has the most commercial value on the album.

Comment

I wish she put "Cherry" on the deluxe.

That song is too good to be a stand alone single.

Comment

I love that late 90's - early 00's vibe on this.She's really good at mixing diffrent genres

Comment

The additional songs for the deluxe are all over the place. Lucid is definitely the most polished.

Comment

I still like this album a lot, but "Lucid" is just something else. It's by far Rina's best song IMO and doesn't really fit on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                            I still like this album a lot, but "Lucid" is just something else. It's by far Rina's best song IMO and doesn't really fit on this.
                                            She should have kept it for her sophomore album (which I presume will be entirely produced by Bloodpop).

Comment

The 50 Best Albums of 2020: Staff Picks

20. Rina Sawayama, Sawayama

On paper, Rina Sawayama’s debut album shouldn’t work; a TRL-infused pop-meets-nu-metal self-portrait that sounds like Britney Spears getting remixed by Korn is not what pop die-hards are expecting in 2020. But it’s that kind of creative ingenuity that makes Sawayama one of the best albums of this year — the 30-year-old alternative pop star commands your attention from its opening notes. Sawayama paints a vivid portrait of familial discord and coming-of-age in the 21st century: On album opener "Dynasty," the singer questions the pain she's inherited through the generations of her family, while standout track "Bad Friend" follows her as she questions her own ability to be there f or those she loves. From beginning to end, Sawayamaprovides you with production, vocals and lyrics that will worm their way into your brain, refusing to "STFU!" -- S.D.
                                              https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ms-2020-top-50

Comment

The deluxe edition adds nothing to the album‘s replay value. We Out Here and Bees & Honey contribute nothing to elevate this project.

We‘re all very thankful for LUCID Though.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X