Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Crying At The Discotheque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Crying At The Discotheque

The original is a classic, but I do really like Sophie's version.
    Big.Big.Booty.

Alcazar’s version has much more better production; whilst i love Sophie’s voice but the new version seems like Karaoke, the vocals and the music seem to be heavily disjointed.
    Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

Although I like Sophie singing this song, I agree that this sounds like a karaoke version, and that's not being harsh, that's just what i think this is, Sophie singing on a cheap microphone to a karaoke version of the Alcazar song. I actually thought the album was going to be reimagined versions of her songs, but now I'm not so excited about this project after hearing this.
      1 Harry Styles |2 PNAU |3 Michael Gray|4 Jessie Frye |5 Jazmine Sullivan

Comment

Hear me out here....maybe that's what she is going for? A Karaoke sound? I mean the idea of the album is based around her live sessions from her kitchen so something karaoke sounding would fit the theme? No?

Comment

I love it
          My Music Blog - PopStonesHeroes.com

My Facebook

Comment

This is a good version, maybe cause its so similar to Alcazar's.

Comment

Ha, This is giving me a bit of 2002 nostalgia trip on first listen (yes, I know Alcazar's was originally 2000) but both this and Sophie's Murder on the Dancefloor were big here in Australia in Early 2002.

She dosent really do anything majorly different with it, but a nice cover.
              UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Love it and can’t wait to see her supporting steps

Comment

Love this song! On repeat. Sophie's voice fits really good and this sound

Comment

It sounds like an OK karaoke, not in good way
                    the song had it’s charm back then, she could have made it with current sound
                    nekoo.cz - follow me

Comment

Originally posted by tj_club View Post
                      Love it and can’t wait to see her supporting steps
                      Well I think they should support her on tour.

Great version, I love her voice here!
                      KUBA'S CHART

Comment

definitely nice cover!
                        Last FM <3
                        Instagram

Comment

she slayeeeeeeeeeeed it!

Comment

It is a faithful cover. The instrumental was the best part of the original - so I'm glad they kept the instrumental majorly the same. But you can hear some new elements in it - for instance, the piano feels like its pushed to the front and centre - to give Sophie's naturally melancholic vocals more emphasis - I definitely liked that about it. I also prefer the ending on Sophie's version. And that is as much as I have to say about the production.

The original has been one of my biggest guilty pleasures. But Sophie's voice brought something new to the song - she sounds absolutely amazing on it! I'm glad we finally got the studio cover of the song 13 years after she performed it first. I've always maintained that this song was made in disco heaven for Sophie but ended up with Alcazar by chance. While I've been a massive fan of Wanderlust and Familia, it is refreshing to hear Sophie's voice on a proper disco sound again.

I wish the GH album had a few more covers - but I think it's pretty standard, really. She's got most of her singles and a new version of Groovejet + 2 studio recordings of covers and 2 live covers. That's a fair expectation from a GH album. I think the mailers she sent out hyped the album in the wrong way - I was hoping for some unreleased songs and more covers. But I can't complain, given that this is aimed at Joe public.

I hope the new single does well for her. Apparently, it was on the iTunes Top 40 on the day of the release - and that is something she hasn't had in a while.
                            Last.FM : Instagram : YouTube : Spotify

Comment

She's selling better with this than Sam Smith with his new song (she was top 20 yesterday, now #15) - please keep streaming it! I hope she can get top 50 with this
                              KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Really like this... uplifting which is what I think Sophie does great at... great little boo this :-)

Comment

I love love her version!
                                  KUBA'S CHART

Comment

"Her version" is IDENTICAL to the original.

Comment

Heard it in the latest World Chart Show. I was like "why it sounds so familiar". Then I realized it's Alcazar's song and I just can't tell any difference between this one and the original. Like someone said above, it's more like a Karaoke version.
                                      Global Hits Chart: Weekly top 40 songs with audio programs.

Comment

Sophie did a really great job with this cover, I love it! I hope a new album is on the way!

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleBoy View Post
                                          Sophie did a really great job with this cover, I love it! I hope a new album is on the way!
                                          isn't it from actual "new" GH collection?

I don't agree it is identical to Alcazar - vocal makes a huge difference
                                          KUBA'S CHART

Comment

I love this track, can't wait to hear her upcoming funky/disco singles...
                                            Read More https://www.electrowow.net/

Comment

I agree with Shane, it sounded karaoke at first but I love it now. The video is really heart-breaking actually, all those empty venues with no sign of reopening...

Comment

This is only getting better with every play. What a tune.
                                                Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                  I agree with Shane, it sounded karaoke at first but I love it now. The video is really heart-breaking actually, all those empty venues with no sign of reopening...
                                                  yes the video is one of best I've seen lately.
                                                  KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Working...
                                                  X