No announcement yet.

Normani - Wild Side (feat. Cardi B)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivation > this. It might do some damage in US but this will flop globally. She needs a Pop banger if she wants to be a global star, or she can do R&B and remain in Ciara, Tinashe, etc. league.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Her best so far was Checklist and Waves.

Motivation was mediocre and so is this one.
      She delivers visually and with choreo but that is all... vocally and w music nah.
      She's not happening.
      BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
      YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• I love the background vocals and the slow build up of the song.

Gives me Streets and Motivation (By K. Rowland) vibes.

The video takes this all the way to the next level. I'm so proud and happy for her.

This shows she can do a little something something and doesn't need to be a big vocalist. I'm very happy they are going hard in this R&B direction.

I read that she actually didn't care for her Motivation. If she does a pop sound, it just needs to make sense. Motivation screams ponytail leftover track.

Comment

• Yeah, I ain't feeling this after a couple of spins.
          It absolutely goes nowhere and y'all know I'm a sucker for slow/mellow R&B but this ain't cutting it for me.

I agree with whoever said that some scenes from the vid don't go with the song. I feel the same when watching the scenes with her in red or in white at the end.

Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• The song has grown on me actually, I've revisited it more times than expected. It gives me classic R&B vibes but also sounds fresh. The Aaliyah sample definitely helps.

She better upload the extended/video version on streaming platforms this week. Her middle 8 is the best part of the song.
            Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Apparently Normani's team didn't clear Aaliyah's sample, but her uncle is somehow okay with it.

Aaliyah’s Uncle Says Normani Didn’t Clear ‘One in a Million’ Sample for Her New Song ‘Wild Side’

Barry Hankerson, Aaliyah’s uncle and owner of her masters, gives his blessing to use the song but says it would have been “more honorable” to ask permission

Normani’s single “Wild Side” recently dropped, attracting attention with its prominent sample of Aaliyah’s hit song “One in a Million.” But the late singer’s uncle said this week that Normani wasn’t granted permission to sample the song.

Barry Hankerson, Aaliyah’s uncle and owner of her master recordings, told TMZ that it would have been “more honorable” if Normani had requested clearance for “One in a Million.” Nevertheless, he said Aaliyah would have been “pleased” to see her legacy kept alive.

“I will not stand in the way of something that brings to light the incredible staying power of Aaliyah,” he said. “So in that light, wishing Normani well with the song and overall career. God bless. I think Aaliyah would be pleased.”

Hankerson, who founded Blackground Records to launch his niece’s music, added that Aaliyah “always encouraged young women pursuing their musical and entertainment careers to achieve their dreams.”

“I believe that Aaliyah would be very supportive of a young Black woman that chose to emulate her music and style,” he said.

A Blackground attorney verified with TMZ that authorization to use the sample was never given, while Normani’s team asserted that “Wild Side” does not actually use a direct sample of the song.

Meanwhile, Normani seemed to invalidate her team’s claims when replying to a tweet about Timbaland, who produced “One in a Million.” After Timbaland tweeted in support of her single, she replied, “I must’ve died when I seen this.”

Digital access to Aaliyah’s music has long been restricted, to the great frustration of her fans. Her debut album, “Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number,” is available on primary streaming services, but the singer’s estate has held back most of her remaining catalog, including her 1996 follow-up, “One in a Million,” and her 2001 self-titled album. Aaliyah died in an airplane accident in 2001, when she was 22 years old.

Aaliyah’s estate took to social media on Jan. 16 for its latest update on the matter, on what would’ve been the performer’s 42nd birthday.

“We hear you and we see you. While we share your sentiments and desire to have Aaliyah’s music released, we must acknowledge that these matters are not within our control and, unfortunately, take time,” Aaliyah’s estate wrote. “Our inability to share Aaliyah’s music and artistry with the world has been as difficult for us as it has been for all of you. Our priority has always been and will continue to be Aaliyah’s music.”
              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• The one time I want that annoying ass uncle of hers to block something and he does nothing.
                Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• This is messy quite frankly and reveals, to me, that she really doesn't have a strong team behind her to ensure that all ducks are in a row.

Either that, or this was a deliberate oversight to get around what could've been a denial of sample use in which case it's really smart.
                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• “I can prolly suck a watermelon through a straw” is such a terrifying thought, if her suction power is that strong it would make me very anxious putting it anywhere near her.
                    1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• ^^

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                      This is messy quite frankly and reveals, to me, that she really doesn't have a strong team behind her to ensure that all ducks are in a row.

Either that, or this was a deliberate oversight to get around what could've been a denial of sample use in which case it's really smart.
                      It's not smart at all, and a huge risk to take on a lead single. I think Timbaland should at least get some credit as they replicated his production.
                      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                        “I can prolly suck a watermelon through a straw” is such a terrifying thought, if her suction power is that strong it would make me very anxious putting it anywhere near her.
                        Rolling back the rivers in time...

Comment

• The version with the middle 8 is finally on streaming now, enjoy

Comment

• I think the sample is more of a interpretation of the beat, but not exactly a clone...which is why they are able to pull it off.

It works tho.

This is so well produced. I'm not used to R&B songs having this much effort nowadays.

Comment

• I like this version more than the single one!!!!

Comment

• Why whenever female artists work together do they have to do the whole lesbian thing.
                                1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                  Why whenever female artists work together do they have to do the whole lesbian thing.
                                  Yeah its so overdone. Can they come up with something else.com
                                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                  Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Spotify:

16/07 — 1,413,613
                                    17/07— 2,411,754 (+998,141)
                                    18/07 — 3,206,430 (+794,676)
                                    19/07— 4,094,140 (+887,710)
                                    20/07 — 5,795,531 (+961,199)
                                    21/07— 6,614,419 (+818,888)
                                    22/07— 7,616,588 (+1,002,169)

Comment

• Kay I'm loving this now. The chorus is stuck in my head.

Comment

• Wild Side debuts at #49 this week on the Official Singles chart, it's Normani's sixth entry on the chart!!!!

Comment

• Extended on Spotify.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post

This is so well produced. I'm not used to R&B songs having this much effort nowadays.
                                            Yeah this is so true actually.
                                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I'm obsessed with this ;-; the instrumental it's sooooo good!!!! and Normani did that.

Comment

• Congrats!

Comment

• Wow, that's actually really high! Congrats Normani!

Comment

• Did not think it would land in the top 20.
                                                    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Working...
                                                    X