No announcement yet.

Jesy Nelson - Boyz (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I don’t accept the Raye argument in the first place anyway, the reason she hasn’t got her album out has nothing to do with her colour. Look at the charts, some weeks they’re almost exclusively POC, the reason her album hasn’t come out is because she’s not interesting enough as an artist and has absolutely nothing unique to sell. People are happy to listen to her sing catchy songs on the radio, but do they care about buying her album? I doubt it.
    1 Ministers De La Funk |2 James Morrison|3 Gryffin |4 Wet Leg |5 NOTD

Comment

• Originally posted by IVyoncÚ View Post

I wanted to give her a fair chance. But this is not it for me. The song tries to sell something gritty/hard hitting like Christina's Dirrty with the sample pushing for it. But Jesy sounds way too sweet throughout the song. In the video she looks like a walking parody/stereotype and this will only play into the heat she already got. If that's what she wants to gather attention, they made the right call. Overall I am not seeing the big shift she promised in the 'I am going to make the music, I want to make'. Add the other 3 girls onto this, and it easily could have been a LM5 album track around Love a Girl Right/American Boy
      P E R I O D T.

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
        Well I don’t accept the Raye argument in the first place anyway, the reason she hasn’t got her album out has nothing to do with her colour. Look at the charts, some weeks they’re almost exclusively POC, the reason her album hasn’t come out is because she’s not interesting enough as an artist and has absolutely nothing unique to sell. People are happy to listen to her sing catchy songs on the radio, but do they care about buying her album? I doubt it.
        It's not only about that though. Raye also spoke about being more or less forced to do pop and use her white passing features. She was signed as an R&B singer-songwriter and more or less was told to do certain music otherwise they wouldn't put any music out at all

Comment

It's not only about that though. Raye also spoke about being more or less forced to do pop and use her white passing features. She was signed as an R&B singer-songwriter and more or less was told to do certain music otherwise they wouldn't put any music out at all
          the R&B material did nothing for her... at least it was more popular at dance, cause even her pop songs failted to crack the top 40 in the UK if it wasn't a huge collab, I def think the reason RAYE didn't get an album released it because people are not interested in her, sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post

A superior timeless tune.
            THEE superior BAD BOYS. Alexandra slapped hard in this one!!!

Comment

• Yeah I mean yeah the R&B did nothing for ,Raye but still the fact she has been asked to hide her identity and use her white passing features to sell more general catering music on itself is problematic. Just like how people are asked to bleach their skins if they are too dark and various other things poc artists get asked to fit into the industry and commercial landscape.

That is why I didn't got the earlier made response by ScholasBoy, because pop music is a very white landscape and commercial music is as well. Most record CEOs and managers are (old) white men. Even Leigh Anne talked in her documentary how 'white' and less diverse their team was.So yeah someone like MNEK or Raye first had to build a profile to gain confidence and gather people around them, that when they voice their opinion, they would not get blacklisted or whatever or face other consequences. Because sadly that is what happens in the business. And there are enough examples of that. So it was for me never about Raye's album but more about everything she was asked to do to hide parts of herself.

Even if you throw it back around to the Jesy song. Why are POC artists asked to change their features to even get a small seat at the table and then still not fully celebrated, while Jesy tries to look as racially ambiguous as possible and every critism is brushed aside, to the point where members brush it all away , like we are talking about fairytales? As if it doesn't excist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

What I find funny is she’s not “Blackfishing” if that were a real thing, which it’s not, if anything she’s “Latinafishing”.

The video is a throwback to the bad boys video, it’s a nice homage and the Black American guy behind the original video clearly invited her doing it.
                Your posts are actually disgusting. The songs trash too.

Comment

• OK I watched it now....jeeeez...where to start... OK I like the song, mostly because I already love the instrumental. Her voice has nothing interesting in it, and she is not coming across well in the video. Speaking of which, this is such a copy of the BB4L original video, which is fair enough if it was an iconic video that everyone knows and remembers, but it wasn't tbh... Nicki's verse, ummmm...Diddy, Ma$e and Black Rob (!!), not exactly references that a lot of Jessy fans are going to get. I think this may be the beginning and the end of Jessy's solo career.
                  1 Ministers De La Funk |2 James Morrison|3 Gryffin |4 Wet Leg |5 NOTD

Comment

• It's funny about the Raye talk because her younger sister had a hand in writing this song.

I feel the song isn't really special but I don't hate it either. Her vocals could have been better and I'm not a fan of the baby voice in the pre-chorus. She is definitely capable of better. And the video is just trying too hard, you can tell she wasn't there when Diddy filmed his scene.

That said it will probably do well in the UK, and maybe the US because of Nicki's fans.

Comment

• Watched the video, but i didn't like it. This aint a good solo debut imho, it couldve been a little mix track

Comment

• I really like the use of the sample. The original is such a bop.
                        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

• Definitely a case of style over substance I think after seeing the video, be interesting to see how this does chart-wise cos if it was anyone less known it’d do nothing.

Comment

• Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• ^don't expect that to be the last thing

Comment

• Whyyyy does it remind me of that Bad Babysitter song from 2002?

Comment

• I dunno what to make of this. Her vocals sound nothing like her! The song itself has some cool production, although it’s not exactly a killer debut kind of song. However, I find the video a bit cringey and I’m not a huge fan of the really chavvy / bling look tbh.

For me, the blackfishing thing is a bit uncomfortable. It looks to me like she really does want to pass herself off as a black woman in the video. I’m even getting slight Lil’ Kim vibes from her look. The fact that she is considerably darker than Nicki is a bit awkward really.
                                  Keep an eye on Dan. Promise me you can. He gets out of hand if you let him…

Comment

• this is a family member of Leigh Anne, one was already posted by sk8er

It seems it has been a topic of discussion, even within LM the last two years in some capacity
                                    Last edited by IVyoncÚ; Fri October 8, 2021, 18:10.

Comment

• Terrible. Everything about it is terrible.
                                      Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Not only is the song and video awful, I just don’t get her desire to do this. It sounds like a little mix b-side and doesn’t fit with what she’s said previously about their glamourised image.
                                        "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Comment

this is a family member of Leigh Anne, one was already posted by sk8er

It seems it has been a topic of discussion, even within LM the last two years in some capacity
                                          Having watched Leigh-Anne’s documentary and heard her talk about the challenges she has faced as a black woman in the music industry, it makes Jesy’s behaviour seem a bit off to me. Not only has she been very quiet on the issue, but she’s actually acting in a way that shows complete contempt / disregard for her former bandmate’s experience. What’s even more bizarre is that Jesy had her own documentary, so I would have thought Leigh-Anne’s would be interesting to her. It’s really hard not to conclude that she just doesn’t care.
                                          Keep an eye on Dan. Promise me you can. He gets out of hand if you let him…

Comment

• I think the frustrating thing is that it's been pointed out to her. She's acknowledged it, but she hasn't done a thing to change it. So to me that shows that she doesn't care.
                                            Rolling back the rivers in time...

Comment

• who is she and why its #1 worldwide
                                              KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by jason2379 View Post
                                                Whyyyy does it remind me of that Bad Babysitter song from 2002?
                                                Ooooh…..my god! I’m screaming. Now you’ve said it it’s all I hear.

it’s a second single at best. Nowhere near good enough for a debut. The tik tok 12 year olds will eat it up though.
                                                Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

Comment

• Interesting that Leigh-Anne liked this post https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUxBLWloACK

Comment

• All that hype for nothing

Comment

Working...
                                                    X