Jesy Nelson - Boyz (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Airwrecka View Post
    I dunno what to make of this. Her vocals sound nothing like her! The song itself has some cool production, although it’s not exactly a killer debut kind of song. However, I find the video a bit cringey and I’m not a huge fan of the really chavvy / bling look tbh.

For me, the blackfishing thing is a bit uncomfortable. It looks to me like she really does want to pass herself off as a black woman in the video. I’m even getting slight Lil’ Kim vibes from her look. The fact that she is considerably darker than Nicki is a bit awkward really.
    Jesse still looks like a white woman overtanned to orange to me. I would never think she is black, even from that video.

And Nicki is quite light skinned herself tbh. She is not full black.

Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Living in Australia, in the summer, most people do their best to look as dark as possible, vis the sun or out of bottles, it has nothing to do with Black people it is the fact that to most people a tan looks a look nicer than being super White.l, I know after spending time there it is similar with a lot of Woman in the UK, it is part of their ongoing culture to tan themselves.

I hope Jesy finds happiness and ignores what people are saying, she looks great and is hurting no one, your culture is not the colour of your skin, if she feels comfortable with a dark tan good on her and if any Black woman wants to appear lighter good on them too.

Culture - The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society (no mention of skin colour).

There are millions of White Africans and there are millions of Black Europeans, should they look be able to celebrate the culture of countries they actually live in and not just have ancestors from 100s of years ago.

bringing up artists like “Raye” who hasn’t released an album due to her having very limited success, it is wrong and dangerous to put that into the colour of her skin but that seem to be the easiest thing to cling onto.

we all have differing opinions, let’s respect them and move on.

Comment

• I thought I didn’t mind the song on first listen but the video is embarrassingly cringey. I know the 90s are back in but take this back please
        You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Jesse still looks like a white woman overtanned to orange to me. I would never think she is black, even from that video.
          I agree that in some of the shots she just looks overtanned / orange / ridiculous. But there are also plenty of times where she is clearly trying to look mixed race / black / racially ambiguous (call it what you will) with the dark skin tone, afro hair, thick lips, etc. The degree to which she actually succeeds at this is open to debate - and isn’t really the point IMO. There are however, people who have admitted that they genuinely thought she was black or mixed race.

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
          And Nicki is quite light skinned herself tbh. She is not full black.
          Well, Nicki is no stranger to accusations of skin bleaching etc. But if you look at a photo of her pre-fame, you can see her natural ethnicity much more clearly. Similarly, look up Jesy pre-fame and she looks very different also.

I appreciate that you are referring to skin tone when you say that Nicki is not “full black”, but I think we have to be very careful here. Being black is so much more than just one skin tone. As far as I’m concerned, Nicki is black. Period.

The problem with blackfishing as I understand it, is that being black is about so much more than just a person’s skin tone. There are some really complex issues of identity, privilege and discrimination at play here. Some people will argue that blackfishing doesn’t exist. Others might suggest that accepting the term means there must also be an equivalent - for a moment, let’s call it “whitefishing”. The problem is that they are not equivalent and never can be. This is because of those complex social issues I mentioned: identity, privilege, discrimination etc. Racial prejudices have permeated through so many aspects of modern society such as education, healthcare, employment, justice etc. It’s about so much more than just skin tanning and / or bleaching.

I should probably say, I’m really not trying to call you out here, InFamous. I know you’re a decent guy. <3

This is such a complex topic, and this thread is probably not best the outlet for it. As a white male, I recognise the difficulty of my own privileges when I try to engage in this conversation, but nonetheless I do try really hard to listen and understand.
          Keep an eye on Dan. Promise me you can. He gets out of hand if you let him…

Comment

I agree that in some of the shots she just looks overtanned / orange / ridiculous. But there are also plenty of times where she is clearly trying to look mixed race / black / racially ambiguous (call it what you will) with the dark skin tone, afro hair, thick lips, etc. The degree to which she actually succeeds at this is open to debate - and isn’t really the point IMO. There are however, people who have admitted that they genuinely thought she was black or mixed race.

Well, Nicki is no stranger to accusations of skin bleaching etc. But if you look at a photo of her pre-fame, you can see her natural ethnicity much more clearly. Similarly, look up Jesy pre-fame and she looks very different also.

I appreciate that you are referring to skin tone when you say that Nicki is not “full black”, but I think we have to be very careful here. Being black is so much more than just one skin tone. As far as I’m concerned, Nicki is black. Period.

The problem with blackfishing as I understand it, is that being black is about so much more than just a person’s skin tone. There are some really complex issues of identity, privilege and discrimination at play here. Some people will argue that blackfishing doesn’t exist. Others might suggest that accepting the term means there must also be an equivalent - for a moment, let’s call it “whitefishing”. The problem is that they are not equivalent and never can be. This is because of those complex social issues I mentioned: identity, privilege, discrimination etc. Racial prejudices have permeated through so many aspects of modern society such as education, healthcare, employment, justice etc. It’s about so much more than just skin tanning and / or bleaching.

I should probably say, I’m really not trying to call you out here, InFamous. I know you’re a decent guy. <3

This is such a complex topic, and this thread is probably not best the outlet for it. As a white male, I recognise the difficulty of my own privileges when I try to engage in this conversation, but nonetheless I do try really hard to listen and understand.
            I never claimed that Nicki Minaj is not a black woman for the love of God, I was clearly just referring to her skin, which it literally what I wrote, in response to your comment on skin colour and the fact of the matter is that Nicki is mixed race, and there is nothing wrong with saying that, no matter what you are concerned with. I also simply stated that to me, I would never think Jesy is black, and I wouldnt. To me she looks like a white woman with a bad perm, lip fillers and an orange tan. End of . I specifically did not go into any other element of this, because as you said, it is not the place for such a discussion and I certainly do not need to be called out on racial issues from you or anyone else, as I have supported that cause, long before it became a hashtag on twitter.

OT - the song is crap.
            Last edited by InFamous; Sat October 9, 2021, 01:14.

Comment

I never claimed that Nicki Minaj is not a black woman for the love of God, I was clearly just referring to her skin, which it literally what I wrote, in response to your comment on skin colour and the fact of the matter is that Nicki is mixed race, and there is nothing wrong with saying that, no matter what you are concerned with.
              Uh huh. And I literally acknowledged that when I prefaced my comment with “I appreciate that you are referring to skin tone…

I also simply stated that to me, I would never think Jesy is black, and I wouldnt. To me she looks like a white woman with a bad perm, lip fillers and an orange tan. End of.
              And I also recognised this point when I said “The degree to which she actually succeeds at this is open to debate”. But as you had quoted me with your opinion, I wanted to offer mine. That’s all.

I specifically did not go into any other element of this, because as you said, it is not the place for such a discussion and I certainly do not need to be called out on racial issues from you or anyone else, as I have supported that cause, long before it became a hashtag on twitter.
              I just said I’m not trying to call you out. I quoted you at the beginning because I wanted to address the points that you raised in response to me. I then went on to offer my own broader views not directed at you specifically. That’s why I even said I wasn’t trying to call you out! Perhaps I should have split my post into two parts, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Believe it or not, I actually spent a long time constructing that post specifically because I didn’t want to fall out with anyone or be confrontational. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on a difficult topic. Clearly I shouldn’t have bothered.

Comment

Uh huh. And I literally acknowledged that when I prefaced my comment with “I appreciate that you are referring to skin tone…

And I also recognised this point when I said “The degree to which she actually succeeds at this is open to debate”. But as you had quoted me with your opinion, I wanted to offer mine. That’s all.

I just said I’m not trying to call you out. I quoted you at the beginning because I wanted to address the points that you raised in response to me. I then went on to offer my own broader views not directed at you specifically. That’s why I even said I wasn’t trying to call you out! Perhaps I should have split my post into two parts, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Believe it or not, I actually spent a long time constructing that post specifically because I didn’t want to fall out with anyone or be confrontational. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on a difficult topic. Clearly I shouldn’t have bothered.
                And then went on to tell me that "being black is so much more than skin tone" as if I dont know that or If I was saying that Nicki was white or something. Come on now.
                Last edited by InFamous; Sat October 9, 2021, 01:25.

Comment

And then went on to tell me that "being black is so much more than skin tone" as if I dont know that or If I was saying that Nicki was white or something. Come on now.
                  I wasn’t telling you. I responded to you below the quotes, and then went on to develop my own thoughts on the topic. I literally just said above that in hindsight I should have split it into two posts so that this was clearer.

Anyway, I’m done with this now. It’s the second time in a month that I’ve found myself unwillingly engaged in confrontation with someone I genuinely really liked on here. Returning to the forums after my time away was definitely not a good decision for me.
                  Last edited by AceReject; Sat October 9, 2021, 01:38.

Comment

I wasn’t telling you. I responded to you below the quotes, and then went on to develop my own thoughts on the topic. I literally just said above that in hindsight I should have split it into two posts so that this was clearer.

Anyway, I’m done with this now. It’s the second time in a month that I’ve found myself unwillingly engaged in confrontation with someone I genuinely really liked on here. Returning to the forums after my time away was definitely not a good decision for me.
                    It wasn't a confrontation dear just a conversation.

Anyway it's fine no big deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by minime View Post
                      Interesting that Leigh-Anne liked this post https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUxBLWloACK
                      More of her family has liked and/or posted it
                      Last edited by IVyonc; Sat October 9, 2021, 03:44.

Comment

• Jesy answered some questions in an interview about the accusations of black fishing and it seems often her team have been deleting comments and blocking people to protect her and she seemed quite oblivious.

Her team then confirmed this when pushed further.

Anyway could this just be a topic in celebrity gossip?
                        Uk the only way

Comment

• Originally posted by muzik_biz_wiz View Post
                          Jesy answered some questions in an interview about the accusations of black fishing and it seems often her team have been deleting comments and blocking people to protect her and she seemed quite oblivious.

Her team then confirmed this when pushed further.

Anyway could this just be a topic in celebrity gossip?
                          This doesn't add up Because that family member of Leigh Anne says she has been made aware of it and been tried to be educated about it the last two years, which means even when she was in Little Mix

Comment

• Well I'm glad the others are finding this offensive and disrespectful in many ways...from blackfishing to portraying black men as 'Bad Boys' this is wrong in so many levels.

She needs to educate herself and reinvent her image pronto!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                              Living in Australia, in the summer, most people do their best to look as dark as possible, vis the sun or out of bottles, it has nothing to do with Black people it is the fact that to most people a tan looks a look nicer than being super White.l, I know after spending time there it is similar with a lot of Woman in the UK, it is part of their ongoing culture to tan themselves.

I hope Jesy finds happiness and ignores what people are saying, she looks great and is hurting no one, your culture is not the colour of your skin, if she feels comfortable with a dark tan good on her and if any Black woman wants to appear lighter good on them too.

Culture - The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society (no mention of skin colour).

There are millions of White Africans and there are millions of Black Europeans, should they look be able to celebrate the culture of countries they actually live in and not just have ancestors from 100s of years ago.

bringing up artists like “Raye” who hasn’t released an album due to her having very limited success, it is wrong and dangerous to put that into the colour of her skin but that seem to be the easiest thing to cling onto.

we all have differing opinions, let’s respect them and move on.
                              But you need to understand that it's not just her skin tone the issue here...literally everything it comes across as if she's black (image, hair, lips etc etc) and we know she's not black.

And wow at bolded part...basically you're asking to whitewash everything what happened to ancestors (in this case slavery) and just forget and pretend that nothing happened and celebrate!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nanda View Post

But you need to understand that it's not just her skin tone the issue here...literally everything it comes across as if she's black (image, hair, lips etc etc) and we know she's not black.

And wow at bolded part...basically you're asking to whitewash everything what happened to ancestors (in this case slavery) and just forget and pretend that nothing happened and celebrate!!!
                                I’d love to get into this more but this thread is about Jesy’s new song not Black Slavery. Everyone seems to wanna talk about this subject but nobody wants to open a topic???

Comment

• Some of the comments in this thread, my god, you'd think it's 1950 instead of 2021. Some people clearly need a lesson in racism, coloursim and sexism.. Ignorance is bliss right.

The song and video itself are just embarrassing, offensive and very very cliche. The Little Mix reference? Wow.. And it all seems very child-ish as well "look at me being cool", I know Jesy has been through a very tough time and actually hate to call her out online as the bullying she has had is disgusting, at the same time that shouldn't mean someone can do problematic stuff without being called out either.
                                  without any meaning, we're just skin and bones
                                  like beautiful robots dancing alone

Comment

• Originally posted by jason2379 View Post
                                    Whyyyy does it remind me of that Bad Babysitter song from 2002?
                                    Hahaha yes it does! It’s actually so hideously dated. And I really think she’s undermining her journey with this.

I told my partner about the blackfishing debate and they said “wait, isn’t she mixed race though?” Says it all really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Hahaha yes it does! It’s actually so hideously dated. And I really think she’s undermining her journey with this.

I told my partner about the blackfishing debate and they said “wait, isn’t she mixed race though?” Says it all really.
                                      With the whole “Mixed Race” debate, I actually thought she was mixed race when they won the show based on her appearance, not the colour of her skin.

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• That was yesterday. She went like that to Capital.
                                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• The shame. I thought it was rough when I saw a “fake taxi” the other day.
                                            1 Ministers De La Funk |2 James Morrison|3 Gryffin |4 Wet Leg |5 NOTD

Comment

• Well this whole project is full of choices isn’t it?

It’s so 2000 which I’m so here for (please can we have an early 2000s revival?), but I don’t know why she’s rapping the verses when she could have just sung them and still had the song work. The video I felt was like a bad mix of Dilemma, It Wasn’t Me and Let Me Blow Ya Mind, and a whole load of other early 2000s stuff - and I’m kinda living for it

I get all the black fishing comments. I think it’s absolutely fine to be inspired by black culture, she did grow up in London and was a kid when the UK charts became incredibly Americanised between 2001 and 2004 (when a lot of urban artists were gaining huge traction here).

If that’s what she likes and is inspired by then so be it, but there are ways to go about it without physically embodying it I guess. I mean, Cheryl from Girls Aloud is a big R&B fan but can you imagine her stepping out looking like Jesy does here? Or Adele? No, and maybe that’s what Jesy needs to take away from this.

Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• I think Cheryl was close to the mark at times. Cher Lloyd was certainly over it, but I guess a lot has changed in ten years with regards to what people accept as appropriate.
                                                1 Ministers De La Funk |2 James Morrison|3 Gryffin |4 Wet Leg |5 NOTD

Comment

• Yeah I think that’s the thing, loads of people have been there in the past, but this is 2021.

She debuted at #12 on Spotify UK with 244k streams, be interesting to see if she sustains, she’s down to #2 now on iTunes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
                                                    The shame. I thought it was rough when I saw a “fake taxi” the other day.

*thinking dirty thoughts not suitable for here*

Comment

Working...
                                                    X