SWV - Still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catching up with SWV

Their look was fresh, their songs were fly and millions of us came of age listening to Sisters With Voices, also known as SWV.

Thanks to hits like “I’m So Into You,” “Use Your Heart,” “Weak” and “Right Here,” Taj (Tamara Johnson), LeLee (Leann Lyons) and Coko (Cheryl Gamble) distinguished themselves among other R&B peers, such as En Vogue and TLC, selling millions of albums and moving crowds around the world.

But by the end of the ’90s, SWV fell apart: Finances, insecurities and ego-tripping ended their closeness and careers. An offer to perform overseas reconnected the trio in 2005, leading to their 2012 CD I Missed Us, which garnered a Grammy nomination, as well as SWV United, a reality show that ran for two seasons on WeTV.

It’s been a successful comeback, but when LeLee, Taj and Coko came to Dallas recently to promote their fifth album, Still, the ladies were candid about the struggles they share with us as wives, mothers and best friends.

It’s great to have SWV back in the mix. What helped your friendships heal?

LeLee: We understand each other now as women. We still get on each other’s nerves, but we understand and respect each other, and that’s important. We’re mothers, we have families, and they can piss us off, but —

Coko: I’ll be [mad] at home. I still have to do what I have to do [at work] and just figure it all out later on.

Speaking of families, Coko’s husband, Mike Clemons, is a professional drummer and Taj’s husband, Eddie George, moved from football to performing in Chicago. Is it hard to have two entertainers in one house?

Taj: Eddie was looking to fill that football void after he retired, and Broadway is where he landed. He’s up there doing his thing, and we [18-year old stepson Jaire and 12-year-old son Eriq] are all proud.

Coko: It can be a lot [to handle] with kids still in the house (20-year-old Jazz and 12-year-old Jaylen). He plays with us on stage sometimes, too. We’re busy, but we make it work.

What was it like recording your new music this time around?

Taj: We had to rush. We were in kind of a stalemate with the label trying to get all of the paperwork done in time to jump on the reality show wave [of publicity]. So working on Still, getting the single out [“Ain’t No Man”] ... it was a lot.

Speaking of SWV United, would you all ever like to do reality TV again?

Coko: I’m not saying I wouldn’t do another reality show one day, but it needs to show the good and the bad. We lost some fans because their seeing us [portrayed as] just going at each other made them feel like, “You guys aren’t what we thought you were,” and that wasn’t a cool thing.

What is it like having such vocal followers?

LeLee: Our fans feel like they know us and some can get too personal. Others go negative and tell us we’re too old, washed up. ... Some are even young kids! I tell ’em I could be their mother and they just need to sit down somewhere.

Coko: I posted a picture of my husband and I the other day, and this girl wrote, “He is SO fine.” I responded that I felt she was being disrespectful, and she says, “I just wanted to get your attention.” Well ... you got it.

You all have been a major inspiration to women who are 40-plus and changing their lives and careers. What gets you through it all?

Coko: Prayer helps.

Taj: You’ll be surprised at what you can do when you have no choice. You can decide to sit there in the midst of the storm or keep going. Life doesn’t stop because you want it to, you’ve got to get up.

LeLee: Going through it is half the battle, like when you’re working out in the gym, those muscles are burning and you push through 10 more reps. That’s how I look at life — when it’s hurting, keep going. I lived through that and can only tell you what I know.
    Dallas News

Comment

SWV Deserve More Credit for Being Sex Positive—Even Though They Might Have Been Sleeping With Your Man

The lesson for how to live your best life is buried in an SWV album deep cut.

On the track “Give It to Me” from the R&B trio’s first album, It’s About Time, Coko sings:

"I'm a type of girl with class But, you never know what you can get 'Till you go and ask for it I was shy, but now I finally see All you have to do is (just ask) For anything you want (It's yours) you get right to the point (If love) is what you really need, don't be shy Just say, ‘Boy give it to me...right now’”

This song is essentially about requesting dick without fear, but the verse can apply to any other obstacle one might face. I listen to this song regularly. The same goes for the rest of SWV’s catalog.

As the group celebrates the release of its latest album, Still, I increasingly think about how SWV don’t get their just due. The term “underrated” has been abused to death, but there are certain things about SWV that do often go unrecognized—namely how sex positive their music has been through the years.

TLC has always been praised for being socially aware and frank about sex in music, particularly in Left Eye making the promotion of condoms a central part of her look at the start of their career. Lil’ Kim and Foxy Brown have long been honored (and in some cases criticized) for their embracement of sexuality in their work. Even Adina Howard has a documentary that speaks to sexual liberation.

I salute them all, and you will never get me to speak ill of “T-Shirt and Panties,” but one of the best songs about oral sex, “Downtown,” came from SWV. This doesn’t even include its multiple remixes—the Wet Remix, the Jazzy Radio Mix, the Street Radio Mix—that each best the original. No one has ever been that convincing about the consumption of vagina in song. Give these women the respect they deserve.

So much of the songs from their debut album were tied to women being in control of their sexuality i.e. “Anything,” “It’s About Time,” and "Blak Pudd'n." Already, I’m sure some would greet this claim with noting that most of these songs were penned by their main collaborator at the time, Brian Alexander Morgan. That hasn’t stopped other women from getting credit for work that might’ve been penned by men, though. This includes the aforementioned artists in addition to groups like Salt-N-Pepa, who didn’t pen a lot of their classic songs that are strong and urgent in their sexual agency.

Nevertheless, even after Morgan stopped working with the group, two of the members—Coko and Taj—started writing their own lyrics and the tone didn’t change. If anything, they were even more aggressive in their songs going forward.

Look no further than one of my favorite songs from the group, “You’re the One,” which is now 20 years old and one of the finest contributions to a sub genre of the R&B tradition: f**king your man music.

Even if sung sweetly, this song starts off with, “I know that you’re somebody else’s guy, but these feelings that I have for you I can’t deny.” Coko goes on to explain, “What your girl don’t know won’t hurt her. Anything that make this love go further.” And my favorite: “So what’s my chance? I’m willing to do anything to get in your pants.

In 2014, during an interview with The Breakfast Club, Angela Yee noted how “foul that song really is.” Coko’s response was, “It’s life, though.” She went on to say that their attitude at the time was, “If the guys could sing it, we could sing it, too.”

And while the group tends to always bash their third album, Release Some Tension, I think it’s one of the best R&B albums from that period. It, too, was quite sexual in its subject matter. The Missy Elliott-penned “Can We,” the Foxy Brown-featuring title track, and “Come and Get Some,” which randomly features E-40. Meanwhile, if you really take a second to soak in the lyrics of their hit “Rain,” you can’t help but catch the raunchy innuendo (compliment).

I’m not sure why this facet of SWV doesn’t resonate with more people. Perhaps it’s partially due to their third album not performing as well as the previous two and the group quickly breaking up long after. Maybe it’s because even when they did get back together, Coko, who became a gospel artist after her solo R&B album underperformed, would refuse to sing songs like “Downtown” until very recently. Or maybe because more often than not, when they were singing about sex, they were screwing someone’s man (maybe yours).

Whatever it is, it’s a wrong that should be righted. They came. They saw. They smashed and sung—and sing—gorgeously about it. Time and time again. Can we please thank them more for it?
      Complex

Comment

- 32 SWV
        STILL...
        EONE 7,746 --

Comment

80 New 1 Still - SWV - Mass Appeal | eOne

Comment

Downloading this! Will listen to it shortly!

Comment

I love this album. it's simple but I think it's much better than I Missed Us. The sales are so bad but I hope they snag a Best R&B Album nod.

Comment

I really love Stiill! I love the piano riff and how it references "So Into You"

On Tonight and What We Gon do are nice. The rest I'm a bit indifferent to.

Comment

This really sounds so good, it's like a throwback to their 1990s sound.

Comment

Their next single is On Tonight

Comment

They should promote more, the album hasn't even sold 40K yet. :-? :-?

Comment

I have ordered it should be coming this week
                        jio CHARTS NOW:30/3/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10369614

Comment

Nice to have Leelee in the middle. I'm loving the album a lot, definitely better than I Missed Us.

Comment

Originally posted by minime
                            Nice to have Leelee in the middle. I'm loving the album a lot, definitely better than I Missed Us.
                            I agree! It's so fresh sounding!

Comment

I definitely enjoyed this album.

Comment

Third single!!!
                                When will your fave?

Comment

So I just received my cd and listening to it for the first time. Here are my thoughts:

1) Still: This aims to appeal straight to the memories of older fans. With melody parts lifted straight from "I'm So Into You" and "Right Here" is quite a good song. Feels like 1992 all over again 9/10
                                  2) Man Crush Everyday: OK I knew this one from before and I love it. It's very classic SWV ballad but it works in a very R&B way. I missed this type of R&B ballads 10/10
                                  3) On Tonight: More of an 80s soul/disco feel here than classic SWV. It's still a great track though and to answer to intosoul's question this has the word "single" written all over it. 10/10
                                  4) Let's Make Music: Another ballad and although this feels a bit like a filler, it's still quite good. It could have been an album track in "It's About Time" and it wouldn't sound out of place at all 8/10
                                  5) Ain't No Man: The first single and I always felt that this sounds more En Vogue (another group which should make a come back) than SWV which is not a bad thing, although I have to say it was a bad choice for first single. I think all songs so far are better than this one. But definitely not a bad song. 7/10
                                  6) Love Song: Another ballad/mid-tempo. This one lifts a line from Amy's "Rehab" but other than that sounds like a weaker version of all the midtempo songs above. The rap doesn't improve it either. Definitely filler 5/10
                                  7) When Love Didn't Hurt: Classic 70's style soul ballad here and it's pretty good. Love it 8/10
                                  8) Miss You: This is definitely filler. Even the title is lazy. 2/10
                                  9) Leaving You Alone: Yet another ballad, this one is better than the one before. I like it 7/10
                                  10) What We Gon Do: The closing song doesn't offer any surprises. It's essentially another variation on the SWV type of ballads. Feels like another filler 3/10

-All in all this is a solid album. Is it better than "I Missed Us"? Definitely not. That album managed to keep the SWV essence while introducing just the right amount of updating to their sound. This is more of a straightforward 90's R&B album without the club bangers. Essentially all of the songs except "On Tonight" are ballads which means that for sure they were not expecting respectable sales. That doesn't take away from the fact that this is a good album though.

btw the deluxe edition of "It's About Time" is coming out later this month and I'm definitely buying it (although this will mark the 4th time I buy some version of that album in my life lol)

Comment

I really like this album.

Comment

So I just ordered the "It's About Time" deluxe but I couldn't resist the temptation and also ordered the deluxe version of Toni Braxton's debut (which I never purchased in any version, hopefully it's good) plus an extended version of the System's "Sweat" album which includes all hit singles from their other albums as well. I am on a buying spree

Comment

Still listening to this album.

Comment

"When Love Didn't Hurt" is amazing! They should release something as traditional R&B as this in the future. A cover album of 1960s and 1970s will do, their voices are divine!

Originally posted by jio
                                          So I just ordered the "It's About Time" deluxe but I couldn't resist the temptation and also ordered the deluxe version of Toni Braxton's debut (which I never purchased in any version, hopefully it's good) plus an extended version of the System's "Sweat" album which includes all hit singles from their other albums as well. I am on a buying spree
                                          I didn't know that they released a deluxe of their debut recently. :-? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack
                                            their voices are divine!
                                            Coko's voice is divine!
                                            The other two can do the background and harmonies. Their last albums would have been so much better if Coko did all the leads.

Comment

Originally posted by intosoul
                                              their voices are divine!
                                              Coko's voice is divine!
                                              The other two can do the background and harmonies. Their last albums would have been so much better if Coko did all the leads.
                                              I thought Lele's voice is pretty decent. Taj shouldn't ever do solos.
                                              Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1
                                                Originally posted by intosoul
                                                their voices are divine!
                                                Coko's voice is divine!
                                                I thought Lele's voice is pretty decent. Taj shouldn't ever do solos.
                                                "Decent" is not good enough for me.
                                                They should try to sell albums instead of letting everyone sing lead.

Comment

Girl I guess. Them "selling" albums doens't have anything to do with who is lead or not (which was only on like 3 songs on the album...and this album only). They'll have to be on a full out label...They've been independent for the last two.

I just hate that their reality show ended when they actually were putting out an lbum.
                                                  Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1
                                                    Girl I guess. Them "selling" albums doens't have anything to do with who is lead or not (which was only on like 3 songs on the album...and this album only). They'll have to be on a full out label...They've been independent for the last two.

I just hate that their reality show ended when they actually were putting out an lbum.
                                                    They would stand out more and sell more if they made better music = let Coko sing lead

Comment

Working...
                                                    X