Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lil Nas X - Old Town Road (I Got The Horses In The Back)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not understand the popularity of this song at all, I feel so out of touch. It doesn't really have any notable qualities to me. As for the genre, it's a massive stretch to consider this a country song, it doesn't sound at all like a country song. The only thing that is country-esque is the lyrics and lyrics do not define the genre in most circumstances.

Also, if he's a former twitter stan barb, does that mean a black gay man is #1 worldwide? Or am I making assumptions?
    Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

Originally posted by JimJim View Post
      I do not understand the popularity of this song at all, I feel so out of touch. It doesn't really have any notable qualities to me. As for the genre, it's a massive stretch to consider this a country song, it doesn't sound at all like a country song. The only thing that is country-esque is the lyrics and lyrics do not define the genre in most circumstances.

Also, if he's a former twitter stan barb, does that mean a black gay man is #1 worldwide? Or am I making assumptions?
      I just regard it as a novelty song. It just happens to be by a black rapper from America rather than the usual suspects across europe. I still think what Lil Nas X achieved with this song is really clever.

Ohh i didn't realise he is gay. Is that actually true? Even more kudos to him if so.

I do agree with your point that this is an urban track that just happens to be influenced by country music. Although since Billy Ray Cyrus got on board (another genius move considering the farce with Billboard) perhaps this confirms its status as a country song.

Comment

Regarding that argument, 'This Is What You Came For' surely is an R&B song and 'Girls Like You' hip hop, right ;) ? As much as genres are fluid, it would be a disgrace to proper and talented country musicians working in favor of their genre's reputation to even relate this song to country music. I could live with the branding 'trap/hip hop with stereotypically country music lyrics' ;) .
        When the bones are good, the rest don't matter
        Yeah, the paint could peel, the glass could shatter
        (Maren Morris)

Comment

Comment

The music video will be released next week, Y'all ready for Mariah's and Despacito's record to be broken?
            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

So this is still a thing? Impressive considering I thought that it was the kind of novelty hit that vanishes after a week or two, 'Harlem Shake' style. Is it the same people listening to it again and again or are there people only starting to pick it up now?
              (Maren Morris)

Comment

I think it has legs. My sisters and cousins cant stop singing it.

It is catchy tbh.

Comment

It's short and catchy, perfect for streaming. If Taylor and Ed & Justin couldn't dethrone this, i don't think anyone could in near future.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Number 1 for the sixth straight week on the Hot 100. Also, some stats:

Comment

This better not come for One Sweet Day or well have to END IT

Comment

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                        This better not come for One Sweet Day or we’ll have to END IT
                        *and Despacito

Comment

This is the song that could break the record. It's still growing in airplay, doing fantastic on streaming and the video is yet to be released. He also blocked Post Malone, Taylor, Shawn, Ed & Justin from hitting #1. I can see this topping the chart at least 10 more weeks unless Adele releases something.
                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

To be honest, the acts you mentioned are already the biggest acts you can have in terms of chart impact in the US at the moment. So if they are unable to outsell 'Old Town Road', I'm not sure whether Adele could - as big as her last two eras have been. The song's domination of all relevant formats in the US is striking; what I have yet to find out is what makes this song so incredibly popular even outside of the Anglophone world - especially considering its unusually short length.
                            (Maren Morris)

Comment

Comment

Love that they actually took some time and did such a great video. Love it!

Comment

Great vid
                                  aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Lol I like the video

Hes kinda cute but also a bit of a weirdo
                                    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

Video of the year? Maybe not, but i loved it from beginning to end. <3

Comment

Brilliant video.

I want this Nicki Minaj stan to break the record of OSD and Despacito.
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

love the video!
                                          Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Nice video, with many cameos.
                                            I love Chris Rock
                                            I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                            I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Oh my goodness, this just destroyed potential #1 debuts from Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, as well as a combined force of Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber.

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack View Post
                                                Oh my goodness, this just destroyed potential #1 debuts from Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, as well as a combined force of Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber.

Yup, it's official:

Comment

Incredible. I mean, especially blocking Taylor and Ed & Justin is insane!

Comment

Tomorrow, this will hit #1 on the urban radio chart and that means black music will officially be completely dead and buried. I at least can take solace in that it’s the solo version getting 99% of the spins.
                                                    Originally posted by beredy
                                                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                                      Tomorrow, this will hit #1 on the urban radio chart and that means black music will officially be completely dead and buried. I at least can take solace in that it’s the solo version getting 99% of the spins.
                                                      I just hope they don't bury and crucify him the way they always do to artists who cannot match the intensity and hit factor of this song. I mean, if someone like Nicki Minaj who dominated for seven years got erased from relevance after being dominated by a new female rapper who was barely out for a year, I hope good things are in store for Lil Nas X regardless of which genre audience is playing his songs. He seems really nice.

Comment

Fun fact: Lil Nas X was an ATRL'er and Nicki Minaj stan

He's trying to bury that info though
                                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

^Imagine if one of us UKMIXers become a celebrity in the future. Our old posts here will forever haunt our career when they get exposed.

Comment

Being a Nicki fan kinda gives him a bit more character though
                                                            Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                              Fun fact: Lil Nas X was an ATRL'er and Nicki Minaj stan

He's trying to bury that info though
                                                              Ive heard that, any screenshots of his posts though? Im curious
                                                              Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

Working...
                                                              X