Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's over.

Comment

Before the lyric video, I thought she was saying glad, but I guess she means GLAAD, which is kind of a nice Pride shout-out.

Anyhow, whatever people. I like it.

Comment

This is "better" than ME!, but far from what she has done before. What happened, Taylor??

It seems this era will go nowhere for me.
        KYLIE MINOGUE

Comment

What a pretty average song. Me is much better.
          Has the hit maker lost her touch?

Comment

It's much better than the Hella annoying ME! Having said that, it's quite average. I'm starting to think that she lost her modjo somewhere between 1989 and reputation.

Comment

Omg. This is so weak. Her weakest single ever. And "ME!" Was a let down. She's really pulling a Witness lol and Katy is pulling a Reputation (since she's not back in full form yet though).
              Why Taytay :(

Comment

In her latest decree as pop’s current Glinda the Good Witch, Taylor Swift has told an unnamed group of online haters to “calm down.” If that seems like an unhelpful appeal in the midst of everything ****ed up about social media, it is. But since she took off her Reputation villain costume, Swift is all about spreading self-love, touting the joys of spelling and showering in rainbow sludge. In the Lover album era, she would release an anti-bullying ally anthem so positive it’s almost unnerving.

At its core, “You Need to Calm Down” is well-intentioned. Like, yes, of course it’s good to take the high road, kill them with kindness, and other clichés that moms like to tell tweens. But Swift aggressively avoids anything more nuanced, adopting internet speak to fight internet haters. “You’re taking shots at me like it’s Patrón,” she says with all the flair of someone who just listened to a rap song for the first time. In an effort to “brush off the haters” and display resilience, she doesn’t reveal any of the uncertainty and vulnerability that previously lay at the heart of her songwriting. Instead, the words are penned with the energy of a nail-painting emoji and delivered with a plastic smile.

Swift dedicates the second half of the song to prove her allyship to the gay community, which again, deserves some props. But her way of showing alliance is confounding: “Why be mad, when you can be GLAAD,” she sings, upping the LGBTQ-centering media organization, but also parroting a literal Tupperware slogan. And when she says “shade never made anyone less gay,” she adopts slang with queer black origins in an attempt to create a mic-drop moment, but ends up sounding like another corporation proving they’re “down for the cause” during Pride Month. All of this, coupled with a hook that’s mostly vowels, makes for a song that’s somehow bewildering and underwhelming at the same time. “You Need to Calm Down” is like one of those fancy unicorn cupcakes, an impossibly cute confection designed to distract you from the fact that it’s a mediocre dessert. I cannot think of something I would rather buy into less.
                The sheer accuracy of this Pitchfork review
                late.

Comment

Spot On. I think one of the problems this era is that she mainly focused on having a clear cut to the "dark" reputation that she ultimately didn't notice what kind of childish way she is taking and went too far. Everyone in her team was probably too afraid to tell her sadly
                  aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

^ Yep. The contrast between this era and reputations is so big it's disturbing.

Comment

It's pretty obvious, she tried to pull her "rebellious" and "Darker" and "I'm not sweet anymore" era when she started the "Reputation" campaign, with the imagery, her outfits, looks, visuals, look at the music video of "Look What you Made Me Do", the way she was dressing around the time, the embracing the snake thing, the album cover, etc. . . . She even tried to play "badass" on "End Game" . . . it was clear her plan was to spice up her image but as soon she and her team realized the era (despite successful) was not having the same succes of her previous ones they probably panicked and completely gave up on that concept going back to old Taylor with the music video for "Delicate".

Seems like they were so affraid after the failed darker image change attempt during "Reputation" that they went back to sweet, teenage, childish, bubbly, same old Taylor and they were so paranoid that they didn't notice they took it to the extreme even turning childish. Now everything is corny-looking, glittery, girly, child-friendly, pink, rainbows and kindergarden paradise.
                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Idk what y'all are on about, I find this cute. She's obviously not at the creative peak she had during 1989, but this is catchy and breezy. Suits her better than the faux-dark image she had during her last era.

That said, she REALLY needs to step up her game if she wants to keep up, no one's here for this. She needs to put out something mature and powerful, not this. I think this new era, while devised as a return to form, will just continue her slow but steady downward spiral.
                        last.fm

Comment

I really don't get some of you. This is pure pop. It's brilliant
                          Love you like a love song!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                            Idk what y'all are on about, I find this cute. She's obviously not at the creative peak she had during 1989, but this is catchy and breezy. Suits her better than the faux-dark image she had during her last era.
                            I'm now revising my opinion that you have a taste.
                            I have received many gifts from God,
                            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                              I'm now revising my opinion that you have a taste.
                              I have received many gifts from God,
                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

It’s forgettable and so lazy. She needs Max Martin to bring her the very best of pop once more.
                                Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Comment

Sorry but Katy's "Never Really Over" >>>>>>>>>>>>this>>>ME!
                                  Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

Originally posted by hellohello View Post
                                    Sorry but Katy's "Never Really Over" >>>>>>>>>>>>this>>>ME!
                                    Y’all are calling this a kindergarden song but then you say a Katy Perry song is better? KATY PERRY? Aka the Queen of kindergarden songs?
                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

I'm wondering why she decided to go with Joel Little and left the Max Martin and his hitmakers friend team back...

Comment

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                        Y’all are calling this a kindergarden song but then you say a Katy Perry song is better? KATY PERRY? Aka the Queen of kindergarden songs?
                                        Yea but Katy has done a Kindergarden song that is actually good.

It’s great seeing Taylor do Pure Pop but this is just trash. Like the chorus is just dire
                                        You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Her kindergarten songs were at least catchy and had a charm, if anything her most bubblegum cheesy pop album (Teenage Dream) has been compared to Taylor's 1989.

Taylor can make good music but wth is this from Fearless, Speak Now, to Red to 1989 and even reputation...now this? this is a basic mess. Can it be catchy? Sure maybe, but it's a decline in quality overall, especially in songwriting...which is weird because I actually think she has been a genius in the past with it.
                                          Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

The BeyHive being the most problematic fandom pt. 36642883. They can't stop omg. Why are they so insecure?
                                            Last edited by JeremySpears; Sat June 15th, 2019, 17:03.
                                            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

The BeyHive being the most problematic fandom pt. 36642883. They can't stop omg. Why are they so insecure?
                                              Maybe it's a good time to stop generalizing, there are enough Taylor fans on social media in the same vein, same for Little Monsters, Katy Cats, Army members etc.

Comment

I kinda dig this.
                                                Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Easily her worst lead single. WTF was she thinking? I'm only listening to it because it's Taylor and hope the video is good enough to make me like it more.
                                                  You ain't gotta break down,
                                                  YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

This has groove, its a little less cheesetastic than ME, although I can see the comparison to Gorgeous musically.
                                                    UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Originally posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
                                                      I kinda dig this.
                                                      sis
                                                      Forever Young

Comment

Comment

"Lift up your head
                                                          Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

This video will be interesting. The song is harmless but this cameo filled video for sure will make it appear everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
                                                              This video will be interesting. The song is harmless but this cameo filled video for sure will make it appear everywhere
                                                              A calculated mess.
                                                              What she gotta do with Billy Porter?

Between this and a supposed Katy Perry duet it's clear she getting desperate.
                                                              "Lift up your head
                                                              Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

Working...
                                                              X