Nena - 99 Luftballons / 99 Red Balloons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nena - 99 Luftballons / 99 Red Balloons

The fact that the original German version of this track, 99 Luftballons, topped the charts in both Australia and New Zealand, and reached #2 in the Billboard Hot 100, wasn't enough to reassure British record executives - meaning that when released in the UK (and consequently also Ireland) it had been translated into English as 99 Red Balloons - and it promptly made Number 1 in both Ireland and the UK.

And it was one of my favourite tracks from 1984, a FANTASTIC year for music!!!

I know this because of GTA: Vice City. This "Sunglasses At Night" and "Poison Arrow" were frequently on my car stereo as I went on various rampages.

Comment

Classic but her armpits! OMG!
      Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (28th March 20) - Little Mix, Wolfclub, Blanche, TBM, NIN, Spray, Baxter Dury, Adamski, Weeknd, Gambino, SRC

Comment

Classic. Love this a lot.

Comment

Randomly, I was in a German lecture a few weeks ago and the lecturer, being the most flamboyant creature on earth, picked out the most "meaningful" songs upon it's history and this was one of them to come up.

A great song, though!
          LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD

Comment

One of those "what do they hear in it" cases for me.

And if that wasn't enough, you have those aforementioned armpits to scar your childhood. Eugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Grybop
              I'm waiting for the day when we both agree on a classic song

Comment

Re: Nena - 99 Luftballons / 99 Red Balloons

Originally posted by irishguy28
                The fact that the original German version of this track, 99 Luftballons, topped the charts in both Australia and New Zealand, and reached #2 in the Billboard Hot 100, wasn't enough to reassure British record executives - meaning that when released in the UK (and consequently also Ireland) it had been translated into English as 99 Red Balloons - and it promptly made Number 1 in both Ireland and the UK.

And it was one of my favourite tracks from 1984, a FANTASTIC year for music!!!
                I agree entirely about the year 1984.......although I have this one listed as my number 56 of 1983.

Checking back just now, it's surprising that it was indeed a whole year after its original release that the English version topped the UK and Ireland charts!

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but as far as Western Europe is concerned - France may have been the only other country apart from the UK and Ireland to get "99 Red Balloons" instead.

I don't think it was just because I heard it in German first - but I much preferred this over the English translation. And I could say the same about some of her other tracks, most of which unfortunately weren't even released in the UK at all!

Counting down this week - the UKMixParade Top 200 of 2019

Comment

I loved this song. Such an amazing easy-going song. Everytime i hear it, it doesnt feel that this song would be so old. Who could have thought this sweet sounding song could have such a deep hard-core political meaning!

Comment

An excellent song. One of the best the 80's had to offer!

I've always preferred the German version, for some reason, I felt a song like this sounds best in German. The English version only helped me understand what it's about though
                    Freaky Fly Bry's Top 100

M4B Charts Central

Comment

I watched Watchmen for the second time yesterday. This song being used seemed cliche to me. When I was in India though, my friend and I were on a road trip and this played on the radio. It was like WOAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Grybop
                        Yeah, gotta agree with you on this...totally overrated song

Comment

This is in Watchmen- the Luftballoons version- and is back in the top 200!
                          Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (28th March 20) - Little Mix, Wolfclub, Blanche, TBM, NIN, Spray, Baxter Dury, Adamski, Weeknd, Gambino, SRC

Comment

Yes, that's what put me in mind of it, hearing it in Watchmen, and ryan noted that earlier.

Only Top 200? Should be higher!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
                              Yes, that's what put me in mind of it, hearing it in Watchmen, and ryan noted that earlier.

Only Top 200? Should be higher!!!!
                              Well, we never got the German version, so it's nice to see it recognised at all!

Comment

I really don't know what to think of this song. I don't dislike it but it's kind of cheesy.
                                Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Bizzarely, this came on in a nightclub last night.

Its something I havent listened to in a long time, but its awoken again in me now. It can only be described, IMO, as one of the greatest songs of all time.

Comment

This song actually reminds me a bit of 'Everybody's Gone To War' by Nerina Pallot, with the political messages etc.

Comment

An early 1984 classic!

The English version of the video:

[youtube:1sx35jyl]wirRZsAvJGQ[/youtube:1sx35jyl]

#1 in the UK
                                      #2 on the Hot 100

Comment

Re: Nena - 99 Luftballons / 99 Red Balloons

I love it. Especially the German version.
                                        My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Good one.
                                          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Mods, please move this to the 80s forum. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                            X