Black Box - Ride On Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Box - Ride On Time

The biggest selling single of 1989 in the UK, it spent 6 weeks at Number 1, earning a platinum disc and keeping Jason Donovan, Richard Marx and Technotronic feat. Felly off the top in the process. It was the subject of litigation as the Dan Hartman/Loleatta Holloway samples hadn't been cleared - Katrin Quinol who fronted the group didn't sing a note on any of the tracks - so deConstruction had to draft in a little-known session singer called Heather Small to record the vocals for a new pressing of the record.

Its success caught everyone by surprise - including deConstruction, at the time a tiny independent label, who had not commissioned a video, this UK TV performance serving as the video on the ITV chart show, while the BBC ran with any of their several TOTP appearances (note the changed Heather Small vocals on this version).

When the single was released in the US in 1990, it was accompanied by a slick new video.

It's back in the UK charts this week!

192. (--) Ride on Time - Black Box

Re: Black Box - Ride on Time

Originally posted by irishguy28
    so deConstruction had to draft in a little-known session singer called Heather Small to record the vocals for a new pressing of the record.
    Really?! I've never heard her version!

Surprised this doesn't have a thread, utterly amazing song that still does the rounds and is loved today - everyone seems to know it, I always think of it as the first huge dance hit that started it all off.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
      Really?! I've never heard her version!
      You have! The last 2 clips I linked above are her version. DeConstruction was served with an injunction preventing them from selling the infringing version - so they got Heather Small into the studio double-quick to record vocals for all further pressings sold in the UK while litigation was ongoing.

The A&R guy at DeConstruction was a certain Mike Pickering - and Heather was the vocalist with a group called HotHouse who were signed to the label at the time. They would go on to conquer the charts together as M People.

These days, though, you're likely only to hear the "original" as the case was settled.

Surprised this doesn't have a thread, utterly amazing song that still does the rounds and is loved today - everyone seems to know it, I always think of it as the first huge dance hit that started it all off.
      I know - I did search! You started a thread for the follow up (I Don't Know Anybody Else) and I started one for the recent re-release of Everybody Everybody.

I love "Ride on Time" and it still sounds surprisingly good! A true, enduring classic. LOVE IT!

Comment

Timeless classic, without question.

It might not be a bad idea to spring up threads for classics. Lord knows this place needs more activity...
        Stand wipers unite!

Comment

I'd actually not clicked the links before I wrote that! Have listened now and I really don't think I've ever heard her version before, not consciously anyway! She does a bloody good job Queen Hev to be fair, but her "time"s aren't as good as Loleatta's, that's where you can spot the most difference IMO, but apart from that it's near identical!

I doubt she was proud they were using that skinny model instead of her though. I love the way she dances to the song in the video and performances, great energy.

Comment

I think the biggest give away is the way she pronounces "such" - You're such a hot temptation....

Comment

True and the end of the "HOT temptat-ionnnnn" you can easily recognise it's Heather.

Comment

I didn't know she was on it either! It's back in because of a "90's Floorfillers" compilation, released last week, N-Trance, Technotronic and scores of others charted on iTunes top 1000 (though of course neither this nor Pump Up The Jam are technically 90's but i dare say they filled floors then!).
                Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (22nd Feb 20) - Xymox, Purity Ring, Selena, Blancmange, Sparks, Angelic Process, SDH, Tennis

Comment

That "skinny model" did sing on their other hits, didn't she?
                  Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (22nd Feb 20) - Xymox, Purity Ring, Selena, Blancmange, Sparks, Angelic Process, SDH, Tennis

Comment

^^ From what irishguy said, I understand she didn't.
                    You started a thread for the follow up (I Don't Know Anybody Else)
                    I was sorting my 45s earlier and bumped into this - and now this thread!

Heather Small sounds remarkably good and similar to Loleatta!

Comment

^ Yeah she sounds very similar. Much closer than any other attempt i've heard by singers trying to copy Loleatta's vocals. Classic song by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini
                        That "skinny model" did sing on their other hits, didn't she?
                        No - certainly not on the Dreamland album, at any rate. Martha Wash (of Two Tons o' Fun, aka The Weather Girls) was recruited after the success of that first single, and her distinctive vocals can be heard on the subsequent singles, starting with I Don't Know Anybody Else

Katrin never sang. Interestingly, Technotronic's debut hit "Pump Up The Jam" was kept from the #1 spot in the UK by "Ride On Time". That act was fronted by the blue-lipped model Felly, who like Quinol, was merely hired to front the project, though Felly was quickly ditched when the parents of the real singer (Ya Kid K) relented after the huge success of the track and allowed their daughter to do publicity.

Comment

I heard about Wash but i also saw them claim that Quinol did sing on some songs. How terrible that the "fattist" industry denied her the credit. She was also on C and C Music Factory's Gonna Make You Sweat. She sued these acts and forced singers to get their proper recognition.

Comment

At least Todd Terry let her and Jocelyn Brown show themselves!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GakjLsb7ls

I bet they spent their stage budget on reinforcing it!

Comment

Really interesting story behind the vocals/sample - I had literally NO idea about Heather Small singing a version!

Anyway, great song though - I always think of it as being early 90's but forget it was very late 90's. Takes me right back...a true dance classic
                              Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

I bet they spent their stage budget on reinforcing it!

Comment

Never knew Heather Small was involved in this!! Makes all us Heather fans so PROUD!! (sorry couldn't resist)

This is one of the greatest songs of the 80'a. still sounds great today
                                  RIP The Queen Of Disco

Comment

Technotronic's debut hit "Pump Up The Jam" was kept from the #1 spot in the UK by "Ride On Time". That act was fronted by the blue-lipped model Felly, who like Quinol, was merely hired to front the project, though Felly was quickly ditched when the parents of the real singer (Ya Kid K) relented after the huge success of the track and allowed their daughter to do publicity.
                                    I never knew Ya Kid K did the vocals on "Pump Up The Jam"

I also looked up Ya Kid K on Wikipedia and it says that she married MC Eric (the guy who did vocals on "This Beat Is Technotronic"). I never knew that either. Apparently she also appears on a Lady Sovereign album track - "can be clearly heard growling at the opening of the song"

I have learnt lots from this topic already - I also never knew Heather Small provided vocals to a version of "Ride On Time". When you know it's her, the vocals are quite distinctive.
                                    Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

Don't you just love the internet?

I did a bit more digging, and I found the only documented appearance of Katrin Quinol's vocals on record, from a single released in Italy in 1995.

Her voice isn't as bad as I'd feared/expected...but I think you'll see why she never sang for Black Box.

Back In A Box feat. Katrin - Feel You

Comment

This topic is really interesting I've not seen it before, or heard this Heather version but her vocals are great on it!
                                        1 Harry Styles|2 Dua Lipa |3 Doja Cat |4 Elodie|5 Lizzo |

Comment

[youtube:2y3cj3ar]z9leKftl34Q[/youtube:2y3cj3ar]

It did not chart on the Hot 100!

Comment

Here's my Black Box recap:

You Love The 90's Dance Era?
                                            http://www.1.fm/station/partyzone90s

Comment

They released a 30th anniversary Disco remix this year

1 Harry Styles|2 Dua Lipa |3 Doja Cat |4 Elodie|5 Lizzo |

Comment

wow I only knew of the American version hahah surprised to know this was actually from the 80s and not a 90s song ; that 70s disco remix is great too, I could totally feel that vibe

and what a fun energetic song it was (still is) !

Comment

Originally posted by ;2325331
                                                  The biggest selling single of 1989 in the UK, it spent 6 weeks at Number 1, earning a platinum disc and keeping Jason Donovan, Richard Marx and Technotronic feat. Felly off the top in the process. It was the subject of litigation as the Dan Hartman/Loleatta Holloway samples hadn't been cleared - Katrin Quinol who fronted the group didn't sing a note on any of the tracks - so deConstruction had to draft in a little-known session singer called Heather Small to record the vocals for a new pressing of the record.

Its success caught everyone by surprise - including deConstruction, at the time a tiny independent label, who had not commissioned a video, this UK TV performance serving as the video on the ITV chart show, while the BBC ran with any of their several TOTP appearances (note the changed Heather Small vocals on this version).

When the single was released in the US in 1990, it was accompanied by a slick new video.

It's back in the UK charts this week!

192. (--) Ride on Time - Black Box

btw all 3 vids blocked on copyright grounds and the samples vid deleted bc the account was deleted

Comment

Working...
                                                  X