Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas is the first Christmas album, and the fourth studio album, by American singer and songwriter Mariah Carey. Released by Columbia Records on November 1, 1994, the album features cover versions of popular Christmas tunes and original material. Carey worked with Walter Afanasieff, with whom she wrote all of the original tracks, as well as producing Carey's interpretations of the covered material. The album contains a contemporary holiday theme, and featured "authentic, gospel flavored background vocals". Three singles were released from the album, of which "All I Want for Christmas Is You" went on to become one of the best-selling singles of all time.

Merry Christmas was released at the peak of the initial stretch of Carey's career, between Music Box (1993) and Daydream (1995). The album produced "All I Want for Christmas Is You", which became the best-selling holiday ringtone in the US. The album has sold 5,500,000 copies in the United States as of December 2015 according to Nielsen SoundScan, and has been certified five-times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for shipment of five million copies in the United States.

Track listing
    1. "Silent Night" 3:41
    2. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" 4:01
    3. "O Holy Night" 4:27
    4. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" 2:35
    5. "Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)" 4:32
    6. "Joy to the World" 4:20
    7. "Jesus Born on This Day" 3:43
    8. "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" 3:24
    9. "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing"/"Gloria in Excelsis Deo" 3:01
    10. "Jesus Oh What a Wonderful Child" 4:26
    11. "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" 1:18

HOW COME an album of this magnitude goes so unnoticed here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's put up our Christmas trees come November and spin this til the CD goes scratched!!
    You ain't gotta break down,
    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

The only X-Mas album I own.
      Greatest Of All Time

Comment

Miss You Most & O Holy Night ... This lady had the 90s on lock

Comment

"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" is probably the second most popular song on this album and rightfully so!!
          YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

My fave xmas album along with its sequel.

Comment

The best Christmas album of all time.

Comment

O Holy Night is one of the best vocal performances of all time surely?

I remember hearing that song in 2008 for the first time ever when I was working in retail and I physically stopped what I was doing in the aisle due to the vocals.

Comment

Originally posted by ludichris
                  O Holy Night is one of the best vocal performances of all time surely?

I remember hearing that song in 2008 for the first time ever when I was working in retail and I physically stopped what I was doing in the aisle due to the vocals.
                  Id say so. I listen to it more times year round than all her other Xmas songs put together just because I get chills every time.
                  funny how one can learn
                  to grow numb to the madness
                  and block it away

Comment

Yeah her rendition of OHN is amazing... the best

Comment

It is. And "Silent Night" is so AMAZING on her voice!
                      YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

This should be re-issued with a DVD of all the Christmas videos!

Comment

Re: Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas

Easily the BEST Christmas album of ALL TIMES.
                          YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

I am currently on my first full listen of this album. It is nice, but I can't see me playing much apart from AIWFCIY in future years. But hey I bought it!

Edit: Hark the herald Angel's sing is everything!
                            Music is the blood in my veins

Feel free to add me to your friends list :-)

Comment

I am so glad that "All I Want for Christmas Is You" had the right balance of vocals from her. She could have pulled off a very difficult vocal for the song but it would have ruined the spirit of the song. What makes it enjoyable is that she didn't showboat with her vocals.

It's also great to see how she credits Tommy for pushing her to make this holiday album. She mostly has been against Tommy's decisions but she showed so much gratefulness to him especially with what this has done for her legacy in that Genius promo interview.

Comment

I must be one of the few ones who don't like Miss You Most... I don't like how she sings on it in the sense that every verse and chorus is sung differently and to me it feels disjointed at times.

OHN, Jesus born on this day & Hark are my favorites (and of course the legendary AIWFCIY)

Comment

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

Pitchfork is giving the 25th anniversary edition 7.3 points

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...source=twitter
                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

Comment

It's crazy how this is on track to becoming one of the most iconic Christmas albums of all time. I can still remember listening to this in 1996 when people don't even know "All I Want for Christmas Is You" as much as it was already more than a year old at the time. Now, it's a staple, and the album itself (thanks to the iconic single) is being rediscovered by young people who weren't even born at the time it was released.

Interviews showed that Mariah learned so much about this phase of her career. I think she wasn't a fan of the production of her music during the years she was married. Ironically, everything that she released during that period from 1990-1996 are the songs that are elevating her legacy more than any of those albums of hers that followed. It's also a reminder to Mariah that not all the things that happened prior to Butterfly was bad.

Comment

Working...
                                        X