Geri Halliwell - Schizophonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geri Halliwell - Schizophonic

How on earth is there no album thread for this solo Spice album?

This is possibly the best (imo) solo Spice album with 3 UK #1 singles (and another that was only 700 sales away from #1). Despite leaving the band, Geri basically decided to make a Spice Girl album (complete with Spice Girl producers) and it really worked imo.

She was on fire this entire era and set herself up as the leading lady on the pop scene back then. The album was short and sweet with only 10 songs, but she delivered the goods with 6 lovely b-sides along the way. She would go on to make better albums, and whilst Mel Cís debut outsold her, Schizophonic still sold over 2 million albums and is the highest charting solo Spice album in the US.

I would argue that Mel Cís larger sales are because she had to release remix versions of her 2 UK #1s and subsequently re-released the album to contain them - so who knows what might have happened if Geri had re-released this too. Considering how big she was at the time, Geri could have easily re-released it with a new single and a few bonus songs.

If only she hadnít been sexing Robbie Williams in 2000, we might have had a faster follow up (although he wrote Eternity about her, making Geri possibly the only woman to have two #1 singles written about her).
    Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

My favourite Solo Spice album. I feel this should should have been the third Spice Girl album.

Comment

This album is everything! It's definitely one of my all-time favourite records. It's special.
      The singles that were released are so strong. 'Look At Me' is one hell of a solo debut single. 'Mi Chico Latino' still slays and 'Lift Me Up' and 'Bag It Up' are great pop songs imo.

I really wish she had released 'Walk Away' as a single, as it's such an amazing song. So beautiful.
      Also, 'Someone's Watching Over Me' and 'Sometime'.. amazing. The b-sides from the album are also pretty great. She covered 'These Boots Are Made For Walking' and 'Live And Let Die' - but 'Summertime' remains my absolute favourite.

I didn't know Robbie William's 'Eternity' was written about Geri. I'm not a big Robbie fan, but coincidentaly 'Eternity' is my favourite song of his. The other #1 song written about Geri must be Spice Girls' 'Goodbye', no?
      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Please let us all take a minute to appreciate the EPICNESS of this "Bag It Up" performance.

That leg spread at the start.

[youtube:24cmblf1]1XciZowQi74[/youtube:24cmblf1]
        You ain't gotta break down,
        YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

Originally posted by BlueScorpion
          Please let us all take a minute to appreciate the EPICNESS of this "Bag It Up" performance.

That leg spread at the start.

[youtube:23uygp0d]1XciZowQi74[/youtube:23uygp0d]

I remember watching this. This was when The Brits were a big thing.

She said in her autobiography that she had ordered a Union Jack bra but when it came it was too small and made her breasts look too big, so didnít wear it.

I believe the legs are out of a Robin Williams film. I want to say Flubber but I might be completely wrong. Thereís definitely a movie with giant inflatable legs on a building

#FreeBritney

Comment

Itís no Northern Star but then again after Victoria IMO she was the worst of the 5.

Comment

That Bag It Up performance was certainly a highlight of her career It was so, so camp and basically so Geri Halliwell. Absolutely love it, watching it just brings a smile to my face.
              i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Comment

Although Mel C's Northern Star is the best selling Spice girl solo album, this one by Geri is the one with the most #1s in the UK....she managed to get 4 from this, and almost 5 with the lead single...I read she thought her lead would be #1 against idk who so she took the challenge and ended up at #2 by a slight margin :x
                Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

Not better than Mel C's album . . . but certainly the most iconic solo Spice Girl album

Mi Chico Latino >> Lift Me Up >> Bag It Up >> Look At Me
                  Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncť . Soda Stereo

Comment

Originally posted by MusicRecords
                    Although Mel C's Northern Star is the best selling Spice girl solo album, this one by Geri is the one with the most #1s in the UK....she managed to get 4 from this, and almost 5 with the lead single...I read she thought her lead would be #1 against idk who so she took the challenge and ended up at #2 by a slight margin :x

No - 3 UK #1s, not 4. Her 4th was from album 2.

She did think sheíd be #1 with her debut solo single and in fairness itís her fault it wasnít. At the time in the UK most acts would release CD1 (with the single and 2 b-sides) and CD2 (with alternative artwork, the single and remixes). This would generally make your stans buy the single twice on CD. Boyzone - who beat her - were huge at the time too, and released CD1 and CD2, which is why Geri has said she believes she missed out on the top spot.

I totally believe her too. It was a very divisive song though. Total marmite.

#FreeBritney

Comment

^oh, yeah 3 not 4
                      Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin
                        I didn't know Robbie William's 'Eternity' was written about Geri. I'm not a big Robbie fan, but coincidentaly 'Eternity' is my favourite song of his. The other #1 song written about Geri must be Spice Girls' 'Goodbye', no?
                        Late reply, but yes - Eternity and Goodybe are both about Geri. Rob and Geri spent the summer together in LA, between her first and second album, and at the height of her eating disorder. She always says he made her get help that summer and it saved her life.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by MusicRecords
                          ^oh, yeah 3 not 4

Was all in the original post you know

#FreeBritney

Comment

Re: Geri Halliwell - Schizophonic

Best solo spice album. Most of the songs could have been part of a Spice Girl album.

Comment

Originally posted by juanele84
                              Most of the songs could have been part of a Spice Girl album.
                              I agree. Which says a lot about her input to the band.
                              You ain't gotta break down,
                              YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

It was the first album, which I bought and still love her after 20 years.

Top 5 songs :
                                1. Goodnight Kiss
                                2. Lift Me Up
                                3. Look At Me
                                4. Let Me Love You
                                5. Sometime
                                My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                                  This album is everything! It's definitely one of my all-time favourite records. It's special.
                                  The singles that were released are so strong. 'Look At Me' is one hell of a solo debut single. 'Mi Chico Latino' still slays and 'Lift Me Up' and 'Bag It Up' are great pop songs imo.

I really wish she had released 'Walk Away' as a single, as it's such an amazing song. So beautiful.
                                  Also, 'Someone's Watching Over Me' and 'Sometime'.. amazing. The b-sides from the album are also pretty great. She covered 'These Boots Are Made For Walking' and 'Live And Let Die' - but 'Summertime' remains my absolute favourite.

jessica simpson did cover for "these boots" and made #4 in same times

Comment

This album was nice but it played to the strengths of her Ginger Spice persona. It was a clever move for her, I just wish she explored more dance sounds.

Comment

This, Northern Star & Victora Beckham are all strong debut albums IMO. The other two were a bit ropey.
                                      thank u, next

Comment

Listening to this album now, I can't believe that the Spice Girls never had Ginger Spice rap again in Spiceworld. Her rap bits in "You're in a Bubble" reminds me of "Last Time Lover". It sucks because they had potential to go further but the busy schedule and brewing war with Fuller did not do them good.

Comment

Originally posted by shinydiscopaul View Post
                                          This, Northern Star & Victora Beckham are all strong debut albums IMO. The other two were a bit ropey.
                                          victoria beckham was worst spice album imop. all songs were same .. which one is lowest sold debut solo spice album ? hot or vb ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X