No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was watching my Janet music videos dvd today and I totally fell in love with the 'Together Again [Deeper Mix]' song + video again! Janet looks so GOOD in the video!
    Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Red hair suits her, I wish she could go back to the deep times of The Velvet Rope

Comment

Originally posted by Loverboy
        Red hair suits her, I wish she could go back to the deep times of The Velvet Rope
        I agree. She looked and sounded sensational in this era!

I think one day she will return to the deeper and darker sound she had in the 90s, but perhaps not with the next album. But I think it will happen.

Comment

I bought this in 2004. And it's my favourite album of all-time.

Best track - "What About". <3

Comment

Been listening to this again as I find the album magnificent

In my opinion, sometimes our creativity flows easier when we are vulnerable and at very harsh times. That's what happened in this case. Janet focused her energy to this album and the result was what we all know. I'm not sure what's her best album, but from an human/creative point of view, this one is fore sure!

The interludes had all a very significant purpose and some were just as important as some actual tracks ("Speaker Phone", "Online", "Twisted Elegance").

"Velvet Rope" was a great metaphor to express her feelings and her visions. The violins part that came as a result of a duet with Vanessa-Mae are absolutely stunning!

"You" is a song that I usually remember when I look at some people... Check in the mirror my friend / No lies will be told then / Pointin the finger again / You can't blame nobody but you. Oh, how I wish she would write something meaningful again instead of stuff like 'Cause my swag is serious / Like a first day period.

"Got Til It's Gone" is one of the ex libris of the album. The sample from "Big Yellow Taxi" has worked perfectly and the rhythm is addictive as hell. Video is brilliant as well.

"Together Again" sounded like a genuine offer to Janet's deceased friends, instead of a desperate attempt to get a hit, as Mariah Carey did in 2008. I'm sure they would be all proud of this.

"What About" deals with domestic violence. One of tracks that portraits a careful Janet, having a go to a really important matter. Empowering and energetic.

"Tonight's the Night" gives us a good vocal performance. Janet voice has not a wide range, but she still manages to lift an amazing job.

"I Get Lonely" is really catchy. I love when she says holding myself close / pretending my arms are yours / want to one but you. Truly expressive. The videos shows Janet in grape shape, her image was perfect and the dances moves were good, as usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Star
              I bought this in 2004. And it's my favourite album of all-time.

Best track - "What About". <3
              The best R&B Album of all time I think!!! I love it so much *goes to spin*
              "I can feel it when your holding me close

You're like your one of the world wonders

I know Iím going under..."

Comment

This came into the shop today. I had to throw it in the recycling bag

I do love the title of it though. Makes it sound like a standout classic
                I sing for the things money can't buy me.

Comment

My favourite album of all-time along with Madonna's Ray of Light.

There are SO many issues she covers on this album that are so incredibly personal to my own life that no other album has ever spoken to me to a higher degree. Sonically it's also immaculate.

"What About" is my favourite track on the album, and her performance of it at the 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards... I can't even know what to say about it. <3 I also love "Free Xone," "You," "Rope Burn," "Special" and the title track.

She packed the right singles from the album too. SO much diversity in the choices; "Together Again" is also one of my favourite songs of all-time, "Got 'Til It's Gone" and "I Get Lonely" are two of THE best R&B/Soul songs EVER, I love to jam and get funky to "Go Deep" and "Everytime" is a beautiful ballad; I love the vulnerability she shows in the song.

I also enjoy the outtakes "Accept Me" and "God's Stepchild" just as much as some of the songs on the album.

Visually, The Velvet Rope is also stunning. Fantastic artwork and videos from this era.

Edit: I hadn't realised I had already posted in this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshie
                    My favourite album of all-time along with Madonna's Ray of Light.

There are SO many issues she covers on this album that are so incredibly personal to my own life that no other album has ever spoken to me to a higher degree. Sonically it's also immaculate.

"What About" is my favourite track on the album, and her performance of it at the 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards... I can't even know what to say about it. <3 I also love "Free Xone," "You," "Rope Burn," "Special" and the title track.

She packed the right singles from the album too. SO much diversity in the choices; "Together Again" is also one of my favourite songs of all-time, "Got 'Til It's Gone" and "I Get Lonely" are two of THE best R&B/Soul songs EVER, I love to jam and get funky to "Go Deep" and "Everytime" is a beautiful ballad; I love the vulnerability she shows in the song.

I also enjoy the outtakes "Accept Me" and "God's Stepchild" just as much as some of the songs on the album.

Visually, The Velvet Rope is also stunning. Fantastic artwork and videos from this era.

Edit: I hadn't realised I had already posted in this topic.
                    Agreee withe everything you've said!

And with 'Everytime', I love the way she sings 'scared to fall in love'. As you say, she really shows vulnerability. A very underrated ballad.
                    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

I think "Together Again" is overrated.

All For You & Doesn't Really Matter >>>>

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshie
                        No other album has ever spoken to me to a higher degree.
                        Same! The only album that has came close is B'Day because I had broke up with someone around it's release and I found it really empowering and liberating to listen to.

I keep searching for an album that can make me feel like The Velvet Rope does, but nothing does it quite the same way.
                        CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Comment

I fear that I'll never find an album as good as this one.

Comment

I love "Everytime"! i still love watching The Velvet Rope Tour!

Comment

amazing album but Jan's 2nd best behind Rhythm Nation 1814 (which was quite frankly AWESOME)

I pray she one day makes an album up to the standard of The Velvet Rope. I've pretty much liked everything since but nothing she's done has been as good as this. she needs to ditch whatever the trendy producers are at the time, ditch Jermaine Dupri & So So Def and get back with Jam & Lewis to re-create the magic they once had. just concentrate on GOOD SONGS, not whatever's relevant. Relevant becomes dated very quickly.
                              "Free me, FreE.M.I!" - sing it Joss!!

Comment

Hey guys! Feel free to check my Janet Top 100 Songs! I've already counted down #100-91.

Comment

this album is good...but i think rythmn nation is better...anyway, rythmn nation, .janet and the velvet rope are all very good albums! not many pop acts can do 3 great albums like these 3 in a row!
                                  "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

Comment

I'm still in love with "I Get Lonely". Such an amazing track!

Comment

Originally posted by TiagoRodrigues
                                      this album is good...but i think rythmn nation is better...anyway, rythmn nation, .janet and the velvet rope are all very good albums! not many pop acts can do 3 great albums like these 3 in a row!
                                      Control (and arguably All for you) is a classic too. 5 great albums ;-)

No one yet has come close to making as commercially powerful (RN) and creatively powerful (VR) albums as Janet has. Both albums are in the 'Greatest albums of all time list'. Everyone just disappoints me of this new generation of singers and thats why I remain a fan of hers to this day. Rhythm Nation and Velvet Rope changed if not saved people's lifes. There are fans I've spoken to that say its cause of VR that they came out and truly accepted who they are.
                                      I remember when I was younger and being bullied I would lay in bed some nights crying and listen to VR from start to finish with the lights dimmed. It always made me feel like someone knew what I was going through :-(

Comment

Originally posted by gaz_uk
                                        Janet's best album - and IMO the greatest R&B album of all time.
                                        Forget R&B. Its one of THE greatest albums of all time :-)

Comment

The instrumental parts of the title track give me life...!
                                          My Chart

My Rihanna Countdown

Comment

Listening to this album from start to finish, uninterrupted, is just an awesome, surreal experience.

Comment

I have no complaints with this era, she handled it perfectly!

Comment

Classic.

Comment

Velvet Rope is her most underrated and her best song to DATE. Deal with it
                                                  Rihanna FrankOcean FleetwoodMac Eminem TheVelvetUnderground BobMarley Drake JayZ KanyeWest MarvinGaye BruceSpringsteen PinkFloyd TheClash RADIOHEAD

Comment

I only really discovered Janet's music a few months back (if you go to her thread you can see me posting massive essays after hearing Damita Jo haha) but Velvet Rope has already become one of my favourite albums ever!

I don't really like Free Xone or Every Time, and then I think My Need and Anything are ok, but EVERY OTHER SONG on the album is just PURE QUALITY!! Seriously it's ridiculous how one album can have so many amazing songs!

And yes, Rope Burn is the sex.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X