No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Velvet Rope" as a single? I would of loved that. Imagine the video. It would of been epic. I also would of liked "What About" as a single too.
    Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

• "What About" was initially planned for release as well. And radio edit of the title track received limited test airplay. I'd love to hear that edited version of Velvet Rope, but shortening that song is blasphemy.
      Gone.

Comment

• I'd have loved a proper music video for You rather than the concert montage video that it got. Many of the songs on The Velvet Rope could have had a visual.

The performance of What About at the VH1 Fashion Awards is one of my favourites ever from Janet.

I read a perspective that Janet was singing about a trans person in her cover of Tonight's the Night, which I think is really interesting. Such an underrated cover.

Comment

• ^Well she has been supportive to the transgender community so it could be true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yoshie
            I read a perspective that Janet was singing about a trans person in her cover of Tonight's the Night, which I think is really interesting. Such an underrated cover.
            Yes that's true. That's why she addressees that person as a girl all of the time, but at the and she addresses her as a boy. Very cool.
            Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan
              Originally posted by Yoshie
              Yes that's true. That's why she addressees that person as a girl all of the time, but at the and she addresses her as a boy. Very cool.
              I can't see that being true at all.

Comment

• Why? Wasn't she producing that transgender documentary?
                Gone.

Comment

• This record is so stunning.

Comment

• There is nothing close to this album, she really went left field with the representation of music, though janet. is a better album overall, it was very commercial as compared to this, which was a real, concept album. What's great is that she didn't publicize it in the media, she just went all out with the album's direction/message and let it speak for itself. So many issues are talked about here (LGBT, HIV/AIDS, depression, black America) that were still very much taboo back then.

Comment

• Twisted elegance
                      It's my belief that we all have the need to feel special
                      And it's this need that can bring out the best in us
                      Yet the worst in us
                      This need created The Velvet Rope

She brought her A-game to this album! Janet's interludes absolutely smash most singles of today.
                      You ain't gotta break down,
                      YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

• Velvet Rope 9/10
                        You 7/10
                        Got 'Til It's Gone 10/10
                        My Need 8/10
                        Go Deep 10/10
                        Free Xone 7/10
                        Together Again 10/10
                        Empty 7/10
                        What About 8/10
                        Every Time 9/10
                        Tonight's The Night 7/10
                        I Get Lonely 10/10
                        Rope Burn 10/10
                        Anything 7/10
                        Special 7/10
                        Can't Be Stopped 7/10
                        Donna Summer / Janet Jackson / Tina Turner / Toni Braxton / Billie Holiday

Comment

• Tonight's The Night >>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

• Happy 20 year anniversary!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yoshie
                              Happy Birthday to the greatest album of all-time.

Comment

• Happy birthday to this unique and beautiful album.

It still sounds sooo good today but especially My Need. This still sounds so fresh as if it was a song that was released like 2, 3 years ago.

Comment

• 20 years old and this still sounds amazing. This is such a timeless masterpiece. Every track is amazing and special in its own way. It's a shame that this is so underrated amongst the general public. This has stood the test of time and is one of the greatest albums of the 90's and it definitely deserved to be in the Rolling Stone''s "300 Greatest Albums of All-Time" list.

Comment

• Happy to see fans showing love to this on social media and pointing "I Get Lonely" as one of the album's highlights.
                                    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

• Happy Birthday to this masterpiece my favourite Janet album, GTIG is the song that made me a fan.

Comment

• I Get Lonely will always be an ultimate fave as it was one of the first CD singles I ever bought. I was 9 years old. I remember the version I bought had Blackstreet on it alongside 4 different versions of the song.

Velvet Rope and Empty are my fave album tracks.

Comment

• I was listening to this album today and damn, it is so good.

Velvet Rope is a pure classic!!!
                                          Go Deep really says it all!
                                          Empty has this vibe, where she flow over such a stunning beat!
                                          What About is my anger song! It starts off so sensual! And then BOOM!!!

This let alone the brilliant singles selected. GTIG, IGSL, Everytime, and the stunning TA!!!

This album was simply brilliant and I was finding it hard to think she’d top Janet
                                          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• I don't understand why Velvet Rope wasn't a single? It perfectly introduces the album theme, but it's also very sleek and sexy and radio friendly in sound. And it's a ******* amazing song.
                                            I have received many gifts from God,
                                            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                              I don't understand why Velvet Rope wasn't a single? It perfectly introduces the album theme, but it's also very sleek and sexy and radio friendly in sound. And it's a ******* amazing song.
                                              I have to quote myself because I've been listening to this album for these past few days and I just don't understand this at all. This could've been her signature staple song easily. The one people come to hear when they go to her concert. I'm actually a bit pissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                I have to quote myself because I've been listening to this album for these past few days and I just don't understand this at all. This could've been her signature staple song easily. The one people come to hear when they go to her concert. I'm actually a bit pissed.
                                                Honestly, it could've have been the first single. A top 10 hit for sure; can you imagine the remixes? (I'd like to think she'd have gone pretty left field with it, Underworld, Goldie etc.) VR would have been a better tone-setter of the era than "Got 'Til It's Gone" was and its poppy enough to have worked on radio. It damn sure made an awesome show opener; at the show I saw, lots of us were singing along to it. Perhaps she remove it from the moth balls and add it to her setlist soon? It's a definite fan favorite
                                                The sands of time fade into dark
                                                Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                                                A message to madness
                                                Feel music that's realness

Comment

• They could've gone with such a simple yet effective video. Just having a small area surrounded by velvet rope and have her welcome all different kinds of people inside... The are gets bigger, everybody is accepting of each other, they all enjoy and have fun... And the video could end with her opening the rope into the camera and inviting the viewer/listener.

Comment

• [MENTION=28072]beredy[/MENTION] I like that concept. I'd always envisioned something high-tech for it, some kind of futuristic battle between the Best Janet and the Worst Janet. A double makes more sense in a VR video than it did in "Together Again"
                                                    A message to madness

Comment

• The iconic album turns 22 today!

- #1 in the US
                                                      - certified 3x platinum
                                                      - #1 in Denmark & South Africa, Top 10 in 14 countries
                                                      - spawned the #1 hit "Together Again", one of the best-selling singles of all time
                                                      - spawned the #3 hit "I Get Lonely", which became her 18th consecutive Top 10 hit, making her the only female artist in history to achieve that
                                                      - "Got 'til It's Gone" won the 1998 Grammy Award for Best Music Video
                                                      - is considered to have influenced the development of alternative R&B
                                                      - named as an inspiration by artists such as Rihanna, Tinashe, Nicole Scherzinger and more
                                                      - 10 million copies sold worldwide

This album is the definition of art and perfection. One of the best albums of all time (#3 in my ranking) and in my opinion her best. The fact that she gave us her sexist album while also giving us her most personal, emotional, vulnerable, introspective and mature album amazes me. The tour was outstanding and its visuals and promo performances were flawless too. And as cheesy as it sounds this album has helped me through a lot.
                                                      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Love the idea behind Free Xone but that song is a mess tbh. Lyrically it's awesome, sonically they messed up.

This album is everything tho. Looove it. Tonight's The Night is a wonderful cover.

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
                                                          Love the idea behind Free Xone but that song is a mess tbh. Lyrically it's awesome, sonically they messed up.

This album is everything tho. Looove it. Tonight's The Night is a wonderful cover.
                                                          Agreed.

Just listened to the "Together Again" remix EP. Probably one of the best remix EPs ever. She really re-recorded the song 3 times and made it sound like completely new songs and they are all amazing.
                                                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• I know that she was going through depression during the recording of this era. I wonder how it felt to perform these songs live during her healing.?.?
                                                            Diva!!!

Comment

• "Empty" may very well be my fave Jan deep cut
                                                              A message to madness

Comment

Working...
                                                              X