# Fourth of July
    # Breakdown
    # Babydoll
    # Close My Eyes
    # Whenever You Call
    # Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
    # The Beautiful Ones
    # Outside
    What are your favourites tracks from the album? What are your general thoughts on the album? Do you think this was Mariah at her peak?
    Yes.
    32.43%
    No
    67.57%

It's clearly her most consistent album, I'd say. Whether it's her best comes down to simply a matter of taste.

I always think it comes down to Mariah really getting all EMOTIVE with it, and giving the lyrics substance in the vocals. Because the previous two efforts were rather VACANT, the vocal chops were intact, but Music Box and Daydream didn't have the vocal interpretation that Butterfly had.

There isn't a bad song on it, my favorite tracks on it are "Close My Eyes", "The Roof", "Honey" and "My All".
    Check out my new Michael Jackson top 50 countdown!!!

Comment

This is one of, if not my favourite album of all time. I think it's flawless all the way through. I've never heard such a beautiful album in all my life.

I'll post what I said about the album in another thread:

Her best era and album was "Butterfly". The singles were superb, the videos were very classy, her look and image was perfect - it was sexy, but still very mature and elegant, and her voice and sound was just incredible. Butterfly is one of, if not my favourite album of all time. Every track is smoothly produced, beautifully shaped and arranged to showcase Mariah's moving and powerful vocal abilities as well as her inspired, and much commended transition to a more R&B influenced sound.
      Honey - A real triumph for Mariah. The production and use of the two samples was genius.

Butterfly - Absolutely spectacular. Exhilarating in every sense. Its build-up is marvellously done, and Mariah vocals have never been so emotional.

My All - This gave Mariah her 13th #1 single. The song’s Spanish feel made it feel mysterious, and it still gives me goose bumps to watch the video now. It’s such an addictive, hypnotising ballad that draws you in after a few lines. Mariah’s vocals are as powerful as ever, and they're much more emotive, and even more beautiful. Her contrast from whispery verses to belting choruses is wonderful. She carries the song beautifully throughout. I never get bored of this, and it’s one of my favourite ballads of all time too. Mariah’s image, vocals and emotion at her very best.

The Roof - Very sensual and enjoyable. One of my favourite uses of a sample in a song. The video suited the song's laid-back and relaxing atmosphere.

Fourth Of July - Again, incredibly sensual. The chorus is so gentle and smoothly produced. It's truly delightful.

Breakdown - Breakdown - A masterpiece from start to finish. The additional vocals from Bone Thugs-n-Harmony really added to the laid-back feel of the song. Throughout, the production is just mesmerising. The soothing, slow-tempo R&B background music is superb, and helps to enforce the effortless feel of the song. The lyrics are also ingenious.

I can’t express the feeling that I get from this song - it’s just indescribable. Even the video is perfect - in fact it’s my favourite Mariah video from her entire career. She’s really on the top of her game. She look’s confident, finally doing the thing she wants to do, and just being the real her. I agree with Mariah - I will always be upset that “Breakdown” never got its shot.

Babydoll - The lyrics are brilliant, and its carefree feel make this a pleasurable listen. An incredibly clever pop tune.

Close My Eyes - Now, this is one of the most beautiful ballads ever, IMO. The piano accompaniment in this is just indescribable. Mariah's soft and emotional vocals lift the song to another level. As I have probably said before, "Butterfly" is the one of the greatest album to just sit down, and relax to. It's the ultimate chill-out collection, and this song is the highlight. Mariah holds back in this personal, reflective and emotional ballad and sings such wonderful lyrics. This is a real hidden gem, and I know this is one of Mariah’s favourites too. She performed it wonderfully on the Rosie O’Donnell show in 1998.

Whenever You Call - This is a classic Mariah ballad IMO. When I heard this originally, I was pleased to hear that Mariah was still sticking in her trademark atmospheric Afanasieff creations. The chorus to this song is sublime, and I especially like the lyric in the bridge, "And You, Have Opened My Heart, And Lifted Me Inside, By Showing Me Yourself Undisguised." The Brian McKnight version is also brilliant, although I do prefer the solo version. "Butterfly" has no weak songs at all, and even the underrated "The Beautiful Ones" is a highlight for me. The whole album is just perfection. If this was released fully, I think this could have been another Top 20 hit from Mariah.

Fly Away - A great dance remix. Admittedly, it doesn't have a suitable place on the album, but it nicely breaks up the many ballds in the second half of the record. Mariah's vocals shine on here.

The Beautiful Ones - An inspired cover of one of my favourite Prince songs. As the song developes, you can feel yourself connecting with it more and more. It's quite lengthy, but the parts are shared more or less equally by Dru Hill and Mariah. This duet works incredibly well IMO. Their vocals blend together so perfectly.

Outside - This track is one of my favourite songs of all time. It touched me in a way that no other song has. The lyrics are so relatable - and Mariah's vocals still leave me breathless. I know it's said time and time again, but this song has truly gotten me through some difficult times, and it does still inspire me today.

I loved the single covers from this era too:

Comment

It's not her very best album, but i still love it

But the cover is my fave Mariah cover

Comment

Butterfly and My All are the single 2 reasons that put me off Mariah in the 90s.

Comment

I love Butterfly but its not her best i would go with MusicBox that's a great album but i love Butterfly

Butterfly
            Honey
            My ALL
            The Beautiful Ones
            I hope your happy now

Comment

I voted No in the poll. I think Butterfly was definitely one of her most personal albums and since she had creative control she made it a real classic that many people love and can relate to. I do love it, it's just not my favorite as it has some filler songs I think. Definitely a modern classic in my book, though. I'll give a more detailed review later.
              My Last.fm

Comment

I never understood all the love for this album. It was good, but in my opinion, it's far from her best. Fourth of July, My All, and Breakdown are my faves.
                They call it the Church of Hot Addiction

Comment

Originally posted by AyumiH
                  I voted No in the poll. I think Butterfly was definitely one of her most personal albums and since she had creative control she made it a real classic that many people love and can relate to. I do love it, it's just not my favorite as it has some filler songs I think. Definitely a modern classic in my book, though. I'll give a more detailed review later.
                  100% agree. And I too will give a more detailed review later!

Comment

This is definitely NOT her best album. It is good, yes, but for me there is no real banger after Honey and My all. Sure, The roof and Fourth of July are nice to listen to, but they aren't the masterpieces an album needs IMO to be consistent in the middle. For me it's like Mariah falls asleep during "Breakdown" and wakes up during "Butterfly Reprise" and that just doesn't cut it for me.
                    Music is the blood in my veins

Feel free to add me to your friends list :-)

Comment

Butterfly.

Such an amazing album with every single track being essential. The album is lyrically and vocally amazing. Mariah gave her all with this record. Her best songs come from that album, Butterfly, My All, Honey, Whenever You Call. All are amazing. This album was the start of the new-fresh-free Mariah.

Comment

I voted "no", though I feel it's one of her essential "trifecta" along with Music Box and Daydream.

"The Roof" is one of her most underrated songs ever. Ironically on this one, I prefer the less successful singles (such as that, "Breakdown" and "Whenever You Call") over the more successful singles!
                        Freaky Fly Bry's Top 100

M4B Charts Central

Comment

Artistically, its her most important effort, and IMO the record that helped define the modern RnB genre. Its a great record, but far from her best IMO

Comment

I don't this woman has a, "best" album. She has many great records and this is one of them.
                            Blu Cantrell - "S.O.S." (Tell Me Where You At)

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by FreakyFlyBry
                                I voted "no", though I feel it's one of her essential "trifecta" along with Music Box and Daydream.
                                I agree with that comment, except I include Merry Christmas in there as well.

Comment

Her best album IMO.

A classy blend of R&B/Hip Hop/Pop, stunning vocal delivery, and beautifully written songs. With this album she managed to produce a very contemporary sound without trying too hard to sound young or "cool".
                                  "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

Originally posted by gaz_uk
                                    Her best album IMO.

A classy blend of R&B/Hip Hop/Pop, stunning vocal delivery, and beautifully written songs. With this album she managed to produce a very contemporary sound without trying too hard to sound young or "cool".
                                    Nicely said.
                                    Do you prefer this over "Charmbracelet" now?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo9
                                      Do you prefer this over "Charmbracelet" now?
                                      Hmmm... It's really close between the two actually. But these days I generally give the edge to "Butterfly" because her vocals were better on that album, plus the era in general was just much better.

"Bringing On The Heartbreak" is still by far my favourite Mariah track ever though.
                                      "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

FINALLY bought this album the other day!
                                        Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

It's not her very best for me, but still, a nice album.

Comment

Not her absolute best, but up there. This, the debut and Mimi are definitely her "trifecta" IMO. Every 7-8 years she does her best work, LOL
                                            My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Was 'Whenever You Call' an actual single?
                                              Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

TEOM is her best.

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                                                  Was 'Whenever You Call' an actual single?
                                                  No, I think it was just a promo single. :x

Comment

Working...
                                                  X