Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaloki
    replied
    My favourite album of all time (but I still had to delete Whenever You Call)

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Re: April - Butterfly [album]

Whispering is a hoodrat style of singing. Butterfly was her first hoodrat album...

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncé
    replied
    Re: April - Butterfly [album]

I wonder what made MC go the “whisper” route when singing on this? I totally took me aback (but not in a bad way). It wasn’t her usual loud vocals and belting notes. It worked so perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Guru
    She truly was an English teacher with her lyrics in this album
    I learnt so many new words
    That's one of the reasons I love her lyrics.

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncé
    replied
    Re: Mariah Carey - Butterfly [album]

She truly was an English teacher with her lyrics in this album
    I learnt so many new words

Leave a comment:

• BlueScorpion
    replied
    Re: Mariah Carey - Butterfly [album]

Beautiful lyrics in here. In all songs. A true bible for a songwriter.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    I wish they all made her old albums released with deluxe bonus material! I'm disappointed they only released a vinyl for this and nothing else. :-? :-?

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncé
    replied
    Originally posted by ludichris
    I’ve come to the conclusion recently that my all time fave personal song of hers is Close My Eyes
    I agree it's a very deep and autobiographical song. I feel this song can be interpreted many ways, I read an analysis that said the last verse/bridge is about a failed suicide attempt. :-? Her best songwriting is on this album.
    That song summaries my life. I recently found this gem

[youtube:19lqisn8]mU9BLZyHQRE[/youtube:19lqisn8]

Leave a comment:

• hellohello
    replied
    Originally posted by mattsky
    Originally posted by TheRealest
    Hard to believe this masterpiece came from the same woman we have today.
    I know, it's almost as if it's two people . She really delivered with this glorious album. I love the smooth production on this album. "Forth Of July" is my favourite. "Babydoll" is good. I don't get the hate for it and I adore "The Roof", "Breakdown", "Close My Eyes" and "My All".

Leave a comment:

• ludichris
    replied
    I’ve come to the conclusion recently that my all time fave personal song of hers is Close My Eyes
    I agree it's a very deep and autobiographical song. I feel this song can be interpreted many ways, I read an analysis that said the last verse/bridge is about a failed suicide attempt. :-? Her best songwriting is on this album.

Leave a comment:

• mattsky
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    I agree! Everything she released post-Walter Afanasieff can't come close to the brilliance of their work together, and that includes the amazing "We Belong Together".

Leave a comment:

• Preyoncé
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SawyerHewitt
    replied
    Originally posted by dhenapie
    After listening to the acapella version of Outside, I don't think I'll ever use the regular version of it again.
    !!!!

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    This is one of the best R&B albums of the 1990s, it's sad that it gets overlooked because of Mariah's current image. I mean, it's up there with The Velvet Rope, My Life and The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and those other great albums.

I totally agree, who would have thought that it would all come to this twenty years after!?

Leave a comment:

• dhenapie
    replied
    After listening to the acapella version of Outside, I don't think I'll ever use the regular version of it again.

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MusicLover88
    replied
    Sans doute, her best.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    today I had my first ever parents teacher conference... i was so nervous and guess which album I played to find my inner strength and peace... Butterfly. It saved me once again. My conference was an utter success btw.

Leave a comment:

• BlueScorpion
    replied
    A R&B-Hip-Hop please. God, this is CELESTIAL.

Babydoll >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Leave a comment:

• Pawlu84
    replied
    Originally posted by ThaInfo1
    Originally posted by JSparksFan
    I listened to this album over the weekend, and it just clicked with me. Every song is somewhere along the spectrum of outstanding craftsmanship and dizzying brilliance. "The Beautiful Ones", in particular, has just sunk its teeth into my soul, and refuses to let go.

It's taken a few years for me to come around, but I finally agree with this being deemed her magnum opus.
    Yes sis. This album is legit everything. A masterpiece.

Outside still gives me the holy ghost, chills and makes tear up.
    The last minute is

Leave a comment:

• ThaInfo1
    replied
    I listened to this album over the weekend, and it just clicked with me. Every song is somewhere along the spectrum of outstanding craftsmanship and dizzying brilliance. "The Beautiful Ones", in particular, has just sunk its teeth into my soul, and refuses to let go.

It's taken a few years for me to come around, but I finally agree with this being deemed her magnum opus.
    Yes sis. This album is legit everything. A masterpiece.

Outside still gives me the holy ghost, chills and makes tear up.

Leave a comment:

• LongingHeart
    replied

Yeeeeees good for you!
    It took me some time as well but when I got older it just clicked.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dhenapie
    replied
    ^ I kind of agree. I really love the song, although sometimes it feels unfinished for some odd reason (Unpopular opinion: I slightly prefer the Brian duet on #1's). And this was probably one of the first songs recorded for Butterfly. Her vocals sound so Daydream-ish here (also on Outside and parts of My All).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X