No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey - Butterfly [album]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everyone think about the whisper which she adopted on every song apart from Honey? When I first heard the album, I was shocked that she had mellowed her voice so much. However, it has since grown on me to be my favourite album. Using the whisper voice has benefits and disadvantages:

Benefits:
    It adds a sense of emotion never really heard before
    It makes some songs smoother and more slick
    It is way not as raspy as Charmbracelet

Disadvantages:
    You can feel a little underwhelmed sometimes
    It can be a shock to hear her voice being squashed down

What do you think? IMO, Butterfly is still one of her better albums vocally
    But the time went sailing by, reluctantly we said goodbye and left our secret place so far behind...

Comment

• I don't think there's a negative thing I can say about this album. This was Mariah at her strongest.

Comment

• To make those airy whispers on songs like "Butterfly" and insane transitions is much more difficult than to sing in middle register.

Lazy whispers are those found in "Did I do that?" type of songs.
        NoHype.

my lousy cover of "Sway"https://soundcloud.com/nyein-chann-a...n-martin-cover

Comment

• I love all the songs on Butterfly but I can't just listen to the whole album without getting bored. :(

Comment

• I don't think I've ever made it all the way through Babydoll. Boring song.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad
              I don't think I've ever made it all the way through Babydoll. Boring song.
              I luvv babydoll! It's so underrated and unpopular among lambs

Comment

• Babydoll is the first track I'd scrap from the album.
                Without it, the album would've been ***flawless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamhe
                  Lazy whispers are those found in "Did I do that?" type of songs.
                  I couldn't agree more - the vocals on Did I Do That?, How Much and Want You type songs are pretty dire.

I've never understood the hype for Want You - it is a racket.

And yes, I agree the vocals are amazing on Butterfly.
                  But the time went sailing by, reluctantly we said goodbye and left our secret place so far behind...

Comment

• Originally posted by intosoul
                    Babydoll is the first track I'd scrap from the album.
                    Preach the truth - Babydoll is BORING.

Without it, Butterfly would be miles ahead of Daydream IMO - it is still ahead but Babydoll drags it back.

Comment

• This was the first Mariah album I bought with which I was disappointed... :( Every album before that was stellar and I loved or at the very least, liked just about every song. I pretty much only listen to My All, Whenever You Call, Butterfly and Honey. But not even any of these songs could compare with how much I had loved some of her earlier singles. As for the other songs (Babydoll, Beautiful Ones, Outside etc), I never listen to them and can't actually hum anything from them. I actually had to look up the tracklisting on Wiki just to make this post!

It was a wonderful artistic breakthrough for Mariah and was what she needed - she definitely dropped her AC straightjacket but that means her AC fans also deserted her. I think it's not surprising that so many current Mariah fans say that this is their favourite album of hers. Her current songs and sounds are more R&B/HipHop (in the vein of Butterfly the album) and hence this type of fan will naturally cite Butterfly as the Mothership Album - the one that spawned them all. I think if you ask her pre-Butterfly fans who no longer listen to her and therefore don't voice opinions, they wouldn't choose Butterfly as the best album.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlmondBreeze
                        I think if you ask her pre-Butterfly fans who no longer listen to her and therefore don't voice opinions, they wouldn't choose Butterfly as the best album.
                        I hadn't heard Butterfly until about 2 months after being a fan - having mainly listened to the singles up until Daydream. When I listened to Butterfly, it took about 2 listens to fall in love with. Despite this, I do agree with your quote as many fans did desert her because she did abandon SOME of her AC sound, but she still recorded many ballads on Butterfly. She even said on an interview in the Netherlands that she 'loves to record ballads and will always do' or something along those lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by ultralamb2000
                          Originally posted by AlmondBreeze
                          I think if you ask her pre-Butterfly fans who no longer listen to her and therefore don't voice opinions, they wouldn't choose Butterfly as the best album.
                          I hadn't heard Butterfly until about 2 months after being a fan - having mainly listened to the singles up until Daydream. When I listened to Butterfly, it took about 2 listens to fall in love with. Despite this, I do agree with your quote as many fans did desert her because she did abandon SOME of her AC sound, but she still recorded many ballads on Butterfly. She even said on an interview in the Netherlands that she 'loves to record ballads and will always do' or something along those lines.
                          Yas, I agree. She still does her AC schtick with her ballads and she has kept her AC fans who also like R&B (hence I am still stanning...). But the balance of her albums became more R&B/HipHop, so if you are a pure AC fan, you may no longer feel like it's good value to buy her album anymore cos you're only going to get 1 good AC ballad with a few filler AC songs and then the rest will be Hoodriah. That's how I felt when I bought Butterfly anyway. Nowdays, I like R&B more so can look back and appreciate her non-AC songs but at the time, I was like "uh...what's this stuff?"

Comment

• Mariah's best album by miles - her only truly great album imo - and for me, one of the best albums of all time (well rnb albums at least)

And the Babydoll hate I think that song is the absolute sex! The whole climax at the end still gives me shivers sometimes!

The song that should've been cut is Whenever You Call. That schmaltzy cheesy rubbish doesn't belong on such a good album!

Comment

• Whenever You Call is so beautiful

Comment

• if we go by this track by track, it's actually "My All" that seems out of place here productionwise.

Comment

• Her best album. One of my all-time favorites.
                                  Every track is perfect.
                                  Right now I'm obsessed with Babydoll. Pure sex!
                                  Floped and localed

Comment

• 19 years ago today Butterfly was released, Happy Anniversary !

Comment

• Originally posted by ultralamb2000
                                      Originally posted by intosoul
                                      Babydoll is the first track I'd scrap from the album.
                                      Preach the truth - Babydoll is BORING.

Without it, Butterfly would be miles ahead of Daydream IMO - it is still ahead but Babydoll drags it back.
                                      Missy's productions are so overrated TBH.

Comment

• "Babydoll" is amazing, she was going for the whole Aaliyah One in a Million sound with it which worked. "The Beautiful Ones" is the worst song here, it's not really bad, but it's a forgettable rendition and such a long dragging track.

Comment

• Babydoll is perfect. One of Missy's finest productions.
                                          This album s**** all over Daybore.
                                          Floped and localed

Comment

• Every song. Phenomenal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaInfo1
                                              Every song. Phenomenal.
                                              My bestest album of hers
                                              So much soul, her whispering started in this era, and such a personal (lyrically) album
                                              | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• I'm always coming back to this album, like it's my lifeline. I think it's become part of my soul.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• "Outside" is amazing, what a sad song!

Comment

• I only use the first 8 songs

Comment

Working...
                                                    X