Mariah Carey - Butterfly [album]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheRealest
    Hard to believe this masterpiece came from the same woman we have today.
    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by Guru
      I’ve come to the conclusion recently that my all time fave personal song of hers is Close My Eyes
      I agree it's a very deep and autobiographical song. I feel this song can be interpreted many ways, I read an analysis that said the last verse/bridge is about a failed suicide attempt. :-? :( Her best songwriting is on this album.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattsky
        Originally posted by TheRealest
        Hard to believe this masterpiece came from the same woman we have today.
        I know, it's almost as if it's two people . She really delivered with this glorious album. I love the smooth production on this album. "Forth Of July" is my favourite. "Babydoll" is good. I don't get the hate for it and I adore "The Roof", "Breakdown", "Close My Eyes" and "My All".
        Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

• Originally posted by ludichris
          Originally posted by Guru
          I’ve come to the conclusion recently that my all time fave personal song of hers is Close My Eyes
          I agree it's a very deep and autobiographical song. I feel this song can be interpreted many ways, I read an analysis that said the last verse/bridge is about a failed suicide attempt. :-? :( Her best songwriting is on this album.
          That song summaries my life. I recently found this gem

[youtube:19lqisn8]mU9BLZyHQRE[/youtube:19lqisn8]
          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• I wish they all made her old albums released with deluxe bonus material! I'm disappointed they only released a vinyl for this and nothing else. :-? :-?

Comment

• Re: Mariah Carey - Butterfly [album]

Beautiful lyrics in here. In all songs. A true bible for a songwriter.
              You ain't gotta break down,
              YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

She truly was an English teacher with her lyrics in this album
                I learnt so many new words
                | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Originally posted by Guru
                  She truly was an English teacher with her lyrics in this album
                  I learnt so many new words
                  That's one of the reasons I love her lyrics.
                  My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Re: April - Butterfly [album]

I wonder what made MC go the “whisper” route when singing on this? I totally took me aback (but not in a bad way). It wasn’t her usual loud vocals and belting notes. It worked so perfectly.

Comment

• Re: April - Butterfly [album]

Whispering is a hoodrat style of singing. Butterfly was her first hoodrat album...
                      Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• My favourite album of all time (but I still had to delete Whenever You Call)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki
                          My favourite album of all time (but I still had to delete Whenever You Call)
                          Blasphemy on Easter day. How dare you.
                          Floped and localed

Comment

I used to cry to the sound of Whenever You Call and Never Too Far. Thanks for saving me when my X didn't
                            You ain't gotta break down,
                            YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Comment

• It's so frustrating that this era started her inevitable miming. How many actual live performances of "My All" do we have? Almost all were the CD version played with a lower key.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack
                                It's so frustrating that this era started her inevitable miming. How many actual live performances of "My All" do we have? Almost all were the CD version played with a lower key.
                                My All at Divas Live. It's my favorite version. I love the orchestra, so much better than the album version.
                                And I love how it goes into the dance version.
                                Best version I've heard of My All.
                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueScorpion
                                  I used to cry to the sound of Whenever You Call and Never Too Far. Thanks for saving me when my X didn't
                                  Close My Eyes can still get me choked up on full moons. Unfortunately, that does mean I try not to play it because I can relate to it just that much. A beautiful autobiographical piece from MC.

Breakdown does the same too though since it's so smooth I can have it on in the background without attaching the same feeling.
                                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• [youtube:3rtlbj5f]im03sK_CmIY[/youtube:3rtlbj5f]

I was wayward child
                                    With the weight of the world
                                    That I held deep inside
                                    Life was a winding road
                                    And I learned many things
                                    Little ones shouldn't know
                                    But I closed my eyes
                                    Steadied my feet on the ground
                                    Raised my head to the sky
                                    And though time's rolled by
                                    Still feel like that child
                                    As I look at the moon
                                    Maybe I grew up
                                    A little too soon
                                    Lada dat tara
                                    Lada dat tara rara
                                    Lada dat tara

But I closed my eyes
                                    Steadied my feet on the ground
                                    Raise my head to the sky
                                    And though time rolls by
                                    Still feel like a child
                                    As I look at the moon
                                    Maybe I grew up
                                    A little too soon
                                    My ultimate MC song. And my fave album of hers period.
                                    This is a true life testament by MC that I can relate to.

Comment

• [center:1fox8lpr]This album came out 21 years ago today...

[youtube:1fox8lpr]stcdNj0SANw[/youtube:1fox8lpr]

Released: September 16th 1997[/center:1fox8lpr]
                                      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Happy 21st to this gem of an album, currently listening to this right now and it’s aged so well. It’s a true testament to an album that is so cohesive and sounds like it could be released today and still sound current and fresh! This really is her best album as an artist, her magnum opus if you like. It contains my favourite song from her ever ‘The Roof’ pure perfection! Probably my favourite album ever

Comment

• Originally posted by SG1401
                                          Happy 21st to this gem of an album, currently listening to this right now and it’s aged so well. It’s a true testament to an album that is so cohesive and sounds like it could be released today and still sound current and fresh! This really is her best album as an artist, her magnum opus if you like. It contains my favourite song from her ever ‘The Roof’ pure perfection! Probably my favourite album ever
                                          All of this <3
                                          Floped and localed

Comment

• I think her whispery choice on this was the same reason she went down that route on CB.
                                            She said she was sick and tired of being locked up, sing-sing and belt out throughout all of her songs.
                                            Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Originally posted by SG1401
                                              Happy 21st to this gem of an album, currently listening to this right now and it’s aged so well. It’s a true testament to an album that is so cohesive and sounds like it could be released today and still sound current and fresh! This really is her best album as an artist, her magnum opus if you like. It contains my favourite song from her ever ‘The Roof’ pure perfection! Probably my favourite album ever

Comment

My Top 5:

1. The Roof
                                                2. Breakdown
                                                3. Close My Eyes
                                                4. Honey
                                                5. Butterfly
                                                Floped and localed

Comment

Mine are

The Roof
                                                  Honey
                                                  The Beautiful Ones
                                                  Breakdown
                                                  Outside

Comment

1. The Roof
                                                    2. Honey
                                                    3. Butterfly
                                                    4. Breakdown
                                                    5. My All

Comment

Working...
                                                    X