replied
    Yes! Of course it is her best album! I'm still in love with Butterfly <3

1. Butterfly
    2. Daydream
    3. TEOM

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    I love this album, second after Daydream!

This is very consistent, it has a concept that flows from track to track, unlike other Mariah albums that practically have a mix of this and that, and a little of those, and then she releases the album.

She has patterned most of her new albums to this. The Emancipation of Mimi comes close though, but that was more of a feel-good party record with live instruments for the ballads, and some old school jams.

This is Mariah's most solid album ever conceptwise!

Leave a comment:

• sparkle80
    replied
    I think Daydream, debut, Music Box and TEOM are her best albums.

I really never cared for this album. It's one of my least favorites along with Memoirs, CHarmbraclet and Glitter. I actually probably liked more songs off Rainbow originally....

But I really liked "My all", one of my favorite ballads from her, as well as "close your eyes" and "whenever you call (I prefer the duet with Brian Mcknight on #1's though), "outside" , and of course "Honey". Wasn't actually that crazy for the song "Butterfly" itself.

Leave a comment:

• pollei
    replied
    'Honey' is really amazing.

Leave a comment:

• PosziMC2
    replied
    I love this album.My 6th fav. PUre magic mainly in The Roof and Outside.

The video for Roof is amazing.It's really show Mariah's directing =)

The Roof is the fav off the album then Outside and Honey/Fourth of July .For me its not the best album but one of the Best!

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    Originally posted by Dru4life
    Daydream and TEOM until the end.
    Butterfly is better.

Leave a comment:

• Dru4life
    replied
    Daydream and TEOM until the end.

Leave a comment:

• Cinnamon83199
    replied
    This is my favorite Mimi album by a long shot. It has special meaning to me, as I was a showgirl back then and all the girls kept telling me I look like Mariah (which I do resemble her a lot!) and I should do her songs, so I went out and got her new one (which at the time was in fact "Butterfly") and began doing some of the songs on it, namely "Honey", "My All (Morales Remix Radio Edit)" and "The Roof" (which I rocked!)

All y'all who don't love "BabyDoll" are really missing out!!! That's one of my top 5 songs on the album...sooooooo sexy!!!! She mixed in a bit of those early Timbaland/Aalyiah-influenced beats!

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    I love this album, but I think Daydream is still THE Mariah album.

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    How people can call this album boring but not Daydream is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    I like this album but I think Mimi has done better albums. e.g. Music Box, and Daydream.

Leave a comment:

• HazelEyes
    replied
    I know how many times will she be emancipated:

1. Daydream - having R&B influences
    2. Butterfly - new image after seperation
    3. Rainbow - first album after being divorced

And then again

4. The Emancipation of Mimi - title pretty much
    5. E+MC2 - mainly Side Effects.

Leave a comment:

• Destoroyah
    replied
    Originally posted by MCC4Life
    This is the most overrated album by Mariah, no doubt!
    I can't get into the "perfection" most fans see in it and believe me I've tried for months.
    Seconded. The only highlights of the album are tracks 1-6. What I think fans don't understand is that Babydoll, Close My Eyes and Whenever You Call drag the album down, so this album is far from perfection.

If I could compare to Mariah Carey to Robert Palmer (Heck, I will, I'm a hardcore Palmer fan), Daydream is like Riptide, it's solid all the way through and it has its own Addicted to Love (Fantasy), I Didn't Mean To Turn You On (Always Be My Baby) and Discipline of Love (Long Ago) with some decent filler.

Butterfly is like Heavy Nova. It contains the same formula, but it suffers from the artist becoming way too overconfident in what they think works commercially and what the record company thinks will sell. Aside from Simply Irresistible (Honey) and More Than Ever (Breakdown), the whole album is this shifting mess with no real direction, tip-toeing back and fourth between the artists' old genre and their new genre.

I'm not even going to go off on a tangent as to how Rainbow and Don't Explain contrast because both albums suck rocks.

(This same theory can be applied to Emancipation of Mimi, E=MC2 and Memoirs. I can also compare Mariah Carey's career and fandom to the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and fandom, but you don't want to hear that nerdy rant).

As for Mariah in the Late 1990s, I think that Daydream, Butterfly and Rainbow should really be looked at as a trilogy rather than standalone albums because they all follow the same track sequence pattern and all have similar artwork. Had she had control at the time, all three albums would be contained into one 3-disc album and it would be something similar to Smashing Pumpkins' 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness'.

Leave a comment:

• firefairyangel
    replied
    I'm not sure I'd necessarily call this her best, since I also think Daydream is extremely strong. I would definitely say it's one of her best though. I love this album, yet I find I'm not really compelled to listen to it very often either.

Leave a comment:

• MCC4Life
    replied
    Originally posted by firefly_86

This album marked Walter Afanasieff's absence from Mariah's discography onwards and her almost full turn to R&B/Hip Hop, hence the gradual loss of European fans/appeal/sales and the Adult Contemporary audience that was quite faithful to her until "Butterfly". More reasons for me not to like that album.
    But this album was mainly produced with Walter A? The first was he was absent from was Rainbow, so if anything surely that album is the one not to like.
    I knew I had not expressed it right. My English is not the best
    I meant that after Butterfly, basically there was no Walter Afanasieff and Mariah collaborations. I read that Mariah had actually fired him during the Butterfly recording sessions!

I know many fans wouldn't really like a reconciliation but I'd love this to happen soon or at some point anyway. No one can deny that these two had great chemistry in the studio. It's not random that after their falling out neither was able to successfully connect with another collaborator. Perhaps, Mariah did with Jermaine Dupri but still the Mariah-Walter gems outnumber the Mariah-JD ones.

Leave a comment:

• sambo9
    replied
    Originally posted by firefly_86

This album marked Walter Afanasieff's absence from Mariah's discography onwards and her almost full turn to R&B/Hip Hop, hence the gradual loss of European fans/appeal/sales and the Adult Contemporary audience that was quite faithful to her until "Butterfly". More reasons for me not to like that album.
    But this album was mainly produced with Walter A? The first was he was absent from was Rainbow, so if anything surely that album is the one not to like.
    Yeah, that is true - and it was actually "Rainbow" where I began to see a noticeable decline in quality of Mariah's work, so there is most certainly a link there.

In fact, Walter co-wrote as many songs on this record as he did with any other 90s Mariah album.

Leave a comment:

• firefly_86
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sambo9
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom92
    I think its unusual how everyone calls this her best album. As a very casual listener, looking down the tracklist, the only song I know is 'Honey'.
    Yeah, there were only really two major single releases from this album. This was the first album where Mariah didn't see much single success overseas. "Honey" and "My All" both did well on the Billboard Hot 100 though and they are two of her best selling singles to date there.

Leave a comment:

• sambo9
    replied
    I'm surprised to see that a lot of people think of "Honey" as one of the better songs on the album. I love the original "Honey" but the David Morales and So So Def remixes are far better IMO! She really sang her ass off on those two tracks.

I still think this album is perfection and I still feel as close to it now as I ever have done. "Breakdown" is still my favourite R&B song she's ever released, "Butterfly" is still one of my favourite songs of all-time and "Outside" is still the song that represents myself and my life the most. The only Mariah album that comes close to "Butterfly" quality-wise is "Daydream".

Leave a comment:

• TheRealest
    replied
    I really love this album. This is probably Mariah's most personal album beause some of the lyrics are so deep. "Honey" is probaby my favorite Mariah song of all-time. From the way she started singing until the end there was such a fierce attitude but a sweetness in her voice at the same time. From that to the end of the album there is so much consistency because every song has a story and is great. "Butterfly" is my favorute ballad by her also. The piano is great and I love how she starts off singing softly then by the end her vocals are amazing. The mellisma with the chior backing is just great. This album also shows how she can still shine over hip-hop beats with "The Roof" and Breakdown". This album feels so natural and I feel like it really showcased MARIAH CAREY as one greatest artists of all time.

Leave a comment:

• MCC4Life
    replied
    This is the most overrated album by Mariah, no doubt!
    I can't get into the "perfection" most fans see in it and believe me I've tried for months.

The only songs I love are "Honey" and the title track. The rest are either decent (My All, Whenever You Call, The Roof) or totally boring/forgettable (The Beautiful Ones, Babydoll, Breakdown, Outside, Close My Eyes, Fourth Of July) IMHO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X