Toni Braxton - Secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GetBack
    It's indeed one of the best R&B albums ever.

Comment

IMO this shits all over Beyoncé's entire discography
      Just this one album
      | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
        Just this one album
        This tbh

Beyoncé has a pretty weak catalogue considering how she's become one of the most important artists of her generation.

But Toni's debut album remains her best for me, but Secrets was a great follow up. It's just not as instant as her first. But a great record regardless.
        "Dion's voice glides effortlessly from deep whispers to dead-on high notes, a sweet siren that combines force with grace."
        - Time

Comment

Originally posted by dhenapie
          Just this one album
          This tbh

Beyoncé has a pretty weak catalogue considering how she's become one of the most important artists of her generation.

But Toni's debut album remains her best for me, but Secrets was a great follow up. It's just not as instant as her first. But a great record regardless.
          My honest interpretation of Bey's discography (which I like for the most part):
          DIL - Mature album for a young artist and her debut. Just a bit filler if you ask me
          BDay - Noise and forgettable to most people. Besides Irreplaceable, most people know nothing else
          IASF - Good album but was extremely commercialized that cheapened it to me
          4 - Brilliant!
          Beyoncé - Excellent album and blown away that every song had a video
          Lemonade - Good album but doesn't beat her self titled

But this is the Toni thread
          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

I don't see any problem with Beyoncé's discography, she obviously had to build a name for herself and become mainstream to stand out which all worked for her to cement her brand eventually. Imagine if she had no "Crazy in Love", "If I Were a Boy", "Single Ladies", "Halo", "Baby Boy" or "Irreplaceable", she would probably be in the same boat as LeToya and Kelly Rowland. She needed that pop side to survive too.

R&B in the nineties is incomparable to R&B in the 2000s. In the nineties, it was more of a movement, a representation of the genre. A lot of the 2000s R&B was geared for the Hot 100. Many 2000s R&B albums mostly concentrated on way too mainstream sex-selling pop meets R&B songs that easily clicked on the charts which is why people don't remember their 2000s albums as much as those classic 1990s R&B albums.

Comment

R&B in the nineties is incomparable to R&B in the 2000s. In the nineties, it was more of a movement, a representation of the genre. A lot of the 2000s R&B was geared for the Hot 100. Many 2000s R&B albums mostly concentrated on way too mainstream sex-selling pop meets R&B songs that easily clicked on the charts which is why people don't remember their 2000s albums as much as those classic 1990s R&B albums.
              Well said

Comment

Going for $4 directly from reprint label
                http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/newsdetail.php?nid=257

Both Secrets and her debut (each)
                I already have both though but it's cool yo!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dhenapie
                  Just this one album
                  This tbh

But Toni's debut album remains her best for me, but Secrets was a great follow up.
                  +1
                  My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Beyoncé obviously had to build a name for herself and become mainstream to stand out which all worked for her to cement her brand eventually. Imagine if she had no "If I Were a Boy", "Halo" or "Irreplaceable"
                    Without those three songs I wouldn't have liked Beyonce at all. She hardly has any other song that can even come close to a Toni Braxton song IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Nippian93
                      It's indeed one of the best R&B albums ever.
                      True, listening now

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay
                        Beyoncé obviously had to build a name for herself and become mainstream to stand out which all worked for her to cement her brand eventually. Imagine if she had no "If I Were a Boy", "Halo" or "Irreplaceable"
                        Without those three songs I wouldn't have liked Beyonce at all. She hardly has any other song that can even come close to a Toni Braxton song IMO.
                        Beyoncé music is too current. Toni is timeless. That's the difference.

Comment

Her first two albums>>>>

You can simply play them through without skipping a trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Controlfreak
                            Her first two albums>>>>

You can simply play them through without skipping a trick.
                            Yes. Absolutely. Each track was so consistent with her sound and classic voice.
                            Can't wait for a new album later this year. I believe.

Comment

You're Makin' Me High

Comment

I LOVE this album so much.

#AlbumCupimpact

Comment

In The Late Of Night is so good! I'm only now finding out it was written by Jon B.
                                  Floped and localed

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity
                                    In The Late Of Night is so good! I'm only now finding out it was written by Jon B.
                                    Oh wow I didn't know that. It's one of my favs from that album. Classic dramatic soul ballad.
                                    Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Replayed the rerelease from last year. The double disc. I wish we had more of these 90s albums rereleases. I'd love Brandy debut with extra tracks including the remix of SUIMR with LL Cool J, Brokenhearted with Wanya, IWBD remix.

Comment

So many great R&B artists from the 1990s, I cannot imagine not living through that era!

This only had two big singles ("You're Making Me High" and "Un-Break My Heart") based on chart performance in the Hot 100 and it went 8X Platinum in the US. Wow!

Moderate hits like "I Don't Want To" and "How Could an Angel Break My Heart" are amazing as well!

I am so glad that the re-release included the remix with Babyface! If she was still with LaFace (if that label still exists), they probably could have put in some unreleased material that didn't make the cut.

Comment

^ They did release an unreleased song at some point: The Little Things.
                                          I love that song although I do understand as it sounds too much like I Don't Want To.

Comment

I wonder how many more R&B albums will eventually reach Diamond!

Comment

Ok sis!
                                              Originally posted by beredy
                                              When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Classic.

Comment

Come thru Toni
                                                  Diva!!!

Comment

Welcome to the Diamond club of divas, Toni!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X