Michael Jackson - Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Jackson - Dangerous

Have to say I think it's a bit of a shame this album hasn't been as in demand as others from his back catalogue as this is my favourite Michael album, possibly because it came out at an age where I was old enough to listen to it, where as the others were either before I was born or I think I would've been about 2 when Bad came out,

1. Jam
    2. Why You Wanna Trip On Me
    3. In The Closet
    4. She Drives Me Wild
    5. Remember The Time
    6. Can't Let Her Get Away
    7. Heal The World
    8. Black Or White
    9. Who Is It
    10. Give In To Me
    11. Will You Be There
    12. Keep The Faith
    13. Gone Too Soon
    14. Dangerous

Heal The World and Black & White probably both in my top 3 Jackson songs, also loved Who Is It, Remember The Time and In The Closet.
    1 Ministers De La Funk |2 James Morrison|3 Gryffin |4 Wet Leg |5 NOTD

'Black Or White' and 'Remember The Time' are my favs!
    I actually own this album, I got it from my dad
    Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Jackson's most magical and mysterious album. The album that musically made of him a living legend. "Dangerous" found Jackson at the height of his popularity, the height of his artistic experimentation, and the height of his creativity.

A wonderful masterpiece.
      BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & BARBRA STREISAND celebrating their 9th #1 albums this year. Still making history...

Comment

While I think this is MJ's worst album, that doesn't mean I don't love it.
        To get the negative out the way, it just sounds very samey, especially the beats on each song. I don't like his voice on some songs either (Jam for example). Lyrically though, it's fantastic! And Remember The Time is my 3rd favourite MJ song.

Also love In The Closet, She Drives Me Wild, Black & White, Give In To Me & Will You Be There.
        what's going on?

Comment

Such an amazing album.
          I'm running a survivor for this album soon, btw.

I think this is definately MJ's most diverse album. A real mix of rock, pop and R&B.
          I think this album has aged SO well personally. I mean, I listen to Remember The Time and it's just crazy to think it is 18 years old.

The only thing I have with this album is that the singles are truly the best tracks on the album. The album tracks, for me, aren't as good as the singles released from this epic album.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycool
            The only thing I have with this album is that the singles are truly the best tracks on the album. The album tracks, for me, aren't as good as the singles released from this epic album.
            That would be tracks 2, 4, 6 and 14 then, yes? IIRC, all the other 10 tracks were singles!

An absolutely fantastic album - one I very definitely remember growing up to (though not as much as "Bad"). Favourites for me would be "Heal The World", "Gone Too Soon", "Black Or White" and "Remember The Time"

Comment

This album is amazing, my favorite.
              'I wish the whole world could see you like I do'

Rest In Peace Michael

Comment

To be honest, Dangerous was the album where I began to lose interest (but HIStory did reconnect me). I remember how much we all were waiting for this to come out, but when we got it, IMO it was nowhere as good as the material that came before it. I always thought this was the album where his ego caught up to the music and it was just too over the top for it's good. I always preferred the material on HIStory, with that album it felt like he was speaking from the heart and he wasn't just trying like hell to outdo Thriller.
                My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

It's an amazing album. RTT is my favorite song, it sounds sooooo good
                  Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Originally posted by matthew_dixon
                    Originally posted by crazycool
                    That would be tracks 2, 4, 6 and 14 then, yes? IIRC, all the other 10 tracks were singles!
                    True. But I still stand by what I say - "Bad" and "Thriller" had classic songs from start to finish. The album tracks on "Dangerous" weren't any near as good as the singles released IMO.

This was always my favourite Michael Jackson album. But now I'm not so sure, it's just too hard to choose.

Comment

Originally posted by carlos06
                      Jackson's most magical and mysterious album. The album that musically made of him a living legend. "Dangerous" found Jackson at the height of his popularity, the height of his artistic experimentation, and the height of his creativity.

A wonderful masterpiece.
                      Word! Couldnta said it better myself.

I think, like Shane, I connected with this album because it was the first huge MJ period that I can remember ('Bad' being released before I could walk).
                      Addict. Advocate. Author. Artist.
                      My journey of R&B, addiction and superheroes....
                      www.rawirijames.com
                      #LostBoy album and novel OUT NOW!

Comment

Yea, I think age plays a big factor into it. I was out of diapers and 3-4-5 when the Thriller era happened, and MJ was a very popular figure for those of us who watched cartoons, etc... and I was 8-9 when Bad happened and got to experience the era pretty well for an 8 year old, getting to see him in concert and everything that tour, so by Dangerous I was 12 and by then, MJ just wasn't quite as exciting to me anymore as he'd been in the past. IMO, 91-92 wasn't the best time for 1980's icons except for U2 and Achtung Baby/ZooTV, but they were always more of an alt-rock band at heart so they were able to transition into the 90's without ever looking passe, whereas MJ, Prince, Madonna, George Michael and so many others who ruled the 80's with an iron fist lost a bit of their luster by 1992 (even though Madonna regained it almost immediately after Bedtime Stories, but with the Erotica album, good as it was, it seemed like Madonna had gone out of fashion sadly).

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails
                          Yea, I think age plays a big factor into it. I was out of diapers and 3-4-5 when the Thriller era happened, and MJ was a very popular figure for those of us who watched cartoons, etc... and I was 8-9 when Bad happened and got to experience the era pretty well for an 8 year old, getting to see him in concert and everything that tour, so by Dangerous I was 12 and by then, MJ just wasn't quite as exciting to me anymore as he'd been in the past. IMO, 91-92 wasn't the best time for 1980's icons except for U2 and Achtung Baby/ZooTV, but they were always more of an alt-rock band at heart so they were able to transition into the 90's without ever looking passe, whereas MJ, Prince, Madonna, George Michael and so many others who ruled the 80's with an iron fist lost a bit of their luster by 1992 (even though Madonna regained it almost immediately after Bedtime Stories, but with the Erotica album, good as it was, it seemed like Madonna had gone out of fashion sadly).
                          Dangerous was a huge success though, comparable to Bad. I think the real "beginning of the end" was History (critically and commercially).

Comment

Dangerous was big, but I do think it didn't truly prove it had legs in the US until he went on the huge promo run in early 93 when he did the Super Bowl, Oprah and everything and sent the album back up the chart. Before that happened, Dangerous had been seen as an underperformer (not a flop at all as it'd sold 4 million by the end of 1992), it was all the things he did in early 93 that rescued the album and put it on Bad's level, before that, it would've topped at at 5 million or so, which isn't bad at all, but would've been a few million less than Sony and MJ expected..

Comment

Dangerous was big, but I do think it didn't truly prove it had legs in the US until he went on the huge promo run in early 93 when he did the Super Bowl, Oprah and everything and sent the album back up the chart. Before that happened, Dangerous had been seen as an underperformer (not a flop at all as it'd sold 4 million by the end of 1992), it was all the things he did in early 93 that rescued the album and put it on Bad's level, before that, it would've topped at at 5 million or so, which isn't bad at all, but would've been a few million less than Sony and MJ expected..
                              Yeah but as you know MJ was already bigger overseas than in the US by the time Dangerous was released. And, outside of the US and the UK, Dangerous must have sold more than Bad actually (overall they both sold around 30 million copies), and it has nothing to do with Oprah or the Super Bowl Also, don't forget that the controversy from late 1993 probably prevented it to sell even more.

Comment

most diverse&sang from heart songs on this album. i love Give Into Me! so meaningful and i think he should have done more rock songs like those instead of once in an album (beat it, dirty diana, give into me)

Comment

This is my favourite MJ album, SO many great tunes on it! 'Who Is It?', 'Jam', 'Black Or White', 'Remember The Time' among many others! The 'Bad' album is my next favourite!
                                  My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig
                                    Yeah but as you know MJ was already bigger overseas than in the US by the time Dangerous was released. And, outside of the US and the UK, Dangerous must have sold more than Bad actually (overall they both sold around 30 million copies), and it has nothing to do with Oprah or the Super Bowl Also, don't forget that the controversy from late 1993 probably prevented it to sell even more.
                                    I also think the fact he never toured the US after Bad hurt him. I think the tour played a big part in keeping Bad in the top 5 for so long, because it didn't fall out of the top 5 in the US until he had finished his US leg. Dangerous would've been even bigger if he'd done a US leg of that tour, even moreso with HIStory. It wasn't like 1983 where a new MJ album would continue selling mass numbers just because it's Michael Jackson and a tour would've probably added an extra million to each tally.

Comment

I also think the fact he never toured the US after Bad hurt him. I think the tour played a big part in keeping Bad in the top 5 for so long, because it didn't fall out of the top 5 in the US until he had finished his US leg. Dangerous would've been even bigger if he'd done a US leg of that tour, even moreso with HIStory. It wasn't like 1983 where a new MJ album would continue selling mass numbers just because it's Michael Jackson and a tour would've probably added an extra million to each tally.
                                      The truth is, it's not Dangerous which underperformed in the US, but Bad That may be one of the reasons why he stopped touring the US after 1988, because he was disappointed with the sales of Bad over there.

Comment

The truth is, it's not Dangerous which underperformed in the US, but Bad That may be one of the reasons why he stopped touring the US after 1988, because he was disappointed with the sales of Bad over there.
                                        It's funny that Sony and MJ had such hopes for Bad. I don't think anyone expected another 26 million seller. Bad could've been bigger than it was, but it was still a very big album. It sold 8 million and had five #1 singles, it wasn't on Thriller territory but it was certainly a hit. But I am sure MJ was aiming for 16 million and 10 #1's

Comment

It's funny that Sony and MJ had such hopes for Bad. I don't think anyone expected another 26 million seller. Bad could've been bigger than it was, but it was still a very big album. It sold 8 million and had five #1 singles, it wasn't on Thriller territory but it was certainly a hit. But I am sure MJ was aiming for 16 million and 10 #1's
                                          I don't think they expected 26 million, but at least 13-14 million. Overseas, it sold almost as much as Thriller after all, while stateside it sold three times less than Thriller, so I can see why they were disappointed. I mean, wasn't he supposed to be a living God or something during the mid-80's ? He couldn't be satisfied with selling as much as Whitesnake or Bobby Brown.

Comment

I don't think they expected 26 million, but at least 13-14 million. Overseas, it sold almost as much as Thriller after all, while stateside it sold three times less than Thriller, so I can see why they were disappointed. I mean, wasn't he supposed to be a living God or something during the mid-80's ? He couldn't be satisfied with selling as much as Whitesnake or Bobby Brown.
                                            I think the biggest difference with Thriller and Bad was the competition. When Thriller came out, MJ was pretty much peerless, by the time Springsteen and Prince got huge in mid-1984, Thriller had run it's course. Yet in 1987-1988, instead of being by and large the #1 top superstar in music, he was one of about five or six massive superstars along with U2, Def Leppard, George Michael, Whitney Houston and Guns N' Roses (I'd be inclined to say Madonna too but True Blue was on its last legs when Bad was released and then she'd hibernate for most of 1988). The type of world domination with Thriller should've never been expected because there were so many other artists who had also benefitted from MTV and everything by 87-88. He never was quite on the level he was with Bad in the US afterwards.

Comment

Well what could they have done to make Bad come even to half of what Thriller sold? They released NINE singles from the album, did a huge tour, built a phenomenal hype around the album leading up to its release, apparently. Thriller's ASTRONOMICAL U.S. success was clearly a one-off and that was that. Of course he was going to have an icon status and at least several more smash albums to come off the back of Thriller's record book success but realistically nothing was going to match it in the States.

Back to Dangerous, I think it's his second best album (after Bad)... it was very CURRENT (at that time) and fresh but MJ put his own stamp on it. For example, much of it is New Jack Swing (the sound nearly everyone was playing with at the time) but it was still blatantly MJ. My favorite songs on the album are a tie between "In the Closet" and "Give in to Me"
                                              Check out my new Michael Jackson top 50 countdown!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreams
                                                Well what could they have done to make Bad come even to half of what Thriller sold? They released NINE singles from the album, did a huge tour, built a phenomenal hype around the album leading up to its release, apparently. Thriller's ASTRONOMICAL U.S. success was clearly a one-off and that was that. Of course he was going to have an icon status and at least several more smash albums to come off the back of Thriller's record book success but realistically nothing was going to match it in the States.
                                                I agree. I would compare it to Spielberg and E.T., he's had some huge blockbusters such as Jurassic Park and many others in the years since, but no matter how many $200-300 grossers he makes, the impact E.T. had is never going to happen again. It's the same reason why George Lucas basically bowed out of making anything that isn't Star Wars, he knows nothing will ever make that impact again. But Spielberg keeps on doing his thing, Lucas doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreams
                                                  Well what could they have done to make Bad come even to half of what Thriller sold? They released NINE singles from the album, did a huge tour, built a phenomenal hype around the album leading up to its release, apparently.
                                                  You just explained why Bad's sales were disappointing Indeed, they released nine singles (including five #1's) and there was a gigantic amount of hype and promotion around this album, and despite all this it "only" sold 8 million copies, while in a lot of countries it almost matched Thriller's success, and sometimes it even surpassed it (like in the UK).
                                                  You've got to realize that, outside of the US, Bad must be the 2nd best selling album of all time (behind Thriller) while in the US it's not even in the top 100 !

Anyway, back to topic My 5 favorite songs from Dangerous :

In The Closet
                                                  Give In To Me (that guitar solo )
                                                  Jam
                                                  Remember The Time
                                                  Who Is It

Comment

Working...
                                                  X