No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey - Music Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Box was the first album I ever got...

its legendary, everything fades away is the best song on it.

Dreamlover 6/10
    Hero 10/10
    AYNAF 8/10
    Music Box 7/10
    NTIK 8,5/10
    NFY 5/10
    Without you 10/10
    JTJYOA 5/10
    IBTAY 3/10
    AIEW 10/10
    EFA 10/10
    My Chart

Comment

I love "Just To Hold You Once Again"! It's breath-takingly beautiful.

I do agree though that "I've Been Thinking..." is probably the worst track on the album.

Comment

Sales are legendary, but the tracks are quite easily forgettable IMO - except for Dreamlover, AYNAF & EFA. Her cover of WY is great too. I'm not saying that the melodies aren't pretty but it's kinda boring & corny.
        They can't compete with MC
        The whole entire world can tell
        That you love yourself some me

Comment

I haven't heard this album yet :( Only the main singles!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpguy
            -Dreamlover
            -Hero
            -Anytime You Need A Friend
            -Without You
            -Everything Fades Away

The rest is soulless & forgettable IMO. I think this album has no vintage, so it kinda grew old badly.

Comment

Originally posted by winny
              Originally posted by jpguy
              -Dreamlover
              -Hero
              -Anytime You Need A Friend
              -Without You
              -Everything Fades Away

The rest is soulless & forgettable IMO. I think this album has no vintage, so it kinda grew old badly.
              it really does depend on what kind of sound you're looking for, tho

as I've mentioned before, this is one of my favorite Mariah albums, and there isn't a track on it that I strongly dislike so if one prefers the more raw, soulful sound of Emotions, then best steer away from this...but if polished pop is more up your alley, I don't think this material is forgettable at all (not to say there isn't any "filler" material, but even those tracks I find pretty worthwhile)

the title track is among my all-time Mariah faves
              last.fm

Comment

Well yes, phoenix98 is right, if you're more into pop, Music Box is the right choice.

Comment

I cannot get past the ballads on the second side of Music Box and the second side of Emotions because they DRAG. 'Till The End Of Time is torture and Just To Hold You Once Again is a big WTF moment in Mariah's catalog.

And an aside, who are all these people that say "Urban Mariah" started with Butterfly? It clearly began with Daydream, most of the upbeat songs are a reflection of the Urban sound in 1995-1996. I'm so sick of hearing that Butterfly was the beginning of "Urban Mariah". Ugh. I swear that fans give that album entirely too much credit. Butterfly has its moments, but it still has a lot of boring AC ballads on it. :-?
                  Destoroyah: Generic Godzilla Villain

Comment

Her Worst album!
                    If between "Born This Way" and "Express yourself" one song is reductive then I easily choose EY!

Comment

Originally posted by Tragical
                      Her Worst album!
                      God forgive you for saying such sacrilege

Comment

The songs are kind of hit and miss. :-?
                        She has some great career highlights like Without You. But the rest is snoozefest.
                        Alternative Survivor, vote here:
                        http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70738

Comment

Originally posted by Tragical
                          Her Worst album!
                          In a certain way, yes it's one of her worst. The production work is fine, though.

Comment

Probably Mariah's most overrated album imo - it's not a bad one, but it's not "deserving" of all the sales it got I think still it has some of my favorite MC tracks like Music Box, All I've Ever Wanted, Now That I Know, Just To Hold You Once Again, Never Forget You and Dreamlover.
                            Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

Massive album, massive superstar. I love Music Box. It was my mother's favourite music back in the days.

"Dreamlover", "Hero" and "Without Yiu" are well deserved #1 hits and the album itself is solid. Walter Afanasieff is a genious.
                              Mariah Carey scores 6 months at #1 in the 5th most populous country in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by JMS
                                Walter Afanasieff is a genious.
                                Too bad Mariah can't see it, these days. :(
                                If you don't get on the ride, you won't experience the adventure...

Comment

Originally posted by MCC4Life
                                  Originally posted by JMS
                                  agreed a reunion with those 2 will be legendary
                                  Proceed with Caution

Comment

"Anytime You Need A Friend" >> The rest of this album.

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC
                                      "Anytime You Need A Friend" >> The rest of this album.

Comment

Originally posted by JMS
                                        Perhaps, but in her defense he totally threw her under the bus when she probably needed him most. So you can't blame her.

Comment

Originally posted by firefly_86
                                          Originally posted by JMS
                                          Perhaps, but in her defense he totally threw her under the bus when she probably needed him most. So you can't blame her.
                                          Do you knew what he did to her?

Comment

Originally posted by JMS
                                            What did he do?

Comment

Originally posted by HazelEyes
                                              Originally posted by JMS
                                              What did he do?
                                              He sided with Tommy and critized her publically

Comment

[quote=naughtynae]
                                                Originally posted by HazelEyes
                                                Originally posted by "JMS":3npmyogo
                                                What did he do?
                                                He sided with Tommy and critized her publically[/quote:3npmyogo]

Why?

Comment

^^Walter said that she was trying to be the next Mary J. Blige or something along those lines. In reality they fell out due to personal issues. Walter allegedly let Tommy know of some stuff Mariah had confided in him. A fan from another forum had told me that Walter alerted Tommy regarding Mariah's intentions to radically shift genres. Mariah allegedly wanted Butterfly to be a full blown R&B/Hip Hop turn but Tommy put his foot down and demanded some AC tracks to be included in the record.

I'll never give up hope that Mariah and Walter will eventually reconnect. I know his style would be considered washed up these days, but he and Mariah have made magic together. I can't help but wonder how "I Wanna Know What Love Is" would've turned if he was the one producing it, probably another incredibly powerful "Without You". Even though his style is not in nowadays I'm sure he could make Mariah's voice shine. If they were to reunite we would get some pure, pop torch ballads Mariah hasn't offered since like "Glitter" (Lead The Way, Reflections, Never Too Far). Mariah has the best chemistry with Walter compared to any other producer she has worked with throughout her career, whether she likes to admit it or not not. Walter was asked about a possible reunion and he seemed more than willing:

http://mcarchives.com/news/spec.asp?id=8088

Anyway

I was listening to the album again earlier which is why I looked for this very thread. I love this album. It's my 4th favorite Mariah album. Mariah was on top of the world with this, it was then when she became a superstar.

Dreamlover - One of her best pop uptempos. The whistles are amazing. I love the version with the intro the most.

Hero - Sorry but I think this is Mariah's most overrated song ever. I find it corny although I can understand how many people relate to it. Lyrical message aside, I never got into its melody. I find it basic and nothing special. I prefer the re-recorded 2009 version. I feel more soul in Mariah's voice.

Anytime You Need A Friend - Absolutely wonderful. A gospel gem in Mariah's discography. Her vocals are out of this world. I wish she would sing it once again. Last time she did was in this short acapella clip I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFBA1...os=k-RLDr_sakc

Music Box - I think this song is underrated. It's one of the first songs I got into off of this album. The melody is so sweet and peaceful. This song is surprisingly a non vocal performance.

Now That I Know - Such a lively uptempo. I love the energy in this. I had read that Mariah wrote this for Tommy, lol.

Never Forget You - Most people seem to dislike this but I really like it. The vocals after the bridge are incredible.

Without You - The very first Mariah song I fell in love with back when I was 6 years old. Her vocals are so wonderful against a bold, well structured melody. One of those cases where I dare say the cover surpassed the original. I was so happy to see Mariah sing this again recently in concert.

Just To Hold You Once Again - Breathtaking song. I'd die if Mariah made a song in this vain in the future. The bridge is its strongest part if you ask me. The vocals after it are wonderful.

I've Been Thinking About You - Most people consider this the weakest track of the album. I personally disagree. I still enjoy it and never skip it when I'm playing "Music Box". I love its bridge because Mariah sounds so sassy.

All I've Ever Wanted - Probably my most favorite song of the album. Sam was right when he described it as "a vocal marathon" in the previous page. The lovely melody, the sentimental lyrics, the great bridge and Mariah's truly soaring vocals during and after it, definitely make this song one of Mariah's stand out pop ballads.

Everything Fades Away and Do You Think Of Me are great B-Sides of the album and fan favorites. I prefer Do You Think Of Me the most.

The videos from this era were nothing special IMO. My favorite is "Dreamlover", Mariah looks so cheerful, playful and naturally beautiful.

All in all, an amazing album by Mariah. Vocally, musically and lyrically "Music Box" is a great effort. Her best selling and one of the best selling albums ever. And rightfully so.

Comment

^I completely agree on everything you just wrote except for the part about Hero.

The original version is excellent. I got really sick of it at one time too but now I love it again. I can feel the emotion in her voice and her vocals are powerful but kind or restrained at the same time. I hate the live version and the 2009 version though... They seem really dull IMO.

Has anyone noticed that Mariah ALWAYS has a more urban track on all her albums? I've Been Thinking About You is the one on Music Box. The beat is not typically "poppy" like the other stuff on the album and it almost sounds hip-hop inspired to me.

I used to think this album ws boring and dull until recently and now I think its AMAZING.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X