Destiny's Child - The Writing’s On The Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destiny's Child - The Writing’s On The Wall

The Writing's on the Wall is the sophomore album by American girl group Destiny's Child, released by Columbia on July 27, 1999 in the United States. The album featured production from Missy Elliott, Kevin "She'kspere" Briggs, Rodney Jerkins, and Beyoncé among others and featured guest appearances from Missy Elliott and R&B trio Next. The Writing's on The Wall spawned four singles, including the number one-hits Bills, Bills, Bills, and Say My Name, the Beyoncé-penned Jumpin' Jumpin' and the Top 40 hit Bug a Boo.

The album saw the group taking creative control from writing and producing their own tracks working closely with producer Kevin "She'kspere" Briggs and singer-songwriter Xscape member Kandi Burruss. Bills, Bills, Bills and Bug a Boo were among the first songs written and produced by the group.

The album debut at number six on the Billboard 200 chart on August 14, 1999 with first-week sales of 132,000 units and later peaked at number five on May 6, 2000. It earned Destiny's Child five grammy nomination for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals (twice), Best R&B Song, Best R&B Album, and Song of the Year. The Writing's on The Wall was certified 9x platinum by the RIAA on November 6, 2001.
    Released: July 27th 1999!

Can't believe this album is 10 years old! I remember buying it. It was the first DC album I've bought and I fell in love with it instantly. As of today I still think this album is their strongest effort. For me it outshines 'Survivor' and 'Destiny Fulfilled' easily.

The album was so succesful, looking back I cannot believe they've only released 4 singles of it. IMO there was much potential! I really wanted them to release 'So Good', it's still one of my DC favorites.

As far as the singles from this album, the group released some of their finest. 'Bills, Bills, Bills' and especially 'Jumpin' Jumpin' are amazing!
    Big.Big.Booty.

Yeah I remember exactly when I got this album too - I somehow persuaded my mum to buy it for me from the Tesco in Helston!

I think this was definitely the best album they ever released, although it does contain a couple of filler tracks.

"Bills Bills Bills", "So Good", "Confessions", Bug-A-Boo", "Hey Ladies, "Temptation", "Jumpin' Jumpin'", "Where'd You Go", "Say My Name", "Now That She's Gone"... All amazing songs, and still my favourites by them.

The album is very Beyonce-heavy, obviously, but at the time I was such a fan of her's that it didn't really bother me. I remember thinking how incredibly talented she was and how amazing her voice was. Needless to say she's still all of those things now, I just don't enjoy her solo material as much.
    "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

This is the only DC album I own! After this, I went off them and actually kinda hated them until Lose My Breath.

But yeah this alb is pretty good, I got it for Christmas in 1999, we got it late in NZ

I love Jumpin Jumpin, easily my fave DC song ever. Temptation is cool too, and so are the other singles.
      I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

Comment

By far their best work and one of the best R&B albums of alltime. 4 awesome singles and full of other gems such as "So Good" "Temptation" and "Sweet 16"
        1 SG Lewis |2 Miley Cyrus |3 Paul Woolford|4 NOTD |5 Zero 7

Comment

The singles from the album were amazing, and some of their best work. But overall, I got bored of this album.

Destiny Fulfilled is my favourite album from them.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycool
            The singles from the album were amazing, and some of their best work. But overall, I got bored of this album.

Destiny Fulfilled is my favourite album from them.
            Yeah! Too many fillers!

Comment

A modern R&B classic! So many great tracks and I don't think there's any filler on here at all. Definitley their best album IMHO. I much preferred the original lineup!
              Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

OMG "Bills, Bills, Bills" was MAH SAWNNNN (my song) back in the day!!!

Comment

Em I bought this one on the strength of the singles (especially "Say My Name" which is the best thing they have done together or solo IMO) and, well, I discovered they were no TLC, other than the singles there is one more song I liked and the rest of the album are fillers. I haven't played it for years and I never played it much to be honest
                  jio CHARTS NOW: 19/10/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...3#post10484283

Comment

"Say My Name" is probably the most remembered song from this album. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC
                      OMG "Bills, Bills, Bills" was MAH SAWNNNN (my song) back in the day!!!
                      my favorite song from this album too
                      I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Comment

Loved this album to death on first listen! I bought this album on the first day that it was released. Loved the overall concept, songs and the vocals. I'm starting to like Destiny's Fufilled a little more but this album is still classic DC. It's funny because Say my name was one of my least favorite tracks but an instant fan favorite. I think my favorites were Now that's she's gone, Where did she go, Bugaboo and Jumpin, Jumpin.

Comment

I totally agree with those who said this album is basically: singles+ hella lot of fillers ( except So Good - love that song). There would be nothing like Survivor and Destiny Fullfilled
                          Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Comment

So Good should have been a single! It would have done well!

Comment

This album is a classic! I love every single track from it. They could've released so much from it

Where'd You Go
                              Hey Ladies
                              Temptation
                              Confessions
                              She Don't Love You

ALL could've been singles!
                              I also ADORE the cover for this album. Just looks so good.
                              CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Comment

I can't believe they didn't include "Can't Help Myself" in the standard edition of this album! It featured solo vocals from all four (Beyonce, Latavia, Kelly, LeToya) and the song is better than any of the slow songs here!

Comment

I love If you leave, real old school classic

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack
                                    I can't believe they didn't include "Can't Help Myself" in the standard edition of this album! It featured solo vocals from all four (Beyonce, Latavia, Kelly, LeToya) and the song is better than any of the slow songs here!
                                    OMG! Just heard it
                                    Fiyah!
                                    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Originally posted by preyan
                                      OMG! Just heard it
                                      Fiyah!
                                      +1

It could have worked as a single as well!

Comment

The group’s second album was released on this day in 1999!

"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

One of the best conceptual albums of all time for the following reasons:
                                          1. Thou shall not hate.
                                          2. Thou shall pay bills.
                                          3. Thou shall confess.
                                          4. Thou shall not bug.
                                          5. Thou shall not give in to temptation.
                                          6. Thou shall not think you got it like that.
                                          7. Thou shall not leave me wondering.
                                          8. Thou shall know when (s)he’s got to go.
                                          9. Thou shall move on to the next.
                                          10. Thou shall get your party on.
                                          11. Thou shall say my name.
                                          12. Thou shall know (s)he can’t love you.
                                          13. If thou can wait, then thou shall stay.
                                          14. Thou shall cherish life.

Comment

I think it's too traditional / soulful / mature sounding for this sassy album. The Writing's On The Wall was released when R&B songs like "No Scrubs" and "Pop Ya Collar" were THE current sound. This would have flopped as a single for sure.

[youtube:2r47neoq]dKewK85PuCk[/youtube:2r47neoq]

Comment

Originally posted by ludichris
                                              One of the best conceptual albums of all time for the following reasons:
                                              1. Thou shall not hate.
                                              2. Thou shall pay bills.
                                              3. Thou shall confess.
                                              4. Thou shall not bug.
                                              5. Thou shall not give in to temptation.
                                              6. Thou shall not think you got it like that.
                                              7. Thou shall not leave me wondering.
                                              8. Thou shall know when (s)he’s got to go.
                                              9. Thou shall move on to the next.
                                              10. Thou shall get your party on.
                                              11. Thou shall say my name.
                                              12. Thou shall know (s)he can’t love you.
                                              13. If thou can wait, then thou shall stay.
                                              14. Thou shall cherish life.
                                              True. I just hated that tacky ass intro.

Comment

Happy Anniversary !
                                                Whitney Houston

Comment

Originally posted by Nippian93
                                                  Happy Anniversary !

Comment

Working...
                                                  X