No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey - Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my fav from the album is Sent From Up Above. Beautiful song.
    P=MC2's Top 20
    Originally posted by Merci
    Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

I love the whole album but "Vanishing" is in my top 5 Mariah songs. Simply breathtaking.

Comment

Originally posted by PosziMC2
        "Mariah Carey" is my least fav album from her

Emotions is so much better.She didnt get a chance to show off her as a producer... bad :-?
        I love Mimi and was a major Stan back in the early days but Emotions was a dull album by comparison. The Wind is a meandering mess and the C&C collaborations outside the singles were faceless bland dance fare. I still remember riding down to the record store to get the CD release day and getting it home playing it and thinking beyond the songs that became singles and Until The End Of Time there wasn't much going for the disc.

Comment

My 3rd fave Mariah's album. Her best vocally. I really like Vision OF Love, Love Takes Time, All In Your Mind, and Prisoner. Some songs sound extremely dated though, for example, There's Got To Be A Way and You Need Me But, still, not bad songs.

Comment

I don't know why she never mentioned her sister ever again after this album...

:(

Comment

One of the best debut albums by an singer-songwriter. Ever.
              I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
              --Katy Perry

Comment

Hey guys, I just made a write-up and ranking of Mariah's albums based on my preference.

I hope you guys check it out and comment on it!

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... 56#3289256

Thanks!

Comment

I have been listening a lot to this record and i absolutely LOVE this album. It is just so well produced! ( better than Emotions)

Hearing her nailing those F7s at the end of "All In Your Mind" is one of the most magical moments in recording history. This album is in my personal Top3 of Mariah's albums.

I also love "Vanishing" and Mariah even produced this track all on her own at the age of 19!

Comment

Originally posted by jio
                    ...PS: Mariah was the perfect pop star in my book in the first half of the '90s. She had a special magic and charisma which was breathtaking
                    Charisma?! What charisma?!

She had no personality, no spark.
                    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
                    --Katy Perry

Comment

Originally posted by Titan3510
                      Originally posted by jio
                      ...PS: Mariah was the perfect pop star in my book in the first half of the '90s. She had a special magic and charisma which was breathtaking

Completely disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne
                        Originally posted by jio

Completely disagree.
                        Well, ok, I take part of my comment back. She did have a certain charm about her but...Mariah (I mean the real Mariah) was locked away for only those who really, really knew her.

I don't understand: so you think that she lost a certain magic about her when she finally felt comfortable to be Mimi.

Mariah was "walking on eggshells" during the Mariah Carey era. She was bashfully adorable but come on...she was a grown woman. 6 1/2 years is an abnormally long time to warm up to people.
                        --Katy Perry

Comment

I started to like this album more! You Need Me and Alone In Love are epic!
                          P=MC2's Top 20

Comment

Originally posted by jio

Completely disagree.
                            Agreed. (With Wayne!)

Just because she wasn't chugging a bottle of "champagne, darling" in every show back then, doesn't mean she had no personality. She used to seem really passionate about what she sung, whereas now all she can do is concentrate on when she's supposed to start lip-syncing.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo9
                              Originally posted by jio

Completely disagree.
                              Agreed. (With Wayne!)

Just because she wasn't chugging a bottle of "champagne, darling" in every show back then, doesn't mean she had no personality. She used to seem really passionate about what she sung, whereas now all she can do is concentrate on when she's supposed to start lip-syncing.
                              1) I think you got Mariah confused with somebody else who relies on gimmicks and/or theatrics instead of actual music.
                              2) That's not even fair and you know it.

Mariah was a miserable person back then. All she did was music and then she'd disappear until the time came for more music. It might not have started out that way but it was what it was.

Would you really want her to go back to that, all for the sake of having an terrified and inhibited yet inoffensive and "cute" Mariah who talked about what she was expected to talk about: music?

And why make like all Mariah ever does is lip-sync when that's not even true?
                              --Katy Perry

Comment

She did have a personality back then. She may have been reserved and humble but that's one of the things that made her likable. Now-a-days her personality and antics are too much for some people. That's one of the main reasons she's looked at as a diva and/or not very bright.

I won't even get on lip-syncing because that's a mess within itself.

Comment

When she first performed "Hero" back in 1993, you could sense the powerful endearment in her voice; when she first ever performed on television back in 1990, you could see the genuine warmth in her face when she got received a standing ovation; when she spoke in interviews about her biraciality, or about the thousands of inner-state kids that she used to play with at Camp Mariah, you could see how genuinely passionate she was about her work, and the message that she was putting across with her projects.

Perhaps she was being oppressed in her marriage, but to claim that she had no "spark" is quite frankly ridiculous.

Comment

Agree with Sam and Shonda. She was so nice back then!Today people only see the diva-ish image.
                                    P=MC2's Top 20

Comment

Originally posted by sambo9
                                      When she first performed "Hero" back in 1993, you could sense the powerful endearment in her voice; when she first ever performed on television back in 1990, you could see the genuine warmth in her face when she got received a standing ovation; when she spoke in interviews about her biraciality, or about the thousands of inner-state kids that she used to play with at Camp Mariah, you could see how genuinely passionate she was about her work, and the message that she was putting across with her projects.

Perhaps she was being oppressed in her marriage, but to claim that she had no "spark" is quite frankly ridiculous.
                                      I like that you mentioned that (the bolded part). I felt so bad and at the same time so happy for her when I noticed her reaction to the applause. You could see right through her insecurities at that very moment, you could sense she was seeking appreciaton and acceptance.

On topic, Mariah Carey's debut is fantastic. I've listened to it to death so lately I'll just listen to the odd song here and there ...and end up listening to the whole thing in the end.

I would love if she used it as a vocal template for her next album. Not that she would ever match it vocally at this point, but singing at the best of her abilities wouldn't hurt.

*Bumps "Alone In Love"*
                                      DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

Originally posted by jio

My old post created some commotion

What I meant is that when you were seeing Mariah on stage, you were seeing a star-in-waiting. She was pretty, she was natural, she had THAT voice and all those good songs. She also seemed down to earth. Whether she was nervous or not, I don't know, I heard about that but that made her perhaps more accessible. That's what I meant by charisma. And I have seen a few of her performances here and there, MTV Unplugged beats all of them. She might have expensive dresses and long blonde hair and rappers with her now but can you honestly say that anyone would be impressed as they would be watching her circa 1990-1993?
                                        jio CHARTS NOW:6/7/2020:https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...2#post10427172

Comment

I like her debut because all the songs are strong. Besides the 4 #1's, there was a ton more that Columbia could have chosen had they not wanted to be perfect."All In Your Mind" wouldn't have a bad choice, really.

I just wish Sony would pay to re-certify it some time. It should be 12-13x Platinum by now, considering it's been 12 years since the last certification.

Comment

Originally posted by jio
                                            Originally posted by jio

My old post created some commotion

What I meant is that when you were seeing Mariah on stage, you were seeing a star-in-waiting. She was pretty, she was natural, she had THAT voice and all those good songs. She also seemed down to earth. Whether she was nervous or not, I don't know, I heard about that but that made her perhaps more accessible. That's what I meant by charisma. And I have seen a few of her performances here and there, MTV Unplugged beats all of them. She might have expensive dresses and long blonde hair and rappers with her now but can you honestly say that anyone would be impressed as they would be watching her circa 1990-1993?
                                            Agreed!!

Comment

My favorite album tracks are All In Your Mind, You Need Me and Prisoner!
                                              My Chart

My Rihanna Countdown

Comment

This is such an incredible album! From "Vision of Love" to "Love Takes Time", this album is immaculate. It's aged so well too. "Prisoner" is probably my favourite non-single and "Someday" is such an underrated, criminally forgotten #1 from her.
                                                Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

This album is perfect from start to finish. My favorite songs are "Vision of Love", "Vanishing", "Alone In Love", and "Love Takes Time".
                                                  MARIAH

Comment

Her Rap on Prisoner >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nicki Minaj whole rap career.
                                                    Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

Her rap in Prisoner was so lame, but I love it nonetheless.

Comment

I'm still here for Someday although Mariah hates it with such passion.

The Someday dance is such a classic.

Comment

Vision of love:
                                                          My alltime personal favorite! It's the song that started it all. The first Mariah song I ever heard. It made me buy this album and ever since I have been a fan. I had the song played on my wedding, so it's even more special now. The intro: it's like Mariah takes you into a trance. Next the first beat drops. The exeptional great lyrics. Near the end she loses herself completly, belting through her own words and then there's the high whistle note and giving more and more emotion. Then it all stops. And WHAM: the long note finishes it. The ultimate triumph song!

There's got to be a way:
                                                          Around this time it seemed everyone had to have a song with this type of lyric (Janet Jackson, Shanice, Trey Lorenz). Mariah did a great job. Great way this song builds and builds. Love the gospel chorus with choir. Great song!

I don't wanna cry:
                                                          Beautiful big ballad. Love the latin influences. Sung with drama, power and emotion. LOVE it!

Someday:
                                                          Reminded me a lot of Whitney's "I wanna dance with somebody" the first time I heard it. That's the main reason I immediately thought this would make a great single with #1 potential. I especially love the 7" Jackswing. I have never understood why the album version fades out before Mariah finishes the high note.

Vanishing:
                                                          Sooooooooo beautiful! It's especially stunningly beautiful because of the use of only a piano and Mariah's voice. Goosebumps all over! Just a piano and still one of the jewels of the album. Mariah's voice gets all the space to excell and with the layers of backingvocals Mariah shows us what an exeptional singer she is. LOVE it!

All in your mind:
                                                          The only song on the album which had to grow on me. At first I didn't like the 'hoarse' voice she uses for this song. After watching "The First Vision" where she sings the end of the song acappella, I finally fell madly in love with this song. The high notes surprised me a lot ever since I first heard the song. It's probably hard to imagine now, but I could hardly believe that the high whistle notes at the end was just Mariah's voice and not an instrument.

Alone in love:
                                                          Like "I don't wanna cry" I love this beautiful ballad with latin influences. Yet, it's very different, so still unique. However, the intro of the song reminds me of Gloria Estefan's intro of "Can't stay away from you", which was a hit the year before. I think the bridge of this song is phenomenal. Lots of drama, lots of emotion: WOW!

You need me:
                                                          Although I don't like rock music, I love the rock influences here as it gives this song so much power! Not only in the instumentation but also in Mariah's voice. She sounds angry and won't give up the fight. I also love the variation in the chorus: the angry powerful "Don't you know" and the soft sweet "you need me". The end builds into a CLIMAX like we seldom hear nowadays.

Sent from up above:
                                                          Right after buying the album I fell in love with this song. I hoped with all my heart it would become a single. Then it was released as the b-side of "Love takes time" and my hope was gone. But... in the Netherlands it was chosen as "Avro's Radio 3 Tip" which meant that Holland's most important radio station at that time gave this song massive airplay eventhough it was "just" a b-side!

Prisoner:
                                                          Very Taylor Dayne, but better! (Think of "Prove your love" and "Tell it to my heart"). This should have been a massive hit. Why this wasn't released as a single beats me. I love her rap on this song! Although I usually don't like rappers I did love female singers doing their own raps: Debbie Gibson, Shanice, Paula Abdul.

Love takes time:
                                                          I have sung this song sooo often. Love to sing along with this one. Great that this song brought her to Holland. I recorded her performance at Countdown. I have watched this tv-appearance again and again. Love the high note and the low register she did live.

Album overall:
                                                          The thing I love most about this album: the variation and still, every genre is GREAT! I had my brother listen to bits of the songs and asked him to guess who the singer was. He only knew Vision Of Love back then, so I was curious what he would think. His guesses: Taylor Dayne? (Prisoner), Oh, Whitney! (Love takes time), Maybe Diana Ross? (Sent from up above). Now it's hard to imagine, but I was sooooooo thrilled by this very first album. Maybe I enjoyed it a little too much. By the time "Emotions" was released my sister couldn't stand Mariah anymore...
                                                          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

I liked that review, RayRay. Agreed with alot of the reviews of the songs.

My top three:

1. I don't wanna cry (its better live at the Daydream tour tho)
                                                            2. Love takes time
                                                            3. Vision of love

Comment

Strongest debut by a female recording artist ever IMO...Prisoner,LTT & Vision of Love slayed lives

Comment

Working...
                                                              X