Mariah Carey - Rainbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah Carey - Rainbow

The 7th studio album form Mariah Carey. It was realesed in November 2, 1999. 'Rainbow' had the highest first week sales of her career (up to that point) with 323,000. Though it started off big, it was the lowest selling Mariah album up to that point. It still sold a respectable 8.5 million worldwide and was certified 3x platinum on the U.S. Often noted as Mariah's worst album, this still has some real gems.

Tracklisting:
    1."Heartbreaker" (featuring Jay-Z)
    2."Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)"
    3."Bliss"
    4."How Much" (featuring Usher)
    5."After Tonight"
    6."X-Girlfriend"
    7."Heartbreaker" (Remix featuring Da Brat and Missy Elliott)
    8."Vulnerability" (Interlude)
    9."Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" 10."Crybaby" (featuring Snoop Dogg)
    11."Did I Do That?" (featuring Mystikal and Master P)
    12."Petals"
    13."Rainbow" (Interlude)
    14."Thank God I Found You" (featuring Joe and 98 Degrees)
    15."Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)(French hidden track)
    16."Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" (featuring Westlife)(UK bonus track)

I love this album it was the 1st Mariah album I bought when I started on my Mariah fan journey
    The Voice!

Comment

To me, this is easily her worse studio album. It's filled by plastic R&B. We all know the purpose of this album: getting ride off Sony Records. I don't even know how it sold so well internationally. I only like two songs: "Heartbreaker" and "Can't Take That Away", the rest is pretty forgettable, especially one of her all times lows - "Did I Do That".

Glitter is far superior to this mess. "Never Too Far" ONLY totally owns this entire album.

Comment

Well it's definately not her best. There are some great songs like "Heartbreaker", "Crybaby", "Can't Take That Away", "Petals" and "Thank God I Found You".

Comment

Crrrrrap. It belongs in the bin along with Lou Bega and Ricky Martin. 1999 was a terrible year for music.
          Destoroyah: Generic Godzilla Villain

Comment

According to MariahDaily this album was done in like 9 weeks.

Comment

Rainbow is pretty low in my personal Mariah album ranking ("Memoirs Of An imperfect Angel" occupies the bottom place of course).

It was just such a rushed album and it shows. On Rainbow the first signs of Mariah's music showing a decline in quality, become apparent. There's some real filler such as Crybaby, How Much and Bliss and some straight up duds like X-Girlfriend and Did I do That? (which is the strongest contender for the worst song ever recorded by Mariah IMO, Irresistible comes close). I don't particularly like the interludes either. I found on YouTube a video with the Rainbow interlude flowing into the 2009 version of Hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZf4bo-vt8), that I really like and this way I at least appreaciated the interlude. As for Petals... I don't really like it but it's not a bad song quality wise. Although Petals is definitely one of her most personal songs, I just can't connect with it. :-?

The songs I like from this album and listen to most of the time are:

-Heartbreaker. A real uptempo that always puts a smile on my face. Jay's verse is great. I can't stand the remix :evil: but I now like the Love Hangover/Heartbreaker mash up, after Mariah did it on the Angels Advocate tour.

-Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme). Amazing, uplifting song. Mariah's vocals are incredible.

-After Tonight. Used to hate it but it grew on me. Still remains My All's 2nd ugly cousin (I Only Wanted is the 3rd ).

-Thank God I Found You. It's a lovely ballad with a nice melody. I prefer the "Make It Last" remix more to be honest, because her vocals are better IMO plus the remix is such a cool, sexy jam. I downloaded a nice medley of the original and the remix recently and totally rediscovered this song.

-Against All Odds. And I'm talking about the Mariah only version and not the horrid Westlife collaboration. Mariah's vocals are wonderful and her rendition does justice to the Phil Collin's classic. I especially love watching Mariah's live performances of the song.

The videos this era are fine I guess. Heartbreaker surely is one of Mariah's best videos to date. Funny, with a plot and even Mariah's "dance" break is cute.

Although I'm all for slutty MiMi, most of the time, I just dislike this album cover and overall artwork. It was over the top and lame. Same with the terrible album title, then again most of Mariah's album titles are like that .

All in all, one of Mariah's weakest releases but with a few really good tracks.
              If you don't get on the ride, you won't experience the adventure...

Comment

I made a thread for this a while back, before we had a Retro forum, just in case anyone's interested in what what said then --- LINK
                last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix98
                  I made a thread for this a while back, before we had a Retro forum, just in case anyone's interested in what what said then --- LINK
                  A lot of people compared E=MC to this album... Thats before we heard MOAIA.

Comment

'After Tonight' is one of my fav Mariah ballads
                    Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                      Thats song is "My All"'s little sister.

Comment

I love the Heartbreaker remix video too, she was a sex bomb, you'd think she was teasing someone!
                        I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her \_(?)_/

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC
                          And "I Only Wanted" too. 3 twins

Comment

Originally posted by Loverboy
                            You mean triplets?

Comment

Do you know what the tragic thing is! Those first week sales are probably how much memoirs sold after it's first 3-4 weeks in the U.S chart.

This album is one of my favourite. One of the best commercially, One of the worst in terms of Genre and sound direction.
                              "I can feel it when your holding me close

You're like your one of the world wonders

I know Im going under..."

Comment

Thank God I Found You and Petals are amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Loverboy
                                  You mean triplets?
                                  Thanks boo

Comment

Originally posted by Dru4life
                                    Do you know what the tragic thing is! Those first week sales are probably how much memoirs sold after it's first 3-4 weeks in the U.S chart.

This album is one of my favourite. One of the best commercially, One of the worst in terms of Genre and sound direction.
                                    Well thats not as bad as when you look at the first week sales of E=MC2! Memoirs barely passed that by the end of it's entire chart run.

And I just realized E=MC2 sold almost 3x the amount of Memoirs in the U.S!

Comment

Originally posted by Dru4life

Well thats not as bad as when you look at the first week sales of E=MC2! Memoirs barely passed that by the end of it's entire chart run.

And I just realized E=MC2 sold almost 3x the amount of Memoirs in the U.S!
                                      It's been a tough year gurl!!
                                      "I can feel it when your holding me close

You're like your one of the world wonders

I know Im going under..."

Comment

My thread is flopping!

Comment

Re: Mariah Carey | Rainbow

It still sold a respectable 10 million worldwide
                                          LOL, no.

Anyway, I loved "Heartbreaker" back in the day.

Comment

Petals was one of the best things Mariah's done in her entire career IMO, surprised it'd been so overlooked when discussion the merits of this album.
                                            My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

There's some highs on here (Petals) while some embarrassing lows (Did I Do That?). The Heartbreaker remix is still my favorite remix of hers
                                              They call it the Church of Hot Addiction

Comment

Re: Mariah Carey | Rainbow

Originally posted by Fever
                                                It still sold a respectable 10 million worldwide
                                                LOL, no.
                                                Then what did it ship/sell honey...

Comment

LOVE the record. Maybe my fave mariah album

Comment

Working...
                                                  X