Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eternal/Monica - Angel Of Mine (1997)

Code:
    "Angel of Mine" is an R&B ballad written by Rhett Lawrence and Travon Potts, produced by Rhett Lawrence for British R&B girl group Eternal's Greatest Hits album in 1997. The song became the group's fourteenth top ten hit on the UK singles chart peaking at #4 and spent a total of 13 weeks in the chart, helping their Greatest Hits album go three times platinum [2]. "Angel of Mine" was the group's final single as a three-piece as after the release of Angel of Mine, Kéllé Bryan left the group.
    Code:
    The song came to American fame when R&B singer Monica covered the song (with altered lyrics) and released it as the third single from her second studio album The Boy Is Mine (1998), following the successful chart performances of previous single "The First Night," the song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
    ----

So, what are your thoughts about this song? I really love the Monica version. I played it for more than a 100 times for the past 3 days

For some reason I was never that familiar with the Eternal version when it was released - I actually heard the Monica version first, and assumed it was her song.

These days I tend to listen to the Eternal version more - I prefer the original lyrics and like that the vocal arrangement in their version is softer than Monica's, who I think has a tendency to overdo the adlibs in some bits.
    "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

I never even heard of the Eternal version.

Monica's version is great and it's one of the songs that defined my childhood.

Comment

Originally posted by therealestMC

this.
        Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Love both versions.
          The Monica music video was played constantly on our Tv's back in the day.
          Here for Alicia Keys only.

Comment

Huge fan of Monica and waaaay prefer her vocals on the track, though Eternal's is nice and has a more interesting video.

#1 on Billboard for Monica though.
            Baaaaad relationship??
            The lyric video for my new single TRIP THE ALARM here!

♬ Keen addictions, between afflictions, I guess I had it coming...

Comment

Much prefer the Eternal version, maybe because it's the version I was always most familiar with. Had a nice video too:

http://youtu.be/ts1qQ8jN8o0
              Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Comment

I didnt learn about the original version until Monica released her version. I originally didnt like the song to be honest. It grew on me but still no my favorite ballad on TBIM.

Comment

I heard both but I really loved Monica's version more!

Comment

Eternal's version is far superior to monica's sexed up over sung version.
                    CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Comment

I've always grown up loving Monica's version since I've discovered eternal I love easthers vocals on it both versions are good I kinda prefer eternal's now though

Comment

I liked Monica's version more

Comment

Originally posted by DOSSOME
                          I liked Monica's version more

Comment

I was a HUGE Eternal fan back in the day so loved their version. Monica's version is great as well but not as good for me.
                            There is a light at the end of the tunnel... hopefully its not a freight train! - Mariah Carey

Comment

I love Eternals version. And it's from a really strong Greatest Hits album which I still often listen to.

I thought Easther co wrote the song. But maybe I am wrong.

Comment

Monica's version. Never heard Eternal's version.

Comment

I miss the nineties!

Comment

Eternal >>>>>>

Monica's is run of the mill r&b.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsky
                                      Originally posted by therealestMC

this.
                                      +1 This came out in very early 99 when I was in such a great place in my life, maybe the best.
                                      Originally posted by beredy
                                      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by MCUK
                                        I was a HUGE Eternal fan back in the day so loved their version. Monica's version is great as well but not as good for me.
                                        Same for me.

Comment

I just discovered eternals video it has such a warmth vibe to it

[youtube:2a0gk0xw]YH1UGk6pYHQ[/youtube:2a0gk0xw]

I like the production on Monica's better but easther vocals are better tho

Comment

Originally posted by bluemusique21
                                            I just discovered eternals video it has such a warmth vibe to it

I like the production on Monica's better but easther vocals are better tho
                                            I love this video. Kelle is soooo pretty outside by the tree, she's my favourite

Comment

[youtube:27ee4upq]3eOuK-pYhy4[/youtube:27ee4upq]

Monica looked so gorgeous in the video!

Comment

I prefer Eternal's version. It's much more gentle / angelic.
                                                Easther's voice is so underrated.

I always wanted Monica to cover I Am Blessed and How Many Tears.

Comment

This is a cover? :-?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X