Mariah Carey - Emotions [album]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah Carey - Emotions [album]

So, i can't find a thread about it on Retro.

Tracks:

1. Emotions
    2. And You Don't Remember
    3. Can't Let Go
    4. Make It Happen
    5. If It's Over
    6. You're So Cold
    7. So Blessed
    8. To Be Around You
    9. Till The End Of Time
    10. The Wind

So, this album is just okay for me, sometimes it may put me to sleep , maybe because too soul/jazzy and i don't really like that style. But there are a couple of amazing songs on it. Overall, my 4th least fave album of her above Butterfly, Glitter and Memoirs. Vocally, still one of her best. Although i read that during that era, critics criticized Mariah because of too much whistle and high vocal acrobatic, more impressive than expressive related to her singing.

My top tracks:

Can't Let Go ---> one of her best easily, just flawless
    Emotions
    If It's Over
    You're So Cold

This is, with her debut album, her best work IMO. Singles are great, and I also like "And You Don't Remember", "You're So Cold", "If It's Over" and "Till The End Of Time"
    "The Wind" is hidden gem. When I first listened this song I couldn't believe it she actually recorded it something like that. Brilliant

Shame she went downhill after this album, at least in my eyes

Comment

Ridiculously slow paced, but it's a pretty great record overall!

"Till The End Of Time", "The Wind" and "Can't Let Go" are must-haves for any Mariah fan, and "To Be Around You" is still one of my favourite uptempos from her.

Comment

"Emotions" is not as perfect as Mariah's debut in my opinion, but it's an amazing album nonetheless.

I love the throwback Soul feel, the Jazz and Dance songs and how her vocals and production are more raw than they are on the debut.

Emotions, Till The End Of Time, Can't Let Go, You're So Cold, Make It Happen, If It's Over, The Wind, So Blessed - all highlights.
        DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

One of my fav albums EVER! I go crazy whenever I listen to You're So Cold. Fantastic track! The Wind ,Can't Let Go and If It's Over are also my favorites from this album. This album is a gem. Much better than her debut and most of her 90s and 00's work.
          P=MC2's Top 20
          Originally posted by Merci
          Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by grooveboy
            This is, with her debut album, her best work IMO. Singles are great, and I also like "And You Don't Remember", "You're So Cold", "If It's Over" and "Till The End Of Time"
            "The Wind" is hidden gem. When I first listened this song I couldn't believe it she actually recorded it something like that. Brilliant

Shame she went downhill after this album, at least in my eyes
            Agreed more or less, I'd also add
            "Till The End Of Time" to my list of faves.

Comment

I've always loved this album.
              Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverYoung
                "Emotions" is not as perfect as Mariah's debut in my opinion, but it's an amazing album nonetheless.

I love the throwback Soul feel, the Jazz and Dance songs and how her vocals and production are more raw than they are on the debut.

Emotions, Till The End Of Time, Can't Let Go, You're So Cold, Make It Happen, If It's Over, The Wind, So Blessed - all highlights.
                It isn't as polished and thats why as a whole I would place the debut higher but I love all these songs Emotions, Till The End Of Time, Can't Let Go, You're So Cold, Make It Happen, If It's Over, The Wind, So Blessed which I would say are on their own better than some of the songs on the debut and showed so much growth as an singer/songwriter.

Comment

"To Be Around You" should have been a single!

Comment

It's just okay for me, I really loved this album before, but now, it's just okay. :-?

Comment

I'm so glad I saved Emotions for a rainy day.

The Wind. And You Don't Remember. Can't Let Go. Emotions. If It's Over. So Blessed.

All beautiful songs.

I hope she's looking real hard at this album for this go-round. Especially with songs like The Wind.
                      I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
                      --Katy Perry

Comment

can't let go is the best song on the album followed by If it's over, make it happen and emotions.

CLT shud have been a #1 hit and stayed there for at least 10 weeks. lol.. people were getting bored of her in 1991/92 (least a bit) it's the only way that could explain why her strongest single up to that point stalled at #2.
                        My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
                          can't let go is the best song on the album followed by If it's over, make it happen and emotions.
                          This!!!!

Comment

CLT shud have been a #1 hit and stayed there for at least 10 weeks. lol.. people were getting bored of her in 1991/92 (least a bit) it's the only way that could explain why her strongest single up to that point stalled at #2.
                            Nope, according to what Trey Lorenz said in this radio special dedicated to Mariah that aired in the UK last Christmas season, "Can't Let Go" was in fact going to go #1 but the label pulled the single from the market so the album would sell better.
                            DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

Nope, according to what Trey Lorenz said in this radio special dedicated to Mariah that aired in the UK last Christmas season, "Can't Let Go" was in fact going to go #1 but the label pulled the single from the market so the album would sell better.
                              well this case is also odd, because emotions is in my opinion as brilliant (if not better) than her debut.. so it should have had the same impact... it's really disappointing that the general public did not instantly fall in love with it.
                              My Chart

Comment

Amazing album, with some great moments. However anything sang by Mariah at that time would have been amazing. We had vocals that had never been heard recorded by any artist before that time at their peak.
                                I think the album was great,
                                Definitely
                                Could have been better in places. However it suited the era it was released I guess.

'So Blessed' would have been better on music box.
                                Iíll just sit right here and sing that good old school sh@* to you!

Comment

'The Wind' is a lyrical masterpiece.
                                  Was it a cover or something?
                                  Photoshoot fresh... I'm about to call the paparazzi on myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Wmosi
                                    The Wind? No it's original Mariah. When i listen to that song I always feel Mariah sing like someone who really lost a part of her soul.
                                    P=MC2's Top 20

Comment

well this case is also odd, because emotions is in my opinion as brilliant (if not better) than her debut.. so it should have had the same impact... it's really disappointing that the general public did not instantly fall in love with it.
                                      I don;t think its better than her debut because I love her debut and think its just perfection. But I do think it is just as good as it in place and better at times but over all it lacks the finess the debut had. It could have been better in places but over all songs like Can't Let Go, Make It Happen, The Wind, If It's Over are all genius and some of her best work and show a progression as an artist. Other tracks sound like left overs from her debut but still are amazing.

Comment

Original Mimi. Think it was written about a friend of hers that died. One of my favourites.

Comment

Emotions is clearly better than her debut album in my opinion. I cant skip any song on Emotions while sometimes I do on her debut. Mariah Carey is weaker than Emotions.
                                          P=MC2's Top 20

Comment

Originally posted by mimifan09
                                            Original Mimi. Think it was written about a friend of hers that died. One of my favourites.
                                            The lyrics were re-written by Mariah, but the music was covered.

Comment

I prefer the debut by far but Emotions is pretty stellar on its own anyway.

"The Wind" is not an original. I mean in a sense it is, because she wrote the lyrics but the melody/music was from another song with different lyrics (obviously). I think she got together with the composer of that song and re-did the song so it turned out in "The Wind" we know today. I remember reading something along those lines on a Mariah forum.
                                              DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

I'm the same.

Comment

Yeah, I can't really fault her debut (It has that classic 80s "Whitney"/"Whitney Houston" sound in places, which I adore!), but "Emotions" is a pretty solid follow up. A little too flat in places but it's definitely her most overlooked album.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X