Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston - When You Believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mimifan09
    Mariah said she was having vocal problems around that time and Whitney blamed it on Mariahs time of the month!!
    LOL! I remember that. Well I guess Mariah was on her period for the last 2 or 3 years of the naughties then.

Her mid-range was fine in 1998 (probably better than it was in 1997!) but her upper range was not in a very good state at all. She was really lacking in power and resonance and it resulted in her forcing out thin, hoarse belts. That would only worsen during the "Rainbow" era, but her belts were sounding a lot fuller in 2003.

Comment

i don't get the vocal hate here at all.. i think they both sound amazing. *fans are always too critical*

i wish they had performed this in europe too.
      My Chart

Comment

I love the performances of this song!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
          *fans are always too critical
          Agreed. I think fans sometimes get lost in overcriticizing everything and forget to enjoy her while they still have her.

Aaanywho, I wish Mariah & Whitney would have dueted in something similar to another Whitney duet, "Same Script, Different Cast". That one was definitely more interesting musically and arrangement-wise compared to WYB in my opinion. I can totally picture Mariah & Whitney engaging in this call-response thing Whitney and Deborah Cox had going on in that duet.
          DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

i hate the performance at the oscars because you can't hear Mariah.
            My Chart

Comment

i hate the performance at the oscars because you can't hear Mariah.
              I just turn the volume up to the max!! There was definitely something wrong with her mic that night.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverYoung
                Agreed. I think fans sometimes get lost in overcriticizing everything and forget to enjoy her while they still have her.
                Or maybe some of her fans just have a negative opinion on a couple of songs and aren't afraid to say it? It's pretty clear that UKMIX's Mariah followers appreciate her. We repeat the same conversions about how wonderful and fantastic she/her music is continuously because there's not really any news coming in, so what's the real issue with people just having a critical discussion every now and again?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo9
                  Originally posted by ForeverYoung
                  Or maybe some of her fans just have a negative opinion on a couple of songs and aren't afraid to say it? It's pretty clear that UKMIX's Mariah followers appreciate her. We repeat the same conversions about how wonderful and fantastic she/her music is continuously because there's not really any news coming in, so what's the real issue with people just having a critical discussion every now and again?
                  Oh yeah, I didn't mean to cross the fans with my comment. Sorry if I came across condescending or something.

I definitely agree with what you said.
                  DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

Comment

Oh no, you didn't at all, I was just trying to emphasise that the discussion about her voice wasn't as a result of people purposely trying to fault her and being overly-critical.

Comment

There is no doubt that Mariah fans do tend to over analyse everything when there is lack of Mariah news or new music to discuss but its good to have an objective look at her stuff as well and even Mariah herself has been famed for being a perfectionist and she is herself, probably the toughest critic she will ever have and always feels the need to make sure everything she does is perfect so its no fault of ours that we are over-critical as well!!

Comment

I felt like I wanted more from this song. :-?

It's still not a bad song lyrically.

Comment

perfect song. the music is perfect.. it's the best song babyface ever lay his hands on. i love the video too. both ladies look aboslutely stunning.
                          Yesss,
                          surprised than many fans and non fans are not satisfied enough with this collaboration :-?
                          I think both divas did a great job with this song.

Comment

I really love this song, I guess the expectations surrounding it being a Whitney and Mariah track were set too high, but I really like that it wasn't a showdown of vocals like most people expected it to be. It's really about the message.

Comment

I love this song more today than when it came out

Comment

Perfect duet for 2 perfect singers. Their voice are like two pieces of heaven together.
                                To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

Best vocal duet I've ever heard. Its like no collabo can top this one.
                                  NoHype.

my lousy cover of "Sway"https://soundcloud.com/nyein-chann-a...n-martin-cover

Comment

Originally posted by DOSSOME
                                    I love this song more today than when it came out
                                    Oui ! When it first came out, I was disappointed as I wanted something more shiny and sparkly and groundbreakingly awesome. Instead, what we got was a good, solid song with two good, solid performances. Today, I appreciate its message and the melody is still catchy and find it interesting how they came up with pretty equal air-time/parts to shine vocally.

What I always wondered was why did both the head voice parts in the finale chorus go to Mariah, when Whitney has amazing head voice. Maybe Whitney's head voice at that time was not working (i.e. sometimes Ms Soprano don't wanna come out). Mariah got both head voice bits PLUS a background textural whistle at the very end ! I guess Whitney got all the nice lower melisma parts in exchange...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkey
                                      Perfect duet for 2 perfect singers. Their voice are like two pieces of heaven together.

Comment

I prefer the version in the film. It has a different arrangement with a hebrew bridge and choir. It would've been nice to hear Mariah and Whitney sing it.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DQCGxAfG88

I didn't even know this oficial video exist

Comment

Gorgeous song, I know that a lot of fans don't like it, but it's one of my favorites.
                                            Floped and localed

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity
                                              Gorgeous song, I know that a lot of fans don't like it, but it's one of my favorites.
                                              Same, I am glad Mariah sings it on SSF tour, it's definitely the highlight of the tour.
                                              Whitney Houston

Comment

It's a song that has massively grown on me over the years, a song that obviously took on a much deeper meaning following Whitney's death.

I love it beyond reproach these days.

Comment

I love this song so much. The message and lyrics are so nice.

I defo think it has aged well and feel people appreciate it more now.
                                                  LJC--->>

Comment

I love it while a ''flop'' in the U.S it was quite a hit in Europe I still hear it on radio every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X