• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoshie
    HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY, BEDTIME STORIES!

HAPPY

Comment

Was listening to this album today. It's very warm and inviting, even more so than "Ray of Light".
      Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

Why oh why she didn't include "Your Honesty" in the final product? That would cement Bedtime Stories as my favorite Madonna album to date

Comment

What a coincidence this thread is bumped now, I was just listening to this album today! It's a great record, very underrated.

It's really in an odd position in her discography as it's stuck between (and overshadowed by) Erotica's controversy and Ray Of Light's acclaim. I don't see it as a 'restrained' album, it just has a different character. I don't think there's a song I dislike on here!

That transition from Sanctuary to Bedtime Story >>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by grooveboy
            Why oh why she didn't include "Your Honesty" in the final product? That would cement Bedtime Stories as my favorite Madonna album to date
            Yes. It would be a worthy companion to Don't Stop, the two most dance/disco-oriented tracks from the era.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomyX
              What a coincidence this thread is bumped now, I was just listening to this album today! It's a great record, very underrated.

It's really in an odd position in her discography as it's stuck between (and overshadowed by) Erotica's controversy and Ray Of Light's acclaim. I don't see it as a 'restrained' album, it just has a different character. I don't think there's a song I dislike on here!

That transition from Sanctuary to Bedtime Story >>>>>
              I can't say this is one of my favourite albums of hers, I usually place it midway down in my rankings. I find some of the tracks quite forgettable. When it was released I know many fans who were quite disappointed after the perfection that was Erotica. There are great tracks like 'Human Nature', 'Survival', 'Sanctuary', 'Secret' and 'Bedtime Story' but I never understood the huge success of 'Take A Bow' in the US.
              It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
              But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

I think what's most notable about Bedtime Stories is how it isn't like a typical Madonna album: it's not shocking or surprising, and it's perhaps her quietest era; she really did let the music speak for itself. I believe that she tried to gain the public's approval by working with well-known and popular producers for the first time in her career, as well as by experimenting with R&B which was a dominant genre at the time. Nonetheless, she never did another album quite like Bedtime Stories, and contemporary R&B suited her vocals well; I think she sounds great throughout. There are some musically ambitious songs here despite its commercial nature and appeal, some of those being I'd Rather Be Your Lover, Human Nature (deep and experimentive bass on both tracks), Inside of Me (I love how she uses her breathing as an instrument), and of course Sanctuary and Bedtime Story.

Comment

I really loved how she took so many risks in the 1990s, Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light sound so different, it's like an album of three different artists! this one is a great album, her collaborations with Babyface were so good!

Comment

Bedtime Stories puzzles me . I like all the songs on it still, it's not one of my favorite albums of hers.
                    I find it bland , overall. I feel like you finish each track waiting for the next one to be THE song of the album , but that never happens .
                    One of her most beautiful and poetic lyrics are on this album , though.
                    Especially on Love Tried To Welcome Me and Sanctuary .

Comment

I think the album also had her best videos, all four were perfect. And her look during the era <3
                      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

Originally posted by Erotica
                        I think the album also had her best videos, all four were perfect. And her look during the era <3
                        Yes, some fantastic videos from the album. I remember being blown away by Human Nature at the time. It was such great imagery. She was pushing boundaries yet again
                        It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
                        But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

It was really interesting reading this thread So many people here said it;s their favorite M album

I love how she has so many amazing albums and it's not just one or two albums that are really loved and praised.

Amazing album, production, voice, lyrics,visuals.

Comment

Her vocals are at their best on this record. I agree with Tiago in his original post saying that Bedtime Stories has the greatest finish of all her albums... Actually so many tracks on Bedtime Stories couldn't be better.

I wish Your Honesty had been included on the album. I'm glad that it finally saw the light of day in 2003 anyway.

Comment

An excellent Bedtime Stories Appreciation Thread from MadonnaNation which includes a lot of dry interesting and rare stuff:

http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.p ... 26515?st=0

Absolutely worth a look through!

Comment

So this album was really underrated by me for a long time. I actually only loved Human Nature. But now Love tried to welcome me clicked with me and the out takes "Your honesty" and "Let down your guard" are also nice. Good album overall that sadly seems to be forgotten in her discography and her legacy.
                                Music is the blood in my veins

Feel free to add me to your friends list :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshie
                                  An excellent Bedtime Stories Appreciation Thread from MadonnaNation which includes a lot of dry interesting and rare stuff:

http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.p ... 26515?st=0

Absolutely worth a look through!
                                  Thanks for sharing, i love reading this

Comment

Another in-depth topic from the 20th Anniversary Celebration thread:

http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.p ... 47628?st=0

Comment

My favorite Madonna album. Every song is just perfect. I just heard Secret in the store today.
                                      Floped and localed

Comment

This is definitely her most underrated album by far. Its not her best but it surely has many great moments on this.
                                        Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

Experimental Madonna! Awesome sound, very underrated.

Comment

Love this album!

Comment

Hey, this is Mariah_Carey's album!

Comment

^

Must say that it's one of my least fav Madonna album. A good half of the tracks range from good to great (Secret, Take a Bow, Bedtime Story, I'd Rather Be Your Lover, Survival) but the other half just does nothing for me.

Bedtime Story is one of her best songs ever though. LOVE the hypnotic beat the last minute is pure heaven .

Comment

Originally posted by greek_boy
                                                  Experimental MariahCarey!
                                                  My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

• Inside Of Me is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X