Landfill Indie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landfill Indie

This VICE article about the phenomenon of the UK music scene during the mid 2000s called the "landfill indie" made rounds on twitter.
    The Top 50 Greatest Landfill Indie Songs of All Time

What are your highs and lows of that era?

Waffles are checked cookies

Idk, overall all these bands just sound like a samey indie pop/rock blob to me now, all so similar. I know fans of this style and these bands would disagree, it’s all a matter of taste.

I did love Mystery Jets and The Vaccines a lot back in the day, Two Door Cinema Club had some catchy stuff too, but yeah... they still all sound like the same indie band over and over again to me
    last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
      Idk, overall all these bands just sound like a samey indie pop/rock blob to me now, all so similar. I know fans of this style and these bands would disagree, it’s all a matter of taste.

I did love Mystery Jets and The Vaccines a lot back in the day, Two Door Cinema Club had some catchy stuff too, but yeah... they still all sound like the same indie band over and over again to me
      I am surprised that a band like Elbow was mentioned in the same vein (as a more "artsy" side of landfill indie). Also, zero mentions of female-fronted bands (The Noisettes, The Long Blondes, The Duke Spirit, etc.).
      It's a bit too dismissive to view Editors as the mere "Interpol tribute act".

Comment

The absolute lowest point of the era:
        The Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be

I dreaded that the first single of The Kooks' second album, I thought it was destined to enter the UK charts at #1, but thankfully it only managed to go top 3.

Comment

classic british press
          vicious
          first they raise you to the stars than the next moment they throw you in the mud

Comment

Originally posted by navi View Post
            classic british press
            vicious
            first they raise you to the stars than the next moment they throw you in the mud
            I think Pitchfork did more to kill off British indie than any of the british own press, that american-centric music critique (the first seeds had been sewn by Robert Christgau a long time ago) later found its readers in the UK as well.

Comment

In total, the "landfill indie" scored 5 UK number one singles. 2 by Arctic Monkeys, 1 by Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs and Scouting For Girls (the more derivative side of landfill indie).
              Almost as good as the Britpop era, just without a hit-machine like Oasis.

Comment

Working...
              X