Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl

Next single from L.A.M.B. An edited version of Hollaback Girl. This is after Rich Girl.

transcript of her camera launch thingy @ Gwen Retro Style:

*Carly: Please welcome our hippest product engineer, and HP's newest camera, Gwen Stefani in person with her Harajuku Lovers camera. Gwen, welcome.
    *Gwen Stefani: I can't believe I'm on a stage with this woman.

*Carly: I can't believe I'm on the stage with this woman. Hey, what was your inspiration for this?
    *Gwen: Well, you know, when I was first deciding, I wanted to do a dance record first of all, so that's where it all started, and then when I was trying to find my inspiration to make the record, I basically just got really excited about going back to Tokyo, because the first time I went to Tokyo in '96 I went to Harajuku, which is this shopping district in Tokyo and all these kids kind of gather and they have this real sense of personal style and expression through fashion and it was just a very motivating, exciting place. And it just motivated me with my music, with songs, and when I was going to make the record, I was thinking about the idea of putting out a regular merchandise line with the album, it seemed ridiculous at this point. I was like, I can't just put a shirt out with my face on it. You know what I mean? So I wanted to do an accessory line. So, I think that cameras these days are obviously one of the biggest accessories, I mean I know that for a fact, because everywhere I go there's a camera somewhere. I'm feeling it right now. So, the idea of a camera that's actually very, very cute and very Japanese-inspired is what I wanted.

*Carly: Well, great, and this is actually based on our R607. Now, when's this coming out, Gwen? It's so exciting.
    *Gwen Stefani: I know. When is it coming out?

*Carly: Well, it's [laughter] actually, I know it's ready for graduation season. I think you have a big video coming out at the same time?
    *Gwen Stefani: Yeah, the next video that I'm doing is for a song off the record called Hella Bad Girls, so it's going to come out around that time.

*Carly: Yeah, well I can tell you that there are lots of engineering teams at HP that really want Gwen to help them design from now on. And, if you want, here - how about you take a picture of you and me together here?
    *Gwen Stefani: Okay, together like this?

*Carly: You got it? Okay, if you want more information on this camera, you can go to gwenstefani.com<>, or you can go to HPshopping.com<>. We're just delighted to be in this collaboration. It is cute. Now you only have one problem with this, Gwen.
    *Gwen Stefani: I know, I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm like, okay, so now forever I will never be able to say no, if someone comes up to me, and asks, "Can I have a photo?" I'll be like, "Oh, okay."

*Carly: You have to say yes to every photo op, right? Because you're a designer of a camera.
    *Gwen Stefani: I never thought this would happen, but here we are.
    *Carly: Thanks for coming.

Grrr... I wanted "Serious" or "The Real Thing". But I really like "Hollaback Girl"(albeit one of the weakest on the album), so I guess I don't mind that much.

there gonna have to do a lot of editing to this song if they want it played on radio stations where kids will listen. This is my fav song on the album and the whole family loves this song so its gonna be another no.1 if they don't try and completely change it

Comment

Wooo! It's my favourite on the album I hope the edit won't mess up the song too bad. Why did she change the title?
      MySpace

Comment

:-? Gwen keeps on thinking she wants to do stuff on her own, but she keeps on holding on to the past with stuff from her band. The title itself is like an allusion to "Hella Good," but just in a contradictory way. Oh well, it will probably make the single more recognizable because "Hollaback Girl" may have seemed weird for a Cali white chick like her. The beat for the song is cool though and it's one of my fave tracks. Usually the tracks I really like from "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." are the less-retro ones and the really super experimental ones. I just found out that the video for "Rich Girl" and as cheap and stupid as I thought it would be. In the end, I didn't know the set was basically when these little Japanese girls are playing with pirate ships in a fish tank in a toy store. That just made the video more interesting and in-par with "What You Waiting For?"

Comment

What a load of crap!

It's my favourite track and I'm so glad its getting a release.
          It was obvious they'd change it for a single release, but why change the title?
          Am I being naive or is 'Hollaback girl' completely inoffensive?

Why doesn't she just call it 'Hella good girl'
          When you left I lost a part of me, It's still so hard to believe
          Come back baby please cos We belong together

June 27th

Comment

I can't understand why they had to change the title either.
            It seems stupid, when they could have just added a little credit to the remixer in parentheses.

Comment

Im so happy this is being released! The beat will have everyone going crazy over it! Unfortunately it will be one of those love or hate songs that goes No.1 or flops! Im guessing No.1

I think she could get 5 singles off the album so hopefully 'Serious' next and then 'Bubble Pop Electric', 'Crash' or even 'Long Way To Go'
              You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Most of the album tracks could be singles - I think she'll opt for something slower for the 4th single.
                My guess is either 'The real thing' or 'Cool'

June 27th

Comment

im personally kinda disappointed. i was really hoping for "Cool" to be the next single...
                  VARIETY FM 104 - All the hits, not just some of them... Click here to listen live!

Comment

I'm really not sure if this being released is a good thing or not!

I absolutely love it, but it really comes down to what they decide to do with the edit. If she did an Avril and replaced 's**t' with 'stuff', it really wouldn't work

And yeah, mebbe I am being stupid, but I agree with all the "why change the title?" style comments!

Comment

This stuf is bananas...Or would nanas have to be changed to?

Lame changing the title, but ah well. Love Hollaback Girl, but it will no doubt become another chav anthem

Comment

this is one of my faves from her uber cool CD

I want the real thing to be a single tho!
                        CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Comment

I love this track but I hope the title change doesn't mean the whole song will be too different! :(

Comment

WOW!. I'm glad this is being released, but why the hell did they change the title. What's wrong with "Hollaback Girl" there's no words in there children can't say. Well I'm happy it's coming out, but now I don't see it doing to well with that title
                            WHAT HAPPENED TO UKMIX ???
                            All the Fighting and Arguments are getting old now, lets get back to talking about the MUSIC

Comment

I'm really glad this is the next single. I agree with Dazzle also about the 4th single being either Cool or The Real Thing (preferably the latter).

The name change is strange, it's too similar to Hella Good and I don't "get" why it's happening.

But I've been playing it a lot lately and I'm liking it as at first I didn't take to it much.
                              Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

Originally posted by af18c
                                im personally kinda disappointed. i was really hoping for "Cool" to be the next single...
                                I actually heard a radio station over here play "Cool," and I was like, "This early for another single? I thought 'Rich Girl' is still being promoted?" I think they just decided to play the track in order to promote the album because it was like a free-play thing...Kinda like how Britney Spears and her peeps decided to send out promo copies of "(I Got That) Boom Boom" and "Outrageous" to radio stations to play them right in between "Me Against The Music" and "Toxic." I dunno, or maybe it was a one-time-only-type play. I remember hearing Spice Girls' "Viva Forever" play on the radio before "Spiceworld" was even released in the US. Stations may tend to do that stuff, so I don't wanna hype stuff. I still don't like the idea of "Hell Bad Girls" being named the next single. I still like "Hollaback Girl" and I thought that instead of censoring "shit" or replacing it with dumber lyrics, they should have just flipped it and made it say "ish" or "isht." Missy flipped some stuff before, so why can't Gwen?

Comment

Originally posted by loopdaloop_69
                                  I absolutely love it, but it really comes down to what they decide to do with the edit. If she did an Avril and replaced 's**t' with 'stuff', it really wouldn't work
                                  Hoorah, all they've done is blank out the 'it' of the offending bad words!

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad it hasn't been watered down for the Disney audience.

I'm really liking this now, after taking a disliking when I first bought LAMB, but it's a real grower.

The Real Thing MUST be released after!
                                    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

I heard they were going to release Harajuku Girls as single as well as there are plans to shoot the video in the Harajuku district in Japan.

Flop single choices, I personally hoped for Serious and The Real Thing or Cool for singles three and four.
                                      http://www.moopy.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Skelofect
                                        Yeah, I'm glad it hasn't been watered down for the Disney audience.

I'm really liking this now, after taking a disliking when I first bought LAMB, but it's a real grower.

The Real Thing MUST be released after!
                                        Agreed on both... while I didn't like it at first, I'm starting to like this a lot more... it's just too catchy! This is a case of a radio edit actually working out well, not ruining the song.
                                        Freaky Fly Bry's Top 100

M4B Charts Central

Comment

Originally posted by apo
                                          I heard they were going to release Harajuku Girls as single as well as there are plans to shoot the video in the Harajuku district in Japan.
                                          I dunno - 'Harajuku girls' is the b-side to 'Rich girl' in Australia - think its just a live version, but still!

June 27th

Comment

I agree with Darren/David, "Cool" or "The Real Thing" must be the 4th single, they're both gorgeous!

Comment

As much as I like Hollaback Girl, I can't see it getting very much airplay. I especially cannot se 'Harajuku Girls' doing very well at all!

I reckon they should release 'Cool' or 'The Real Thing' as both have that really nice aesthetic quality about them, plus I reckon they'd get played on radio stations.

Comment

"Harajuku Girls" would flop, it's really weak and annoying - one of the worst on thne album IMO.

Comment

'Hollaback Girl' is crap, how any sane person could choose that over 'The Real Thing' is beyond me.
                                                  Don't explain yourself 'cos talk is cheap,
                                                  There's more important things than hearing you speak.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X