X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Her next album ought to be called 'Thesaurus' then

Comment

• Originally posted by Mooriah
      Oh, and I also think she's responsible for using those big words like "disarming, incessantly, euphoric, fervid, emblazoned, hectic, rapture, reverie, incandescent, despondently" etc etc
      I think it's the fact that she once put out well-written stuff like this that makes me dis-like the newer "slang"/"street" speak even more :-? feels like she's dumbing down her lyrics!

a song should be able to be R&B/have urban appeal without mutilating the English language :x
      last.fm

Comment

• I think she tries to take an active interest in her music, I mean, do you remember how upset she was that she couldn't help in the production of "Say Somethin'" because The Neptunes (from what I remember) strictly produce by themselves? I'm not sure why her music and lyrics are constantly changing in style, it does baffle me. Maybe with the next album her lyrics will be more intelligent and profound like the lyrics for "I Wish You Well" were.
        My Last.fm

Comment

• with this album it was Jay Z which said she shaould use the slang she uses in everyday life into her music and all the mariah-isms and things she likes like migrate, i cant even know what to say, pinot grigio etc It was nice i think but i like her with more depth it was cool with Its like that because there were alot more deeper songs on that album

Comment

• The album really isn't that bad. The single choices could have been better though. But quality-wise, I actually like this as a whole more than Emancipation, maybe just because this wasn't so overrated.

Comment

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This album is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! And IMO her best effort to date!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by firefairyangel
                The album really isn't that bad. The single choices could have been better though. But quality-wise, I actually like this as a whole more than Emancipation, maybe just because this wasn't so overrated.
                I agree, I can see why people might prefere TEOM though as it had more of a theme, alot of motown inspired songs so it seemed more cohesive and this album is kinda abit more all over the place, but I think it is more solid imo

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix98
                  Originally posted by Mooriah
                  Oh, and I also think she's responsible for using those big words like "disarming, incessantly, euphoric, fervid, emblazoned, hectic, rapture, reverie, incandescent, despondently" etc etc
                  I think it's the fact that she once put out well-written stuff like this that makes me dis-like the newer "slang"/"street" speak even more :-? feels like she's dumbing down her lyrics!

a song should be able to be R&B/have urban appeal without mutilating the English language :x
                  Exactly, I loved her articulate old lyrics which showed off her wide vocabulary too. And you're absolutely right Phoenix, she literally swapped one extreme for the other.

Compare:

"And I guess I'm trying to be nonchalant about it,
                  And I'm going to extremes to prove I'm fine without you,
                  But in reality I'm slowly losing my mind;
                  Underneath the guise of a smile, gradually I'm dying inside.
                  Friends ask me how I feel, and I lie convincingly
                  Because I don't want to reveal the fact that I'm suffering.
                  So I wear my disguise til I go home at night,
                  And turn out all the lights, and then I breakdown and cry."

to:

"I'm like that ooh-wee
                  You're fiendin' to blaze up and taste me
                  Got flava, like ice-cream
                  Cos I'm that chick you like
                  And you know you need this, man,
                  And you know I got this, man
                  Gonna be your everythin'
                  I'm that chick you like."

They're like totally different artists!! You certainly wouldn't think the first was written by a 26/27 year-old and the latter by a 38 year-old! I'm hope LA Reid takes a bit more control with the next album like he did TEOM, I think she needs someone to reign her in. The hot mid-tempos and club tracksare fine but she needs someone to push her to do the stronger, well-written ballads which made her an icon.

Comment

• Originally posted by firefly_86
                    Compare:

to:

"I'm like that ooh-wee
                    Gonna be your everythin'

amazing lyrics!! , what song was that?!! (the 1st one)
                    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Comment

• aww breakdown is my favourite mariah track everrrr! But to be fair for every breakdown close my eyes etc she still had songs like dreamlover which is hardly a masterpiece lyrically

Comment

• Originally posted by firefly_86
                        Originally posted by phoenix98
                        Originally posted by Mooriah

Exactly, I loved her articulate old lyrics which showed off her wide vocabulary too. And you're absolutely right Phoenix, she literally swapped one extreme for the other.

Compare:

to:

"I'm like that ooh-wee
                        Gonna be your everythin'

They're like totally different artists!! You certainly wouldn't think the first was written by a 26/27 year-old and the latter by a 38 year-old! I'm hope LA Reid takes a bit more control with the next album like he did TEOM, I think she needs someone to reign her in. The hot mid-tempos and club tracksare fine but she needs someone to push her to do the stronger, well-written ballads which made her an icon.
                        Breakdown is one of my favorite too, but it's stupid to compare those two. It's not like you can't find lyrics like I'm That Chick on her old albums, as well as you can fins really good lyrics on E=MC2 (Thanx For Nothing, Side Effects...)

Comment

• Originally posted by dereon
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't agree. IMO, the album is just boring and unavailing - there's nothing Mariah to differ from other artist - the same lyrics, the same music, the same authors/producers, even vocals (Mariah's vocals!!!?) are too poor. The same album can be issued under Rihanna, Ashanti or other R&B/pop-chick-type-singer's names - there's no Mariah's individuality at all!
                          My last.fm

Music is the thing touchin' my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by SoulDemon
                            Originally posted by dereon

Can't agree. IMO, the album is just boring and unavailing - there's no nothing Mariah to differ from other artist - the same lyrics, the same music, the same authors/producers, even vocals (Mariah's vocals!!!?) are too poor. The same album can be issued under Rihanna, Ashanti or other R&B/pop-chick-type-singer's names - there's no Mariah's individuality at all!

I agree to an extent but this is probably the most 'mariah' album shes done her personality is all over it!

Comment

• Originally posted by naughtynae
                              Originally posted by SoulDemon
                              Originally posted by dereon

Can't agree. IMO, the album is just boring and unavailing - there's no nothing Mariah to differ from other artist - the same lyrics, the same music, the same authors/producers, even vocals (Mariah's vocals!!!?) are too poor. The same album can be issued under Rihanna, Ashanti or other R&B/pop-chick-type-singer's names - there's no Mariah's individuality at all!
                              I agree to an extent but this is probably the most 'mariah' album shes done her personality is all over it!
                              Mariah said about her "personal album" every time - just remember: Butterfly - most personal, than Charmbracelet - most personal, than TEOM, now E=MC2... It's just PR decision.
                              What "real Mariah"-lyrics can you find in Migrate or Touch My Body??? or o.O.C.??? I doubt she even wrote all that.
                              I think she should leave L.A. Reid & his company and find new production company, because their influence are too distort her music.
                              P.S. Mariah is not the one who released "bad creative" albums under Antonio M. Reid's management - remember "Just Whitney" by Whitney Houston, "More Than A Woman" by Toni Braxton, "3D" by TLC, "Full Circle" by BoyzIIMen (last 2 were good but had no promo).
                              My last.fm

Comment

• I didnt mean its her most personal album... as a fan whos seen the interviews and behind the scene stuff over the years you know all the lingo she uses like for instance migrate etc this album (like she said) was meant to show her fun side which in alot of places it does

Comment

• Originally posted by naughtynae
                                  this album (like she said) was meant to show her fun side which in alot of places it does
                                  So her fun side is too boring IMO
                                  My last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by SoulDemon
                                    Originally posted by naughtynae
                                    this album (like she said) was meant to show her fun side which in alot of places it does
                                    So her fun side is too boring IMO
                                    fair enough lol

Comment

• Don't care what y'all say for me it's an R&B classic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Merci
                                        Originally posted by firefly_86
                                        Compare:

to:

"I'm like that ooh-wee
                                        Gonna be your everythin'

amazing lyrics!! , what song was that?!! (the 1st one)
                                        First one is Breakdown (on Butterfly album). Latter is I'm That Chick (on E=MC2)

Mariah's Butterfly era is my fave cause its so personal...
                                        | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• ^ lol && wats funny about that is I was listening to "I'm That Chick" as I was reading that post and then you bash the lyrics lmao.

Anyways, Butterfly was an album, along with The Emancipation of Mimi, that were made/written/sung without some big marketing plan stuck in their head. Every thing was written from heart, and those albums actually had concepts.

E=MC2, & Rainbow IMO were made with the thought that they can repeat success super quick, by controversial songs/lyrics & good management. Rainbow featured SOOOO many rappers (an album dying to be noticed), and was finished shortly, like EMC. The latter album, featured that 1 trendy line inside of each song that they were hoping could make each and every song an individual hit.

migrate - "click in shauntae & mae mae"
                                          touch my body - "then I best not catch this flick on youtube"
                                          cruise control - "6 baby mamas, he brings the drama"
                                          heat - "tryna look cute in ur best friends boots"
                                          i stay in love "hit the block, proud in that SUV"
                                          im that chick "im like that uptown haze them real thugs blaze"
                                          love story "and this aint gon end up like that cassablanco movie"

... lol yu get the picture.
                                          said like austin powers:
                                          "its mariah baybee yeah !"

Comment

• ^ I get what you mean But I'm thinking E=MC2 was an entirely different album initially but LA didnt think it was commercial enough cause there were reports he sent her back to make more 'singles' I wish shed do a beyonce and run away and hide and do the album she wants to make

Comment

• ^
                                              LMAOOOO, i wish i have friends who are shauntae and mae mae:(

But I agree, it's almost as if she's trying too hard to use those lines. I think this album is done and might only be revived with a re-release (eg. a super titanium edition) with new songs. Oh, and she needs to lock herself in a studio with Walter Afanasieff and ignore external influences.
                                              Emeli | Taylor

Comment

• lol my nick name being Nae I always say it as nae nae

What a sad person i am :(

Comment

• My bestie is Mei Ling. I guess I should start calling her mae mae now LOL
                                                  Emeli | Taylor

Comment

• Oh well I like this album. It's probably my favourite by her.

Surely the change in lyrics can be blamed on Jay-Z. I swear it was him who told her to make them more urban and modern.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X